Hallgarth Surgery

Address: Cheapside, Shildon, Co Durham, DL4 2HP
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Re: Hallgarth Surgery, Shildon - good customer relations

My mother who is a patient of the doctor had recurring UTIs over the last month or so.
I live in Berkshire and spoke on the phone to an assistant at the surgery, who was most professional and sympathetic to my plight - living in Berkshire and having a mum in Shildon. I had just returned from looking after her when the UTI infection needed more antibios. They were very caring and considerate and in the speed of light managed to get the doctor to over see writing a further prescription for antibios. My mum is over 90 and now back to former good health and mobility.
Too often there are complaints about the NHS service but this not one of those - quite the opposite it is to say thank you.
Annette

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 13 July 2014

Appalling

Trying to get an appointment is extremely difficult! I tried to go to the 'walk in' family planning clinic tonight. They were fully booked despite me arriving an hour and a half before closing. I asked whether I could make an appointment to be told to there's none available until the end of next month. I asked what time the 'walk in' is available to be told I would have to be there for 4.30. As I work till 5 in a different town this isn't possible. The surgery's appointment system is purely for the unemployed with no thought to the rest of us. Disgraceful service!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 June 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Hard for workers

The triage system is hard for me, I work in a factory and can't always have my phone with me. The receptionist do ask if you get a break but when I say my break is 12 not triage available at that time. They have a late clinic but this is not with a doctor. Think they should realise that workers can't wait around for a phone call they are getting paid to work. I know you can pre book an appointment but you don't know a few weeks in advance that you are going to be poorly.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 20 May 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Generally positive with room for simple improvement

There are some excellent staff at this surgery but their popularity inevitably means that it can be difficult to gain appointments with them. These GP's have excellent social skills, are friendly, kind, genuinely sympathetic and interested, motivated to help resolve your query and will offer follow up support if needed. The surgery would be dramatically improved simply by other GP's adopting this same style of practice. I have seen two GP's who did not seem to deal well with treating a pregnant woman, perhaps more staff training would resolve this? One insisted I had muscular pain, which turned out to be kidney stones; on another occasion telling me I could safely take aspirin when in fact my midwife told me I cannot and should instantly stop doing so.They also seemed disinterested in supporting me though the miscarriage I had experienced prior to my current pregnancy. Another GP told me the medication my consultant had prescribed could stop my unborn baby breathing. This scaremongering was deeply upsetting and turned out to be incorrect information.

The triage system would benefit from a review as gaining appointments can be difficult, especially with the more popular GP's. Sometimes you will be asked to see a Nurse Practitioner, although I have generally found these members of staff very helpful. Reception is generally ok but sometimes you can feel a bit like a nuisance and have to push to get the advice or information you need. You can only ring for repeat prescriptions between certain hours, which seems a little silly. Those members of staff who get it right, are those who show kindness, good manners and don't make you feel as though you are wasting their time.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 18 May 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Appontment to see a G.P. rarely given

Triage system in use and you rarely get to see a doctor. The practice is run on a shoestring by nurse practitioners and nurses in general. Pre bookable appointments in my opinion do not exist, I have on two recent separate occasions told they were none and on one occasion to ring 101 where having spoken to an operative was quickly transferred to hospital by the emergency 999 crew. After leaving hospital and undergoing numerous tests , I was told to contact my G.P. but yet again I was denied an appointment and seen by a nurse practitioner. A relative has to have an E.C.G. but at the time of requesting was told that they did not have one at the moment as it was broken and they were expecting a new one shortly. That was four weeks ago.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 15 May 2014

terrible practice

I have been with this surgery for nearly 30 years, I moved away and registered with a different practice 2 years ago I moved back and registered again, recently I needed an appointment so I called the practice, the receptionist checked the system and apparently im not registered and never have been even though my parents have proof I was. I have registered with another practice as they have clearly lost all my information.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 24 April 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 3 stars

if I could change surgeries I would!

After 35 years at this surgery it pains me to say that if I could leave I would. I am moving my children from here now and as soon as I am able I will be going. Appt system is a joke. You can only phone from half eight which is right in the middle of commute/school run and that is just to get on triage list. Rang today at 8.45 while stood in school yard and all triage appts gone. Explained it was for a child as they are supposed to have priority and they told me to ring 111. 111 told me he needs to see gp so rang them back and still don't want to know. Rang another gp surgery to transfer them to and they are welcoming them with warm and open arms. My experience with 111 was excellent too. It's a shame you have to rely on someone miles away instead of your own gp. Mind, I'm really not sure who my gp is anymore.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 04 April 2014

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 4 stars

the good and the bad at hallgarth surgery

the appointment system needs an overhaul. on monday's for example
try telephoning st 8.30am and you will be very lucky to get through.
after numerous attempts you eventually do get through only to find that
no appointments are available and you are told by the receptionist to try
the following day. this is exceptionally frustrating. however i find that the triage system is good, and the doctors that are currently at the surgery are
are as good as any i've seen in the 70+ years that i've been with
the practice. it would be nice if i was asked which doctor i wanted to see.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 15 April 2013

Anonymous gave Hallgarth Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Heart problems

I was diagnosed with bronchitis by a hospital GP which had also resulted in me having irregular heart beats. My family GP has been very thorough in arranging blood tests, heart scan and an appointment with a cardiologist.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 05 March 2013

Anonymous recommended Hallgarth Surgery

Great Doctors, appointment system needs review.

What I liked

If the triage service worked effectively, this would be a good surgery. Sometimes the Nurse Practioners are quick to dismiss your symptoms and decide that you do not need to see a GP, when infact you do. They need to realise that for peace of mind at least, only seeing a doctor will do at times.

The GPs are excellent. One in particular. They listen carefully to your problems, writes them down and asks questions. You are made to feel that your symptoms are important to them, and they take care to ensure you understand what they have diagnosed.

Overall, the appointment system needs careful review, the Nurse Practioners on the triage service need to realise patients needs (we don't just ring because we fancy hanging out at the Surgery!), and the GPs need to stay there for a long while because they are very good.

What could have been improved

The Nurse Practioners attitude when they ring you back (Triage)

Visited in July 2012. Posted on 30 July 2012