Derwent Surgery

01900 705350 Cockermouth Community Hospital and Health Centre, Isel Road, Cockermouth , Cumbria, CA13 9HT

Mr G. gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Nice Surgery But Still Has Issues To Overcome.

Appointments can take over 3 weeks if you need to see a specific Doctor, The online booking service always has appointments much later than what you are offered via the phone line(which can take 20-30mins of being on hold to get through to) I have had appointments for x-rays go astray and because of the delay now require to see a surgeon. Its not just this surgery,the hospitals you are sent to like west cumberland for example are difficult to get to and when you do get there you begin to notice just how awful the service is, a very unhygienic hospital with a poor quality of care. Cockermouth X-ray department is not present hence having to be sent all over the county to get one. The receptionists are helpful and the Doctors generally understanding, but the reception area could do with being sorted out as it is generally messy. The lighting around the area appears to be faulty as they flicker on and off a lot which could be hazardous. Some doctors may require better training as i have had times were doctors have had to look up treatment on there mobile phones. A bit of further advice is to not use the in house chemist as they never have all your prescriptions or the full amounts which involves having to come back for the rest of your prescription on another day. Delays in waiting to be seen on time can be extreme with some doctors. Thankfully i have found one whom i can rely on but in general most have long delays past your given appointment time( mind you not as bad as it was in derwent house were appointments regularly could be an hour wait or more). Still long delays should be informed of when you arrive.I have also noticed that the messaging service online is never replied to when you leave a message, and sometimes repeat prescription errors occur.I would hope these are just teething problems at present as the hospital in general has potential.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 24 October 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for your feedback. The aspects relating to the hospital services which are not GP related have been passed on. Our online booking is reflective of GP appointments available and patients do not get appointments sooner just by ringing the surgery. We try to keep our waiting areas tidy and the reception staff routinely do this as part of their role.

Anonymous gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 3 stars

GP good, dispensary not so good.

It took a long time to get through on the phone line, but I eventually got through and made an appointment for the following week. I was fine with this as my condition wasn't serious.

I had an appointment with one of the new doctors and I must say that I was impressed. The doctor was on time, pleasant and attentive.

I went to the in house dispensary for my prescription as I didn't have time to go into town. I was served by a member of staff who was most unpleasant and bordering on insolent. I won't be going there again to be spoken to in that way and would suggest that re-training is in order.

It was a shame that the dispensary service did not match the service provided by my GP, but they are under the same roof so should be of the same quality.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 07 November 2014

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent appointment with a GP. We are sorry that you also did not receive the same level of service from the in-house pharmacy/dispensary. I have discussed this with our dispensary satff and also forwarded your comments onto Castlegate Pharmacy - I must stress that this is not the same as the dispensary. It would be helpful to us if we could identify the staff member, we would therefore request that you either contact the Practice Manager of the surgery on 01900 705350 or the Pharmacy Manager on 01900 826018.

Anonymous gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Good family doctors - nice new premisies

Since this practice has moved to the new Cockermouth Hospital I have found no significant change in the level of service received. Appointments do seem a little harder to get, but I would say that is to be expected when there are increasing numbers of people putting undue pressure on the system. With any such move to new premises, along with combining of services and systems there will always be teething problems, however the doctors and staff have always been professional, efficient and courteous.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 September 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 25 September 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback.

New patient experience

I have just registered with this practice and I am already disappointed, if you work typical hours you will struggle to get an appointment after 5 for a Doctor. They used to do drop in sessions after surgery hours at 6 pm but that has stopped. Just another example of how patients cannot access primary care when they need it. Not impressed.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 24 September 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 25 September 2014

Our last GP routine appointment is 17:10 however people who need to be seen on the day can attend after this time.

Anonymous gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 2 stars

waiting times

It is astonishing to see that this gleaming new surgery is accepting new patients when it appears the standard waiting time for an appointment is over 2 weeks- could the funds not have been spent on making enough GPs available when their customers want them?

I was also disappointed to see that the waiting area was very messy with leaflets strewn about when I arrived for my 9am appointment last week- no time for patients to mess them up that morning which means that the surgery manager doesn't appear to mind how the surgery looks. Incidentally as as first appointment of the day at 9am why was I kept waiting for 15 minutes whilst I saw staff arriving late?

Staff need training assisting customers with ordering prescriptions online- the receptionist seemed completely floored by a request by another customer for information on this- and why do we need to ask anyway, couldn't the system be made more user friendly?

Its a very nice looking new surgery with excellent parking, hopefully the waiting times issue can be overcome soon.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 30 September 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 01 October 2014

I am surprised that you were unable to get an GP appointment within 2 weeks when our current wait time for a routine appointment is less than 1 week - this is extremely good given GP waiting times are a national problem and within some surgeries it can be 3 weeks! Often if you are requesting a specific GP then your wait may be greater. Hopefully we will be better able to meet your demands next time.

Anonymous gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Lack of communication on important issues

The surgery has changed its opening hours without telling anyone. I phoned this morning to an emergency GP appointment only to find they had been all taken because you now have to phone in at 8am not 8.30. The times had changed as has the procedure for getting emergency appointments - but no attempt has been made to tell the patients this, the only way of finding out is phoning and not getting an appointment.
A major change like this needs to be properly communicated to patients - I now know but there will be a lot of people who still don't know.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 11 August 2014

The phone lines open at 08:00 and this has been the case since 2010, the surgery itself does not official open until 08:30 when some appointments start. We use various methods to communicate to patients, unfortunately it would be unaffordable for us to write to all patients every time we made a change.

Mrs T gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Getting worse

This surgery is on the decline. It used to be efficient and friendly and now it is slack and unwelcoming.

After waiting two weeks for an appointment I had the displeasure of a consultation with a GP who aggressively disagreed with the previous diagnosis by one of their own partners like it was my fault. I had followed their instructions and as I was returning to a GP, I was made to feel that I had been irresponsible. Their tune soon changed when I pointed out that I was following advice to the letter given to me by their own surgery.

I feel that there needs to be less back covering and more patient care like there used to be. If the other surgery in town wasn't on the same premises and suffering the same problems I would move.

Let's get back to caring. Please!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 27 July 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 05 August 2014

Thank you for providing us with your comments which we aim to use as a learning experience. We would like to think we provide a caring service to all our patients, however, in this instance you clearly feel that we have not achieved this. Unfortunately without knowing further details we are unable to investigate the matter further, although we will discuss your comments at one of our practice meetings.

Eric gave Derwent Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Unhelpful and unfriendly

I had 30 years with my previous GP and never had any issues at all. Due to moving home I went with this GP and they are unhelpful, unfriendly, unapproachable, unavailable and god help you if you ever need a simple repaeat prescription! Prescripotion line is only open 10am - 1 pm (WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which means it is always engaged and so you spend 3 hours trying to get thru, which you can't - so you have to start again the next day.
When I complained, I was told I could order online, which I had to register first and then go up to the surgery with ID so that I could then go home and order the repeat precription. IT IS A JOKE!

Go anywhere else but Derwent House is my recommendation.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 01 September 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 04 September 2014

Thank you for your comment which I will ensure the staff at Derwent Surgery are aware of and we will discuss. The process for registering for online prescriptions is very similar amongst most practices and we have little control over this, once it has being set up most patients find it works well.

Disorganised, unfriendly, dirty

The reception is chaotic and this seems down to poor communication between the staff and general disorganisation. The nurses and drs do a good job though, and I think this would be a good surgery if it weren't for reception.

The waiting area is scruffy, not clean and it's always too hot in there. Signage is very poor and it's confusing where to go.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 08 May 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 09 May 2014

Your comments regarding reception staff will be discussed with the team, although constructive feedback would be helpful so we can highlight any particular areas. We recognise there are short comings in the signage since moving into our new premises and we have worked with staff and patient representatives to make improvements, which we hope to implement during the next few weeks. We are sorry you feel our new premises are scruffy, we are very proud of this facility and as everything is new we are surprised to receive this negative feedback. Our cleaning team are monitored and any poor standards are highlighted.

Can't get help

I tried to ring this morning at the time that the website said the surgery was open (0830) and was told that all the emergency appointments had gone so I could only get a phonecall from a doctor.
The doctor phoned at the same time as someone else tried to ring that phone so left an answerphone message for me to ring back.
When I phoned he was busy and couldn't take my call due to an appointment... So I was told he'd try again. After not hearing anything for 4 hours I tried to phone again only for the receptionist to be impatient and defensive with with me. I asked when the surgery would close so that I knew when to go to cue doc (as I feel the need to see someone today).

I have 2 main things to say about this...
First, is that I am only looking for help, medical assistance with something I struggling with.
And second, how have I been prioritised after these "emergencies" when I have not had the chance to say what is wrong?

When people are at their weakest and most vunerable they need kindness and help.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 13 May 2014

Derwent Surgery replied on 30 May 2014

We are sorry on this occasion our service did not provide you with the assitance you required, we always welcome the opportunity to investigate matters like this in further detail so we can learn and make improvements.