Derwent House Surgery

Telephone: 01900 705350
Address: Cockermouth Community Hospital and Health Centre, Isel Road, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9HT
Website: http://www.derwentsurgery.co.uk/

rachel thompson gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

GP

Having been a patient of this practice for 20 plus years, I visited today to see my "new" GP as both my previous, and great GP's who knew the full story, have now left the practice. Having a long and slightly complicated medical history I was somewhat apprehensive about this visit, concerned that no one would have had time to read and acquaint themselves with it. I needn't have worried, what a great person this was, they had taken the time to do their homework, and I never felt rushed in the consultation and feel that I have now found my new GP, I rushed home and recommended him to my partner who also used to see the two previous GP's who have left. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this GP to anyone wishing to join the practice.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 30 October 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 30 October 2013

On a wet and windy Wednesday you have brightened our day. Thank you very much for your comment.

Dawn gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Holiday visitor

I was staying locally last week when I started a chest infection. I called into Derwent House at lunchtime and explained I was a chronic asthmatic, there were apologies that they didn't have an appointment till 4.10pm. The doctor I saw was lovely and took time to understand my complex medical history and why I needed antibiotics there and then. I felt very supported and their attitude has helped to minimise the effects of the infection on my long term health conditions. Many thanks indeed to the receptionists and the doctor who made it so easy for me to attend.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 21 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add this comment which will be shared with members of staff. We hope you enjoyed your holiday in the Lake District.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great care from the nursing staff

Both my children have required care from the nurses at this surgery over the last month and in each case the nurses have been excellent, explaining what was happening and what they were going to do to the children so that neither was scared nor afraid. All I can say is that I am really pleased with the level of service received and the ease of making repeat appointments for follow-up care.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 08 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 12 August 2013

Your comments will be shared with our Nursing Team and other members of Staff. Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts.

Charles Rogers gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

NHS Interference

Surgery & staff are excellent. Repeat prescriptions via the internet however has been dismantled by the NHS which gives a lot of useless information. This means that a very useful service has been removed for no apparent reason.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 08 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 12 August 2013

Thank you for your comment. The facility for ordering repeat medication has been replaced. The new Patient Access Service will allow you to order repeat prescriptions, book appointments and update your personal details. To register for this service please follow the instructions on this web page or collect an application form from the Surgery Reception.

Hyronimus gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Best Surgery ever.

I write this as a result of reading the negative reviews I have just come across on the website. Our experience in the six years we have been in Cumbria is that Derwent House offers the most welcoming and caring reception staff you could wish for. The Doctors are equally caring and do all they can to solve a problem, often going out of their way to help. They never rush even when they are obviously under time restraints.
The nurses are beyond reproach and are as pleasant and caring as anyone would wish them to be.
The pharmacy staff are also pleasant and patient even when busy.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 28 June 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 01 July 2013

Your comments will be circulated to all members of staff this morning. A very nice way to start a busy working week. Thank you.

Christine Close gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Professionalism at its best

I have been a patient of this practice for a number of years. Over recent months I have been seen by every member of the current practice. On each occasion I have found each doctor extremely professional, polite, courteous and always full of empathy.

All members of staff including those on reception and those in the pharmacy are always pleasant and very helpful.

The practice has a comforting and welcoming feeling and one of treating you with respect and honesty.

I also like the way the practice seems to always try to improve standards and the new system of making phone appointments and being able to speak to a doctor before you need or in some cases not need to visit the surgery is an innovative and excellent way to improve an already excellent service provided by this extremely professional practice.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 11 June 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 15 July 2013

This is an extremely useful and uplifting comment which will be discussed at our Partnership Meeting this evening. Thank you.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Declined rapidly, avoid if possible

Terrible service, long waits for appointments, never answer the phones, when I finally get an appointment there is frequently a very long wait in the waiting room. Doctors seem rushed and uncaring and reception staff are very unfriendly. Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 23 May 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 23 May 2013

We’re sorry we’re often short on appointments whilst we await our new partners, the doctors are working very long days.
We appreciate that many patients would prefer us not to have had to make changes, we would ask for support from all our patients, and ask patients to ensure they cancel appointments they cannot make to allow these appointments to be given to other patients. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the surgery.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Need to be able to see into the future

The surgery is so understaffed and overworked that getting an appointment within a week is now almost impossible. I rang the surgery today and after being put on hold for almost 10 minutes receptionist told me that they had no routine appointments until next Wednesday (10 days time!!!). When I asked what I was supposed to do if I needed to be seen sooner they replied 'we are very short staffed and have no other routine appointments until then. If you can tell me what is wrong I can get the duty doctor to ring you' Yes ring me, not see me to examine me. Whatever happened to doctor/patient confidentiality. What if I don't want to discuss my condition/illness with a receptionist who has no medical training whatsoever? Does that mean I cannot get to see or speak to a doctor? This practice is becoming a joke and nobody in a senior position seems to care, certainly not about the patients anyhow.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 20 May 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 23 May 2013

MockerkinMan recommended Derwent House Surgery

Excellent

What I liked

My doctor displays great empathy as they listen to my concerns. They come across as a deeply caring individual. They always explain treatment options carefully allowing me to make an informed decision. The reception staff are extremely courteous and helpful. The practice nurses are very kind and gentle. Overall my experience of the practice has been first class.

What could have been improved

It is a pity that one of the other doctors is so old school and utterly lacking in empathy, although I am aware that many elderly people like their style.

Visited in November 2012. Posted on 27 November 2012

Derwent House Surgery has not yet replied.

tonynic99 reviewed Derwent House Surgery

Very satisfied

What I liked

All staff Kind and friendly Always listen to what you have to say

Visited in May 2012. Posted on 09 May 2012

Derwent House Surgery replied on 14 May 2012

Your welcomed positive comment has been circulated to all members of staff. An uplift to a very busy Monday morning. Thank you.