Spring Terrace Health Centre

Telephone: 0191 296 1588
Address: Spring Terrace, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE29 0HD
Website: Website address not added

Appalling appointment system

It is impossible to book an appointment! I have called on and off for the last couple of month with no success to book a suitable time. It is an impossible system since you have to call on the day. Today my husband got an appointment to be told that he will need a follow up with the hospital and that they will need to contact the right department... so that was a waste of time since he could have been told on the phone! Today I was looking to make a complaint about the booking system and came across their website that states you can book up to four weeks in advance! What a joke. I was told many times you had to call on the day. So to this day I still haven't seen anybody....

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 17 July 2014

The practice is very sorry to here that this particular patient is unhappy with the appointment system we offer. We endeavour to offer the best possible service to all our patients. Unfortunatley we can not comment any further, as this has been published anoymously. The practice welcomes any suggestions or comments patients may have, but in order to repond to individual issues, we ask that patients contact us direct.

Trevor Bulmer gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Ridiculous appointments policy and other strange 'rules'

I have been with this practice for over 24 years and left it very recently when I was informed that some X ray results were ready but I needed to wait a further 3 weeks for a 'telephone appointment' to get them.

This was a normal GP practice when I joined it and had a GP. When the doctor retired, seems like 10 years or more ago, it seemed like the GPs did not want the extra powers and responsibilities and it became an NHS managed practice without patients having a named GP. And things have just gone from bad to worse since.

It seems like the individual members of staff, the doctors and nurses, are fine, but that practice management and policies are just crazy. I suspect that administrators and accountants rather than medical staff are in charge.

There are two types of appointments. 'Normal' ones for which there is usually a 3 week or so delay and 'urgent' ones which are released at 8.15 each morning. But most appointment reasons fall between these two stools. One might have thought that the practice management may have known that this is the case.

Ironically enough, as I have diabetes so most of my appointments are with nurses and set up by the practice, and usually with far less notice than the 3 weeks it takes me to get a 'normal' appointment.

On a recent visit I noticed that a sign was up indicating that appointments were 'for a single illness' or similar wording. Whilst I understand the need to restrict appointment length my understanding is that patients may not always indicate their main concern. Surely the patient should be treated, not the illness.

I also note that the surgery declines to give an email address, which would allow the patient to retain a copy of emails sent, but requires electronic correspondence via the surgery's website. I am sure practice management consider this process very efficient, patients could regard as controlling and not in their interests.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 13 July 2014

Peter reviewed Spring Terrace Health Centre

Contacting the Gp Surgery

Today 19/05/14 my mother tried to contact Spring Terrace Surgery, North Shields since 08.15hrs and the telephone constantly rang off before being disconnected. As she has been in bed since Thursday last week she was trying to get an appointment to see her GP . She tried continually ringing the surgery and due to the fact that nobody in the reception area had the decency to answer the phone and speak to her she got a taxi to the surgery to try and see ANY GP. On arrival at the surgery she was informed that under no circumstances would she be able to see a Dr today as they were fully booked. She requested to see a doctor the following day to be informed that the surgery was fully booked for the rest of the week and it would be better off contacting them next week, my answer is HOW as nobody answers the phone.
I don't believe it is unreasonable for somebody to be able to answer the phone at the surgery but to ignore it is unbelievable.
My parents are in there late seventies early eighties and to request that they have to travel to the surgery to take a chance to see if there is a cancellation is not short of deplorable and unrealistic. All people are asking is answer the phone to give people information as to travel or not so that they are not turned away once they have made an uncalled for journey.
As a public sector worker myself I can understand why people are turning up at hospital for treatment because the service which is provided from the surgery is disgusting.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 19 May 2014

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 4 stars

Telephone appt

Good doctors but rubbish appt system. As an example one day from 8;15 i made 115 calls from my mobile to try and make an appt can I suggest a queuing system with a message saying your no 13 in the que we will answer your call in spprox 5 mins etc this would be better to hear instead of engaged tone.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 08 June 2014

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 17 July 2014

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced difficulty in booking an appointment recently. The practice endeavours to offer the best possible service to all our patients. We welcome any suggestions and comments patients may have. We appreciate that at time the telephone lines can be very busy, we ask that patients please bear with us during these busy times and be assured that the Reception team are answering calls as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Appointment system

This practice seems to have an appointment system designed to send people to A&E for treatment. If you want a "same day" appointment you have to phone the practice in the morning (after 8.15) when you will know doubt find that the phones are constantly engaged. When you eventually get through (half and hour later!) you will probably be told all appointments are gone and to try again tomorrow!! After 2-3 days of this farce when you ask if you can book an appointment you will probably be told the first available bookable appointment is in two weeks time!!!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 12 November 2013

Don't Bother

If you want a same day appointment you have to ring at 8.15am - try ringing at 8.15! constantly engaged, have to drive down and stand outside (god help people you cant drive). When you eventually get through all app gone but you can have one in 3 weeks time! when you go in for app there is hardly anyone waiting! Would like to know how many docs work at one time and for how many hours it is obviously not very long!.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 21 November 2013

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 2 stars

There are Pros and cons

Firstly, I have always found the doctors to be highly professional, knowledgeable and approachable so there are certainly no complaints on that front.

It's a shame the medical service is let down so badly by an atrocious appointment booking procedure involving a binary classification of either emergency appointments for the same day or bookable appointments 2-3 weeks in the future!

When booking an appointment for my young children we've been forced to call first thing and obtain a same day appointment when 2-3 days would have been more than acceptable, this may have prevented someone with a more urgent requirement from attending their local surgery!

In most cases we've been redirected to the nearest walk-in centre (with an excellent service) which defeats the object of being registered to a local surgery as it involved juggling other children and both parents missing work as opposed to just one!

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 07 January 2014

Anne bartle gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Patient care

I have always found the staff there extremely helpful and courteous. The receptionists try to help you where possible, the doctors are very kind, efficient and helpful. Lovely practice and would not consider moving to one nearer home unless standards fell drastically.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 10 June 2013

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

If you value your health avoid this practice.

I left this surgery as a patient in August 2012. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in fact I would advise leaving. The place is not patient friendly. There is very little human contact with the reception rarely manned and that is behind a walled and small glass screen. It is impossible to get an appointment on a particular day or see a doctor of your choice, this is despite what they say on their website. Somewhere along the line someone has briefed the front counter staff to tell potential patients they can’t have an appointment unless they run the gauntlet of phoning early in the morning -otherwise you can't see a doctor and they refuse to offer you an appointment at all. I have consistently been told this and in an offhand, take it or leave it manner. I hope for the sake of the doctors there that they read this because I doubt they know. Badgering ill patients and the elderly into going away will one of these days cause someone's death.

Visited in August 2012. Posted on 15 January 2013

linda fraser recommended Spring Terrace Health Centre

I was treat in a friendly and dignified way, thankyou.

What I liked

All the doctors at the centre, are very friendly and approachable. I can get an appointment when needed, the receptionists are always very helpful whether in person or over the phone. The waiting area is always brightly lit and very clean, with plenty of magazines to read. The tile murel which has just been completed with the help of patients, hangs in the waiting room , it is a lovely peice of art, very colourfull. My thanks to all the doctors and staff at Sring Terrace, for the wonderfull work they do.

What could have been improved

nothing