Derwent House Surgery

Telephone: 01900 705350
Address: Cockermouth Community Hospital and Health Centre, Isel Road, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9HT
Website: http://www.derwentsurgery.co.uk/

Tony Cresswell gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Level of care and concern

A routine eye test had displayed a problem to the High Street optician who told me I should have this investigated by a specialist and a referral would be required from my GP. I later attended what I expected to be a routine doctors appointment, and casually enquired if my referral to the Opthamology Dept had been processed. I was delivered a hammer blow by the doctor who had to inform me that in fact this meant that I was from that moment onwards, not to drive as my condition was DVLA enforceable.

Wow.

However, the doctor related this in the most wonderful and professional manner and due to where I live (no transport etc) saw to it that my application for further investigation was dealt with very promptly.

Indeed it was, as the very next day papers arrived to obtain an appointment but......... this would be in some 69days time, and was clearly not good enough to a self employed builder living in a remote transportless location. My doctor was on the phone to me within minutes of this news. Care and concern? - first class I say! I was given sound advice in a most considerate manner.

The long story may be shortened as the outcome was essentially a false alarm, but had it not been for the input of my doctor I could have slid into despair over an issue as alarming as your own eyesight. I was calmly guided along as to how to bring about a resolution to the crisis, and without doubt the advice was correct.

The doctor was a real gem - the model of professionalism yet retaining what we all hope to get - a really personal approach and display of concern for the patient. I received this in abundance and I might add that this in indicative of the practice.

Bravo to Derwent House, thank you!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 04 November 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for for providing us with this feedback.

richt81 gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Breakdown in communication

I have used this surgery for a number of years and would say that the staff are always pleasant and professional. However sometimes the systems seem to break down.

Recently I was advised to contact my local hospital for fertility reasons. The telephone number given to me by the surgery was wrong. In fact it was the wrong hospital completely. It took an hour of ringing round five different departments of three different hospitals to finally be told that I had to fill in paperwork with my GP before I could make an appointment.

Also, the transition from the old repeat prescription service to the new patient access website has not been easy. There seems to be no requirement for the GP or the chemist to notify you if your request for medication has been rejected. This means that on several occasions, I have turned up at the chemist to collect my tablets only to be told that I will have to make another GP appointment for a review, before they will issue the prescription.
This has led to me running out of medication.

I understand that not all of this is the fault of the surgery, but sometimes a bit more joined up thinking could help things run more smoothly.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 06 November 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback which we will review and use to improve our services.

Dawn gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Holiday visitor

I was staying locally last week when I started a chest infection. I called into Derwent House at lunchtime and explained I was a chronic asthmatic, there were apologies that they didn't have an appointment till 4.10pm. The doctor I saw was lovely and took time to understand my complex medical history and why I needed antibiotics there and then. I felt very supported and their attitude has helped to minimise the effects of the infection on my long term health conditions. Many thanks indeed to the receptionists and the doctor who made it so easy for me to attend.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 21 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add this comment which will be shared with members of staff. We hope you enjoyed your holiday in the Lake District.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

appointments.......terrible

when I first joined this surgery there was never any problem getting appointments,
I can not remember the last time I was ever able to get an appointment for when I need one, even after trying to book one for the following week!
when ringing its always 2 - 3 weeks later to get one!
when you do get an appointment and you are in the waiting area, there never seems to be a lot of people working I don't understand!
if the surgery is open all those hours and you are unable to get an appointment (people do work and are not able to take time off when they want) there must b a lot of ill people,

But on the plus side the staff are friendly.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 25 April 2014

Derwent House Surgery replied on 28 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback and your comments regarding our staff which will be passed on. At times the demand for appointments can be extremely high and we are looking into ways to help improve this, we take all feedback seriously and we will review your comments. Our apologies if you felt the servicve did not meet your expectations.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great care from the nursing staff

Both my children have required care from the nurses at this surgery over the last month and in each case the nurses have been excellent, explaining what was happening and what they were going to do to the children so that neither was scared nor afraid. All I can say is that I am really pleased with the level of service received and the ease of making repeat appointments for follow-up care.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 08 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 12 August 2013

Your comments will be shared with our Nursing Team and other members of Staff. Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts.

Hyronimus gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Best Surgery ever.

I write this as a result of reading the negative reviews I have just come across on the website. Our experience in the six years we have been in Cumbria is that Derwent House offers the most welcoming and caring reception staff you could wish for. The Doctors are equally caring and do all they can to solve a problem, often going out of their way to help. They never rush even when they are obviously under time restraints.
The nurses are beyond reproach and are as pleasant and caring as anyone would wish them to be.
The pharmacy staff are also pleasant and patient even when busy.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 28 June 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 01 July 2013

Your comments will be circulated to all members of staff this morning. A very nice way to start a busy working week. Thank you.

Christine Close gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Professionalism at its best

I have been a patient of this practice for a number of years. Over recent months I have been seen by every member of the current practice. On each occasion I have found each doctor extremely professional, polite, courteous and always full of empathy.

All members of staff including those on reception and those in the pharmacy are always pleasant and very helpful.

The practice has a comforting and welcoming feeling and one of treating you with respect and honesty.

I also like the way the practice seems to always try to improve standards and the new system of making phone appointments and being able to speak to a doctor before you need or in some cases not need to visit the surgery is an innovative and excellent way to improve an already excellent service provided by this extremely professional practice.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 11 June 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 15 July 2013

This is an extremely useful and uplifting comment which will be discussed at our Partnership Meeting this evening. Thank you.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Need to be able to see into the future

The surgery is so understaffed and overworked that getting an appointment within a week is now almost impossible. I rang the surgery today and after being put on hold for almost 10 minutes receptionist told me that they had no routine appointments until next Wednesday (10 days time!!!). When I asked what I was supposed to do if I needed to be seen sooner they replied 'we are very short staffed and have no other routine appointments until then. If you can tell me what is wrong I can get the duty doctor to ring you' Yes ring me, not see me to examine me. Whatever happened to doctor/patient confidentiality. What if I don't want to discuss my condition/illness with a receptionist who has no medical training whatsoever? Does that mean I cannot get to see or speak to a doctor? This practice is becoming a joke and nobody in a senior position seems to care, certainly not about the patients anyhow.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 20 May 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 23 May 2013

We’re sorry we’re often short on appointments whilst we await our new partners, the doctors are working very long days.
We appreciate that many patients would prefer us not to have had to make changes, we would ask for support from all our patients, and ask patients to ensure they cancel appointments they cannot make to allow these appointments to be given to other patients. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the surgery.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Declined rapidly, avoid if possible

Terrible service, long waits for appointments, never answer the phones, when I finally get an appointment there is frequently a very long wait in the waiting room. Doctors seem rushed and uncaring and reception staff are very unfriendly. Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 23 May 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 23 May 2013

Charles Rogers gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

NHS Interference

Surgery & staff are excellent. Repeat prescriptions via the internet however has been dismantled by the NHS which gives a lot of useless information. This means that a very useful service has been removed for no apparent reason.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 08 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 12 August 2013

Thank you for your comment. The facility for ordering repeat medication has been replaced. The new Patient Access Service will allow you to order repeat prescriptions, book appointments and update your personal details. To register for this service please follow the instructions on this web page or collect an application form from the Surgery Reception.