Spring Terrace Health Centre

Address: Spring Terrace, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE29 0HQ
Website: www.springterrace.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 2 stars

There are Pros and cons

Firstly, I have always found the doctors to be highly professional, knowledgeable and approachable so there are certainly no complaints on that front.

It's a shame the medical service is let down so badly by an atrocious appointment booking procedure involving a binary classification of either emergency appointments for the same day or bookable appointments 2-3 weeks in the future!

When booking an appointment for my young children we've been forced to call first thing and obtain a same day appointment when 2-3 days would have been more than acceptable, this may have prevented someone with a more urgent requirement from attending their local surgery!

In most cases we've been redirected to the nearest walk-in centre (with an excellent service) which defeats the object of being registered to a local surgery as it involved juggling other children and both parents missing work as opposed to just one!

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 07 January 2014

Don't Bother

If you want a same day appointment you have to ring at 8.15am - try ringing at 8.15! constantly engaged, have to drive down and stand outside (god help people you cant drive). When you eventually get through all app gone but you can have one in 3 weeks time! when you go in for app there is hardly anyone waiting! Would like to know how many docs work at one time and for how many hours it is obviously not very long!.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 21 November 2013

Appointment system

This practice seems to have an appointment system designed to send people to A&E for treatment. If you want a "same day" appointment you have to phone the practice in the morning (after 8.15) when you will know doubt find that the phones are constantly engaged. When you eventually get through (half and hour later!) you will probably be told all appointments are gone and to try again tomorrow!! After 2-3 days of this farce when you ask if you can book an appointment you will probably be told the first available bookable appointment is in two weeks time!!!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 12 November 2013

Anne bartle gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Patient care

I have always found the staff there extremely helpful and courteous. The receptionists try to help you where possible, the doctors are very kind, efficient and helpful. Lovely practice and would not consider moving to one nearer home unless standards fell drastically.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 10 June 2013

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

If you value your health avoid this practice.

I left this surgery as a patient in August 2012. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in fact I would advise leaving. The place is not patient friendly. There is very little human contact with the reception rarely manned and that is behind a walled and small glass screen. It is impossible to get an appointment on a particular day or see a doctor of your choice, this is despite what they say on their website. Somewhere along the line someone has briefed the front counter staff to tell potential patients they can’t have an appointment unless they run the gauntlet of phoning early in the morning -otherwise you can't see a doctor and they refuse to offer you an appointment at all. I have consistently been told this and in an offhand, take it or leave it manner. I hope for the sake of the doctors there that they read this because I doubt they know. Badgering ill patients and the elderly into going away will one of these days cause someone's death.

Visited in August 2012. Posted on 15 January 2013

linda fraser recommended Spring Terrace Health Centre

I was treat in a friendly and dignified way, thankyou.

What I liked

All the doctors at the centre, are very friendly and approachable. I can get an appointment when needed, the receptionists are always very helpful whether in person or over the phone. The waiting area is always brightly lit and very clean, with plenty of magazines to read. The tile murel which has just been completed with the help of patients, hangs in the waiting room , it is a lovely peice of art, very colourfull. My thanks to all the doctors and staff at Sring Terrace, for the wonderfull work they do.

nothing

Visited in February 2012. Posted on 02 February 2012

Anonymous recommended Spring Terrace Health Centre

I don't know where I would be without them to turn to!

What I liked

It is not all about medication with this practice - sometimes a good listener is all that is needed - and they certainly provide that.

What could have been improved

I really cannot think of anything that needs improving from my point of view - they always manage to stay one step ahead. They provide late appointments, online medication ordering service, newsletters to keep patients informed to name but a few things I have found useful. Perhaps online booking of appointments - but I have never ever had a problem getting through on the telephone and securing an appointment or home visit at short notice. I find the frontline staff very polite and helpful in what can be a difficult job I imagine.

Any other comments

I cannot praise these doctors (and other staff) enough - it doesn't matter which one I have an appointment with they are all courteous and understanding. My family and I have been with the practice for many, many years and need them rather more now. I view them as extended family - there in times of trouble and need and willing to listen and offer advice without being judgemental. Marvellous indeed.

Visited in July 2011. Posted on 09 July 2011

kelvin cowey reviewed Spring Terrace Health Centre

Re modelling.

What I liked

The reception has gone through much needed improvement in the last three years in terms of staff and now at this point in time,in terms of the building.This will result in a significant improvement overall in service to the patient and the for the moral of the staff. I am very pleased with the practice and would recommend it to anyone.

What could have been improved

mmmh, perhaps better outreach to the local residents in terms of news, a 'whats happening'. but this is a minor thought.

Visited in May 2010. Posted on 17 May 2010

Phillip Mckenzie recommended Spring Terrace Health Centre

Excellent practice, staff work like horses for their patients

What I liked

I have been going to this practice for at least 30 years. I am Diabetic and all of the nurses area are very friendly. I miss one doctor, they were one in a million, but to be honest the doctors are all great on the panel. Very helpful, and listen to you intently. The practice is beng refurbished at the moment, but they way they have organised the porta cabins works well. Well done !!

What could have been improved

I think they manage well on the staff they have!!

Visited in April 2010. Posted on 02 May 2010

Anonymous recommended Spring Terrace Health Centre

G.Ps are very good, approachable and listen.

What I liked

All G.Ps in volved in the care of my family have been very good, patient and consistent. The G.P practice is clean and has a wide range of information about a number of local services.

What could have been improved

Front line staff such as receptionists can often be rude and unhelpful. I feel like I have to jump over a hurdle just to speak to a Dr. Confidentiality is sometimes compromised when talking about patients at the recption area.
I think their attitude could be improved when dealing with patients as many times trying to get medical attention can be stressful and upsetting. It doesn't help when staff are abrupt.

Any other comments

It would be helpful if there were more things in the waiting room to entertain small children.

Visited in October 2009. Posted on 11 December 2009

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 07 January 2010

Thank you for the positive comments about our practice and GPs. You should be aware from the recent newsletter that we are about to have a lot of work done on the building which we hope will improve the patient confidentiality when speaking to the receptionists at the front desk. We like to think that our receptionists are generally polite and helpful, although it can sometimes be difficult when dealing with so many patients every day. However, we are very aware of the need for customer care and we will continue to encourage and train the whole team to deal with patients in a friendly and helpful manner and to give the best possible service, particularly when patients are trying to arrange appointments with the GPs.
Gill Hannam, Practice Manager