Hallgarth Surgery

01388 772 662 Cheapside , Shildon, DL4 2HP

Appalling

I have been with this surgery for several years. The nurses are very good but that's about it. I work long, awkward shifts in a high stress job and their appointment system is not very good for people who work as you have to ring on the day. I have had several occasions where I have waited for a phone call off the triage system but never received a return call. I have had a doctor diagnose me with labyrinthitis when I actually had a trapped nerve in my neck (and they didn't even look in my ear). The same doctor was happy to let me remain at work despite telling them what I did for a living and that I was exhausted and couldn't cope. Only after I stressed to them how dangerous my occupation is, did they eventually sign me off. (They didn't bother checking my blood pressure or arranging for blood tests. The nurse at work has diagnosed me with possible chronic fatigue). I'm now having a chew on getting blood tests arranged because this should've been done at the time of my appointment. I have put up with a sub standard service for too long so I am now in the process of moving to another surgery. I don't go to the doctors very often but I have no faith in the GP I have seen and getting an appointment is a task in itself.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 30 January 2016

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Wonderful staff, awful system.

I'll start by saying the staff themselves are very nice, respectful, friendly, professional and helpful. I can't praise the staff from receptionists to nurses and gps themselves enough.

However the system is frustrating.

I can't ring at 8.30 so it's usually 9 am before I'm able to ring, and usually the triage system is full. You can't request to be added to the next mornings list for triage, you have to do the whole thing again. Walking in to surgery is more effective to me, I can answer the call when the triage service rings me and I can get to apps anytime, but I don't work.

My husband can't answer his phone at work, and they op won't ring over lunch as staff ( rightly ) are on their breaks too. So husband has a bigger hassle than me getting seen.

Neither of us have ever seen the doctor more than once. Which for an ongoing condition can be frustrating, as you have to repeat everything as it's like they don't have notes? Which takes up their valuable time and it's time that could be used to make more appointment slots.

Every time I need my contraceptive pill, I have a chew on, they won't allow me to just request script, they won't let me see them during normal surgery for script, so going to family planning session is only option, despite it being "walk in" you have to be there before 4.30 as there'll be no slots left, pre book able apps are always all gone for the next six weeks, to which I'm always told to "walk in" .

The few times I've took my chid, they talk to her, rather than have speak on her behalf, they treat her like a seperate person, which I think is great, it's giving them a say about their own bodies rather than just have mum say what they think is wrong.

Like I say, the staff are all wonderful, and because I don't work, the current system although annoying at times, I can get seen within the week, but husband and others who work, have a nightmare getting through, let alone organise an appointment.

It's a system used in many surgeries though and not the fault of the people working there, they get a lot if rude aggressive people yelling at them, which isn't on.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 08 January 2016

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

So far so good

We registered with Hallgarth Practice several months ago. We've used the Practice a few times and have been pleased with the reception, appointment making and the professional interest shown by staff, nurses and GPs. I am diabetic and feel my condition is being monitored and reviewed regularly and properly. We've no complaints or concerns....very happy so far.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 18 August 2015

Steph mulley gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 1 stars

appointment issue as per

So I have been having problems with my ear for the last three weeks so I decided to make an appointment with a doctor who gave me ear spray then the ear spray wasn't working so made another appointment couldn't get into see the same doctor because they are only on certain days. So I go back up with a appointment with a nurse who gave me amocicillon for a week they took the pain away but I'm still deaf. So makes another appointment and the receptionist on the phone told me Thursday at 4:55 and I have just been up and they told me it was yesterday the earliest appointment I can get with a nurse is Monday do tell me what good is Monday .......also what good is it going to yet another person who doesn't no my previous about my ear. You seriously can not make an appointment with this doctors surgery with out having a problem. Absolutely fuming.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 18 June 2015

shocking

I am highly frustrated by this surgery. Not only did i have to wait a whole week for an appointment, due to being unable to use triage service, when i finally got to my appointment it was 30 minutes before i got seen! In my opinion that's appalling. I had no apology for the wait From the doctor I saw, nor had they even bothered to read my notes to see why i had attended. I had been to urgent care on the previous Tuesday, had a urine sample sent off and the doctor i saw seemed greatly concerned that something was wrong. However the doctor i saw today(Friday) was not. They brushed my concerns off like they were crumbs on their lap. It's not good enough Hallgarth. get it sorted or I'll be moving surgeries!

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 29 May 2015

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Triage system needs review

You wait on hold for what seems like ages, when you finally get through you are told that someone will have to ring you back,which is impossible if you work in a job that does not allow you to keep your phone switched on. When they finally do ring you back they tell you you need an appointment. Would it not be more efficient and less frustrating to make you an appointment in the first place? Appointments with actual doctors are like gold dust and the online appointment system is not set up.
On the positive when I have managed to weave my way through this system and get an appointment I have found the staff helpful and efficient.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 05 October 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 2 stars

shocking appointment system

Have been trying for 10 days to get an appointment with a certain doctor, a couple of times I have managed to get through at 8.40am and told there were no appointments left. Actually went along myself at 8.35am last Tuesday before I went to work and guess what, no appointments left. Rang again Monday morning this week 8.40am, nothing left - put on triage and doctor rang me back offering me a choice of two appointments for tomorrow? (supposed to be none available to book) This system does not seem to be any good for people working - have been with the surgery for over 65 years but very unsettled at the minute - maybe time for a change!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 30 September 2014

Appalling

Trying to get an appointment is extremely difficult! I tried to go to the 'walk in' family planning clinic tonight. They were fully booked despite me arriving an hour and a half before closing. I asked whether I could make an appointment to be told to there's none available until the end of next month. I asked what time the 'walk in' is available to be told I would have to be there for 4.30. As I work till 5 in a different town this isn't possible. The surgery's appointment system is purely for the unemployed with no thought to the rest of us. Disgraceful service!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 June 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Re: Hallgarth Surgery, Shildon - good customer relations

My mother who is a patient of the doctor had recurring UTIs over the last month or so.
I live in Berkshire and spoke on the phone to an assistant at the surgery, who was most professional and sympathetic to my plight - living in Berkshire and having a mum in Shildon. I had just returned from looking after her when the UTI infection needed more antibios. They were very caring and considerate and in the speed of light managed to get the doctor to over see writing a further prescription for antibios. My mum is over 90 and now back to former good health and mobility.
Too often there are complaints about the NHS service but this not one of those - quite the opposite it is to say thank you.
Annette

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 13 July 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Generally positive with room for simple improvement

There are some excellent staff at this surgery but their popularity inevitably means that it can be difficult to gain appointments with them. These GP's have excellent social skills, are friendly, kind, genuinely sympathetic and interested, motivated to help resolve your query and will offer follow up support if needed. The surgery would be dramatically improved simply by other GP's adopting this same style of practice. I have seen two GP's who did not seem to deal well with treating a pregnant woman, perhaps more staff training would resolve this? One insisted I had muscular pain, which turned out to be kidney stones; on another occasion telling me I could safely take aspirin when in fact my midwife told me I cannot and should instantly stop doing so.They also seemed disinterested in supporting me though the miscarriage I had experienced prior to my current pregnancy. Another GP told me the medication my consultant had prescribed could stop my unborn baby breathing. This scaremongering was deeply upsetting and turned out to be incorrect information.

The triage system would benefit from a review as gaining appointments can be difficult, especially with the more popular GP's. Sometimes you will be asked to see a Nurse Practitioner, although I have generally found these members of staff very helpful. Reception is generally ok but sometimes you can feel a bit like a nuisance and have to push to get the advice or information you need. You can only ring for repeat prescriptions between certain hours, which seems a little silly. Those members of staff who get it right, are those who show kindness, good manners and don't make you feel as though you are wasting their time.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 18 May 2014