Derwent House Surgery

Telephone: 01900 705350
Address: Cockermouth Community Hospital and Health Centre, Isel Road, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9HT
Website: http://www.derwentsurgery.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Making appointments

Tried to make an appointment, told I must wait two weeks, asked if there was any standby appointment like they had when it was at Derwent house, told no. Ask what i should do as I can't wait two week told to ring tomorrow and try again !?
Asked why was there such a long wait, I was told there is not enough appointment to meet demands. No wonder people use A&E
It was never this bad at Derwent house

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 22 April 2014

Derwent House Surgery replied on 28 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback, at times the demand for appointments can be extremely high and we are looking into ways to help improve this, we take all feedback seriously and we will review your comments. Our apologies if you felt the service did not meet your expectations.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

A surgery in need of serious improvement!

Making appointments is a nightmare at this surgery - phone calls go unanswered or you have to wait an age for your call to be picked up. When you finally get through you are lucky to get an appointment within 10 days. A number of times I have turned up for my appointment on time and had to wait up to 45 minutes for a 5 minute appointment with a Doctor. I have also recently booked an appointment and turned up to find the surgery had been moved into the new building and I had not even been told when booking the appointment!
All in all I think there is serious room for improvement at this surgery and I will therefore be moving to another doctors.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 17 February 2014

Derwent House Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for your comment, we value all feedback received. We have recently moved premises and clearly you should have been advised of this when making your appointment, we are also shortly to make improvements to our telephone management system.

Shazzy23 gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely disgusted!!

I moved here almost a year ago and registered at this practise every time iv tried to make an app I have to wait atleast a week to get seen and when I do come for an app I wait half hour on waiting room and in the doc room for 5 min! In sept I got burnt quite badly with oil and was rushed to the A&E , they treated me there for a few weeks then told me I can start getting my dressings changed at my local surgery. The nurses who treated me at the surgery were absolutely lovely and helpful and I have no problem at all with them as they made me feel comfortable. I was told I am able to start changing my own dressings and no longer needed to see a nurse, but now I needed to buy my own dressings witch infact is terrible on your side as I'm having to pay for prescriptions at 7.85 an item and only on a small wage with rent and bills to pay aswel. But that's not the point on Wednesday evening I started getting so much pains in my burn on my leg and this was 4 months after it happend I called the surgery on the Thursday evening to try get an app and they told me they fully booked I must try on the Friday. , I called first thing on Friday morning and explained to them that I needed to see someone as I think I have a bad infection in my burn and was told there is nothing they could do for me but was give me an app with the nurse the next Thursday! Which is 6 days away! Well thanks to you guys was in so much pain and rushed to A&E on the Saturday night and found out I have a huge infection in my leg thanks!

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 19 January 2014

Derwent House Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you have had a poor experience with us and we would like the opportunity to investigate this further and take any corrective action, we do have a complaints procedure which would allow us to do this if you would like to contact the surgery directly.

rachel thompson gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

GP

Having been a patient of this practice for 20 plus years, I visited today to see my "new" GP as both my previous, and great GP's who knew the full story, have now left the practice. Having a long and slightly complicated medical history I was somewhat apprehensive about this visit, concerned that no one would have had time to read and acquaint themselves with it. I needn't have worried, what a great person this was, they had taken the time to do their homework, and I never felt rushed in the consultation and feel that I have now found my new GP, I rushed home and recommended him to my partner who also used to see the two previous GP's who have left. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this GP to anyone wishing to join the practice.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 30 October 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 30 October 2013

On a wet and windy Wednesday you have brightened our day. Thank you very much for your comment.

Tony Cresswell gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Level of care and concern

A routine eye test had displayed a problem to the High Street optician who told me I should have this investigated by a specialist and a referral would be required from my GP. I later attended what I expected to be a routine doctors appointment, and casually enquired if my referral to the Opthamology Dept had been processed. I was delivered a hammer blow by the doctor who had to inform me that in fact this meant that I was from that moment onwards, not to drive as my condition was DVLA enforceable.

Wow.

However, the doctor related this in the most wonderful and professional manner and due to where I live (no transport etc) saw to it that my application for further investigation was dealt with very promptly.

Indeed it was, as the very next day papers arrived to obtain an appointment but......... this would be in some 69days time, and was clearly not good enough to a self employed builder living in a remote transportless location. My doctor was on the phone to me within minutes of this news. Care and concern? - first class I say! I was given sound advice in a most considerate manner.

The long story may be shortened as the outcome was essentially a false alarm, but had it not been for the input of my doctor I could have slid into despair over an issue as alarming as your own eyesight. I was calmly guided along as to how to bring about a resolution to the crisis, and without doubt the advice was correct.

The doctor was a real gem - the model of professionalism yet retaining what we all hope to get - a really personal approach and display of concern for the patient. I received this in abundance and I might add that this in indicative of the practice.

Bravo to Derwent House, thank you!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 04 November 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for for providing us with this feedback.

richt81 gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Breakdown in communication

I have used this surgery for a number of years and would say that the staff are always pleasant and professional. However sometimes the systems seem to break down.

Recently I was advised to contact my local hospital for fertility reasons. The telephone number given to me by the surgery was wrong. In fact it was the wrong hospital completely. It took an hour of ringing round five different departments of three different hospitals to finally be told that I had to fill in paperwork with my GP before I could make an appointment.

Also, the transition from the old repeat prescription service to the new patient access website has not been easy. There seems to be no requirement for the GP or the chemist to notify you if your request for medication has been rejected. This means that on several occasions, I have turned up at the chemist to collect my tablets only to be told that I will have to make another GP appointment for a review, before they will issue the prescription.
This has led to me running out of medication.

I understand that not all of this is the fault of the surgery, but sometimes a bit more joined up thinking could help things run more smoothly.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 06 November 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 24 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback which we will review and use to improve our services.

Mr C gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

New premises but still a really good service

I'm more than impressed with the service offered from this surgery. For a working man I can usually get to see a doctor on the day I require and the staff are more than helpful.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 28 October 2014

Derwent House Surgery replied on 30 October 2014

Dawn gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Holiday visitor

I was staying locally last week when I started a chest infection. I called into Derwent House at lunchtime and explained I was a chronic asthmatic, there were apologies that they didn't have an appointment till 4.10pm. The doctor I saw was lovely and took time to understand my complex medical history and why I needed antibiotics there and then. I felt very supported and their attitude has helped to minimise the effects of the infection on my long term health conditions. Many thanks indeed to the receptionists and the doctor who made it so easy for me to attend.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 21 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to add this comment which will be shared with members of staff. We hope you enjoyed your holiday in the Lake District.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

appointments.......terrible

when I first joined this surgery there was never any problem getting appointments,
I can not remember the last time I was ever able to get an appointment for when I need one, even after trying to book one for the following week!
when ringing its always 2 - 3 weeks later to get one!
when you do get an appointment and you are in the waiting area, there never seems to be a lot of people working I don't understand!
if the surgery is open all those hours and you are unable to get an appointment (people do work and are not able to take time off when they want) there must b a lot of ill people,

But on the plus side the staff are friendly.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 25 April 2014

Derwent House Surgery replied on 28 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback and your comments regarding our staff which will be passed on. At times the demand for appointments can be extremely high and we are looking into ways to help improve this, we take all feedback seriously and we will review your comments. Our apologies if you felt the servicve did not meet your expectations.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great care from the nursing staff

Both my children have required care from the nurses at this surgery over the last month and in each case the nurses have been excellent, explaining what was happening and what they were going to do to the children so that neither was scared nor afraid. All I can say is that I am really pleased with the level of service received and the ease of making repeat appointments for follow-up care.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 08 August 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 12 August 2013

Your comments will be shared with our Nursing Team and other members of Staff. Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts.