Check here for alerts

Spring Terrace Health Centre

0191 296 1588 Spring Terrace, North Shields , Tyne and Wear, NE29 0HD

Anonymous reviewed Spring Terrace Health Centre

Rude receptionist on the phone

On a number of occasions I have had reason to ring up the surgery. I'm often greeted with a very abrupt tone of voice "Can I take the patients name?" It sets the tone of the call and is rude. Very rarely if there a 'Hello' and 'How can I help you?'. I have not experienced this in other surgeries in the area.

I suggest the staff take a different approach to answering the phones in the future. Often people are in a vulnerable state when they ring their GP and some compassion wouldn't go amiss.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 01 March 2016

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 04 March 2016

In response to your comments above please be assured that all the staff at Spring Terrace Health Centre try their upmost at all times to offer the best possible service to all our patients.

Spring Terrace Health Centre always welcomes constructive feedback to help us shape the service that we provide. Unfortunately we cannot comment any further as the post has been published anoymously. In order for us to address individual issues we ask that that patients contact us directly.

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Very happy

After moving here a few years ago I joined the practise along with my husband and now two girls. I alway feel listened too and never feel rushed and have never had any problems trying to get an appointment. The staff are really nice and helpful. It also has late appointments which is great for my husband aswell .

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 22 January 2016

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 04 March 2016

We are delighted that you feel your patient experience was a positive one and thank you very much for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback.

administration staff

Booked 4 weeks in advance for nurse yearly checkup. Cancelled short notice by surgery and booked for next day. Turned up an I was seeing the in house chemist for a medication which was pointless and a waste of time as I had only changed my medication 4 weeks earlier with the inhouse chemist.

I'm annoyed as I was not advised when they changed my appointment from a nurse to chemist as I had question for the nurse which they couldn't answer. I rang to complain and rebook to be told my an unsympathetic receptionist we changed the yearly check up ages ago to medication review only. Strangely enough my wife had been for her yearly check up a week earlier which included bloods weight and other checks. I was then told I don't need this. Although I'm registered disabled not able to move round much and family history of heart problems so now the receptionist are expert Dr's. So I asked them a few question about my concern and they didn't have a clue. Once you get past the poor information communication and speak to a Dr or nurse their great but office should be sacked from top to bottom and start from scratch

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 21 October 2015

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 22 October 2015

In response to the comments regarding staff, please be assured that all the staff at Spring Terrace Health Centre try their upmost at all times to accommodate and will try to seek further information should patients require it. We endeavour to offer the best possible service to all our patients.

Spring Terrace Health Centre always welcomes constructive feedback to help us shape the service that we provide. Unfortunately we cannot comment any further regarding the issues mentioned, as the post has been published anoymously. In order for us to address individual issues we ask that that patients contact us directly.

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Ridiculous appointments and rude admin staff

I walked into the surgery today to book an appointment 7/7/15 I am told that the earliest I can see anyone is the 28/7/15, but I can telephone in the morning or return tomorrow to try and get others which will be released ......... but I'm here now. I am then offered a booking online option, which I tried when I got home and the earliest was the 30/7/15 and not with the dr I have been seeing. When I questioned this I was told I could go to a walk in centre.

It is evident that the system is not working for the patients, lots of people are complaining but there is no change. Time to move GP's.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 07 July 2015

Unhappypatient gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

I have been with this surgery for a while however over the last few years I have found it increasingly difficult to get an appointment when I need it, always have to wait weeks for a book in advance appointment and rarely can get an on the day appointment even though I ring when the phone lines open at 8.15. I always have to repeat ringing for at least 10 mins before the call is put through and have all of my team ringing to try and get through quicker, this is very frustrating as I am supposed to be working! The staff tho curtious don't seem to think this to be a problem and are of no help in trying to accommodate you. Steer clear unless you have the patience of a saint and can cope with pain ect for weeks!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 24 April 2015

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 28 April 2015

Spring Terrace Health Centre always welcomes feedback, be it good or bad. We encourage patients to contact us directly so we are able to respond to individuals problems/needs as quickly as possible. We are sorry to hear that this patient has experienced difficulty in securing an appointment, but unfortunately demand at times can be very high. We are constantly reviewing our appointment system so that we are able to offer as many appointments as possible with the resources available to us. We appreciate that the telephone lines can be busy first thing in the morning when daily appointments are released. At presents patients can book appointments by telephone, in person or on-line.

In response to the comments regarding staff, please be assured that all the staff at Spring Terrace Health Centre try their upmost to accommodate and help patients at all times.

JacC gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Appalling appointment system!

When my Mum moved to North Shields from Wallsend over two years ago I registered her with this surgery as there were a wide number of doctors and I hoped this would mean it would be easy to obtain an appointment when needed.

Every single time Mum has needed to see a doctor I have had to have a heated discussion with the receptionist. Unless you ring at 8.15am on the dot and are prepared to sit and press redial over and over again you will not manage to get a same day appointment.

Having read through similar complaints from other patients, I just wonder why oh why this surgery does not do something to address this issue!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Very poor front of house

Once you get past the poor reception and badly organised team the doctors are great, had to attend walkin centre last three times when i wanted an appointment and i mean i was phoning up to 100 times first thing in morning to get an appointment and when you get through they say all gone phone tomorrow morning and the repeat the cycle. Worst booking process in all the gp's I have ever been under.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 21 June 2015

Ang gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Getting worse by the day

This always used to be a great surgery and I always managed to get an appointment for myself and family members when we needed them, however over the last two months I have called on three separate occasions and been told twice to go to battle hill walk in centre and then today that there are no appointments available at all and to ring back tomorrow. This was on the receipt of a letter from the surgery asking me to make an appointment !
The last time the surgery called me to make an appointment this was organised, I turned up at the time specified and waited over 30 mins to be seen as the receptionist had given me the wrong appointment time on the phone. When I saw the doctor they realised that they didn't have any information to give me so it was a pointless exercise.
Suggestions for the surgery if they read these reviews - make sure that the doctors have time to review the case before requesting the patient makes an appointment, make some appointments bookable online, if there are no appointments available update the phone message to say so, so that you don't sit in the queue for nothing.
The receptionists I have dealt with recently have been very blunt and unfriendly which also doesn't help matters.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 02 February 2015

Appalling appointment system

It is impossible to book an appointment! I have called on and off for the last couple of month with no success to book a suitable time. It is an impossible system since you have to call on the day. Today my husband got an appointment to be told that he will need a follow up with the hospital and that they will need to contact the right department... so that was a waste of time since he could have been told on the phone! Today I was looking to make a complaint about the booking system and came across their website that states you can book up to four weeks in advance! What a joke. I was told many times you had to call on the day. So to this day I still haven't seen anybody....

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 17 July 2014

The practice is very sorry to here that this particular patient is unhappy with the appointment system we offer. We endeavour to offer the best possible service to all our patients. Unfortunatley we can not comment any further, as this has been published anoymously. The practice welcomes any suggestions or comments patients may have, but in order to repond to individual issues, we ask that patients contact us direct.

Trevor Bulmer gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Ridiculous appointments policy and other strange 'rules'

I have been with this practice for over 24 years and left it very recently when I was informed that some X ray results were ready but I needed to wait a further 3 weeks for a 'telephone appointment' to get them.

This was a normal GP practice when I joined it and had a GP. When the doctor retired, seems like 10 years or more ago, it seemed like the GPs did not want the extra powers and responsibilities and it became an NHS managed practice without patients having a named GP. And things have just gone from bad to worse since.

It seems like the individual members of staff, the doctors and nurses, are fine, but that practice management and policies are just crazy. I suspect that administrators and accountants rather than medical staff are in charge.

There are two types of appointments. 'Normal' ones for which there is usually a 3 week or so delay and 'urgent' ones which are released at 8.15 each morning. But most appointment reasons fall between these two stools. One might have thought that the practice management may have known that this is the case.

Ironically enough, as I have diabetes so most of my appointments are with nurses and set up by the practice, and usually with far less notice than the 3 weeks it takes me to get a 'normal' appointment.

On a recent visit I noticed that a sign was up indicating that appointments were 'for a single illness' or similar wording. Whilst I understand the need to restrict appointment length my understanding is that patients may not always indicate their main concern. Surely the patient should be treated, not the illness.

I also note that the surgery declines to give an email address, which would allow the patient to retain a copy of emails sent, but requires electronic correspondence via the surgery's website. I am sure practice management consider this process very efficient, patients could regard as controlling and not in their interests.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 13 July 2014