Check here for alerts

Hallgarth Surgery

01388 772 662 Cheapside , Shildon, DL4 2HP

Sam gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely appalled by the surgery.Will be looking to change

From 7am this morning my daughter has been constipated. I rang 8:34am advised I need to come up to see someone. I was told I'd have to go on the triage ..why?? I'm that concerned about my daughter I will be driving to hospital. I wasn't waiting for the triage to ring to be then givin an appointment that wasn't within half an hour. I said I'll go 2 hospital and hung up. I rang 111. I'd sorted everything with 111 to go down straight away when I got a phone call telling me I had to go to the surgery and will be seen by gp straight away. I went and told them the reason I was not prepared to wait for the triage to call then they tell me I've got an appointment with possibly one of the worst ones I could possibly see. This person as far as I'm concerned isn't a proper gp and couldn't diagnose a fungal nail infection just yesterday and had to call the real gp in. I obviously sed no my daughter is in pain screaming that much that she went limp on the toilet I want her diagnosing properly. So they said I'd have to wait 40minutes. I had an appointment at the hospital to see a proper doctor at 9:15. I then had someone sticking their nose in and telling me I didn't have an appointment with them. I didn't say with them. I was fuming at this point ended up shouting at this person and walking out. I got my daughter sorted at the hospital quicker than there appointment. What kind of place are you running when you feel it's acceptable to leave a 3 year old in pain. Her poo is that compacted that this wouldnt of come out on its own which the surgery previously advised this is normal for my daughters age. No this is not normal. Sort your GPS out and your reception staff. I see by the reviews on here I'm not the only one who thinks this surgery is shocking

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Appalling service

I have been suffering with severe pains for many years now, no help from the doctors! I have just been told to come back whenever I want a baby to see if I am even able to have them?!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 25 November 2016

Brittany gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Horrendous

My nana rang for appointment this morning after she had been to hospital this morning and the hospital told her she had to ring the doctors this morning! So that what she did and she got told there was no appointment just for her to have little cheek up and the attitude on the phone was horrendous no customer service skills at all.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 05 September 2016

Appalling

I have been with this surgery for several years. The nurses are very good but that's about it. I work long, awkward shifts in a high stress job and their appointment system is not very good for people who work as you have to ring on the day. I have had several occasions where I have waited for a phone call off the triage system but never received a return call. I have had a doctor diagnose me with labyrinthitis when I actually had a trapped nerve in my neck (and they didn't even look in my ear). The same doctor was happy to let me remain at work despite telling them what I did for a living and that I was exhausted and couldn't cope. Only after I stressed to them how dangerous my occupation is, did they eventually sign me off. (They didn't bother checking my blood pressure or arranging for blood tests. The nurse at work has diagnosed me with possible chronic fatigue). I'm now having a chew on getting blood tests arranged because this should've been done at the time of my appointment. I have put up with a sub standard service for too long so I am now in the process of moving to another surgery. I don't go to the doctors very often but I have no faith in the GP I have seen and getting an appointment is a task in itself.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 30 January 2016

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Wonderful staff, awful system.

I'll start by saying the staff themselves are very nice, respectful, friendly, professional and helpful. I can't praise the staff from receptionists to nurses and gps themselves enough.

However the system is frustrating.

I can't ring at 8.30 so it's usually 9 am before I'm able to ring, and usually the triage system is full. You can't request to be added to the next mornings list for triage, you have to do the whole thing again. Walking in to surgery is more effective to me, I can answer the call when the triage service rings me and I can get to apps anytime, but I don't work.

My husband can't answer his phone at work, and they op won't ring over lunch as staff ( rightly ) are on their breaks too. So husband has a bigger hassle than me getting seen.

Neither of us have ever seen the doctor more than once. Which for an ongoing condition can be frustrating, as you have to repeat everything as it's like they don't have notes? Which takes up their valuable time and it's time that could be used to make more appointment slots.

Every time I need my contraceptive pill, I have a chew on, they won't allow me to just request script, they won't let me see them during normal surgery for script, so going to family planning session is only option, despite it being "walk in" you have to be there before 4.30 as there'll be no slots left, pre book able apps are always all gone for the next six weeks, to which I'm always told to "walk in" .

The few times I've took my chid, they talk to her, rather than have speak on her behalf, they treat her like a seperate person, which I think is great, it's giving them a say about their own bodies rather than just have mum say what they think is wrong.

Like I say, the staff are all wonderful, and because I don't work, the current system although annoying at times, I can get seen within the week, but husband and others who work, have a nightmare getting through, let alone organise an appointment.

It's a system used in many surgeries though and not the fault of the people working there, they get a lot if rude aggressive people yelling at them, which isn't on.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 08 January 2016

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

So far so good

We registered with Hallgarth Practice several months ago. We've used the Practice a few times and have been pleased with the reception, appointment making and the professional interest shown by staff, nurses and GPs. I am diabetic and feel my condition is being monitored and reviewed regularly and properly. We've no complaints or concerns....very happy so far.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 18 August 2015

Steph mulley gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 1 stars

appointment issue as per

So I have been having problems with my ear for the last three weeks so I decided to make an appointment with a doctor who gave me ear spray then the ear spray wasn't working so made another appointment couldn't get into see the same doctor because they are only on certain days. So I go back up with a appointment with a nurse who gave me amocicillon for a week they took the pain away but I'm still deaf. So makes another appointment and the receptionist on the phone told me Thursday at 4:55 and I have just been up and they told me it was yesterday the earliest appointment I can get with a nurse is Monday do tell me what good is Monday .......also what good is it going to yet another person who doesn't no my previous about my ear. You seriously can not make an appointment with this doctors surgery with out having a problem. Absolutely fuming.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 18 June 2015

shocking

I am highly frustrated by this surgery. Not only did i have to wait a whole week for an appointment, due to being unable to use triage service, when i finally got to my appointment it was 30 minutes before i got seen! In my opinion that's appalling. I had no apology for the wait From the doctor I saw, nor had they even bothered to read my notes to see why i had attended. I had been to urgent care on the previous Tuesday, had a urine sample sent off and the doctor i saw seemed greatly concerned that something was wrong. However the doctor i saw today(Friday) was not. They brushed my concerns off like they were crumbs on their lap. It's not good enough Hallgarth. get it sorted or I'll be moving surgeries!

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 29 May 2015

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Triage system needs review

You wait on hold for what seems like ages, when you finally get through you are told that someone will have to ring you back,which is impossible if you work in a job that does not allow you to keep your phone switched on. When they finally do ring you back they tell you you need an appointment. Would it not be more efficient and less frustrating to make you an appointment in the first place? Appointments with actual doctors are like gold dust and the online appointment system is not set up.
On the positive when I have managed to weave my way through this system and get an appointment I have found the staff helpful and efficient.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 05 October 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 2 stars

shocking appointment system

Have been trying for 10 days to get an appointment with a certain doctor, a couple of times I have managed to get through at 8.40am and told there were no appointments left. Actually went along myself at 8.35am last Tuesday before I went to work and guess what, no appointments left. Rang again Monday morning this week 8.40am, nothing left - put on triage and doctor rang me back offering me a choice of two appointments for tomorrow? (supposed to be none available to book) This system does not seem to be any good for people working - have been with the surgery for over 65 years but very unsettled at the minute - maybe time for a change!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 30 September 2014