Holdenhurst Road Practice

Telephone: 01202 587111
Address: 199 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH8 8DE
Website: http://www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

It is difficult to understand all the negative comments.

I have absolute confidence in the surgery and all it's staff.
I have been present when the occasional patient abuses the receptionists, uncalled for in any circumstances. The receptionists manage difficult patients with the utmost courtesy, and i have never heard anything but politeness from all of the staff, unfortunately i cannot say the same for some of the patients.
Except for the delays sometimes in answering telephone calls ( I will be absolutely honest). unsurprising, considering the amount of patients you have.
The doctors & nurses are also first class, and do consider myself and my wife lucky to have registered with this surgery.
Thank you all, and may you continue to give excellent service to your patients, a five star service in every aspect.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 11 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 12 October 2014

It is extremely uplifting to read your comments; thank you for taking the time to leave your views on this website. My heart usually sinks when I receive and email to say a comment has been left as so very often and as I have mentioned in previous posts, it is a sad fact of life that this website is mostly used by thoe wishing to leave negativite comments. The very positive feedback we often get from our patients comes via our patient surveys and in cards, letters and comments made directly to the surgery.

As the Manager of the surgery, I know how very committed each and every member of staff is and how very hard they all work to offer excellent service. As you correctly identify, this can sometimes be under really challenging circumstances and particularly for our reception team who are in the front line. Holdenhurst Road is a very busy surgery; testament its overall popularity and the excellent service that we do offer. I do apologise if we are still not managing to pick up calls as quickly as you would like. I regularly review telephone calls both in and out and try to adjust staffing levels to deal with current demand; it is not an easy balance particularly with more and more patients wanting increased telephone access to Doctors and Nurses. Add in that we are working from challlenging premises without any additional spce for more staff and the reality of occassional unexpected absence; I hope you can appreciate how it hard it can be. I fully appreciate we do not always get it right but I would like to reassure you that we will continue to do our best to improve on this aspect of service as we know that it is important to you. On the whole, we do feel that our patients are very considerate to the demands of a busy surgery and that they are both appreciative and grateful for the high levels of service we endeavour to offer; there is nothing quite as rewarding however as when a patient takes the time to tell you that, particularly publicly!!! Once again, thank you for taking time out to leave this comment.

Awful!!!!!

Worst drs surgery ever!!! Takes 40 minutes to get through by phone, waiting over an hour for every appointment, to then find the receptionists booked your appointment with a Dr that cant do it even though you clearly specified what needed doing!! Would not recommend surgery!!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 12 October 2014

I am sorry to read your comment and apologise if a mistake was made when booking your appointment. If you waited 40 mins for the call to be answered then I would agree that this is unacceptable; I am aware that at very busy times there can be some delay but I have not been made aware of it taking this long. If you could tell me what time of day you called and the number you called from, I can check this on the computerised telephone system for you and take the matter up with the staff concerned. With regard to the procedure apparently being booked with the wrong doctor, again, it is hard to comment or look into this for you without more information. The staff in reception have a list of procedures and details of which procesures doctors can and cannot undertake. I would apologise once more if an error was made but can assure you that if it was it would have been a genuine human error and is not something that I have known happen before. Unortunately, as I was not informed about these problems at the time and without additional information it is impossible to comment further; if you would like to contact me personally, I would be more than happy to look into the matter for you.

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 3 stars

Brilliant GPs let down by rude, unprofessional receptionists

Very disappointed to have to leave this review as all the gps I've seen at this practice have been excellent, spending as much time as necessary on appointments and genuinely caring (one was close to tears talking to me once and said how worried they had been!). Sadly, they are let down badly by rude, unprofessional, ignorant reception staff. When being asked why i wanted to have a phone appointment today and giving the reason as a tooth infection (yes, normally dealt with by a dentist but as mine is due to awaiting oral surgery under the care of my gp) i was laughed at and told i must mean a gum infection. Er, no, that was not what i meant. I work in medicine, so i know what I'm talking about especially when it comes to my own health. I then said, as i always do, that i am usually on phone at work so if i don't answer straight away to call back. I was then lectured that they can't spend all day calling people who don't answer their phones. I'm especially offended by this attitude as i work on a medical helpline and if i spoke to my patients in this manner i would be severely reprimanded. Complaint to practice management is in the works - which will include praise of the wonderful gps I've seen and how disappointing it is that their ignorant and offensive reception staff seem determined to get a patients back up before they even speak to a doctor.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 11 September 2014

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Doctors, we are sorry that you have not felt happy with the service received from the receptionist. As the Manager at Holdenhurst Road, for our patients I believe we should be providing not only excellent clinical care but also excellent customer service. I had not responded until now as I understood you would be contacting me directly; unfortunately I have not yet received anything from you but if you still feel you wish to contact me, please do; I would like the opportunity to look into this matter more specifically for you. As part of our continual development, these post are shared with all member of the team here and so staff will be made aware of your views. Nevertheless in the meatnime, please accept my apologies for the way you report you were spoken to.

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Reception is an issue here

There are 2 members of reception staff at this surgery who are incredibly rude, have a bad attitude, are unhelpful and I don't know why they work in what should be a caring environment. I can never get an appointment when I need one, I get wrong information from reception, the wrong time slots are given for specific kinds of appointment and that's if I can actually get through on the phone, with waiting times of over 30mins just to get through. And for this reason I would not recommend this surgery. There are other staff who are really helpful and I find all the doctors really helpful and supportive. It's a shame that the inadequacies of these 2 people and an inability to get an appointment really let this surgery down.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 22 May 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 11 September 2014

Please rest assured that I do work with our reception team to embedd the importance of good customer service. We have some new receptionists and the team receive regular training and are monitored on the service they provide. I hope this situation has improved and that your experiences are now much improved. Please do contact me personally however if this is not the case. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Debbie Morris [Practice Business Manager]

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Unreliable, Unprofessional, Rude, Unhelpful.

The receptionists are rude and the doctors are unhelpful. They do not take in consideration your wishes.

I have been left waiting months for my notes and have never recieved a call back as arranged by the doctors.

I would not recommend this surgery.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 25 April 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

We are sorry to read that you have been unhappy with the service received. There is a set procedure for requesting copies of medical notes and the receptionist should have been able to explain this to you; we do have one or two new members of staff soI will speak with the team to ensure that they are all familiar with the process. This procedure is necessary to ensure that we comply wi th Data Protection regulations but effectively, once an access request is received, this procedure is strictly followed and records provided within regulated timescales and so it is a concern to us to hear you have been waiting so long if this procedure has been followed. I would like the opportunity to investigate this for you and would invite you to get in touch with me so that I can make further enquiries into your individual case.

With regard to your comments regarding rudeness etc, all staff are expected to treat patients and vistors in a respectful, polite and dignified manner and certainly if there is any evidence of this not happening, we would want the opportunity to look into it for you and so would appreciate you letting us know the exact detail of this.

We are sorry if you have been promised a call from a doctor that has not materialised. Telephone appointments are booked onto a Doctors screen in exactly the same way as face-to-face appointments . Without the details, I cannot be sure, but it is possible that a Doctor has tried to call back and not been able to get through; this is perfectly traceable and so if you let me have your personal details, I will be able to look on your record to try and understand why this call did not happen. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

ROB WOTTON gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

My person knowledge of this Surgery Holdenhurst Road

i have relied on Holdenhurst Road Surgery now for treatment regarding an ankle injury
My treatment and support especially from the Nurses has been superb.
Always welcomed with a smile and first class treatment
I have been with this Surgery for a good number of years now and it is probably one of my better decisions
From the Reception staff through to any of the Doctors always I have enjoyed first class treatment and courtesy.
this is certainly the best GP s Surgery I have ever encountered and am pleased to be able to report as such

Rob wotton

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 09 March 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments which I know will be well received by all who work at the practice. It is quite rare for people to give positive feedback via this website and so we thank you for taking time out of your day to do so. We all work hard to offer the best possible service and care that we can, often in challenging and demanding circumstances; it is very rewarding to hear that we suceeding in our effort. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

Steve gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Good receptionist bad doctor

To be fair I have only been to this surgery myself on one occasion. My wife has also only been once. The receptionist was nice enough, didn't seem aloof or condescending and knew their job. Once I got an appointment (had to wait 2 weeks) the doctor didn't seem to care infact theyseemed more worried about his own cold than my cough, kept telling me they were not concerned about my cough although I have had it for years. They did in the end agree to a chest x ray but we will register elsewhere before continuing treatment.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 20 March 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

We are sorry that you were unhappy when you visited the surgery recently. We are of course pleased that you found our receptionists helpful, I will feecback your comment to the team. We have discussed this at our clinical meeting and your comment had been shared with that team; we would like to apologise if you felt the Doctor was unsympathetic. We have an excellent team of Doctors here at the surgery and this is certainly not representative of the majority of feedback we receive. We would be very happy to look into this matter for you individually if you would like to make contact with us. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

Efficient

I've always found it easy to get an appointment, have been dealt with in an efficient and courteous manor, and have had my health problems helped.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 30 September 2013

Holdenhurst Road Practice has not yet replied.

Totally disgraced - as a GP receptionist myself - appalled

I cannot describe how disgusted I am with the treatment I have received as a patient at this practice.

I have been a GP receptionist myself for 7 years and believe that the receptionists you employ have no idea how to do their job or display respect, dignity or empathy for patients.

I have three occasions to describe where I was poorly managed by your reception team.

1) A GP at the practice I work in advised me that they thought I had a chest infection and that I should visit my own GP - on telephoning the surgery and explaining my problem - I was asked for my symptoms and subsequently triaged by a completely untrained person. They asked me if I was "coughing up green sputum" and when I answered rarely they advised me that they did not think I had a chest infection. This is most shocking, never ever should a receptionist triage the situation - totally disgusted. I hung up the phone and suffered through my infection alone - which took much longer to clear up than I'm sure it would if I received antibiotics.

2) I had injured my toenail and most of it came off, the skin underneath was raw and very sore - I telephoned the surgery and asked the receptionist if the nurse could have a look and dress it for me - I even mentioned that I didn't necessarily need it that day. The phone went silent for about 30 seconds and in the most patronising tone the receptionist proceeded to say "I just don't understand what you think it is a nurse could do for you", I explained to which I was told that there was no appointments anyway. Once again I hung up and the nurses at work kindly dressed it for me.

3) Finally, I telephoned for a completely routine appointment and was happy to wait a few weeks to see a doctor, I had a date in mind as I was off work, and as it was so far in advance, felt confident I could see someone. The receptionist found me an appointment. It was two weeks away, and asked me "whats the appointment for?" - disgraceful! Why would a receptionist - whose business it is not, unless in urgent situations- ask the reason for a routine appointment. This time I expressed my disgust and informed the receptionist that as my position as a GP receptionist I wouldn't dare ask for a reason for a routine appointment. I did not tell the receptionist my reasoning. 5 minutes later I get a voicemail explaining that my appointment had to be moved (even though I told the receptionist I needed that day specifically, as I was working all others) to the next day. I cancelled all appointments.

As you can imagine from the previous comments on here, you need to seriously look at the method you use approaching patient care, it is totally off line.

The sad thing is, the doctors are absolutely fantastic. I think they are very thorough and caring and empathetic. The problem is your reception staff prevent people from seeing them.

I will be moving surgeries very shortly. I'm sorry to be so harsh sounding, but I am really appalled.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 18 September 2013

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 18 September 2013

I am very sorry to read your comment above and apologise that you feel you have not had a good experience. From what you say above, it does look as though things have gone wrong but without knowing when this happened it is difficult to look into it in any more detail for you; if you wish to call me and let me know when these incidents took place, I would be happy to do that for you. If there are training issues, then I am more than happy to pick those up. Please be assured that receptionists are not advised to 'triage' patients; they simply do their best to get a brief understanding of a problem so that they can ensure they are offering the most appropriate appointment e.g. tel advice, urgent or routine appointment, doctor, nurse etc. This is fully explained in our practice leaflet and is done to try and help; we are very sorry you did not feel this was appropriate. Please be assured that if a patient needs an appointment on the day, they will be given one. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this situation with you as what you are describing above is not the 'normal' feedback I get. I accept that things can go wrong sometimes and if they have in this instance, then I am more than happy to work with the staff and patients to put them right. With regard to the other comments on this website; unfortunately, as with other surgeries, this site tends to be used for sharing negative comments/feedback; sadly people rarely use it to give us positive feedback. As a receptionist yourself, you will know that this tends instead to come directly to the surgery in the form of boxes of chocolates, biscuits, cards etc. So whilst completely respecting and acknowledging your comments; I do not feel this website gives a fair reflection of what our patients think. I would be really pleased if you would accept my invitation to contact me in confidence to discuss this further. Debbie Morris, Practice Manager.

Rude Reception staff

I required an emergency appointment and after the phone ringing for approximately 8 minutes a member of reception picked up. I understand if they are busy but the receptionist didn't even ask my name and told me that the only appointment I could have was in 12 days time! I informed them that I required an emergency appointment and they asked what it was for. As I was at work I did not want to disclose as it was very personal, they started huffing and puffing down the phone and then I got passed to another member of staff who wasn't much more help. I managed to get a duty doctor to call me 3 days later and still no appointment.
I shall have to live in limbo until i get an appointment or go elsewhere. Its a shame as my doctor is actually were helpful!

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 19 January 2013

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 21 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we are extremely sorry that you have had a poor experience. The phones should be answered promptly [we strive to answer within 5 rings]. Staff do try their best to do so but it can sometimes be difficult when all lines are very busy and/or there are many patients at the front desk; thank you for your understanding in this respect. I am not sure why you were told you would have to wait 12 days for an appointment as this is not correct. We always have appointments available on the day and in usually also within 2, 3 and 4 days. Reception staff are trained to ask patients for a 'brief' description of a problem purely so that appointments can be appropriately managed: For example, sometimes a problem can be dealt with by a nurse or by a doctor over the phone; if staff can obtain a brief idea of the reason; they have a wider choice of appointment and times to offer. Please be assured that if, as you have explained, the problem is ofr a personal nature then please say so and staff will not insist, this information is only asked where a patient is happy to give it, it is helpful to us but not mandatory. I have taken your comments seriously and will speak with the team about the points you have made. Under no circumstances should you experience huffing and puffing nor should you have to wait 3 days for a call - the duty doctor will ALWAYS call a patient on the same day and if the doctor feels you need to be seen, they will bring you in for an appointment. Once again, I am very sorry our system seems to have failed you on this ocassion. I hope this will be a one-off but please do not hesitate to contact me [Practice Manager] personally should you ever have a similar experience. You feedback is both helpful and important to us - we want your experience to be a positive one and we only know we are getting it wrong if you tell us, thank you again.