Hallgarth Surgery

01388 772 662 Cheapside , Shildon, DL4 2HP

John Emmerson gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Top of the class!

I've been with this practice for as long as I can remember.
It's wonderful treatment.
All the staff give me great care and attention.
No complaints at all.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017

Chris Spence gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

First Class on every level

My elderly parents have been patients at this Practice for many years. They have been married for 69 years and it is thanks to the care and attention of all the staff at Hallgarth that they are able to continue living independently in their own home.
The reception and administration staff are all so friendly and welcoming; nothing is too much trouble.
The nurses and doctors are so kind and attentive,showing great respect and understanding for older people. The attention and treatment they receive is first class.
As someone who arranges and accompanies them to appointments it is a huge help to know there is always the support of Hallgarth Surgery.
Thankyou to everyone.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 18 May 2017

Anonymous reviewed Hallgarth Surgery

Appalling

My wife has been going back wards and forwards to this surgery for the last year trying to get some answers for her illness and what is wrong with her. Every time she goes it's a different doctor who does not even bother to read the notes. They ask the same questions as the last doctor or even better the one that really annoyed me was "so what do you think is wrong with yourself" I couldn't believe it. Well to top it all off imagine my surprise when we get a letter from the NHS saying we have wasted tax payers money for failing to turn up to an outpatient appointment. So I rang them to find out what this was all about they inform me that that the doctor at Shildon surgery had organised a referral for my wife. I then whent to the cheapside surgery to find out why this information had not been passed onto us. The staff were very vague un unhelpful. I then asked the receptionist what the referral was for and to my supplies they told me over the desk in hear shot of every one in the waiting room. I was astonished that such a breach of confidentiality had happened. I am annoyed and upset that my wife is still searching for answers to her illness and the incompetence at this surgary not mention the breach confidentiality that was broken. I will be making a formal complaint

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

why bother

Visited this surgery and I actually got a doctor appointment. The said doctor was unhelpful and if I actually do have the problem I believe I do, I will be visiting urgent care in the next 24/48 hours to get the medication I actually need (and have previously always been given) and an official complaint will be made. I hardly ever visit this surgery (I don't have a need to as I am fairly healthy) however if I did have need of a doctor a few times I would definitely leave this surgery.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

Sam gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely appalled by the surgery.Will be looking to change

From 7am this morning my daughter has been constipated. I rang 8:34am advised I need to come up to see someone. I was told I'd have to go on the triage ..why?? I'm that concerned about my daughter I will be driving to hospital. I wasn't waiting for the triage to ring to be then givin an appointment that wasn't within half an hour. I said I'll go 2 hospital and hung up. I rang 111. I'd sorted everything with 111 to go down straight away when I got a phone call telling me I had to go to the surgery and will be seen by gp straight away. I went and told them the reason I was not prepared to wait for the triage to call then they tell me I've got an appointment with possibly one of the worst ones I could possibly see. This person as far as I'm concerned isn't a proper gp and couldn't diagnose a fungal nail infection just yesterday and had to call the real gp in. I obviously sed no my daughter is in pain screaming that much that she went limp on the toilet I want her diagnosing properly. So they said I'd have to wait 40minutes. I had an appointment at the hospital to see a proper doctor at 9:15. I then had someone sticking their nose in and telling me I didn't have an appointment with them. I didn't say with them. I was fuming at this point ended up shouting at this person and walking out. I got my daughter sorted at the hospital quicker than there appointment. What kind of place are you running when you feel it's acceptable to leave a 3 year old in pain. Her poo is that compacted that this wouldnt of come out on its own which the surgery previously advised this is normal for my daughters age. No this is not normal. Sort your GPS out and your reception staff. I see by the reviews on here I'm not the only one who thinks this surgery is shocking

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Appalling service

I have been suffering with severe pains for many years now, no help from the doctors! I have just been told to come back whenever I want a baby to see if I am even able to have them?!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 25 November 2016

Brittany gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Horrendous

My nana rang for appointment this morning after she had been to hospital this morning and the hospital told her she had to ring the doctors this morning! So that what she did and she got told there was no appointment just for her to have little cheek up and the attitude on the phone was horrendous no customer service skills at all.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 05 September 2016

Appalling

I have been with this surgery for several years. The nurses are very good but that's about it. I work long, awkward shifts in a high stress job and their appointment system is not very good for people who work as you have to ring on the day. I have had several occasions where I have waited for a phone call off the triage system but never received a return call. I have had a doctor diagnose me with labyrinthitis when I actually had a trapped nerve in my neck (and they didn't even look in my ear). The same doctor was happy to let me remain at work despite telling them what I did for a living and that I was exhausted and couldn't cope. Only after I stressed to them how dangerous my occupation is, did they eventually sign me off. (They didn't bother checking my blood pressure or arranging for blood tests. The nurse at work has diagnosed me with possible chronic fatigue). I'm now having a chew on getting blood tests arranged because this should've been done at the time of my appointment. I have put up with a sub standard service for too long so I am now in the process of moving to another surgery. I don't go to the doctors very often but I have no faith in the GP I have seen and getting an appointment is a task in itself.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 30 January 2016

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Wonderful staff, awful system.

I'll start by saying the staff themselves are very nice, respectful, friendly, professional and helpful. I can't praise the staff from receptionists to nurses and gps themselves enough.

However the system is frustrating.

I can't ring at 8.30 so it's usually 9 am before I'm able to ring, and usually the triage system is full. You can't request to be added to the next mornings list for triage, you have to do the whole thing again. Walking in to surgery is more effective to me, I can answer the call when the triage service rings me and I can get to apps anytime, but I don't work.

My husband can't answer his phone at work, and they op won't ring over lunch as staff ( rightly ) are on their breaks too. So husband has a bigger hassle than me getting seen.

Neither of us have ever seen the doctor more than once. Which for an ongoing condition can be frustrating, as you have to repeat everything as it's like they don't have notes? Which takes up their valuable time and it's time that could be used to make more appointment slots.

Every time I need my contraceptive pill, I have a chew on, they won't allow me to just request script, they won't let me see them during normal surgery for script, so going to family planning session is only option, despite it being "walk in" you have to be there before 4.30 as there'll be no slots left, pre book able apps are always all gone for the next six weeks, to which I'm always told to "walk in" .

The few times I've took my chid, they talk to her, rather than have speak on her behalf, they treat her like a seperate person, which I think is great, it's giving them a say about their own bodies rather than just have mum say what they think is wrong.

Like I say, the staff are all wonderful, and because I don't work, the current system although annoying at times, I can get seen within the week, but husband and others who work, have a nightmare getting through, let alone organise an appointment.

It's a system used in many surgeries though and not the fault of the people working there, they get a lot if rude aggressive people yelling at them, which isn't on.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 08 January 2016

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

So far so good

We registered with Hallgarth Practice several months ago. We've used the Practice a few times and have been pleased with the reception, appointment making and the professional interest shown by staff, nurses and GPs. I am diabetic and feel my condition is being monitored and reviewed regularly and properly. We've no complaints or concerns....very happy so far.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 18 August 2015