Worcester Street Surgery

Address: 24 Worcester Street, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY8 1AW
Website: http://www.worcesterstreetsurgery.co.uk

J hall gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 1 stars

No appointments

Have just waited 10 minutes on the "appointments!" Line only to told there were no appointments available for the rest of the week and that I should ring back at 8am tomorrow morning. I was prepared to see any doctor at any time and day this week. What is the point of keeping people waiting in a queue on the appointments line only to tell them there is nothing available. A waste of my time, my phone bill and you employing a receptionist.

I have had to complete a date in question 4 "when did you visit this surgery" but actually I haven't visited the surgery since I couldn't get an appointment.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 24 February 2014

Worst dececision ever

Since the amalgamation of the practices I have yet to have a satisfactory visit to this surgery. To start with the parking is a nighmare, I have given instructions about collecting prescriptions and this has clearly been ignored, I have sat for 40 mins having checked in with the reception and then established I had been marked on the system as not arriving. There are a host of other isues I have encountered when visiting this establishement and trust that things will improve when it relocates to new premises.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 24 February 2014

Anonymous gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Getting through by phone is very difficult indeed

My prescription was changed following a bi annual hospital review and was issued through the surgery and should have been put up on the Emis Access Online as it is a four weekly repeat. I was told it would be amended on collection of the first prescription following the change by the hospital. Four weeks later, it was not up and I phoned the surgery for advice and was an astonishing '12th' in the 'queue'. i went to the surgery and was told I needed to see my GP and the regular GP had an appointment in two weeks time. I then went to a GP 'walk in' centre near my place of work to secure an emergency supply and the Doctor phoned the WS Surgery to confirm my details and took 20 mins to get through. He was appalled.
The Clinical side is excellent but the Reception often has a long queue develop while long conversations take place with (often elderley and confused) patients and it needs a 'fast track' for those who only want to collect a prescription or make a brief enquiry. because it is so large, these issues of contact do not seem to have been revised and as can be seen in many of the other reviews, it is sometimes very time consuming if not impossible to get through (My call 'dropped' after 25 mins hanging on!!)
I was transferred there when my previous GP retired and going from personal and polite service to an impersonal 'factory' surgery has been quite a shock and I also do not expect to see different GP's whenever to secure an early appointment, which is another assumption that underlies the clinical provision.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 30 January 2014

Anonymous gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Can never get an apointment

The new system puts you in a queue which means you have to hang on 7 -10 minutes to get through. This is not acceptable when you are at work and cannot be on your phone that long. Also, what about your phone bill. Preferred it when you just got engaged tone and could just keep trying when convenient.
Online appointments are a joke. You often can't get an appointment at a suitable time if you work for 2 weeks and then only early appointment, no evening appointments seem to be available on line. And trying to get the to see the same doctor is virtually impossible.
Not been that impressed by doctors I've seen recently either. Last doctor gave me an incorrect telephone number and when I checked on line for the correct number it was for a totally inappropriate clinic anyway.
Seriously looking to change. Too big to offer any patient care.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 21 January 2014

Anonymous gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Call waiting time for telephone to be answered

I called the surgery from Europe on my mobile as I had a problem which had arisen when traveling (hernia). It took 9 minutes and 49 seconds before the call was answered. I believe that this is unacceptable in any country. This surgery is no longer a family doctor it is rapidly becoming a Health Centre. I wish I could find a different resource.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 24 July 2013

Worcester Street Surgery replied on 29 July 2013

Hi there, thank you for your comment. I am sorry you had a problem getting through. You don't provide the date of your call, however if you would like to provide it directly to the responsible manager Mr. Carl Bradley he will look into your concerns. I hope that you managed to resolve your medical problem. We would however advise patients travelling abroad to ensure they take insurance and their European Health Cards with them as it is often difficult to offer advice regarding medical problems over the telephone. Many problems will require examination. We advise patients who become ill when they are abroad to contact a local doctor supported by their insurance and EHC.

Anonymous gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent!!!

After reading several reviews left by other patients i feel the need to add my view!
Since joining Worcester Street Surgery myself and my family have received nothing but the finest care the NHS can offer, we are always able to get the appointments needed and the after care that was given to me following the birth of my daughter was outstanding. 5 star service well done.

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 19 June 2013

Worcester Street Surgery replied on 08 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Its really great to receive positive feedback. Many thanks.

Anonymous gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Admin Staff think they are doctors

I have been with this doctor's for over 30 years. The past 5 years it as been impossible to get an appointment. How many times do you want to hear call back at noon or call back tomorrow at 8 am. People who work can't make the emergency clinics. You get told by doctors that there is a surgery after 6 pm on certain days, but these appointments never seem to appear.

Having spoken to the Management several times regarding the leak of appointments, I have nothing good to say about them. They actually think they are a doctor, they need to remember they have not signed the Hippocratic Oath and as no right to ask a patient anything on why they need a doctors appointment. 90% of the receptionists have the same approach to patients, its like if the admin staff think they are doing us a favour even answering the phone. I know people who speak to this surgery professionally and have the same opinion on the admin staff.

If you do get an appointment don't expect the time you have been given, is the time you'll see the doctor. Expect a minimum of a 20 min wait after your appointment time. This as even happened to myself when I have the first appointment of the day (this is rare appointment to get).

Several of the new doctors do have a lack of people skills and don't read your history, before you enter the room. There are several doctors who are truly professionals, but unfortunately it is impossible get to see these doctors.

This surgery is too big and I can't see anything improving after they move.

For these reasons and a few more, I am moving surgeries.

Visited in March 2013. Posted on 17 June 2013

Worcester Street Surgery replied on 08 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am sorry that our practice has not satisfied your needs. We wish you well with your new surgery.

Anonymous gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Poor access and telephony, look elsewhere

I agree with reviews already posted, the old booking system was a joke. The new system is worse, not enough investment in telephony or call handlers. A perfect example of why it can be detrimental to a business to expand too quickly. Customer satisfaction has dropped off through the years - i've been at this practise for maybe about 14 years - it is going downhill from when ethics of a health service were paramount, now this is clearly run as a business with profit margin as a priority.
My wife and i have struggled time and time again to secure an appointment at a time suitable to us, unless we book a month in advance, it may seem funny but i am unable to predict medical issues a month in advance, so this process is wholly unacceptable. We too as tax payers have had to book time off work to meet the limited appointment slots.
I find call handling staff curt and generally unhelpful or compassionate, probably because they are unable to provide a timely service and clearly take a lot of flack from customers.
Another issue with this practise is it's lack of up to date contact, today I have tried to email regarding a referral - as I'm out of the country - but unfortunately in 2013 this appears to be one of the only businesses we are unable to email....probably as emails afford a level of accountability that Worcester Street are unable to meet.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 16 June 2013

Worcester Street Surgery replied on 08 July 2013

We are sorry to read your comments. The Practice has grown over recent years, having merged with two smaller local practices in 2010 and 2011 respectively. The list size has grown as has the infrastructure to support it. We have invested in a new telephone system, increased our staffing and enhanced their training. I am concerned that you feel that you are not able to get an appointment that suits as we offer a variety of options for booking including internet booking. We offer advanced booking (up to four weeks ahead), and on the day slots. It is often more difficult to get an appointment with specific doctors at short notice and as such we do advise people who have a preferred doctors to try and book ahead. For acute problems we have two open surgeries ensuring that those people who feel that they need to be seen on the day are seen on the day. Most patients like this option and appreciate that they may not see the doctor of their choice but they will be seen quickly.
Our staff do have email addresses but with concerns regarding confidentiality and clinical governance we are discouraged from conversing in this way. I am sorry if that is incovenient. I have fed your comments back to our staff responsible for call handling, which I am sure they will take on board. In the meantime we are expanding our patient panel and would welcome any support you can offer. Please contact the surgery if you are interested.

daniel eastman gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 2 stars

could improve a lot

new telephone system has helped to get through better than in past but hard to get appointment when you want. especially when you call in morning to try and book an afternoon appointment to fit around work/school and get told to call back after 12 and then when you do often told there are only emergency appointments left where you go along at 4 and could be waiting as long as 2hours to be seen (not great when you have an ill child who doesnt understand and gets upset/irritable)

dont really like the fact its pretty much a different dr every time as they dont know your history as well - though most of them are quite professional and helpful

i do find some of the drs there a little rude and businesslike though sometimes and had an incident a little while back i felt was extremely unprofessional. my partner took my son to be seen and while there my son asked my partner to be weighed (as kids do) - considering she is extremely active and takes part in regular fitness classes, teaches karate, and watches her diet as she is very self-conscious after having kids and at 5foot6 and 9 stone is an extremely healthy weight in my opinion the dr turned round and said she was overweight and the fitness classes she was doing wasnt good enough - no surprise she came home really upset, confidence shattered and ended up starving herself for ages because of what dr said and then we had to work on getting her eating right and confidence back up again. what poor people skills! they hadnt even checked/thought if there was any history of eating disorders, etc. before giving their opinion. this i find completely unprofessional and now looking for a new surgery to join

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 06 June 2013

Stephanie. gave Worcester Street Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Telephone service.

Although I notice a lot of people complain about the telephone service , I have nearly always got through while waiting. I have always been able to see a Dr. the same day.My elderly father's surgery often cannot offer appointments that quickly unless it is an emergency.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 14 May 2013