GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road

020 8515 9300 3-7 Welbeck Road, Harrow , Harrow, HA2 0RQ

Mushtaque Shaikh reviewed GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road

GP Direct Services

We have been with GP Direct for around 15 years. From the time we registered with the surgery me and my family are very happy with the services. The team of Doctors are good. Specially two in particular are very good and take good care. Most of the time we do get the appointments over the phone. Sometimes the wait over phone is long and appointments do get filled. However the surgery does provide same day emergency appointments to accomodate urgent/emergency need. The new look centrally airconditioned surgery at Wellbeck Road is very nice and has a soothing ambiance.The reception and waiting area with the new seating arrangement are really good. Over all we are happy our healthcare is in good hands.We look forward to continued good and improved services from GP Direct.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 04 May 2017

Dear patient,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments about the practice and its staff.

GP Direct

Anonymous gave GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road a rating of 5 stars

Service Professionalism in Brand new modern surroundings

The practise has offered me an echellent service over the past years but ecen more during difficult times. The Receptionustd have been Polite and helpfull. I have been able to book required appointments with the GP of my
Choice and have always been treated with care and respect.The extended opening times meant that i did mot have to take much time off work to
Get to tbe surgery. The new clean modern practise is great and it is lovely to see the mixture of the old and the new people working as a team.it is also great to see new services have been added now that the space allows it
Well done to all who have worked hard and long for this project. I wish them the best for the future and i am looking forward to more years of excellent service delivered with care.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Dear patient,

Thank you for your positive comments about the practice.

David gave GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road a rating of 1 stars

Terrible terrible practice

Full of locum never see same doctor twice and admin staff the most unhelpful I have ever come across

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Dear David,

I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the service offered by the practice. We genuinely strive to offer a high standard of care to all patients and we are sorry if the service you have received has fallen below this standard.

It would help us to investigate your concerns fully so we would strongly request that you speak to us directly so that we can look into the specific nature of the problems you encountered.

The comment above addresses two issues, namely that the practice uses too many locums and the unhelpfulness of the admin staff. I have tried to address these concerns below as best as possible without knowing the specific nature of your experience.

1) Practice is full of locums and never being able to see the same doctor twice

The practice constantly reviews its staffing resources, both of clinical (GPs and nurses) and admin (receptionists and back office staff). With respect to the GP resources at the practice I can confirm that in April and May 2017 our use of locum GPs as a percentage of the overall number of permanent GP sessions offered (partners and salaried) was only 4.5%. As a practice we have made a concerted effort to reduce the use of locum GPs in order to provide better continuity of care for our patients, but the use of locums at times is necessary to cover periods of leave, sickness or high demand. We avoid the use of agency locums and instead use a pool of local GP locums, who are known to the practice or who work in the local area. This provides a better level of continuity and ensures they are aware of the local population's needs.

In terms of not being able to see the same doctor twice, we are sorry this has been your experience. We offer patients the option of booking up to four weeks in advance, however, for issues which may need to be dealt with more urgently patients may need to see the next available GP. We try and strike a balance between advanced access and the need to offer appointments at short notice, this is a challenge for most GP practices, particularly those with a large GP workforce. In the most recent patient survey (GP Patient Survey), which is available online, 42% of patients stated they were able to see their preferred GP always or a lot of the time and 54% stated they could see them some of the time. It is an area where can improve but clearly shows that access to a preferred GP is not quite as bad as your experience has been.

2) Unhelpful admin staff

We are very sorry to hear that you have found the admin staff to be unhelpful. We try to create an patient centred ethos and if this has not been your experience we are truly sorry. If you can provide us with more information we will investigate your concerns fully. Overall, satisfaction with the reception staff is very high, with 93% of patients stating that they were helpful in the most recent GP Patient Survey results (this is well above both the local and national average).

Please feel free to contact the practice so we can look into your specific concerns. Please request to speak to the practice manager (Bimal Gandhi) or me (service development manager).

Owais gave GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road a rating of 1 stars

Unable to register

Arrived in the UK a couple of months ago; went to register with my my family on the 1st of October, but despite being told it would only take 2-3 working days, almost a month later I've been told none of us have been registered. I've called multiple times and have been told that it will either be done the next day or someone will contact me back. Poor, poor quality of admin and will be lodging a complaint.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 24 October 2016

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 14 June 2017

Dear Owais,

We are very sorry that you had problems with registering at the practice. This is not the usual standard of service we expect our patients or prospective patients to receive. I trust you were contacted at the time of this event to resolve this issue.

Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Service Development Manager

Anonymous gave GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road a rating of 1 stars

GP feedback

If you want an appointment don't ring because they have no provision to provide medical appointments to those that require them. Unhelpful telephone staff who don't answer the phone, an automated system which does not work .... don't waste your time on such a pathetic service. Horrific. Not to mention the time I finally saw the doctor who then told me that no scan was available and it was ''in gods hands'', when I was bleeding in my 4th month of pregnancy. Shocking.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 31 January 2017

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 31 January 2017

I am very sorry that you have had a poor experience with the practice. Please can you contact the practice manager, Ann Knight, or the Service Development Manager, Omer Hussein, so that we may look into your complaint. We will investigate both your concerns about the appointment system as well as the consultation with the doctor that you saw. However, in order to do that, we will need you to contact us directly so that we may look into your specific issues and the dates and times they occurred.

We pride ourselves on delivering a high quality service, with good access to appointments and very high satisfaction scores with the clinical team, so it is crucial for us to look into any deviation from this so that we can look at gaps in the service and improve the care we provide to our patients.

Service Development Manager

Srijana Thapa gave GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road a rating of 5 stars

Excellence service and polite staff

I would like to thank you and appreciate the services and care provided by GP direct staff specially one doctor in particular. They are one of the best doctor and very conscious about their patient. They always take a very good care and suggests what is the best for the patient. My granddad always used to have a problem with back pain, constipation and swollen foot and when i asked the doctor i always get the answer as its because of his age. But, they never tried to give him different medication to see any improvement. But, when i see this doctor, they changed all the medication that he used to take and gave him what is the best according to his bmi. Now, my grandad is fit and fine. He is not suffering as before. Thank you Dr. You are the finest doctor specially for an elderly people and you are an asset for GP Direct. :)

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 30 September 2016

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 31 January 2017

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the practice.

great

after years of being at surgeries where I can never get an appointment I would highly recommend gp direct.I booked an appointment very easily on line, didnt have to hang on the phone for ages and the GP was very nice and understanding and helped me no end.normally im not to quick to bother the GP but this experience has renewed my faith

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 02 September 2016

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 19 December 2016

Good doctor awful admin

The surgery can neither email nor mail a referral. Doctors are fine but admin is appalling. My son is very ill but they won't even mail a prescription to our home. And forget email! You have to go in to get every scrap of paper.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 31 January 2017

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with the doctors at the practice but we would be keen to investigate the concerns you have about the admin team / processes within the practice. Please feel free to contact either Ann Knight or Omer Hussein (management team at GP Direct) and will investigate the specific concerns / issues you have encountered.

Excellent Gp surgery

One of the best Gp surgery. All the doctors are excellent. Highly recommend them.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 13 September 2016

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 31 January 2017

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the practice.

Harish Karia gave GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road a rating of 5 stars

Services @ GP direct

I have been with the practise since I moved in to the area during November1980. I find all the staff at the practice very polite and very practical. I have never had to wait too long to see the Dr or the nurse, it has always been with in the appointment time. My doctor has always been very thorough in their investigation and always very helpful. O.K. I some times find that to get appointment to see the doctor is bit longer, that is because they are very popular, and I have no problem with that.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 14 July 2016

GP Direct, Dr Merali & Partners, Welbeck Road replied on 19 December 2016

Dear patient,

If you are not yet using Patient Access (online patient services) I would highly recommend this as it makes booking appointments considerably easier and allows you to look at the available diary many weeks in advance.