Barnard Medical Group

020 8302 7721 43 Granville Road , Sidcup, Kent, DA14 4TA

Anthony J Pullig gave Barnard Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

A poorly managed and operated practice

Having read the earlier reviews of other patients I have to agree with the following: It is not uncommon to have to wait for in excess of 20 minutes to have an the appointment desk answer the telephone. I gave up today, my daughter has also experienced a similar problem when trying virtually all day to have a telephone call answered. In discussing the issue with the practice management I was told that there was only room for three staff in reception and one member was off sick. my thoughts are that are to build out the receptionists areas into the patient waiting area (there are always empty seats there) and employ more staff. But this involves a financial cost and it appears that the practice has taken on too many patients and is incapable of servicing reasonably this number. I have been a patient of this practice since 1980 and have not been aware of such poor patient care as is now the case. I find that there is a demand by the receptionists for a description or detail of medical information for which they are not entitled nor qualified to make any medical judgement on before gracing the patient with an appointment. I have recently undergone an operation and as part of the aftercare the district nurse advised me to contact my GP and obtain a home visit because of obvious complications. My wife phoned for such a home visit and was told by the receptionist that such complications were to be expected and that I would not be granted a home visit but that a telephone appointment would be arranged. the telephone appointment was kept and the doctor was content that there was no issue. I have since seen my consultant surgeon who has referred me for an urgent scan because of the symptons as described in the GP telephone appointment. The patient service clearly very poor, the practice is clearly over subscribed for its size of staff and also in my opinion some of the doctors employed, the reception staff and practice management are clearly not capable of performing at an acceptable standard. I will be submitting a complaint to NHS England!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 08 December 2016

Should be investigated

I have been at this surgery since the day I was born. All the doctors have recently changed and the new doctors leave myself with very little confidence in what they are saying and doing. Trying to get an appointment in itself is a challenge and once there you have the battle of finding a parking space then a check in with a rude receptionist then a running late doctor who seems very inexperienced. Massive downhill that has left me looking for a new family doctors

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 16 November 2016

Rude Receptionist, No appointments

I have been with this practice for 5 years, Receptionist are Rude and abrupt. Never offered an appointment. Receptionist advises you to go to urgent care. Took me over a week calling at 8am to make an appointment for my child. In the end I took her to urgent care, where she was given a rare high dose of antibiotics as she was so poorly. I wouldn't recommend this surgery and I will be moving myself and my children to another surgery. I have asked over and over for the staff to explain to me the appointment system, never get a straight answer. I have spoken to the practice Manager who is very unhelpful and very rude.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 05 December 2016

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Reception staff terribly rude& appts hard to get

We have been registered at the practice for almost 3 years and in that time it has gone downhill dramatically. Issues are: availability of appointments and attitude of reception staff. Most of the doctors we have seen have been great - no complaints there. But the reception staff are unbelievably rude. Despite being polite and courteous towards them, they are unfriendly and actually hostile most of the time. Things improved for a short while earlier in 2016 but are back to being dreadful again. I'm sure they are under a lot of pressure but it's no excuse for the way they treat patients and is a real shame they behave so poorly - creates a horrible atmosphere in the place.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 18 October 2016

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Can‘t get through to them

Tried to call for a telephone appointment with Doctor about blood test. Waited,waited for someone to pick up the phone to speak to me. Gave up after waiting over 20 mins. What a service ! Can‘t seen to be able to see the same GP anymore unless you book far apart or reason of GP leaving!!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 20 October 2016

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

Surgery is slipping

I have today received another letter cancelling my appointment with a nurse for my asthma check up. No reason given. Also sending a letter is time wasting and expensive. All the surgery could have done is call patients to rearrange or leave messages for patients to call the surgery. It is also extremely difficult getting through to Barnard Medical Centre. When phoning I am waiting for ages or there is something wrong with their phones. Automated message asking me to key in extension number on many occasions. When you call back they are now engaged. I have been with Barnard since 2005 and have always rated very highly the surgery. In 2016 I have seen the services or rather lack of it deteriorate slowly. I have problems with repeat prescriptions when the staff whom deal with this decide to not include on the prescription or they just ignore. It would be much easier if the person dealing with the repeat prescriptions has a query they ring the patient and not wait until the patient is picking up the prescription from the chemist to be told of the shortfalls. Unfortunately good staff leave and they are not replaced and therefore patients are suffering. I am sorry to give a negative review but under the circumstances I felt I had no choice as the surgery overall is now severely slipping. Thank you.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 25 October 2016

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Practice a rating of 4 stars

Rude receptionist

Once you get by the receptionist the doctors and nurses are fab and professional. I am a nurse myself but the reception staff need sorting out (may I add not all of them). The receptionist where I work would never speak to patients in that manner.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 01 November 2016

Anonymous reviewed Barnard Medical Practice

Suregery is Slipping

I always rated this surgery first class. However, over recent months the service is slipping rapidly. It is extremely difficult getting through to the Barnard Medical Practice as their lines are continuously engaged. When you finally get through either all the appointments are gone or again I am told to ring on the day. What is the point of having an appointment system if on the majority of occasions we are told to ring on the day for an appointment. You could make a quick appointment to see a nurse for weighing etc. but now everything has to be done through a doctor. The surgery used to have a particular member of staff but I have not seen them in ages. We need more people like them. Lastly, I find that the prescription clerks always get my repeat prescriptions wrong. Most months I am on the phone between the surgery and the chemist to find out what is happening. They are only clerks not doctors and they apparently decide what they think a patient needs. Also they are not very pleasant to talk to. However, all the doctors and reception staff are willing to help and are polite and professional. Surgery Needs to address prescrption clerks role, difficulty in getting through to surgery and no appointments available. Thank you

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

Barnard Medical Practice replied on 18 October 2016

We are sorry that you found it difficult to get an appointment. We do have appointments bookable up to 4 weeks in advance and more appointments available on the day. You can register via our website to book appointments on-line. We also offer eConsult and telephone appointments. If you on unable to get an appointment and have an urgent problem, you will be directed to our Triage GP. We process prescription requests within 48 hours. If there are queries to your usual prescriptions, a GP will need to review the medication before it is issued.

worst reception people

The receptionists are so rude over the phone and in the surgery, they don't answer the calls. They are not friendly or approachable in anyway and if I'm I honest I really think they should be secretly inspected on how they treat people. Tried to to get a prescription sent to a different city as I'm working on tour and even though my friend provided an envelope and first class stamp with an address they seemed unhappy to do it for me when actually it is a very simple task! You can never book an appointment in advance even if you work all the hours that they are open they will not accept that you work and say there is nothing they can do. When you do get an appointment they make out that it is an absolute struggle for them. The GP's are nice and helpful but the receptionists have made me change my medical practice. I would advice anyone to steer clear of this practice if you actually want to be helped when you are unwell.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Completely satisfied

I have been a patient with the Barnard Medical Practice for almost 11 years and have nothing but praise for all members of staff including admin and medical staff. I am totally aware that the population of Sidcup has increased somewhat over the last 20 years and have worked in the NHS myself in the past so am fully aware of the problems this causes. All GP surgeries are experiencing problems with over subscribing but if you are the person moving into the area you expect to be able to register with the surgery of your choice - that surgery has no option but to accept your request - unlike a car park that puts up a full sign! I have called at 8am for an appointment and been told they are fully booked but am always offered a call back from the Duty Doctor - I have also always been informed I can book in advance - my repeat prescription has always been ready on time ie 48 hours after requesting. I have waited up to an hour to be seen by my doctor and it doesn't really take much intelligence to work out that not every person is the same and will take the same amount of time to deal with. I have myself taken more than 10 minutes to sort out. I have listened to the staff being abused by patients when it quite clearly isn't their fault and they are doing their best. I have watched whilst GP's and Nurses have seen extra patients who have walked into surgery without an appointment. How can you not be satisfied with a service like that. There are quite a few GP surgeries in Sidcup - we have a choice who we register with - Don't we?

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016