Holdenhurst Road Practice

Telephone: 01202 587111
Address: 199 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH8 8DE
Website: http://www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk/

Useless surgery

Generally, when people are ill they call up and want an appointment; they don't plan to be ill two weeks in advance! I cannot understand how I am always offered an appointment that is so far away. There is a strong mix of doctors at this place too, being extremely good and sympathetic while one is extremely patronising and uncaring.

Today, I will be finding another GP.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 25 February 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 25 February 2015

We are genuinely sorry that you are unhappy with the Surgery. Two-week waits are for routine appointments to deal with ongoing, chronic or non-acute medical conditions, they are not intended to address acute/immediate needs. If you have a more urgent problem or need to be seen or to speak with a Doctor on the same day, then this can be arranged for you. The strong mix of doctors we hope most patients will find to be a good thing. We have 7 GPs working at the surgery and as your rightly identify, all have different ways of working and approaches. A style that suits one person will not necessarily suit another and so every patient is welcome [and encouraged] to see their preferred GP[s]. If there is one that does not suit your particular style then please ask the receptionist to book with a different doctor and this can almost always [excluding some urgent/same day appointments] be accomodated.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this individual situation with you personally and in confidence. Please feel free to call me directly. Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. Debbie Morris - Practice Business Manager

rudeness in abundance

Where do I start. Needed an appointment for my 4 year old son due to a bad cough was told rudely on the phone unless it was an emergency the next appointment wasn't for another 2 weeks so I stated I thought it was serious enough to warrant an appointment sooner than that. I told the receptionist my son was at school and was promptly told it's not an emergency if he's well enough for school. I was offered a telephone appointment which to be fair was not good enough how could the doctor hear my sons cough talking to me. I accepted and spoke to a very caring doctor who put my mind at ease and told me to call back for an appointment if it didn't ease in the next few days. He would be seen straight away. It didn't ease so I called back and was told next appointment in 2 weeks I explained I'd already spoken to a doctor and the doctor said to call back and get an appointment straight away. Was again rudely spoken to and told a doctor wouldn't say that. I hung up and decided to take my son straight over in the hope of getting am appointment. When I got there I was again rudely told no appointments but to go home and call the surgery and they would get a doctor to call me back and they would decide if he needed to be seen straight away. What an absolute joke my son at this point was coughing badly in the surgery to the point a little old lady got up and said to the receptionist he can have my appointment to which the receptionist replied no he can't. Fortunately at this point the doctor who I had spoken with previously on the phone came out and took the receptionist aside obviously telling them to book my son in. High five to the doctor. Obviously the receptionist wasn't happy they had their judgement overruled and said just go and sit down. My son was seen within 15 minutes and given antibiotics for a chest infection. These receptionists need more training in people skills I appreciate it is very hard to get appointments these days be I sympathize with the doctors but come on a small cough in a young child can turn into something nasty very quickly. On another point you have a notice up saying our phone calls to you are very important why then have I just sat for 11 minutes listening to the ring tone with no pick up. Would it not make more sense in such a busy surgery to have a rota for the receptionists where they just answer the phone not book people in then answering the phone if they have a spare minute. Just a thought.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 16 February 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 17 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to enter your response and I am sorry you felt we had let you down in this instance. You raise several points which we have take seriously and I would like to discuss with you to obtain more detail. If you would be kind enough to contact me in confidence it would enable me to review the timing of these events and as necessary ensure that the appropriate member [s] of staff receives the guidance they need. Please call Debbie Morris on 01202 587111

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

It is difficult to understand all the negative comments.

I have absolute confidence in the surgery and all it's staff.
I have been present when the occasional patient abuses the receptionists, uncalled for in any circumstances. The receptionists manage difficult patients with the utmost courtesy, and i have never heard anything but politeness from all of the staff, unfortunately i cannot say the same for some of the patients.
Except for the delays sometimes in answering telephone calls ( I will be absolutely honest). unsurprising, considering the amount of patients you have.
The doctors & nurses are also first class, and do consider myself and my wife lucky to have registered with this surgery.
Thank you all, and may you continue to give excellent service to your patients, a five star service in every aspect.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 11 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 12 October 2014

It is extremely uplifting to read your comments; thank you for taking the time to leave your views on this website. My heart usually sinks when I receive and email to say a comment has been left as so very often and as I have mentioned in previous posts, it is a sad fact of life that this website is mostly used by thoe wishing to leave negativite comments. The very positive feedback we often get from our patients comes via our patient surveys and in cards, letters and comments made directly to the surgery.

As the Manager of the surgery, I know how very committed each and every member of staff is and how very hard they all work to offer excellent service. As you correctly identify, this can sometimes be under really challenging circumstances and particularly for our reception team who are in the front line. Holdenhurst Road is a very busy surgery; testament its overall popularity and the excellent service that we do offer. I do apologise if we are still not managing to pick up calls as quickly as you would like. I regularly review telephone calls both in and out and try to adjust staffing levels to deal with current demand; it is not an easy balance particularly with more and more patients wanting increased telephone access to Doctors and Nurses. Add in that we are working from challlenging premises without any additional spce for more staff and the reality of occassional unexpected absence; I hope you can appreciate how it hard it can be. I fully appreciate we do not always get it right but I would like to reassure you that we will continue to do our best to improve on this aspect of service as we know that it is important to you. On the whole, we do feel that our patients are very considerate to the demands of a busy surgery and that they are both appreciative and grateful for the high levels of service we endeavour to offer; there is nothing quite as rewarding however as when a patient takes the time to tell you that, particularly publicly!!! Once again, thank you for taking time out to leave this comment.

Mr king gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

the poor standands

this gp service is poor and best and im speaking from experience the doctors palm u off when there unsure and them telling u whats wrong or getting to the cause of ur health issue take so long

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 28 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 17 February 2015

We are very sorry you were unhappy with the service you received. Some conditions can be difficult to diagnose and it can take longer in certain circumstances particularly where there are a number of potential complaints that it could be. In situations like this, the doctors follow recommended pathways to order tests etc. It is difficult to make any further comment without additional information but if you would like to contact me, I would be very happy to look into it for you and take a second clinical opinion.

Awful!!!!!

Worst drs surgery ever!!! Takes 40 minutes to get through by phone, waiting over an hour for every appointment, to then find the receptionists booked your appointment with a Dr that cant do it even though you clearly specified what needed doing!! Would not recommend surgery!!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 12 October 2014

I am sorry to read your comment and apologise if a mistake was made when booking your appointment. If you waited 40 mins for the call to be answered then I would agree that this is unacceptable; I am aware that at very busy times there can be some delay but I have not been made aware of it taking this long. If you could tell me what time of day you called and the number you called from, I can check this on the computerised telephone system for you and take the matter up with the staff concerned. With regard to the procedure apparently being booked with the wrong doctor, again, it is hard to comment or look into this for you without more information. The staff in reception have a list of procedures and details of which procesures doctors can and cannot undertake. I would apologise once more if an error was made but can assure you that if it was it would have been a genuine human error and is not something that I have known happen before. Unortunately, as I was not informed about these problems at the time and without additional information it is impossible to comment further; if you would like to contact me personally, I would be more than happy to look into the matter for you.

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 3 stars

Brilliant GPs let down by rude, unprofessional receptionists

Very disappointed to have to leave this review as all the gps I've seen at this practice have been excellent, spending as much time as necessary on appointments and genuinely caring (one was close to tears talking to me once and said how worried they had been!). Sadly, they are let down badly by rude, unprofessional, ignorant reception staff. When being asked why i wanted to have a phone appointment today and giving the reason as a tooth infection (yes, normally dealt with by a dentist but as mine is due to awaiting oral surgery under the care of my gp) i was laughed at and told i must mean a gum infection. Er, no, that was not what i meant. I work in medicine, so i know what I'm talking about especially when it comes to my own health. I then said, as i always do, that i am usually on phone at work so if i don't answer straight away to call back. I was then lectured that they can't spend all day calling people who don't answer their phones. I'm especially offended by this attitude as i work on a medical helpline and if i spoke to my patients in this manner i would be severely reprimanded. Complaint to practice management is in the works - which will include praise of the wonderful gps I've seen and how disappointing it is that their ignorant and offensive reception staff seem determined to get a patients back up before they even speak to a doctor.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 11 September 2014

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Doctors, we are sorry that you have not felt happy with the service received from the receptionist. As the Manager at Holdenhurst Road, for our patients I believe we should be providing not only excellent clinical care but also excellent customer service. I had not responded until now as I understood you would be contacting me directly; unfortunately I have not yet received anything from you but if you still feel you wish to contact me, please do; I would like the opportunity to look into this matter more specifically for you. As part of our continual development, these post are shared with all member of the team here and so staff will be made aware of your views. Nevertheless in the meatnime, please accept my apologies for the way you report you were spoken to.

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Reception is an issue here

There are 2 members of reception staff at this surgery who are incredibly rude, have a bad attitude, are unhelpful and I don't know why they work in what should be a caring environment. I can never get an appointment when I need one, I get wrong information from reception, the wrong time slots are given for specific kinds of appointment and that's if I can actually get through on the phone, with waiting times of over 30mins just to get through. And for this reason I would not recommend this surgery. There are other staff who are really helpful and I find all the doctors really helpful and supportive. It's a shame that the inadequacies of these 2 people and an inability to get an appointment really let this surgery down.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 22 May 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 11 September 2014

Please rest assured that I do work with our reception team to embedd the importance of good customer service. We have some new receptionists and the team receive regular training and are monitored on the service they provide. I hope this situation has improved and that your experiences are now much improved. Please do contact me personally however if this is not the case. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Debbie Morris [Practice Business Manager]

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Unreliable, Unprofessional, Rude, Unhelpful.

The receptionists are rude and the doctors are unhelpful. They do not take in consideration your wishes.

I have been left waiting months for my notes and have never recieved a call back as arranged by the doctors.

I would not recommend this surgery.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 25 April 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

We are sorry to read that you have been unhappy with the service received. There is a set procedure for requesting copies of medical notes and the receptionist should have been able to explain this to you; we do have one or two new members of staff soI will speak with the team to ensure that they are all familiar with the process. This procedure is necessary to ensure that we comply wi th Data Protection regulations but effectively, once an access request is received, this procedure is strictly followed and records provided within regulated timescales and so it is a concern to us to hear you have been waiting so long if this procedure has been followed. I would like the opportunity to investigate this for you and would invite you to get in touch with me so that I can make further enquiries into your individual case.

With regard to your comments regarding rudeness etc, all staff are expected to treat patients and vistors in a respectful, polite and dignified manner and certainly if there is any evidence of this not happening, we would want the opportunity to look into it for you and so would appreciate you letting us know the exact detail of this.

We are sorry if you have been promised a call from a doctor that has not materialised. Telephone appointments are booked onto a Doctors screen in exactly the same way as face-to-face appointments . Without the details, I cannot be sure, but it is possible that a Doctor has tried to call back and not been able to get through; this is perfectly traceable and so if you let me have your personal details, I will be able to look on your record to try and understand why this call did not happen. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

ROB WOTTON gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

My person knowledge of this Surgery Holdenhurst Road

i have relied on Holdenhurst Road Surgery now for treatment regarding an ankle injury
My treatment and support especially from the Nurses has been superb.
Always welcomed with a smile and first class treatment
I have been with this Surgery for a good number of years now and it is probably one of my better decisions
From the Reception staff through to any of the Doctors always I have enjoyed first class treatment and courtesy.
this is certainly the best GP s Surgery I have ever encountered and am pleased to be able to report as such

Rob wotton

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 09 March 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments which I know will be well received by all who work at the practice. It is quite rare for people to give positive feedback via this website and so we thank you for taking time out of your day to do so. We all work hard to offer the best possible service and care that we can, often in challenging and demanding circumstances; it is very rewarding to hear that we suceeding in our effort. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

Steve gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Good receptionist bad doctor

To be fair I have only been to this surgery myself on one occasion. My wife has also only been once. The receptionist was nice enough, didn't seem aloof or condescending and knew their job. Once I got an appointment (had to wait 2 weeks) the doctor didn't seem to care infact theyseemed more worried about his own cold than my cough, kept telling me they were not concerned about my cough although I have had it for years. They did in the end agree to a chest x ray but we will register elsewhere before continuing treatment.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 20 March 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

We are sorry that you were unhappy when you visited the surgery recently. We are of course pleased that you found our receptionists helpful, I will feecback your comment to the team. We have discussed this at our clinical meeting and your comment had been shared with that team; we would like to apologise if you felt the Doctor was unsympathetic. We have an excellent team of Doctors here at the surgery and this is certainly not representative of the majority of feedback we receive. We would be very happy to look into this matter for you individually if you would like to make contact with us. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager