Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Spring Terrace Health Centre

Telephone: 0191 296 1588
Address: Spring Terrace, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE29 0HD
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Ridiculous appointments and rude admin staff

I walked into the surgery today to book an appointment 7/7/15 I am told that the earliest I can see anyone is the 28/7/15, but I can telephone in the morning or return tomorrow to try and get others which will be released ......... but I'm here now. I am then offered a booking online option, which I tried when I got home and the earliest was the 30/7/15 and not with the dr I have been seeing. When I questioned this I was told I could go to a walk in centre.

It is evident that the system is not working for the patients, lots of people are complaining but there is no change. Time to move GP's.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 07 July 2015

Unhappypatient gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

I have been with this surgery for a while however over the last few years I have found it increasingly difficult to get an appointment when I need it, always have to wait weeks for a book in advance appointment and rarely can get an on the day appointment even though I ring when the phone lines open at 8.15. I always have to repeat ringing for at least 10 mins before the call is put through and have all of my team ringing to try and get through quicker, this is very frustrating as I am supposed to be working! The staff tho curtious don't seem to think this to be a problem and are of no help in trying to accommodate you. Steer clear unless you have the patience of a saint and can cope with pain ect for weeks!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 24 April 2015

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 28 April 2015

Spring Terrace Health Centre always welcomes feedback, be it good or bad. We encourage patients to contact us directly so we are able to respond to individuals problems/needs as quickly as possible. We are sorry to hear that this patient has experienced difficulty in securing an appointment, but unfortunately demand at times can be very high. We are constantly reviewing our appointment system so that we are able to offer as many appointments as possible with the resources available to us. We appreciate that the telephone lines can be busy first thing in the morning when daily appointments are released. At presents patients can book appointments by telephone, in person or on-line.

In response to the comments regarding staff, please be assured that all the staff at Spring Terrace Health Centre try their upmost to accommodate and help patients at all times.

JacC gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Appalling appointment system!

When my Mum moved to North Shields from Wallsend over two years ago I registered her with this surgery as there were a wide number of doctors and I hoped this would mean it would be easy to obtain an appointment when needed.

Every single time Mum has needed to see a doctor I have had to have a heated discussion with the receptionist. Unless you ring at 8.15am on the dot and are prepared to sit and press redial over and over again you will not manage to get a same day appointment.

Having read through similar complaints from other patients, I just wonder why oh why this surgery does not do something to address this issue!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Very poor front of house

Once you get past the poor reception and badly organised team the doctors are great, had to attend walkin centre last three times when i wanted an appointment and i mean i was phoning up to 100 times first thing in morning to get an appointment and when you get through they say all gone phone tomorrow morning and the repeat the cycle. Worst booking process in all the gp's I have ever been under.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 21 June 2015

Ang gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Getting worse by the day

This always used to be a great surgery and I always managed to get an appointment for myself and family members when we needed them, however over the last two months I have called on three separate occasions and been told twice to go to battle hill walk in centre and then today that there are no appointments available at all and to ring back tomorrow. This was on the receipt of a letter from the surgery asking me to make an appointment !
The last time the surgery called me to make an appointment this was organised, I turned up at the time specified and waited over 30 mins to be seen as the receptionist had given me the wrong appointment time on the phone. When I saw the doctor they realised that they didn't have any information to give me so it was a pointless exercise.
Suggestions for the surgery if they read these reviews - make sure that the doctors have time to review the case before requesting the patient makes an appointment, make some appointments bookable online, if there are no appointments available update the phone message to say so, so that you don't sit in the queue for nothing.
The receptionists I have dealt with recently have been very blunt and unfriendly which also doesn't help matters.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 02 February 2015

Appalling appointment system

It is impossible to book an appointment! I have called on and off for the last couple of month with no success to book a suitable time. It is an impossible system since you have to call on the day. Today my husband got an appointment to be told that he will need a follow up with the hospital and that they will need to contact the right department... so that was a waste of time since he could have been told on the phone! Today I was looking to make a complaint about the booking system and came across their website that states you can book up to four weeks in advance! What a joke. I was told many times you had to call on the day. So to this day I still haven't seen anybody....

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 17 July 2014

The practice is very sorry to here that this particular patient is unhappy with the appointment system we offer. We endeavour to offer the best possible service to all our patients. Unfortunatley we can not comment any further, as this has been published anoymously. The practice welcomes any suggestions or comments patients may have, but in order to repond to individual issues, we ask that patients contact us direct.

Trevor Bulmer gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Ridiculous appointments policy and other strange 'rules'

I have been with this practice for over 24 years and left it very recently when I was informed that some X ray results were ready but I needed to wait a further 3 weeks for a 'telephone appointment' to get them.

This was a normal GP practice when I joined it and had a GP. When the doctor retired, seems like 10 years or more ago, it seemed like the GPs did not want the extra powers and responsibilities and it became an NHS managed practice without patients having a named GP. And things have just gone from bad to worse since.

It seems like the individual members of staff, the doctors and nurses, are fine, but that practice management and policies are just crazy. I suspect that administrators and accountants rather than medical staff are in charge.

There are two types of appointments. 'Normal' ones for which there is usually a 3 week or so delay and 'urgent' ones which are released at 8.15 each morning. But most appointment reasons fall between these two stools. One might have thought that the practice management may have known that this is the case.

Ironically enough, as I have diabetes so most of my appointments are with nurses and set up by the practice, and usually with far less notice than the 3 weeks it takes me to get a 'normal' appointment.

On a recent visit I noticed that a sign was up indicating that appointments were 'for a single illness' or similar wording. Whilst I understand the need to restrict appointment length my understanding is that patients may not always indicate their main concern. Surely the patient should be treated, not the illness.

I also note that the surgery declines to give an email address, which would allow the patient to retain a copy of emails sent, but requires electronic correspondence via the surgery's website. I am sure practice management consider this process very efficient, patients could regard as controlling and not in their interests.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 13 July 2014

Peter reviewed Spring Terrace Health Centre

Contacting the Gp Surgery

Today 19/05/14 my mother tried to contact Spring Terrace Surgery, North Shields since 08.15hrs and the telephone constantly rang off before being disconnected. As she has been in bed since Thursday last week she was trying to get an appointment to see her GP . She tried continually ringing the surgery and due to the fact that nobody in the reception area had the decency to answer the phone and speak to her she got a taxi to the surgery to try and see ANY GP. On arrival at the surgery she was informed that under no circumstances would she be able to see a Dr today as they were fully booked. She requested to see a doctor the following day to be informed that the surgery was fully booked for the rest of the week and it would be better off contacting them next week, my answer is HOW as nobody answers the phone.
I don't believe it is unreasonable for somebody to be able to answer the phone at the surgery but to ignore it is unbelievable.
My parents are in there late seventies early eighties and to request that they have to travel to the surgery to take a chance to see if there is a cancellation is not short of deplorable and unrealistic. All people are asking is answer the phone to give people information as to travel or not so that they are not turned away once they have made an uncalled for journey.
As a public sector worker myself I can understand why people are turning up at hospital for treatment because the service which is provided from the surgery is disgusting.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 19 May 2014

Anonymous gave Spring Terrace Health Centre a rating of 4 stars

Telephone appt

Good doctors but rubbish appt system. As an example one day from 8;15 i made 115 calls from my mobile to try and make an appt can I suggest a queuing system with a message saying your no 13 in the que we will answer your call in spprox 5 mins etc this would be better to hear instead of engaged tone.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 08 June 2014

Spring Terrace Health Centre replied on 17 July 2014

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced difficulty in booking an appointment recently. The practice endeavours to offer the best possible service to all our patients. We welcome any suggestions and comments patients may have. We appreciate that at time the telephone lines can be very busy, we ask that patients please bear with us during these busy times and be assured that the Reception team are answering calls as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Appointment system

This practice seems to have an appointment system designed to send people to A&E for treatment. If you want a "same day" appointment you have to phone the practice in the morning (after 8.15) when you will know doubt find that the phones are constantly engaged. When you eventually get through (half and hour later!) you will probably be told all appointments are gone and to try again tomorrow!! After 2-3 days of this farce when you ask if you can book an appointment you will probably be told the first available bookable appointment is in two weeks time!!!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 12 November 2013