Holdenhurst Road Practice

01202 587111 199 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth , Dorset, BH8 8DE

Anh Tuan Hoang gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 4 stars

Excellent service.

The only problem I got is that I have to wait a few days for my appointment. The staff were friendly and very nice. As an foreigner, I can see and feel their enthusiasm every time I come here. I definitely will recommend this surgery for all of my acquaintances in case they have any health problems. Once again, I want to express my special thanks to staff and doctors there.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Practice manager never available always in a meeting or busy

I have tried to complain after several visits to the practice on Holdenhurst Road where I find the reception staff nothing but helpful and professional.
However I feel the structure of this practice is leaving behind the professional staff who I feel are at the blunt end of a badly managed practice.
This I say, I have a long term health condition which II will not discuss on a mere compliant form.
I do hope the entire structure of this practice is reviewed as we (my wife & I) have witnessed absolutely appalling behaviour by te managerial staff.
For one I would and will recommend the Doctors staff and front reception as a matter of professionalism.

Yours sincerely,
Unhappy Patient.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 14 January 2016

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 15 January 2016

I am sorry you feel that I am not offering a good service and am unavailable; this is not intended. As the Manager of a Practice with 10,300 patients, many Doctors and over 20 staff, I am often in meetings or busy and am generally unable to meet with patients without advance notification. As you correctly identify, the reception team do their best to be helpful and they do advise me when a patient indicates that they are unhappy, gives negative feedback or when someone has asked to speak with me; I am unaware of any recent or past request that I have not dealt with. If this has been missed, then I offer my sincere apologies and would invite you to leave a note at reception and I will call you back. Please rest assured that there is no intention for you to have to explain and complex issues in a letter. I hope you will feel you can get in touch so that we can try to resolve these problems for you. Debbie Morris - Practice Business Manager

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

Make sure it's a doctor you're happy with.

Been with them a couple years. Had a few bad experiences but waded through a couple bad drs and met a doctor who is lovely and was very helpful. I now see a doctor and have done for just over a year, who is so friendly and seems to genuinely care. The doctor never let's me leave without answers, even it takes longer than the usual appointment time

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 14 December 2015

Meg Watton gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

Lovely, lovely people

I always have fantastic service from the surgery. The recptionists couldn't be kinder or more helpful and all of the doctors are fantastic. Not quite sure why others have a problem, because I can't speak highly enough, they are amazing, considering that they are always rushed off their feet and have to cope with some pretty poor treatment from some of the patients. Yes you have to wait sometimes, but how lucky are we to have free medical care and well qualified doctors to look after us. Perhaps we all need to put ourselves in the shoes of others as theirs isn't an easy job and we are all only human after all. Thank you all, keep up the good work

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 07 September 2015

Susan.willis gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

3 week waiting for an appointment

I tried to get an appointment today phone at 8am okay not an urgent issue .offered an appointment for Monday but that was the only day I could not do so next available appointment was 1st October.I was told that more appointment maybe come available if I kept phoneing from day today.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 09 September 2015

the Long Wait

4 weeks for an appointment is beyond belief and yet they still are taking on clients

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 17 September 2015

No interest in patients

I wanted to book an appointment as a new patient and not that I wasn't even asked what is that I was concern with just that I will have wait 3 weeks!!! My boyfriend wanted to see someone and he tried every day, he wanted to talk about his depression and every day they told him its fully booked. Really???

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 07 September 2015

kerri Kirkham gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

poor

I have been a patient of this surgery for 15 years and during the last 3 years I have had a dreadful time trying to book appointments. Firstly, no one ever seems to answer the phone. There was an occasion when I was on the phone for 43 mins with no answer. I ended up having to walk round to the surgery after just having an operation to be able to speak with someone. Some of the receptionists are very abrupt and lack compassion. I managed to get an emergency appointment yesterday after suffering some kind of reaction to my eyes. I had an appointment booked for 12pm. I arrived at the surgery at 11.50 and was told there was a slight delay as the Doctor was slightly behind schedule. I said that was fine and that I could wait for up to an hour but needed to collect my daughter from nursery by 1pm. I waited until 12.50pm but had to leave without being seen. They offered to rebook me for 2 weeks time despite the fact that I was suffering from an allergic reaction which needed treatment.
I called again today to be told that no one can see me unless I'm under 5 years old or am having breathing problems. I am in alot of discomfort. My eyes are bleeding because they are so irritated but no one at that surgery seems to care. I feel they are very unhelpful and have been extremely negligent. I certainly would not recommend them. Looks like I'm having an evening at A and E

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 15 July 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 16 July 2015

I am really sorry you feel you have had a bad experience. We have spoken on the phone since this post and I hope you feel that we have resolved your issues to your full satisfaction. For clarity, in the circumstances you explained to me, I agree that you should have been offered an appointment on the day and I arrange this for you yesterday. In respect of your perception of receptionists attitudes, I will speak to the team as whole and now that you have helped to identify the individual, I will give her further training and guidance; I feel sure that there was no intention to make you feel this way and so chatting this through with this new member of staff will, I hope, help her to appreciate how some comments can be perceived. I have taken your comments on board in respect of answering the phones - this is something we continually monitor and do our best to address; despite increased staff levels and additional phone lines, demand continues to grow exponentially and so on occasions, this can still be extremely difficult to achieve but I can assure you we will continue to do our best. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you wish to make contact with me. In the meantime, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience – Debbie Morris – Practice Business Manager

Terrible

I called the surgery this morning at 8.a.m (the surgery opening time) for a telephone appointment only to be told there were no appointments available until next Monday (today is Wednesday). I was under the impression that GP surgeries are supposed to allocate appointments daily on a first come first served basis - as has been the case in the past. I stated to the receptionist (who appeared very blase about the situation) that I would phone again tomorrow morning - believing that others had perhaps managed to call before me today and there were no more appointments left - only for them to repeat that there were no more appointments available until the following Monday. I would class my need as a semi emergency (I would imagine an 'emergency' to be respiratory problems, bleeding and so on) for which I need swift treatment but is non life threatening.

This is appalling! As a result of this (and other issues) I shall be moving to another local surgery forthwith. This is totally unacceptable in my opinion. A GP surgery should have appointment slots available daily - either telephone or in-person appointments.

This is the latest in a long line of problems I have had with this surgery, including antiquated systems in place, denial of treatment requested, repeat prescriptions not being available when requested and so on. The whole set up at the surgery falls below the standards that patients should expect when registering with a GP. This surgery is by far the worst I have been registered with.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 10 June 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 16 June 2015

My apologies for the delay in responding, I have been on leave returning only yesterday. We are very sorry that you were unhappy with the service you received. I have now had the opportunity to look into this matter for you by reviewing all calls coming into the surgery on the morning in question. I have been able to determine that a call was answered at 08:01 and the receptionist offered a telephone consultation with the GP and advised that the GP calls the patient in if they feel they need to be seen. I can also see that in this instance, a Doctor called back at 08:36 and after discussing the symptoms, arranged a face-to-face appointment at 12:00 the same day. As is demonstrated here, there are always emergency appointments available and a patient will always be offered an appointment or telephone call with a Doctor on the same day if they have an immediately necessary or urgent problem. Any reference to there being no appointments until Monday would have been in relation to routine, non-urgent appointments. I am sorry you felt the receptionist was blasé, I will speak with the team about this at our next meeting.

You have indicated that you wish to change surgery which we appreciate is your right but is not what we want you to do. I am sure you will already be aware that the NHS is experiencing unprecedented demand and General Practice is unfortunately no exception to this phenomenon. I regularly discuss this with my colleagues in other practices and I am reassured that we are no different at Holdenhurst Road than any other surgery and that there simply is no perfect system that meets the needs and wants of all. You mention other issues you have had with the surgery of which I am unaware but I would be more than happy to discuss these with you is you would like to get in touch with me directly.

I would like to assure you that we are a very caring organisation and we do our absolute best to meet the needs of all our patients. Unfortunately we do not consider this website to be a true reflection of what our patients or monitoring organisations such as CQC really think. More information is available on our website www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk which includes our recent patient survey and CQC pilot inspection report.

Thank You – Debbie Morris – Practice Business Manager

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Terrible experience with a minor in need of care

NHS (111) sent me to Holdenhurst Road Surgery on June 24, 2015 because a student of mine had a problem with his eyes. The waiting room was almost empty, but the receptionist refused to let us see a nurse because the student's family lived in a different part of town.
I had an NHS clinician on the phone, but both the management and the receptionist refused to talk to them ("NHS can call us if they want to speak to us.") and sent us away.
The way that this receptionist and the management denied care to a minor is a disgrace. They were unfriendly and rude and did not care at all. We ended up at the Bornemouth Hospital Emergency room.
Stay away from this surgery if you can!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 June 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 02 July 2015

Thank you for telling us about the problem you experienced when coming to the surgery. The information given by NHS111 was incorrect in this instance and I have spoken to them about this. The Practice will of course see any patient if they have a condition requiring immediately necessary treatment but that was not the case in this instance. Otherwise patients are entitled to register as Temporary Patients at a practice of their choice that is within the catchment area of the place that they are resident; this would be why our receptionist directed you back to the minor's host family. I am sorry you felt that I would not speak with 111 - at the time you had one of their call handlers [who are not clinicians] on your phone, I was unfortunately engaged in another matter and could not come downstairs to speak with them - the message I sent down was that I would be happy to speak with them if they would like to call back and I did in fact, call them myself as soon as I was free. Whilst we appreciate that some of the rules/systems that are put in place may not be popular with everyone, many of them are not of our making and are there to ensure a safe and fair spread of patient care is available to all. We are sorry the system did not meet your requirements on this occassion. Debbie Morris - Practice Business Manager