Holdenhurst Road Practice

01202 587111 199 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth , Dorset, BH8 8DE

Elaine Cudsi gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Mobility Problems

I suffer with severe arthritis in my knees and hips and find walking even a few paces extremely painful. After several years of this I decided that as I had not seen my orthopedic surgeon for at least two years, and having noticed a marked deterioration in my condition I would ask for a referral from the surgery. Despite having had previous home visits, this time I was told it was not an option, and that they wanted to see at their 'Joint Clinic', so I struggled onto my mobility scooter and went to the surgery. Because I had to walk from my scooter into the surgery, I was already in extreme pain, I then had to sit for 45 minutes until I was called. Apparently they have to tell you if the waiting time will be longer than 30 minutes but no-one bothered to tell me anything. After being sat for 45 minutes I was extremely stiff and in great pain when I was called and the doctor that led me into the consulting room had to wait several times for me to catch up. The doctor looked bored and unsympathetic. I said that I would like a referral to see my orthopedic surgeon for an update on my condition as they had told me on my previous visit that if my condition got worse then they wished to see me again. There was two doctors in the room and both told me that I would need to see a physiotherapist and a nutritionist before they would refer my anywhere. I was very upset by this especially as I was obviously in extreme pain by this time and had already told them that my quality of life was now very poor. The said if I really wanted an x-ray then I could make an appointment and 'pop' along to the hospital for one. I explained the 'popping' along to the hospital meant my husband taking half a day off work but they were just so unsympathetic that I gave up and left in tears. Now I have to make another appointment to try and find a doctor who will be understanding enough to do what I asked for in the first place and it may mean another painful trip to the surgery. I will be transferring my registration to another medical centre as soon as possible, in the hope that there is a doctor somewhere that will listen.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Anonymous reviewed Holdenhurst Road Practice

Depends on which doctor you get

Getting an appointment at the surgery can be relatively easy, however, getting an appointment with your preferred doctor is almost impossible. Some of the doctors are rude and uninterested and do not take symptoms seriously enough i.e. refer to specialist or order x-rays, however, one doctor in particular who isn't part of the regular team, is absolutely excellent and exactly what I'd expect from a doctor - takes a genuine interest, prescribes appropriate medication, referals for x-rays etc. This should be the norm not just pot luck though, so all things considered I would not rate this surgery very highly.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Disappointing! Avoid it

This place has disappointed me most of the times. Some doctors are good but some are horrible. Went for my back pain few months ago and the doctor didn't even check me properly. I m 26 and the doctor said back pain happen with age! I am 26 not 62! Went in emergency today for stiff neck and same doctor said they can't do anything about it. It takes couple of weeks to recover and they try to educate people they shouldn't go to emergency for such things. Really? Such response is like an insult and is unacceptable. I am in horrible pain and I have all the rights to go and take treatment. (Prescribed me with a gel as a treatment and told me to take ibeprophin) I was advised to go to emergency by 111. I am not going there for fun! The appointments take forever and it's waste of time. Receptionists are grumpy and they think they are doing you favour by booking you in.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 January 2017

Bonnie Gray gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Very annoyed!

I have been trying to arrange an appointment for the last few weeks, I have explained it is a urgent matter and I keep being put off and asked to call next week. I have had them cancel on me without reasoning and made no attempt to better the situation or offer a alternative. I have now been forced to find some kind of treatment elsewhere

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 January 2017

Hendrik gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service and proffesional help.

I've been with this surgery for about 11 years, i always was treated and helped in a professional manner, I've always been able too if I needed to see a doctor urgently, staff are friendly and helpful, I don't have any negative experiences with this surgery.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 13 December 2016

Seriously annoyed gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Appalled

The surgery is good in terms of giving emergency appointments. I have seen a few different doctors and cannot fault any of them all helpful and generally caring. The receptionists however are not. I'm on regular medication went to surgery on Monday to order and asked them to send it to chemist directly. They demand two days for this so I went to chemist on Saturday morning, which gave the staff 5 days. To my surprise the chemist practitioner told me they've never sent the request. I'm travelling from tomorrow, which means I will have to interrupt the treatment. Absolutely appalling and thank you for that. Not the first bad experience either in the past they have taken almost ten days to type the recommendation to specialist by which time I was so ill I was unable to work. They have also misplaced my prescription that doctor left for me and took over 20 min to find it. Just terrible...

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 13 August 2016

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Disgusted by a particular receptionist

I still have to put in a formal complaint in respect of a particular receptionist. I feel strongly that what I experienced yesterday 25th of August is not acceptable and I wouldn't wish for anyone to go through that.I am not the one who complains for nothing, however, on this occasion I was deeply saddened by this person's attitude, underhanded approach and dismissive attitude to a point of rudeness.What saddened me most is that they are the front face of what should be a caring service, presents as a mature person and one would assume they have some life experiences.First of all there was no greeting except for asking if we had an appointment, what happened to ' hello I'm [name] approach' as a first step to make vulnerable patients feel welcome.I visited the surgery as my sister who is visiting from South Africa, unfortunately has became unwell requiring urgent medical attention. Working with the public myself it didn't bother me at all to explain the purpose of the visit to this receptionist. I came to the surgery having been to another surgery first where I was advised to visit where I was registered. I must emphasise that this advice was given in a professional manner.It is also worth to note that prior to this I have checked the NHS website about accessing help as a visitor and my understanding was that there would be a minimal fee which was not a concern. However, all I got from this receptionist was a confusing and conflicting message, first of all they were unhappy that I was still registered with the surgery whilst living in Northbourne. The receptionist does not know anything about my circumstances whatsoever, they told me in a firm voice that I should not be registered with the surgery. They went on to suggest that I go to Northbourne surgery .All in all very dismissive in their approach and their non verbal language was that of 'just leave'.After having informing them that I was advices to visit where I was registered they then said my sister has to seek private care as she cannot be seen then, she needs to go to Nuffield hospital. At this point I informed the receptionist that I was appalled by their attitude and I wished to make a complaint.With a mug on their face and sarcastic tone they said ' I think you should' they then quickly asked if I wanted to talk to their manager to which I said 'yes please'. They then called their manager to say 'there's a lady here who wants to make a complaint about me'. with no further information to what happened first. They later said the manager was not able to see but would phone me.At this point I asked for a complaints leaflet and the receptionist and their colleague said there were none which I found very strange! When I asked their name they only gave their second name and made it clear that legally they weren't required to. Not that I by any means suggested they needed to. Clearly there is a strong lack of personal care, it's good enough to have a good CQC report but it is people like this receptionist who clouds the reputation of any service.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 26 August 2016

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic surgery

The reception staff are incredible. They are always very helpful, kind and polite and i dont think they get enough credit for what they do. They are very welcoming, in person and on the phone. They do a fantastic job and i for one appreciate all they do, so thankyou all.

Doctors are fantastic here and i wouldnt go anywhere else. All in all, this is the best surgery.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 March 2016

Anonymous reviewed Holdenhurst Road Practice

Can't get appointment for medication review

My partner asked for a telephone appointment before the 1st april as this is when her medication is due for a review and my partner asked if it could be with a certain doctor and the receptionist replied they have nothing pre-bookable, so my partner asked how about any of the other doctors and again she was told nothing is available and then she was told you will just have to phone the same morning it's due, my partner said what as an emergency appoinment then she said yes, so what if my partner still can't get an appoinment that day?
What is the point of putting my partners medication on regular reviews, if you cant give her an appoinment with any of the doctors to review it, you are making life very awkward for my partner & myself as it will not allow me to order her medication for her online until it's been reviewed, which is dangerous as she has to take these medication every single day and she could end up having have dangerous withdrawal symptoms if she can't take her medication as it needs reviewing but she can't get any appoinment with you to review it, this is ridiculous, even if she phones the same day, she will not be guaranteed an appoinment, she previously had all her medications reviewed each year, now she is suddenly expected to do reviews in April,May,June & July for her different medications, but she can't even get telephone appointments & she is housebound as well, this is terrible treatment, she needs all her tablets, which she has been on for a long time now & the reviews should be put back to longer periods, that would make it easier for yourselves & my partner & my self.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 29 March 2016

Anh Tuan Hoang gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 4 stars

Excellent service.

The only problem I got is that I have to wait a few days for my appointment. The staff were friendly and very nice. As an foreigner, I can see and feel their enthusiasm every time I come here. I definitely will recommend this surgery for all of my acquaintances in case they have any health problems. Once again, I want to express my special thanks to staff and doctors there.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016