Can you help us improve?

Take part in our short survey

Lion Health

01384 322222 2 Lowndes Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands , Stourbridge, DY8 3SS

Joanne griffiths gave Lion Health a rating of 3 stars

Again can't get an appointment

Been to docs this am to bring my mom to see nurses,who are just wonderful,,,tried to make an appointment for myself,for next Tuesday,,my day off,,and guess what no way,nothing,,I have to phone on the morning I want the appointment,,I do WORK,so have very limited time,
I've had an X-ray,and am still in a lot of pain in my hip which is very worrying to me,,,,
so need to go back to my doctor,,, not very helpful receptionists this morning I may add,,,, 26thApril,
I am very upset,I just hope I can get an appointment on the day of release !!!!! I just don't understand how sometimes I can book and others I can't,,it's very very frustrating,,especially when times are limited,
Not happy at all,
Joanne Griffiths

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 26 April 2016

Lion Health has not yet replied.

17 day wait to see a GP

I've been trying for days to ring and book an appointment with a doctor for a minor matter. You can only ring at 8am or 12 midday and needless to say it's permanently engaged.
I've just register online using the iPhone app to try and speed things along. Today is Monday 28 March 2016. The earliest appointment is Friday 15 April which is 17 days away. This really isn't good enough. I'll be writing to the Practice Manager and my MP.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 28 March 2016

Lion Health replied on 30 March 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have struggled to get an appointment. It is particularly busy at the moment and demand for advanced bookings has clearly outweighed supply. However, we do release appointments daily for those that have acute problems. Please feel free to utilise one of those appointments. We also offer an open surgery which generally runs at 12 noon each day for those patients that feel they need to be seen on any given day.
In terms of telephoning the Practice you are not restricted to telephoning at 0800 or 12 noon, in fact these are generally the busiest times of the day. Please feel free to telephone at any point between 0800 and 1830 hours. Internet access too provides an alternative option which can be utilised at your convenience. I hope that helps.

Chris Armfield gave Lion Health a rating of 5 stars

A Top Practice 5 Star Rating

I have been a Patient from My Birth and although the Staff has Changed over the Years You know them All as an Extended Family, We All have Certain Doctors & Nurses that know Us well enough to understand when We are Not wasting their time and need their Help, This Practice is Growing just like the Community it serves. So Personal I wish it All the Best in Helping Keep the Local People Healthy and In turn the Doctors,Nurses and Staff gaining the Respect they Deserve. To All those Doctors,Nurses and Staff I would like to give You a 5 Star Rating.

Christopher Armfield

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 27 February 2016

Lion Health replied on 29 February 2016

Hi Christopher, thank you so much for your very kind comments, they are very much appreciated. I will be sure to pass them on to the staff. Regards and thanks, Lion Health.

Colin Wharton gave Lion Health a rating of 4 stars

Getting used to the place.

Colin Wharton 11:33am Feb 25
After being a user of Worcester Street doctors surgery for many years, when they announced there move to the Lion Medical center, I was a bit apprehensive.But credit where credit's due, but with the thought in the back of my mind that my opinion might change in the future, after easily booking an appointment on line.To see the doctor we wanted to see. We logged in for the 08.40 appointment on the surgery screens on arrival, and our bums hadn't hit the seats, and we were called. The same happened later that day for a blood test. Nice one Lion Health

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 25 February 2016

Lion Health replied on 07 March 2016

Thank you very much for such positive feedback. I am delighted that your appointments ran smoothly. Thanks again for taking the time to support the Practice.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 2 stars

Needs major improvements

Luckily I don't have to come to the doctors on a regular basis because as a patient at Lion Health it's almost impossible to get an appointment and I have never been seen on time in the 6 years I have been registered with them, would move surgeries but there isn't one as close/closer! It's a shame as the Doctors have always been very professional but my latest visit today I was left waiting 20 minutes after my wait time and counting...

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 04 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 12 January 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you are not satisfied with our service. We offer a variety of appointments across a highly skilled medical and clinical team. We offer advanced booking supplemented with open surgeries each day. We offer telephone access to doctors and also run emergency appointments alongside a pre-booked list. We are currently also trialling Saturday morning opening during the winter months, and as such offer a variety of access options. We are able to offer internet booking which helps if telephone lines are busy.

I am sorry that you had to wait a while for your appointment today. Appointments are at ten minute intervals, and sometimes inevitably they will run over as doctors will want to provide the patient with the time they need to discuss their particular concerns, regrettably that has a knock on effect to others waiting for a particular GP. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Julie gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

Separate telephone lines for different enquires

May i suggest that you have separate telephone lines for different enquirer, because today i have had to hold for over 10 minutes to try and cancel an appointment for my mother, then only to be told they could not cancel it as it had got to go through brierely hill care centre. My mother had an appointment for the chiropodist but sadly had an heart attack on saturday and remains in CCU at russells hall. Not once did they offer me a contact number so therefore it remains uncancelled as i have far more worrying things to think about.
SEPARATE LINES PLEASE!
1. EMERGENCIES
2. APPOINTMENTS
3. CANCELLATIONS
4. TEST RESULTS ETC ETC
ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE IN THIS DAY OF TECHNOLOGY!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 12 January 2016

Many thanks for your comment. I am sorry to hear that your mother has had a heart attack. I do hope that she recovers soon. I appreciate that the situation must have been difficult and thank you for making the effort to try and cancel the appointment. Lion Health does have a telephone system that offers the caller options, very much along the lines that you suggest. Unfortunately Lion Health does not employ the chiropodist we are merely hosts for the service. Their appointments are made through a central booking system which is completely separate to that of the Practice. I will however, pass your comments on to the chiropody team to ensure that contact details are made clear.

Thank you again, and I wish your mother well.

Rude staff

Tried to book a follow up appointment, explained I work away was offered two, got a sigh, was told there no other appointments and hung up!
Why are people like this even talking to patients?

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 14 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 15 January 2016

Hi, sorry to hear of your experience. If this is the case, then I am disappointed. I fully support opportunities for patients to express their point of view on digital platforms. However, it doesn't give the Practice the full picture. May I encourage you to give the Practice Manager a call directly please. This is not the experience we would like for our patients and would like the opportunity to discuss this further. Thank you for taking the time to feedback.

Shambles

I moved to Stourbridge 8 months ago. I am diabetic. I was told they would be in touch.
After 6 months I saw GP and my blood was shocking, gave me tablets and told me to see the diabetic nurse.
I was told no appointment was available and asked to try in a week.
I called a week later and was told I can't make an appointment they will contact me, took my phone number. A week later nothing.
I have now given up and will see GP again in three months.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 22 January 2016

Many thanks for your feedback. It is clearly important that your condition is managed appropriately. If you were advised to see the diabetic nurse, then that is what you should do. Unfortunately it is impossible to reconcile this issue using social media. Please may I encourage you to telephone the Practice, and offer further information. The Practice Manager would be happy to discuss this with you. Thank you.

Anonymous reviewed Lion Health

Doctors great...frontline staff need common sense /empathy!

OK -Just to say at the outset-the Doctors here are very good(if you ever get any continuation of service)-which is proving nearly impossible. Ringing for appointment at 8am and 12 is near on impossible with a full time job, working many hours.All appointments gone. When feeling pretty desperate with a mental health issue , told receptionist about needing to see a named Dr, and with best will in world could not ring at those times.They said could see Dr(who had asked me to see them) in two weeks.By this time was in tears and did not feel safe. My condition was scaring me, I asked if I could make an online appointment, but no..could not even send me details except by post. "But did not know how long that would take" Alternately could "pop in and collect a form" I asked if this could be sent to me via email, all No! 2016 -Really? Hardly data protection, just a form?Whatever happened to a paperless future? They also failed to tell me that this form was on the surgery's website. I was not rude at anytime , but ended up in tears .They knew this was a mental health related issue and just did not care. I was left to feel almost rudderless after had finally found a wonderful Dr who was really listening to me. Sadly I wonder if I will ever get the opportunity again! Shouldn't your GPs know this is going on?I understand the need for support staff, policies and reception staff , but can they not be better trained to recognise when a patient is in need of urgent help and assurance? I am a professional person and should my place of employment have such practices as this when dealing with clients, we would not have any. Sadly, patients have no choice in the NHS, we have to rely on the professionality , common sense and empathy of staff. I am a great believer and supporter of the NHS but it seems unnecessary barriers are in place at Lion Health. I also appreciate that this is a huge business but surely efforts can be made to make it less faceless?
There are also invariably large queues at reception -only ever 1 or 2 people in attendance even if a huge queue. The general enquirers number seems to just 'bounce back' to the appointments line. Is there any sense in that?
I have been left feeling extremely low, my symptoms worsening and quite honestly not up to trying the surgery appointment line again.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 24 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 25 January 2016

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you had such a difficult experience and that you felt our staff lacked empathy. This is not the image we would wish to project to our patients. Continuity in a large Practice is always going to be difficult and some GPs are particularly popular and their advance bookings get taken early (we open them four - six weeks ahead) which means continuity at short notice can be difficult. We do try and encourage patients to develop relationships with two - three doctors who they feel comfortable consulting with due to this issue and also in consideration of when doctors are on leave or when they have other commitments. If patients are in need of urgent help, we offer an open surgery each day to accommodate such requests. We also can offer telephone consultations and employ our own Mental Health Nurse (Julie Jones) specifically to attend to patients suffering acute mental distress. I am sorry if you weren't offered these options.

In terms of the queues at reception - I accept that at busy times queues can form. These are usually managed quickly and extra staff deployed to support the process where possible. We try to give each patient attending the time that they need for their queries, inevitably some will take longer than others. With regards to the general enquiries line, It is just that, and there is no link to appointments. Staff picking up this line are doing other administrative work, which is an essential part of our work in the practice. Their work needs a quiet environment to allow concentration and as such appointments are dealt with by our reception team.

I hope that helps put things into context with you, however I am concerned that your problems are unresolved? If you are still feeling acutely unwell, please telephone the Practice and ask to speak to the reception supervisor. She will endeavour to provide you with some options.

Thank you again for your feedback. I will pass it on to the reception supervisor to share with our team.

Anonymous reviewed Lion Health

Abysmal appointment service and unhelpful staff

Since moving to the new site at Lions Health service I have been appalled at how difficult it is to get appointments at this surgery. Often I have called at 8 on the dot only to be calling for up to 40 mins later then to be told all morning appointments have gone. I have then been told by often quite rude and unhelpful receptionists to phone back at 12 so I have only to be calling yet again for around half an hour and then finally to be told all appointments have gone for the afternoon and I can't even sit and wait!!!... I actually leave booking appointments to the hols now when I can as it is SO much hassle to make them. Who has the time these days to spend ringing and re ringing all day long... I have now signed up to the Internet service to book online but what about those people who don't have Internet service. This surgery I fear is seriously putting people's lives at risk as people may have worrying symptoms And because they can't even get an appointment they may have cancer for example going unchecked. It's appalling and disgusting.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 16 February 2016

Lion Health replied on 07 March 2016

Hi thank you for your feedback. You are right, it can be difficult to get through at 8 am, as this is the most popular time for patients to telephone the surgery as lines open at 8, hence we do encourage those that can use the internet (used currently by a range of people) to do so, as this allows patients to book at a time that is convenient for them. My guess is that you have requested a specific appointment slot or doctor which we can't always accommodate (unless you book in advance). I am sure if you telephoned in the morning and appointments for that morning had gone you would have been offered an appointment in our open surgery which generally runs at 12 noon each day. There is no sit and wait surgery in the afternoons, but we do have emergency slots and will accommodate all patients requiring an emergency appointment. I hope that reassures you that the Practice is not putting lives at risk and will see anyone on the day that has medical concerns. In terms of the staff, I am sorry if you have found them unhelpful and rude. I will feed this back to our reception supervisor to discuss this with our team. Thank you for letting us know.