Derwent House Surgery

Telephone: 01900 705350
Address: Cockermouth Community Hospital and Health Centre, Isel Road, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9HT
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Declined rapidly, avoid if possible

Terrible service, long waits for appointments, never answer the phones, when I finally get an appointment there is frequently a very long wait in the waiting room. Doctors seem rushed and uncaring and reception staff are very unfriendly. Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 23 May 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 23 May 2013

We’re sorry we’re often short on appointments whilst we await our new partners, the doctors are working very long days.
We appreciate that many patients would prefer us not to have had to make changes, we would ask for support from all our patients, and ask patients to ensure they cancel appointments they cannot make to allow these appointments to be given to other patients. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the surgery.

Anonymous gave Derwent House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Need to be able to see into the future

The surgery is so understaffed and overworked that getting an appointment within a week is now almost impossible. I rang the surgery today and after being put on hold for almost 10 minutes receptionist told me that they had no routine appointments until next Wednesday (10 days time!!!). When I asked what I was supposed to do if I needed to be seen sooner they replied 'we are very short staffed and have no other routine appointments until then. If you can tell me what is wrong I can get the duty doctor to ring you' Yes ring me, not see me to examine me. Whatever happened to doctor/patient confidentiality. What if I don't want to discuss my condition/illness with a receptionist who has no medical training whatsoever? Does that mean I cannot get to see or speak to a doctor? This practice is becoming a joke and nobody in a senior position seems to care, certainly not about the patients anyhow.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 20 May 2013

Derwent House Surgery replied on 23 May 2013

MockerkinMan recommended Derwent House Surgery

Excellent

What I liked

My doctor displays great empathy as they listen to my concerns. They come across as a deeply caring individual. They always explain treatment options carefully allowing me to make an informed decision. The reception staff are extremely courteous and helpful. The practice nurses are very kind and gentle. Overall my experience of the practice has been first class.

What could have been improved

It is a pity that one of the other doctors is so old school and utterly lacking in empathy, although I am aware that many elderly people like their style.

Visited in November 2012. Posted on 27 November 2012

Derwent House Surgery has not yet replied.

tonynic99 reviewed Derwent House Surgery

Very satisfied

What I liked

All staff Kind and friendly Always listen to what you have to say

Visited in May 2012. Posted on 09 May 2012

Derwent House Surgery replied on 14 May 2012

Your welcomed positive comment has been circulated to all members of staff. An uplift to a very busy Monday morning. Thank you.

freda galloni reviewed Derwent House Surgery

Positive feedback...Thank you to the Derwent House Surgery Gp`s,Nurses, and staf

What I liked

Friendly and professional staff. Advised and offered choices by my gp who listens,gives me encouragement, always polite,respectful and shows a genuine interest in my problem despite a very busy surgery. Thanks to the wonderful nursing staff too, have always been treated with dignity and respect.

What could have been improved

Choose and book systems seem a good idea for choices regarding referral but the systems from initial booking which are convenient and arranged for one`s working life are then changed by the acute hospital administrative systems which can result in several weeks longer wait. Why does one make an appointment to then be reappointed inconveniently?

NHS Choices in this respect are simply NHS Choices and not those of the service user population. Surely extra administrative costs are incurred, environmental wastage and indeed unreliable statistical data regarding waiting times following the initial referral process.

Visited in December 2011. Posted on 11 January 2012

Derwent House Surgery replied on 12 January 2012

Your comments are very encouraging and have been shared with all members of staff.

Anonymous recommended Derwent House Surgery

Welcoming, caring ,professional, assured your interests are paramount.

What I liked

I have been a patient of this practise for many years and have always without exception found all of the staff to be professional, respectful and caring in their approach. I was treated with dignity at all times. It is important and reassuring to know that the GPs, reception and practise staff all work together in your best interests. There is never a problem in securing an appointment at short notice if you are prepared to wait and probably not with your chosen GP.

This is a practise which strives at all times to maintain professional standards. They welcome feedback which in my opinion is always a good sign. The environment at the practise is welcoming. Unfortunately, and with great sadness, I have recently had to register with another medical practise, on account of moving home.

What could have been improved

Nothing apart , from if the NHS ever provided the resources to the GPs, then longer appointments with your doctor.

Visited in September 2011. Posted on 28 November 2011

Derwent House Surgery replied on 28 November 2011

Thank you for your kind comment which has been circulated to all members of staff.

Mostly good

What I liked

Mostly good practice with some doctors who are not so good. Easy to contact and appointments are usually available within a week. Staff are pleasant and respectful.

Visited in February 2011. Posted on 07 November 2011

Derwent House Surgery replied on 09 November 2011

Thank you for comments which will be shared with members of staff.

Anonymous recommended Derwent House Surgery

Absolutely first rate response from all involved. Very grateful thanks.

What I liked

Absolutely first rate service and response from all involved. Very grateful thanks and appreciation.

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 27 October 2011

Derwent House Surgery replied on 27 October 2011

Your comment is appreciated and will be shared with all members of staff.

Anonymous reviewed Derwent House Surgery

Inflexible, unsympathetic & unhelpful receptionist. Not willing to help.

What I liked

Nothing - staff member/receptionist was most unhelpful & patronising. Not willing to help my situation at all.

Most outdated/problematic procedure for a simple request - to find out if my son need inoculations for a visit abroad at short notice. Basically 3 visits required to the surgery when only 1 is necessary actually because you need 1 to pick up a photocopied form - why cant this be downloadable online for printing?
2nd visit to hand the form in - why cant this be completed over the telephone in exceptional circumstances or e-mailed to the surgery - this form doesnt even require a signature! I was told because of data protection/confidentiality - what? There is nothing on this form that I wouldnt want anyone to see & surely if I give permission by sending the info then what is the problem.

Then another visit - acceptable as this is required to actually get the injections that may or may not be necessary. But you are to arrange an appointment anyway 2-3 days later.

What could have been improved

More flexible up-to-date procedures - even just being able to download/print this form would have been so much more helpful & cut out 1 from 3 visits to the surgery.

And a less patronising & more helpful/understanding member of staff - I am not some silly young girl who doesnt understand procedures or requirements but something could have been done here to help but I was told 'no - there is no other way to do this you must do it this way' because , in my opinion, they didnt understand or care about my situation & my difficulties getting to the surgery.

I do have the staff members name & am willing to provide it.

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 06 October 2011

Derwent House Surgery replied on 14 October 2011

Thank you for contacting the surgery. We are very sorry your request was not dealt with to your satisfaction and note your comments which have been discussed within the practice. Our Reception staff are unable to deal with travel vaccine queries over the telephone. Completed travel forms are viewed by a Practice Nurse who will check the area(s) to which the patient is travelling, review each patient’s personal record and then give advice on any vaccine recommendations. We are currently in the process of designing a surgery website which will enable patients to download standard forms and this will streamline the process. Patients may also access travel information via the NHS Choices website which lists the up to date information for all travel destinations.

Liz W recommended Derwent House Surgery

Professional, caring, kind and understanding. Great surgery

What I liked

I have visited the practice nurse for the first time, and am incredibly impressed with their kindness, warmth, professionalism and interest. They were a real pleasure to be with, and treated me so kindly, i had to tell you all!! A real asset to the surgery. I have been to the GPs who are also very professional, knowledgeable, gentle and kind. Altogether a really fantastic surgery.

What could have been improved

Only problem would be trying to make appointments but thats not always their fault, just volume of sick people!! Wish we were able to make appointments for a few days in advance for non urgent issues, that we can arrange around our working hours. Thanks all for your care and attention.

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 21 June 2011

Derwent House Surgery replied on 22 June 2011

It is always nice to receive a positive comment which will be passed on to our Nursing Team and shared with other members of staff. Thank you.