Hallgarth Surgery

Telephone: 01388 772 662
Address: Cheapside, Shildon, Co Durham, DL4 2HP
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

if I could change surgeries I would!

After 35 years at this surgery it pains me to say that if I could leave I would. I am moving my children from here now and as soon as I am able I will be going. Appt system is a joke. You can only phone from half eight which is right in the middle of commute/school run and that is just to get on triage list. Rang today at 8.45 while stood in school yard and all triage appts gone. Explained it was for a child as they are supposed to have priority and they told me to ring 111. 111 told me he needs to see gp so rang them back and still don't want to know. Rang another gp surgery to transfer them to and they are welcoming them with warm and open arms. My experience with 111 was excellent too. It's a shame you have to rely on someone miles away instead of your own gp. Mind, I'm really not sure who my gp is anymore.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 04 April 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 4 stars

the good and the bad at hallgarth surgery

the appointment system needs an overhaul. on monday's for example
try telephoning st 8.30am and you will be very lucky to get through.
after numerous attempts you eventually do get through only to find that
no appointments are available and you are told by the receptionist to try
the following day. this is exceptionally frustrating. however i find that the triage system is good, and the doctors that are currently at the surgery are
are as good as any i've seen in the 70+ years that i've been with
the practice. it would be nice if i was asked which doctor i wanted to see.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 15 April 2013

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Heart problems

I was diagnosed with bronchitis by a hospital GP which had also resulted in me having irregular heart beats. My family GP has been very thorough in arranging blood tests, heart scan and an appointment with a cardiologist.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 05 March 2013

Anonymous recommended Hallgarth Surgery

Great Doctors, appointment system needs review.

What I liked

If the triage service worked effectively, this would be a good surgery. Sometimes the Nurse Practioners are quick to dismiss your symptoms and decide that you do not need to see a GP, when infact you do. They need to realise that for peace of mind at least, only seeing a doctor will do at times.

The GPs are excellent. One in particular. They listen carefully to your problems, writes them down and asks questions. You are made to feel that your symptoms are important to them, and they take care to ensure you understand what they have diagnosed.

Overall, the appointment system needs careful review, the Nurse Practioners on the triage service need to realise patients needs (we don't just ring because we fancy hanging out at the Surgery!), and the GPs need to stay there for a long while because they are very good.

What could have been improved

The Nurse Practioners attitude when they ring you back (Triage)

Visited in July 2012. Posted on 30 July 2012

Anonymous reviewed Hallgarth Surgery

Very poor.

What I liked

When you do see a doctor eventually, thats fine. Just wish it was a doctor that was willing to stay at the surgery for years.

What could have been improved

Not been fobbed off with having to wait for a phone call off a triage nurse, when sometimes you just know only a doctor will do.

Any other comments

Considering changing surgerys, sad really after been there for more than 40 years.

Visited in June 2012. Posted on 26 June 2012

Anonymous did not recommend Hallgarth Surgery

What could have been improved

If myself or my family members need to see a doctor I would like to be able to turn up and wait, it would also be nice to ring the surgery and make an appointment for later that day or even, god forbid a day that has not yet dawned... What i dont want is to go through the agony of having to ring on the strike of 8.30 to be told either that there are no appointments left and to please attend the urgent care centre in Bishop Auckland, or to be told a triage nurse will call back later in the day to assess wether I actually need to see a doctor. I understand that the health service is abused by a minority of people who run to the doctors with a runny nose, however - most people are capable of deciding if they need to be seen or not.
Infuriating!
Terrible appointment system.

Visited in May 2012. Posted on 22 May 2012

Anonymous recommended Hallgarth Surgery

generally ok but could be better

What I liked

I initially saw a locum doctor who diagnosed me with an inner ear infection. I only received the right diagnosis after seeing the nurse who spotted the signs and got one of the resident doctors to see me. They correctly diagnosed a trapped nerve in my neck! I got the right treatment but only because i booked a further appointment.

What could have been improved

Not having to go through the rigmarole of ringing up on the day to try and get a follow up appointment.

Any other comments

I think most surgeries are the same these days, its a sign of the state the NHS is in. I'm seriously looking at going private. After having a re occurring water infection i just got anti biotics thrown at me each and every time. I even rang up but the nurse failed to call me back! If you want good service you have to go private.

Visited in March 2012. Posted on 13 March 2012

Anonymous did not recommend Hallgarth Surgery

Seriously considering changing surgeries!

What could have been improved

The GP I saw last, lacked basic medical knowledge and manners. They were unaware of a medical condition I had, asking me to explain what it was. This is not a rare or infrequent condition! The GP also showed a lack of basic nutritional knowledge. The Doctor was also lacking patient/people skills.

Visited in September 2011. Posted on 08 September 2011

appoitments

What I liked

automatic telephone system , after nunerous calls you eventually get thro' to the reception
only to be told that there are no more appointments available for that day and please try the
following day.! Also you rarely see the same Doctor twice running.

Visited in December 2009. Posted on 03 January 2010