Holdenhurst Road Practice

Telephone: 01202 587111
Address: 199 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH8 8DE
Website: http://www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Reception is an issue here

There are 2 members of reception staff at this surgery who are incredibly rude, have a bad attitude, are unhelpful and I don't know why they work in what should be a caring environment. I can never get an appointment when I need one, I get wrong information from reception, the wrong time slots are given for specific kinds of appointment and that's if I can actually get through on the phone, with waiting times of over 30mins just to get through. And for this reason I would not recommend this surgery. There are other staff who are really helpful and I find all the doctors really helpful and supportive. It's a shame that the inadequacies of these 2 people and an inability to get an appointment really let this surgery down.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 22 May 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Unreliable, Unprofessional, Rude, Unhelpful.

The receptionists are rude and the doctors are unhelpful. They do not take in consideration your wishes.

I have been left waiting months for my notes and have never recieved a call back as arranged by the doctors.

I would not recommend this surgery.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 25 April 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

We are sorry to read that you have been unhappy with the service received. There is a set procedure for requesting copies of medical notes and the receptionist should have been able to explain this to you; we do have one or two new members of staff soI will speak with the team to ensure that they are all familiar with the process. This procedure is necessary to ensure that we comply wi th Data Protection regulations but effectively, once an access request is received, this procedure is strictly followed and records provided within regulated timescales and so it is a concern to us to hear you have been waiting so long if this procedure has been followed. I would like the opportunity to investigate this for you and would invite you to get in touch with me so that I can make further enquiries into your individual case.

With regard to your comments regarding rudeness etc, all staff are expected to treat patients and vistors in a respectful, polite and dignified manner and certainly if there is any evidence of this not happening, we would want the opportunity to look into it for you and so would appreciate you letting us know the exact detail of this.

We are sorry if you have been promised a call from a doctor that has not materialised. Telephone appointments are booked onto a Doctors screen in exactly the same way as face-to-face appointments . Without the details, I cannot be sure, but it is possible that a Doctor has tried to call back and not been able to get through; this is perfectly traceable and so if you let me have your personal details, I will be able to look on your record to try and understand why this call did not happen. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

Steve gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Good receptionist bad doctor

To be fair I have only been to this surgery myself on one occasion. My wife has also only been once. The receptionist was nice enough, didn't seem aloof or condescending and knew their job. Once I got an appointment (had to wait 2 weeks) the doctor didn't seem to care infact theyseemed more worried about his own cold than my cough, kept telling me they were not concerned about my cough although I have had it for years. They did in the end agree to a chest x ray but we will register elsewhere before continuing treatment.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 20 March 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

We are sorry that you were unhappy when you visited the surgery recently. We are of course pleased that you found our receptionists helpful, I will feecback your comment to the team. We have discussed this at our clinical meeting and your comment had been shared with that team; we would like to apologise if you felt the Doctor was unsympathetic. We have an excellent team of Doctors here at the surgery and this is certainly not representative of the majority of feedback we receive. We would be very happy to look into this matter for you individually if you would like to make contact with us. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

ROB WOTTON gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

My person knowledge of this Surgery Holdenhurst Road

i have relied on Holdenhurst Road Surgery now for treatment regarding an ankle injury
My treatment and support especially from the Nurses has been superb.
Always welcomed with a smile and first class treatment
I have been with this Surgery for a good number of years now and it is probably one of my better decisions
From the Reception staff through to any of the Doctors always I have enjoyed first class treatment and courtesy.
this is certainly the best GP s Surgery I have ever encountered and am pleased to be able to report as such

Rob wotton

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 09 March 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 08 May 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments which I know will be well received by all who work at the practice. It is quite rare for people to give positive feedback via this website and so we thank you for taking time out of your day to do so. We all work hard to offer the best possible service and care that we can, often in challenging and demanding circumstances; it is very rewarding to hear that we suceeding in our effort. Debbie Morris - Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

Efficient

I've always found it easy to get an appointment, have been dealt with in an efficient and courteous manor, and have had my health problems helped.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 30 September 2013

Holdenhurst Road Practice has not yet replied.

Totally disgraced - as a GP receptionist myself - appalled

I cannot describe how disgusted I am with the treatment I have received as a patient at this practice.

I have been a GP receptionist myself for 7 years and believe that the receptionists you employ have no idea how to do their job or display respect, dignity or empathy for patients.

I have three occasions to describe where I was poorly managed by your reception team.

1) A GP at the practice I work in advised me that they thought I had a chest infection and that I should visit my own GP - on telephoning the surgery and explaining my problem - I was asked for my symptoms and subsequently triaged by a completely untrained person. They asked me if I was "coughing up green sputum" and when I answered rarely they advised me that they did not think I had a chest infection. This is most shocking, never ever should a receptionist triage the situation - totally disgusted. I hung up the phone and suffered through my infection alone - which took much longer to clear up than I'm sure it would if I received antibiotics.

2) I had injured my toenail and most of it came off, the skin underneath was raw and very sore - I telephoned the surgery and asked the receptionist if the nurse could have a look and dress it for me - I even mentioned that I didn't necessarily need it that day. The phone went silent for about 30 seconds and in the most patronising tone the receptionist proceeded to say "I just don't understand what you think it is a nurse could do for you", I explained to which I was told that there was no appointments anyway. Once again I hung up and the nurses at work kindly dressed it for me.

3) Finally, I telephoned for a completely routine appointment and was happy to wait a few weeks to see a doctor, I had a date in mind as I was off work, and as it was so far in advance, felt confident I could see someone. The receptionist found me an appointment. It was two weeks away, and asked me "whats the appointment for?" - disgraceful! Why would a receptionist - whose business it is not, unless in urgent situations- ask the reason for a routine appointment. This time I expressed my disgust and informed the receptionist that as my position as a GP receptionist I wouldn't dare ask for a reason for a routine appointment. I did not tell the receptionist my reasoning. 5 minutes later I get a voicemail explaining that my appointment had to be moved (even though I told the receptionist I needed that day specifically, as I was working all others) to the next day. I cancelled all appointments.

As you can imagine from the previous comments on here, you need to seriously look at the method you use approaching patient care, it is totally off line.

The sad thing is, the doctors are absolutely fantastic. I think they are very thorough and caring and empathetic. The problem is your reception staff prevent people from seeing them.

I will be moving surgeries very shortly. I'm sorry to be so harsh sounding, but I am really appalled.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 18 September 2013

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 18 September 2013

I am very sorry to read your comment above and apologise that you feel you have not had a good experience. From what you say above, it does look as though things have gone wrong but without knowing when this happened it is difficult to look into it in any more detail for you; if you wish to call me and let me know when these incidents took place, I would be happy to do that for you. If there are training issues, then I am more than happy to pick those up. Please be assured that receptionists are not advised to 'triage' patients; they simply do their best to get a brief understanding of a problem so that they can ensure they are offering the most appropriate appointment e.g. tel advice, urgent or routine appointment, doctor, nurse etc. This is fully explained in our practice leaflet and is done to try and help; we are very sorry you did not feel this was appropriate. Please be assured that if a patient needs an appointment on the day, they will be given one. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this situation with you as what you are describing above is not the 'normal' feedback I get. I accept that things can go wrong sometimes and if they have in this instance, then I am more than happy to work with the staff and patients to put them right. With regard to the other comments on this website; unfortunately, as with other surgeries, this site tends to be used for sharing negative comments/feedback; sadly people rarely use it to give us positive feedback. As a receptionist yourself, you will know that this tends instead to come directly to the surgery in the form of boxes of chocolates, biscuits, cards etc. So whilst completely respecting and acknowledging your comments; I do not feel this website gives a fair reflection of what our patients think. I would be really pleased if you would accept my invitation to contact me in confidence to discuss this further. Debbie Morris, Practice Manager.

Rude Reception staff

I required an emergency appointment and after the phone ringing for approximately 8 minutes a member of reception picked up. I understand if they are busy but the receptionist didn't even ask my name and told me that the only appointment I could have was in 12 days time! I informed them that I required an emergency appointment and they asked what it was for. As I was at work I did not want to disclose as it was very personal, they started huffing and puffing down the phone and then I got passed to another member of staff who wasn't much more help. I managed to get a duty doctor to call me 3 days later and still no appointment.
I shall have to live in limbo until i get an appointment or go elsewhere. Its a shame as my doctor is actually were helpful!

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 19 January 2013

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 21 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we are extremely sorry that you have had a poor experience. The phones should be answered promptly [we strive to answer within 5 rings]. Staff do try their best to do so but it can sometimes be difficult when all lines are very busy and/or there are many patients at the front desk; thank you for your understanding in this respect. I am not sure why you were told you would have to wait 12 days for an appointment as this is not correct. We always have appointments available on the day and in usually also within 2, 3 and 4 days. Reception staff are trained to ask patients for a 'brief' description of a problem purely so that appointments can be appropriately managed: For example, sometimes a problem can be dealt with by a nurse or by a doctor over the phone; if staff can obtain a brief idea of the reason; they have a wider choice of appointment and times to offer. Please be assured that if, as you have explained, the problem is ofr a personal nature then please say so and staff will not insist, this information is only asked where a patient is happy to give it, it is helpful to us but not mandatory. I have taken your comments seriously and will speak with the team about the points you have made. Under no circumstances should you experience huffing and puffing nor should you have to wait 3 days for a call - the duty doctor will ALWAYS call a patient on the same day and if the doctor feels you need to be seen, they will bring you in for an appointment. Once again, I am very sorry our system seems to have failed you on this ocassion. I hope this will be a one-off but please do not hesitate to contact me [Practice Manager] personally should you ever have a similar experience. You feedback is both helpful and important to us - we want your experience to be a positive one and we only know we are getting it wrong if you tell us, thank you again.

Sammysmart did not recommend Holdenhurst Road Practice

Taxpayers deserve better.

Not much

What could have been improved

My husband and I have just changed surgery after over 60 years at this practice and do hope the new one will be much better. We waited nearly an hour for a flu jab appointment recently and during the wait were horrified at the way things had gone downhill. The receptionists were often abrupt and rude to patients asking ' what 's wrong with you? " in front of an entire waiting room accompanied by a lot of sighs and eye brow raising. People were obviously not able to get appointments easily most being told the wait would be over a week , with little sign of apology or understanding. Some in the waiting room had been there more than an hour. The waiting room was untidy, the floor covered in toys the benches in old magazines. When we eventually did get to see the nurse I was told I was not eligible despite having had the flu jab previous years and despite an appointment having been made specifically for this purpose. We decided to change as if we were really feeling ill we would not want to be treated this unfriendly and uncaring way.

Any other comments

This surgery needs to put patients first and offer a much better environment and welcome. I would never have thought about changing my doctors until the last two visits fortunately we hardly ever visit the doctor but expect to be treated with respect by those in the front line. Before changing we visited two other surgeries and were treated in a much more friendly way elsewhere.

Visited in November 2012. Posted on 08 November 2012

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 09 November 2012

We have read your comment and take your points seriously - we are really very sorry you have chosen to leave the Practice; I wish you had come and spoken with me about your experience first as I would have liked to have had the opportunity to try and resolve matters for you and re-build your confidence in us. I will of course share your views with our reception team and work with them to ensure that our patient's perception of them is a positive one; I know they will all be really disappointed to think they have been perceived in this way.

I also apologise if you found the waiting room untidy; we do have signs up asking parents to tidy toys away after their children have played with them and our receptionist do try and pop out to the waiting rooms periodically to clear up generally. Sometimes though, if we have lots of patients requiring the services of the reception team either at the desk or on the phones they may have to prioritise things differently now and again

I apologise for the delay you experienced only then to be told you were not eligible for the flu vaccination and we accept that this was an error on our part. This can unfortunately sometimes happen when a patient receives a vaccination one year but then does not fit the eligibility criteria in a subsequent year; we do have a responsibility to ensure that vacinations are only offered via the NHS to those patients who fit the Government profile for eligibility. We acknowledge that this has been a problem for a few patients this year and so we have changed our processes to ensure that our receptionists can easily check eligibility at the time of booking so patient's will not be inconvenienced like this in the future.

Once again, we are very sorry that you have chosen to leave the Holdenhurst Road Surgery.

Anonymous did not recommend Holdenhurst Road Practice

degrading and would never go to this practice again.

nothing !!!

What could have been improved

staff training as receptionist was extremelly rude and offensive towards new patients , i would never reccomend this practice as the practice is very unfair,would never use this doctors practice again.

Any other comments

would highly reccomend to stay well clear of this practice.

Visited in July 2012. Posted on 03 October 2012

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 03 October 2012

We have noted your comment and are extremely sorry that you feel you have had a poor experience; we take this seriously.

I would urge you to contact the surgery and ask to speak with me [Practice Manager] personally and in confidence. Your comment is of great concern to us and we would want to do all that we can to deal with the specific issues you experienced. In order for us to do this, we do need you to make contact and give us further information.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you are feeling. Debbie Morris [Practice Manager]

Anonymous did not recommend Holdenhurst Road Practice

horrid

What I liked

I had one good experience when I managed to get an appointment within the week I asked! Reception staff have been polite, although can give a bit of a grilling.
With all the problems with actually booking appointments to see doctors.. I have started just using the "phone appointment" thing, where the Doctor calls you.

What could have been improved

The doctors I have seen have been rude or dismissive about my symptoms. I have been often given pain medication and then just told it'l go away and not no bother them. One occasion was so bad I was sent to A&E from work and then a month later I got a letter from the surgery asking why I hadn't gone to the GP as my problem was one they could have sorted out. (I also couldn't get an appointment within 2 weeks, and could I call at 8:00am to try? (I can't as I'm always commuting at this time).
I have had a problem the doctors have been dismissing for a year and now finally I am on their waiting list for minor surgery...that was 7-8 weeks ago I think now.

Any other comments

I am fed up of being treated as if what I say is either wrong, a nuisance or that I'm being stupid. I now just don't want to talk to the doctors about anything. I am nervous person and now I feel worse about myself for being ill.

I will definately be moving GP Surgery and hoping that I can find somewhere where the GP's care a little more.

Visited in February 2012. Posted on 19 April 2012

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 03 October 2012

Dear patient - if you haven't moved surgery, we hope you will reconsider. We know we don't we don't get it right all of the time and we value your feedback; it is very important to us and helps us to improve.

Please rest assured that we are regularly reviewing our processes and make any improvements we can on the basis of the comments we receive. If you want to contact me personally and in confidence with further details of your experienceI would be more than happy to investigate it specifically. Debbie Morris [Practice Manager]