Millbrook Medical Practice

Address: Hollybank, Off Grove Road, Stalybridge, Lancs, SK15 3BJ
Website: www.gtdhealthcare.co.uk/practice/11/millbrook-medical-practice.aspx

Ryan Curtis gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

GP feedback

I was left to feel worthless, and deplorable. I came in with a serious problem and was told in not so many words to leave, with advice which was preposterous and made no sense whatsoever.

He made me feel inadequate.

Because of this I am leaving this surgery, shame as my other GP was helpful, along with all the other staff.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 September 2014

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 10 September 2014

We are sorry you were made to feel this way. I believe you may have been seen by a Locum GP. If you would like to contact the surgery to discuss your situation or book with your usual GP we would be happy to assist.

Anonymous gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

This Practice has somewhat failed me

I have been coughing up blood for roughly two years. I have had panic attacks because I
could not breathe.

The surgery lost my sputum sample.... I was told it must have been 'lost in translation'. So I gave in another sample after waiting all that time for nothing. I was then told it had 'grown', which didn't surprise me.

I booked an appointment and the other GP showed little interest in what had been happening to me (coughing up blood, breathing problems, fatigue, sometimes out of breath, coughing violently which resulted in cracked ribs). I was told "We will refer you" and "If we don't refer you, you won't be happy", then finally it was thrown at me, "What do you think a respiratory specialist will do for you?" Obviously I could not answer such a rude and silly question, as I'm not a doctor.

We patients do not come to surgery with answers do we? (Point taken - it's my problem and not the GP's problem which explains the rude things said to me.) Still, it is quite shameful.

I will write to the manager quite soon which will use up some precious time of mine, although I shouldn't have to because a GP behaving like this should not happen.

I have lost confidence in this GP and will never go to them again. They upset me and spoke down to me, and it was totally unnecessary. GP's are getting paid far too much to behave this way towards patients who are ill.

This is not the first time I have been addressed rudely and in an arrogant way. This GP in particular seems to simply have a competitive manner, and it's not good enough.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 28 August 2014

We are sorry you do not feel confident to see your GP and would be happy to arrange a meeting to discuss this further if you so wish.

Anonymous reviewed Millbrook Medical Practice

GP:Practice Comment

I had my very first ECG scan (heart) and regular blood tests were done. It was all very uninformative and unpleasant. The HCA was rushing around and came over as very nervous.

I wasn't told what the ECG would involve and they knew it was my first - they ended up counting down my ribs to find the right spot near my heart for a sticker to be placed, and doing this in a very heavy handed way which caused me some pain. I was too tolerant to say something.

The blood test was done again quite fast and furiously, and they went straight through the big vein in my arm with the needle. (I said I was nervous just before this test and I was spoken to in a dismissive way.) A couple of days later a dark purple bruise appeared on my arm (about an inch and a half) and worked its way up my arm gradually for about 11 days! I experienced some tenderness during this time. I have never seen this on my body following a blood test before, and must have had about a dozen blood tests done in the past.

I left my surgery feeling quite shaken and upset. Hopefully there is some way of training this person so that they act in a much more calm and professional way, which will make nervous patients feel as though they are in better/safer hands?

I should have put a stop to the entire appointment at the first little warning signs. For me (and also given distressing past experiences with the NHS), I think a chaperone every single time I attend for any sort of test is a must. That way at least the individual treating me has no choice but to 'think' before they act.

It suddenly becomes hard for me to trust those who work in the medical profession when they act in a way that comes over as abnormal, such as rushing around, acting nervous, being verbally dismissive or overpowering. It gives such an awful impression.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 01 August 2014

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 28 August 2014

We are extremely sorry that you felt this way after your visit to the surgery. The Practice Manager or if you prefer other Healthcare professional is available to speak to you at any time about your experience if you would wish to contact the surgery personally at any time.

Becca gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Shocking

After reading reviews i decided on this surgery as i moved into the area but have been disappointed/annoyed every visit. Firstly i have never waited less that 30mins (after my app time!) to see a doctor yet if i was late i wouldnt get in! And never mind other things i have to get to i once waited an hour in reception and i have an appointment! Doctors treat you like you are wasting their time. I went in after a miscarriage with a little list of questions i was told i cant deal with all that in an appointment you only get 5mins!! And at an emotional time i was devestated and felt so alone with no medical opinion to turn to. In a separate appointment my husband spend 30mins trying to fix the printer or i couldnt have my perscription! I will never recommend this doctors surgery.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 24 April 2014

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 25 April 2014

We are extremely sorry to hear of your experience at Millbrook. All GP appointments are booked on 10 minutes slots and we encourage patients to book a double appointment where possible in order to allow more time, if they have more than one issue to discuss. It would help us greatly if you could contact the Practice Manager to discuss the matter so that we can investigate exactly what happened on the day of your visit and the reason for any delay.

Anonymous gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely Amazing Service with the nicest reception staff

This is actually my husbands doctors practice, so he has answered reference the rating out of 5 stars which this practice has scored 5stars on every question! The reception staff just can't do enough for you, my husband forgot to put his repeat medications in and he got a prescription in less than 15 minutes...My practice certainly cannot do this! I fully intend to write a thank you to the Practice Manager with special emphasis on the receptionists, who, as I wrote previous are wonderfully kind. I recommend this practice very highly and they take care of my husband so well.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 20 January 2014

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 24 January 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are always grateful for any kind of feedback and all the team appreciate compliments and positive feedback from patients.

Anonymous reviewed Millbrook Medical Practice

Communication Problems/Confusion

I called the practice to book a test after getting a letter telling me to do so. The receptionist wasn't having it for some reason and spoke down to me telling me to go a hospital in another borough for the test(!) Too many wrong assumptions were made before I was given a chance to speak. When they gave me the chance I explained I was told to book an appointment with my GP surgery according to the letter received.

Finally, after me making clear I need this test doing they gave me an appointment. However it took a lot of convincing and I have to bring the letter with me, as proof I should have this test. It seems like they almost don't believe me.

At the end of the phone call I was told that I was "getting confused". So a bit overpowering and unprofessional, and I'm very disappointed given how good reception used to be.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 19 December 2013

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 20 December 2013

We are sorry to hear of your issue when booking your appointment. On occasion if patients receive a letter from other healthcare providers we would ask for a copy to ensure the correct test is carried out. If you wish to discuss the matter further please contact the Practice Manager who will be able to investigate what happened.

jean hayes gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

amazed

My husband and I have recently moved to the area and have signed on at millbrook surgery ,early days yet but I have only positive things to say.I was completely amazed to be able to book an appointment for my husband the same day I rang we always had to wait a week at our old surgery.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 12 September 2013

Millbrook Medical Practice has not yet replied.

BobM123 gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Gets Better and Better

I have been ill now for 7 years and with this practice for 18 months and without doubt my Dr of choice has been brilliant in getting my health under control. My meds are now more accurate, the number of my appointments has reduced, and my referrals are accurate and timely.

From front of house, practice manger, nurses to my Dr, I have nothing to complain about.

Those that seem to may need to look at how flexible they are with regard to appointments; we can’t always have it 'now' and spend time getting to know your GP. They are not mind readers present your situation clearly and your treatment will be better. And of course follow the GP’s advice!!!! If you don’t there is no point in going!!!!

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 20 April 2013

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 17 May 2013

Thank you for your comments which are much appreciated by all the team at Millbrook Medical Practice.

Anonymous gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Not happy so far...

I was a little apprehensive about changing doctors, as my previous doctors, whom I had been a patient with for many years, were everything one could ask for, and expect from a doctors surgery. Based on the positive reviews here, about Millbrook Medical Practice, I decided to register with the practice when I moved to the area. I have had no problems whatsoever with the reception staff, and I can not fault them at all. They are attentive, compassionate, caring, friendly and approachable; and they set the bar for how a doctors reception should be. However, the doctor I have seen has been dismissive, cold, abrupt; and I feel, very lacking in compassion, to the point where I am reluctant to approach the doctor, and I am now seriously considering looking for a new GP. Appointments have felt very rushed; and almost everything I have said, has either been misheard, or dismissed out of hand, and the doctor has jumped to very wrong conclusions about my situation, without listening properly, and finding out all the facts first, or taking the time to actually get to know me. So far, I have not felt as though I have much say in my own care with this practice, and this is the first time I have ever felt unable to completely trust a doctor, and feel comfortable approaching them should the need arise. It saddens me to have to leave a negative review at this time. However, I will try to continue to give it a chance, and hope the doctor will take the time to get to know patients properly, before jumping to very wrong conclusions about them, and making things harder and more stressful for them than they need to be. After 3 appointments so far, I am beginning to doubt whether this doctors surgery is the right choice for myself and my family. No-one should have to feel reluctant when they need to contact their own doctor. It is so important to feel that your GP cares and listens, and that you can trust them when you are at your most vulnerable. So far, this has not been my experience, and one I hope will change for the better in the future, whereby it doesn't feel like such a battle, and as though I am not just a bother to the doctor, who doesn't seem to care beyond doing only the things that they really have to do, without falling short of the minimum expected of a GP. Hopefully, it is just 'teething' problems, and I will be able to leave a more positive review in the not so distant future.

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 09 January 2013

Millbrook Medical Practice replied on 10 January 2013

We are very sorry to read that you feel less than happy with your choice of GP at Millbrook Medical Practice. Please be assured that you may speak to the Practice Manager, or any of our healthcare professionals, in confidence at the practice so that we can investigate your experience further and ensure that you feel comfortable and confident receiving our care. We positively encourage all feedback and comments from our patients and see them as a way to review our services and improve and develop our team.

Geoff Ames gave Millbrook Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

quality care

Having used GPs for many years, I can say this is the best all round clinical care I have received.

Visited in December 2012. Posted on 15 May 2013