Lion Health

01384 322222 2 Lowndes Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands , Stourbridge, DY8 3SS

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 2 stars

Needs major improvements

Luckily I don't have to come to the doctors on a regular basis because as a patient at Lion Health it's almost impossible to get an appointment and I have never been seen on time in the 6 years I have been registered with them, would move surgeries but there isn't one as close/closer! It's a shame as the Doctors have always been very professional but my latest visit today I was left waiting 20 minutes after my wait time and counting...

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 04 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 12 January 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you are not satisfied with our service. We offer a variety of appointments across a highly skilled medical and clinical team. We offer advanced booking supplemented with open surgeries each day. We offer telephone access to doctors and also run emergency appointments alongside a pre-booked list. We are currently also trialling Saturday morning opening during the winter months, and as such offer a variety of access options. We are able to offer internet booking which helps if telephone lines are busy.

I am sorry that you had to wait a while for your appointment today. Appointments are at ten minute intervals, and sometimes inevitably they will run over as doctors will want to provide the patient with the time they need to discuss their particular concerns, regrettably that has a knock on effect to others waiting for a particular GP. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Julie gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

Separate telephone lines for different enquires

May i suggest that you have separate telephone lines for different enquirer, because today i have had to hold for over 10 minutes to try and cancel an appointment for my mother, then only to be told they could not cancel it as it had got to go through brierely hill care centre. My mother had an appointment for the chiropodist but sadly had an heart attack on saturday and remains in CCU at russells hall. Not once did they offer me a contact number so therefore it remains uncancelled as i have far more worrying things to think about.
SEPARATE LINES PLEASE!
1. EMERGENCIES
2. APPOINTMENTS
3. CANCELLATIONS
4. TEST RESULTS ETC ETC
ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE IN THIS DAY OF TECHNOLOGY!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 12 January 2016

Many thanks for your comment. I am sorry to hear that your mother has had a heart attack. I do hope that she recovers soon. I appreciate that the situation must have been difficult and thank you for making the effort to try and cancel the appointment. Lion Health does have a telephone system that offers the caller options, very much along the lines that you suggest. Unfortunately Lion Health does not employ the chiropodist we are merely hosts for the service. Their appointments are made through a central booking system which is completely separate to that of the Practice. I will however, pass your comments on to the chiropody team to ensure that contact details are made clear.

Thank you again, and I wish your mother well.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

Rude staff

Tried to book a follow up appointment, explained I work away was offered two, got a sigh, was told there no other appointments and hung up!
Why are people like this even talking to patients?

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 14 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 15 January 2016

Hi, sorry to hear of your experience. If this is the case, then I am disappointed. I fully support opportunities for patients to express their point of view on digital platforms. However, it doesn't give the Practice the full picture. May I encourage you to give the Practice Manager a call directly please. This is not the experience we would like for our patients and would like the opportunity to discuss this further. Thank you for taking the time to feedback.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

Shambles

I moved to Stourbridge 8 months ago. I am diabetic. I was told they would be in touch.
After 6 months I saw GP and my blood was shocking, gave me tablets and told me to see the diabetic nurse.
I was told no appointment was available and asked to try in a week.
I called a week later and was told I can't make an appointment they will contact me, took my phone number. A week later nothing.
I have now given up and will see GP again in three months.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 22 January 2016

Many thanks for your feedback. It is clearly important that your condition is managed appropriately. If you were advised to see the diabetic nurse, then that is what you should do. Unfortunately it is impossible to reconcile this issue using social media. Please may I encourage you to telephone the Practice, and offer further information. The Practice Manager would be happy to discuss this with you. Thank you.

Anonymous reviewed Lion Health

Doctors great...frontline staff need common sense /empathy!

OK -Just to say at the outset-the Doctors here are very good(if you ever get any continuation of service)-which is proving nearly impossible. Ringing for appointment at 8am and 12 is near on impossible with a full time job, working many hours.All appointments gone. When feeling pretty desperate with a mental health issue , told receptionist about needing to see a named Dr, and with best will in world could not ring at those times.They said could see Dr(who had asked me to see them) in two weeks.By this time was in tears and did not feel safe. My condition was scaring me, I asked if I could make an online appointment, but no..could not even send me details except by post. "But did not know how long that would take" Alternately could "pop in and collect a form" I asked if this could be sent to me via email, all No! 2016 -Really? Hardly data protection, just a form?Whatever happened to a paperless future? They also failed to tell me that this form was on the surgery's website. I was not rude at anytime , but ended up in tears .They knew this was a mental health related issue and just did not care. I was left to feel almost rudderless after had finally found a wonderful Dr who was really listening to me. Sadly I wonder if I will ever get the opportunity again! Shouldn't your GPs know this is going on?I understand the need for support staff, policies and reception staff , but can they not be better trained to recognise when a patient is in need of urgent help and assurance? I am a professional person and should my place of employment have such practices as this when dealing with clients, we would not have any. Sadly, patients have no choice in the NHS, we have to rely on the professionality , common sense and empathy of staff. I am a great believer and supporter of the NHS but it seems unnecessary barriers are in place at Lion Health. I also appreciate that this is a huge business but surely efforts can be made to make it less faceless?
There are also invariably large queues at reception -only ever 1 or 2 people in attendance even if a huge queue. The general enquirers number seems to just 'bounce back' to the appointments line. Is there any sense in that?
I have been left feeling extremely low, my symptoms worsening and quite honestly not up to trying the surgery appointment line again.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 24 January 2016

Lion Health replied on 25 January 2016

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you had such a difficult experience and that you felt our staff lacked empathy. This is not the image we would wish to project to our patients. Continuity in a large Practice is always going to be difficult and some GPs are particularly popular and their advance bookings get taken early (we open them four - six weeks ahead) which means continuity at short notice can be difficult. We do try and encourage patients to develop relationships with two - three doctors who they feel comfortable consulting with due to this issue and also in consideration of when doctors are on leave or when they have other commitments. If patients are in need of urgent help, we offer an open surgery each day to accommodate such requests. We also can offer telephone consultations and employ our own Mental Health Nurse (Julie Jones) specifically to attend to patients suffering acute mental distress. I am sorry if you weren't offered these options.

In terms of the queues at reception - I accept that at busy times queues can form. These are usually managed quickly and extra staff deployed to support the process where possible. We try to give each patient attending the time that they need for their queries, inevitably some will take longer than others. With regards to the general enquiries line, It is just that, and there is no link to appointments. Staff picking up this line are doing other administrative work, which is an essential part of our work in the practice. Their work needs a quiet environment to allow concentration and as such appointments are dealt with by our reception team.

I hope that helps put things into context with you, however I am concerned that your problems are unresolved? If you are still feeling acutely unwell, please telephone the Practice and ask to speak to the reception supervisor. She will endeavour to provide you with some options.

Thank you again for your feedback. I will pass it on to the reception supervisor to share with our team.

Arthur Dalziel gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

appointments

The current system is appalling and should be completely overhauled. I have tried to get through for two days on the telephone and ended up driving to the surgery where I was told "all appointments are gone" Why are you taking on new patients when you are clearly struggling to manage the existing set up?

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 01 December 2015

Lion Health replied on 12 January 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you have struggled to make an appointment. For future reference, we do have various options for accessing the surgery, in terms of booking or choosing an appointment.
We offer advanced appointments which are available up to four weeks ahead, acute appointments for patients that feel they need to be seen on the day within our open surgery which generally begins at 12 noon each day, telephone and emergency consultations and we are currently also trialling Saturday morning opening during the winter months.
With regard to our list.....We have what is known as an open list which requires us contractually to accept new patients who are living within our Practice area.
It may help you to access appointments via internet booking. Our staff would be happy to supply you with the necessary information.
With kind regards.

Not impressed gave Lion Health a rating of 3 stars

Not impressed

Good doctors but appallingly run. Can never get an appointment at a convenient or inconvenient time. Am self employed so can't afford to hang on the phone for 10-15 mins waiting just to be told there are no appointments available. Tried to book 2 weeks in advance and there were no free appointments. APPALLING.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 09 November 2015

Lion Health replied on 10 November 2015

Hi thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you haven't been able to get an appointment to suit. I have just checked the system and there are advance appointments available. I can only therefore surmise that your request was to see a specific doctor which may not have been possible at the point of asking. In terms of the telephone, yes we accept it is often busy and therefore suggest to patients who have internet access that using Patient Access may be helpful to them. We would be happy to supply you with a password to enable you to make an appointment at a time that is convenient for you. Our Reception Supervisor would be happy to help you with this.
Thank you again for your comments.

Anonymous gave Lion Health a rating of 3 stars

reception staff could do with manners and be more helpful

i dont find the reception staff very helpful; and quite abrupt wih you have made mistakes a coupcle of times and werent very helpful

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 09 October 2015

Lion Health replied on 12 October 2015

sorry to hear that you didn't find our staff very helpful. That is disappointing. Should you have problems in the future, may I direct you to the Reception Supervisor, hopefully she will help rectify any difficulties. Once again please accept our apologies.

Stacey gave Lion Health a rating of 2 stars

Hard to get an appointment

Once you get an appointment its fine and I really like the new facilities however its getting the appointment that is the problem. It takes ages to get through to reception and when you do what is on offer is really limited. I work full time and really struggle to get an appointment when I want one and often find that I just don't bother because its so difficult to get one. It's also frustrating that you can only call on the day at certain times - you cant call up and book and appointment for the next day. I am not always available at 8.00 and 12.00 then by the time I am free to call there are no appointments left and I am told I cant see anyone unless it is an emergency.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 22 October 2015

Lion Health replied on 23 October 2015

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry if you have struggled to get an appointment. It's not that you can't call and book for the following day, it will just be that the pre-bookable appointments will already have been taken. May I suggest that internet booking may help you via Patient Access. Our reception team will provide you with the necessary details to enable this should you so wish. Again thank you for your feedback, I think this will help you book at a time that suits you.

Joanne Griffiths gave Lion Health a rating of 1 stars

Getting an appointment

I have never ever ever rang up and been able to get an appointment ever !
I have been in a que for 40 mins this morning and gave up in the end ,I then phone back later,asking for any female doctor any time from now today and guess what ! all the appointments are gone,,,wow what a shock,,,,I rarely visit the doctors unless I really need to,and this is a very delicate and important matter to me,I explained how I had tried to get through,but the reply was,"phone tommorow morning". Mmmmmmmm,,I tried that this morning. I give up!

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 02 November 2015

Lion Health replied on 03 November 2015

Hi, thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed and surprised that you weren't able to be seen today. We have an open surgery generally every day at 12 noon. You suggest you rang this morning, so I am struggling to understand why you weren't offered that, unless you asked for a specific doctor. It would be helpful to discuss this through as you clearly need to be seen. Perhaps you could give our operations manager a call, Mr. Bradley on his direct line number 01384 322250. We can then make the necessary arrangements. We also have internet access which may help with booking in the future. Thank you again for your comments.