Lion Health

Address: 2 Lowndes Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, Stourbridge, DY8 3SS
Website: http://www.lion-health.co.uk

tracey stanier gave Lion Health a rating of 5 stars

excellent

Lovely new premises. Reception staff always helpful. Easy internet booking system. Doctors and nursing staff always professional and helpful.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 26 February 2015

Lion Health replied on 27 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments, they are very much appreciated.

Geoffrey round gave Lion Health a rating of 2 stars

Can get to talk ,by phone

I have been trying to make appointment by phone ,from 7 '59 to 8'30 am ,when I got thought at 8!30 ringing other no, no appointments left with my doctor ,and try again monday so got to go do it all again what a service ...........,,, Geoff round i am thinking of changing my surgery hopeless

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 27 February 2015

Lion Health replied on 27 February 2015

Hi there thanks for your feedback, I am sorry that you are disappointed with our service and you have struggled to get through. It sounds as though you are trying to make an appointment with a specific doctor which we accept at short notice it may be difficult to do. We encourage patients who like a particular GP to try to book ahead and if possible have two or three doctors that they would be happy consulting with. Otherwise we do offer on the day appointments and an open surgery each day to accommodate those that need to be seen on the day. First thing in the morning is a peak time to telephone, so it may be helpful for you to have access to internet booking which will alleviate the need to telephone the Practice to make appointments and hopefully be more convenient for you. If this would be helpful please contact a member of our team who will arrange this for you. Thank you again for your comments, we do hope that you will remain with us.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 2 stars

Dissapointed

did not find reception staff particularly welcoming. Touch screen sign was not working. Lovely new premises. Shame about the wait. 45 mins. Doctor slouched in chair did not look interested. Told prescription waiting time was ten minutes. We waited 20. Dissapointing at best.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 07 January 2015

Lion Health replied on 07 January 2015

Hi thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to the surgery. We will of course feed your comments back to the team. I hope that you will see improvements at your next visit. The Practice is independent of the pharmacy so regrettably I am unable to comment upon your prescription waiting time. Thank you again.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 3 stars

Access to EMIS

I applied online for access to the EMIS system, and although it said the Practice would be in touch I never received any correspondence. I came into surgery and the receptionist was very helpful and printed the PIN numbers for each of my family. I returned home and tried to register. I was successful with all of us however my account had no links attached for me to order repeat prescriptions, or make appointments.
I telephoned (7th in the queue, which is the norm it seems) and spoke to another receptionist who sadly wasn't as friendly or helpful and bluntly told me I needed to come back to surgery and collect another form. I wasn't too happy with this considering the process I've already been through, so they said a manager would look into it and call me back... This was 2 days ago.. Never received a call..

To summarise, the level of service and sadly attitude of the reception staff varies greatly. Where EMIS is concerned the second receptionist was lacking in knowledge of the system.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 15 January 2015

Lion Health replied on 19 January 2015

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have had difficulties accessing our online system. Unfortunatley as I dont have your name it is difficult to apply any reason. If you would be kind enough to call our Operations Manager, Mr. Bradley directly on 01384 322250 I am sure this can be easily resolved. We will feed your comments back to our team. Thank you again.

jenalyp gave Lion Health a rating of 5 stars

excellent medical treatment but scratchy pop music torture!

I can honestly say that, so far, I have never had anything but excellent treatment from the medical and administrative staff at the Lion Centre. My doctor is thorough and sends me for tests when they think necessary so I feel confident that my health is being carefully monitored.
I think that ill patients often feel anxious and because of their anxiety often misinterpret their doctor's response as not caring or not paying enough attention. Medical staff are under a great deal of pressure - to avoid patients waiting too long and the amount of paperwork and recording of details on computers while patients are in the surgery. Patients need to learn to communicate their worries and symptoms very clearly and not let frustration get in the way. I've always found that medical staff listen and are very respectful.
Also, I do not mind a short wait, since my doctor is probably taking necessary extra time with the previous patient and there's bound to be a back-log at times.
But I have noticed how awful the acoustics are in the waiting area. I do have one real concern which bothered me at my last appointment. A radio station was playing through the very scratchy sound system, emitting vacuous disc jockey banter as well as heavy metal rock music between and my nerves were getting frayed. A few other patients commented too and I really think that it adds to the frustration and anxiety while waiting. Patients, especially the elderly, need to feel calm, not irritated while they are waiting to see a doctor. Who is this music for? Can I suggest that in the waiting areas, we have no music, or, dare I say it, quiet, low level calming or classical music in the background. We need sounds that comfort. I intended to mentioned this to the reception staff but there was a queue of patients waiting and I really wanted to get out of the building. By the way, I like all sorts of music and I'm not against rock music, but this was played in an inappropriate environment. Thanks for reading this long text.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 14 February 2015

Lion Health replied on 17 February 2015

Thank you for such positive comments. Its wonderful to hear that you are happy with your treatment. Sorry you aren't so keen on the music. We find the music and the local radio provides a distraction to patients waiting, and the levels have to be at a certain point to enable the tannoy system to work appropriately. However I will pass your comments on to our team to see if we can provide some variety as you suggest. Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Helen Cartwright gave Lion Health a rating of 2 stars

New patient Review

We are new to the area and registerd at the surgery. My husband and I both had to have appointments with the nurse to provide previous medical history etc. my husband has a long standing medical condition and has to have medication for life, this was discussed and all previous GP details were given. He now needs a repeat prescription of medication he has been on for 8 years and reception are saying he needs to have a appointment with GP. This is ridiculus a quick phone call to previous GP or hospital consultant will confirm he needs this medication and will do for the rest of his life. Making him have a GP appointment is a waste of an appountment that someone who is genuinely sick may need. Also the health visitor was due to visit our home as we registerd our 2 year old daughter. We didn't ask for the visit but they phone us and told us this was their policy, they rolled up 1 hr late to the visit which they organisd. No phone call to say they were running late etc. i had to put my daughter down for her nap and tried to call the surgery to advise but there was a que of 7 people so gave up. If you are going to make appointments to see small children either turn up on time or phone and advise you are going to be late it is common curtesy and you should know as a child worker that routine is very important to toddlers. Don't offer a 'service' if you can't follow through on it!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015

Lion Health replied on 21 February 2015

Hello there, thank you for your feedback. It's difficult to reply to individual medical concerns via this forum. We would be happy to discuss your concerns directly with you. Our Ops Manager Mr. Carl Bradley can be contacted via reception if you would like to discuss this personally. However our general philiosophy is 'safety first', and although I can appreciate it must have been frustrating for your husband to have been asked to come in to review his medication, as he is new to the Practice and each individual GP is responsible for prescribing of medication, we would have wanted to assess the current situation. There may have been changes since your husbands last assessment, so please be assured that the process would be in your husbands best interests. Hopefully there wont be any issue and things will continue as before. With regard to the Health Visitors, the Practice does not employ the Health Visitors, but plays host to the service. We do meet regularly with the health visitors so will of course feed your comments back to them. In the meantime, hopefully you will have had the opportunity to meet them and will have been given their direct contact numbers. Should you have any concerns when visiting the Practice in future, if would be helpful if you would direct them to one of our Team Leaders whilst you are in the building so that the situation can be resolved whilst you are on site. Thank you again for your feedback.

Anonymous reviewed Lion Health

Can we have access to a surgery email address please?

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 24 February 2015

Lion Health replied on 27 February 2015

Hi there thank you for your query. At the moment we don't communicate with patients via email. There are various reasons for this which I am sure you will appreciate. We are keen to look at this though so hopefully you will see developments in this area in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to ask the question.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

Disappointing

First impressions were that the new Practice looked fantastic. Clean, airy and lots of free parking unlike Worcester street.

Appointment was only 10mins later than scheduled, which was fine.

Unfortunately the Doctor I met with was shockingly bad. Seemed uncomfortable dealing with my condition, sent me for blood tests (although I had to ask where these tests were to be taken and what times they were available as the printer had broken).
Went for tests only to find that the Doctor had put my DOB down as the date of my appointment and have now been waiting 10 weeks for results.
Took me 12months to go to the Doctors in this instance, so this experience has put me off going back for another wasted journey.

Never had an issues with previous doctors and would rather struggle to park and then sit in an outdated waiting room if it meant I could receive proper medical care.

Currently looking in to alternative surgeries available.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 26 February 2015

Lion Health has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

blood pressure review

I was greatly disappointed by the lack of people skills offered by the nurse last night, my cholesterol figure was higher than previous, when i tried to explain my lack of exercise in recent months due to my struggling recovery (mentally) from prostate cancer surgery, the only comment by the nurse was ' its not normally hard for someone to get over that' great they obviously know better ! I was only offered statins as a fix to all my problems, there was never any suggestion as to diet or exercise.

Job done - next patient please

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 November 2014

Lion Health replied on 05 November 2014

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your appointment with our nurse. Obviously as this is an open forum we cannot discuss your medical care specifically, however, I understand that you have now had the opportunity to discuss this with one of my colleagues who I believe has made some suggestions regarding future care. I hope that has heped provide reassurance of our commitment to patient care. Once again I am sorry for any distress and hope that in future you will feel able to discuss your concerns with us directly. Thank you for your feedback.

Amanda gave Lion Health a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Appointment

After suddenly feeling unwell I got an emergency appointment. I was seen within 40 minutes of calling and had an ECG with the nurse after seeing the doctor within an hour and a half. Both doctor and nurse were very warm and welcoming despite it clearly being the end of a long day. Thank you all including reception and pharmacy.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 07 November 2014

Lion Health replied on 10 November 2014

Thank you for taking the time to outline your experience. I will share your comments with our team. We hope that you are now feeling better.