Derwent Surgery

Telephone: 01900 705350
Address: Cockermouth Community Hospital and Health Centre, Isel Road, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9HT
Website: http://www.derwentsurgery.co.uk/

Mrs T gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Getting worse

This surgery is on the decline. It used to be efficient and friendly and now it is slack and unwelcoming.

After waiting two weeks for an appointment I had the displeasure of a consultation with a GP who aggressively disagreed with the previous diagnosis by one of their own partners like it was my fault. I had followed their instructions and as I was returning to a GP, I was made to feel that I had been irresponsible. Their tune soon changed when I pointed out that I was following advice to the letter given to me by their own surgery.

I feel that there needs to be less back covering and more patient care like there used to be. If the other surgery in town wasn't on the same premises and suffering the same problems I would move.

Let's get back to caring. Please!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 27 July 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 05 August 2014

Thank you for providing us with your comments which we aim to use as a learning experience. We would like to think we provide a caring service to all our patients, however, in this instance you clearly feel that we have not achieved this. Unfortunately without knowing further details we are unable to investigate the matter further, although we will discuss your comments at one of our practice meetings.

Eric gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Unhelpful and unfriendly

I had 30 years with my previous GP and never had any issues at all. Due to moving home I went with this GP and they are unhelpful, unfriendly, unapproachable, unavailable and god help you if you ever need a simple repaeat prescription! Prescripotion line is only open 10am - 1 pm (WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which means it is always engaged and so you spend 3 hours trying to get thru, which you can't - so you have to start again the next day.
When I complained, I was told I could order online, which I had to register first and then go up to the surgery with ID so that I could then go home and order the repeat precription. IT IS A JOKE!

Go anywhere else but Derwent House is my recommendation.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 01 September 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 04 September 2014

Thank you for your comment which I will ensure the staff at Derwent Surgery are aware of and we will discuss. The process for registering for online prescriptions is very similar amongst most practices and we have little control over this, once it has being set up most patients find it works well.

Disorganised, unfriendly, dirty

The reception is chaotic and this seems down to poor communication between the staff and general disorganisation. The nurses and drs do a good job though, and I think this would be a good surgery if it weren't for reception.

The waiting area is scruffy, not clean and it's always too hot in there. Signage is very poor and it's confusing where to go.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 08 May 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 09 May 2014

Your comments regarding reception staff will be discussed with the team, although constructive feedback would be helpful so we can highlight any particular areas. We recognise there are short comings in the signage since moving into our new premises and we have worked with staff and patient representatives to make improvements, which we hope to implement during the next few weeks. We are sorry you feel our new premises are scruffy, we are very proud of this facility and as everything is new we are surprised to receive this negative feedback. Our cleaning team are monitored and any poor standards are highlighted.

Can't get help

I tried to ring this morning at the time that the website said the surgery was open (0830) and was told that all the emergency appointments had gone so I could only get a phonecall from a doctor.
The doctor phoned at the same time as someone else tried to ring that phone so left an answerphone message for me to ring back.
When I phoned he was busy and couldn't take my call due to an appointment... So I was told he'd try again. After not hearing anything for 4 hours I tried to phone again only for the receptionist to be impatient and defensive with with me. I asked when the surgery would close so that I knew when to go to cue doc (as I feel the need to see someone today).

I have 2 main things to say about this...
First, is that I am only looking for help, medical assistance with something I struggling with.
And second, how have I been prioritised after these "emergencies" when I have not had the chance to say what is wrong?

When people are at their weakest and most vunerable they need kindness and help.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 13 May 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 30 May 2014

We are sorry on this occasion our service did not provide you with the assitance you required, we always welcome the opportunity to investigate matters like this in further detail so we can learn and make improvements.

Anonymous gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 4 stars

A caring surgery

Not having been to the new surgery and having been a patient for some 30 years i have seen some changes. But i have always received great care. This week i needed medication and some help for my husband i received both. Being able to book an appointment online. By phone. Or If it is urgent call at 8 to get a cancellation and the option of a phone appointment also is an improvement. The phone appointment i had was a godsend and the doctor tried everyway to get through. I know how stressful it is to wait for help but everyone from the receptionists, the doctors and the pharmacy treated me with kindness. Thank you all. I feel confident that you will continue to look after my families medical needs. You sorted me and my husband out and for that i am grateful. Good health is the most important thing to enjoying life. You can't do much without it. The new facility needs a coffee machine and cake.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 15 May 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 16 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback, our aim is to delivery good quality clinical care and we are really pleased when this is recognised.

Making appointments

Tried to make an appointment, told I must wait two weeks, asked if there was any standby appointment like they had when it was at Derwent house, told no. Ask what i should do as I can't wait two week told to ring tomorrow and try again !?
Asked why was there such a long wait, I was told there is not enough appointment to meet demands. No wonder people use A&E
It was never this bad at Derwent house

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 22 April 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 28 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback, at times the demand for appointments can be extremely high and we are looking into ways to help improve this, we take all feedback seriously and we will review your comments. Our apologies if you felt the service did not meet your expectations.

Anonymous gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 1 stars

A surgery in need of serious improvement!

Making appointments is a nightmare at this surgery - phone calls go unanswered or you have to wait an age for your call to be picked up. When you finally get through you are lucky to get an appointment within 10 days. A number of times I have turned up for my appointment on time and had to wait up to 45 minutes for a 5 minute appointment with a Doctor. I have also recently booked an appointment and turned up to find the surgery had been moved into the new building and I had not even been told when booking the appointment!
All in all I think there is serious room for improvement at this surgery and I will therefore be moving to another doctors.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 17 February 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for your comment, we value all feedback received. We have recently moved premises and clearly you should have been advised of this when making your appointment, we are also shortly to make improvements to our telephone management system.

Shazzy23 gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely disgusted!!

I moved here almost a year ago and registered at this practise every time iv tried to make an app I have to wait atleast a week to get seen and when I do come for an app I wait half hour on waiting room and in the doc room for 5 min! In sept I got burnt quite badly with oil and was rushed to the A&E , they treated me there for a few weeks then told me I can start getting my dressings changed at my local surgery. The nurses who treated me at the surgery were absolutely lovely and helpful and I have no problem at all with them as they made me feel comfortable. I was told I am able to start changing my own dressings and no longer needed to see a nurse, but now I needed to buy my own dressings witch infact is terrible on your side as I'm having to pay for prescriptions at 7.85 an item and only on a small wage with rent and bills to pay aswel. But that's not the point on Wednesday evening I started getting so much pains in my burn on my leg and this was 4 months after it happend I called the surgery on the Thursday evening to try get an app and they told me they fully booked I must try on the Friday. , I called first thing on Friday morning and explained to them that I needed to see someone as I think I have a bad infection in my burn and was told there is nothing they could do for me but was give me an app with the nurse the next Thursday! Which is 6 days away! Well thanks to you guys was in so much pain and rushed to A&E on the Saturday night and found out I have a huge infection in my leg thanks!

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 19 January 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you have had a poor experience with us and we would like the opportunity to investigate this further and take any corrective action, we do have a complaints procedure which would allow us to do this if you would like to contact the surgery directly.

rachel thompson gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 5 stars

GP

Having been a patient of this practice for 20 plus years, I visited today to see my "new" GP as both my previous, and great GP's who knew the full story, have now left the practice. Having a long and slightly complicated medical history I was somewhat apprehensive about this visit, concerned that no one would have had time to read and acquaint themselves with it. I needn't have worried, what a great person this was, they had taken the time to do their homework, and I never felt rushed in the consultation and feel that I have now found my new GP, I rushed home and recommended him to my partner who also used to see the two previous GP's who have left. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this GP to anyone wishing to join the practice.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 30 October 2013

Derwent Surgery replied on 30 October 2013

On a wet and windy Wednesday you have brightened our day. Thank you very much for your comment.

Tony Cresswell gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Level of care and concern

A routine eye test had displayed a problem to the High Street optician who told me I should have this investigated by a specialist and a referral would be required from my GP. I later attended what I expected to be a routine doctors appointment, and casually enquired if my referral to the Opthamology Dept had been processed. I was delivered a hammer blow by the doctor who had to inform me that in fact this meant that I was from that moment onwards, not to drive as my condition was DVLA enforceable.

Wow.

However, the doctor related this in the most wonderful and professional manner and due to where I live (no transport etc) saw to it that my application for further investigation was dealt with very promptly.

Indeed it was, as the very next day papers arrived to obtain an appointment but......... this would be in some 69days time, and was clearly not good enough to a self employed builder living in a remote transportless location. My doctor was on the phone to me within minutes of this news. Care and concern? - first class I say! I was given sound advice in a most considerate manner.

The long story may be shortened as the outcome was essentially a false alarm, but had it not been for the input of my doctor I could have slid into despair over an issue as alarming as your own eyesight. I was calmly guided along as to how to bring about a resolution to the crisis, and without doubt the advice was correct.

The doctor was a real gem - the model of professionalism yet retaining what we all hope to get - a really personal approach and display of concern for the patient. I received this in abundance and I might add that this in indicative of the practice.

Bravo to Derwent House, thank you!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 04 November 2013

Derwent Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for for providing us with this feedback.