Holdenhurst Road Practice

Address: 199 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH8 8DE
Website: http://www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk/

Louise401 reviewed Holdenhurst Road Practice

My advice - go elsewhere

Firstly, its impossble to get an appointment, 3-4 weeks wait to see your doctor in some cases. Emergency appointments? Forget it - unless you have 'breathing difficulties or chest pain' (in the words of the receptionist) which is ridiculous as this is what the A&E service is for!

Secondly, when you finally get to see a doctor, most of them are rude and dismissive - apart from one who is great, however they only works part time.

The waiting area is filthy and shabby and the way that the seating is laid out means that waiting patients are facing the reception desk and everything can be heard - no privacy whatsoever.

The receptionsits, well the least said the better. All in all I would advise anyone thinking of joining this surgery - Avoid.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 15 March 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 18 March 2015

I am sorry to hear that you do not seem to like anything about the Holdenhurst Road Surgery and thank you for taking the time to share your views with us; I apologise if there has been some mis-communication in this instance. I am more than happy to discuss this with you individually if you would like to contact me directly but in the meantime, I will do my best to give a more general response. We do appreciate that if you are asking to see a particular Doctor then there are occasions when delays are inevitable. As you have noted, some Doctors are part-time and take that factor together with the forthcoming holiday season, they may well also be about to take some much deserved annual leave and so this will unfortunately create longer waiting times for a particular Doctor. I would like to reassure you that there are always emergency appointments available and a patient will always be offered an appointment or telephone call with a Doctor on the same day, if they have an immediately necessary or urgent problem; this is not exclusively for chest-pain or breathing problems. I am both sorry and surprised to hear that you feel the Doctors are ‘rude and dismissive’; as previously mentioned if you would like to give me some specific information regarding this I would be happy to investigate it further for you. The Practice has high cleaning standards but with the heavy foot-fall through the surgery, marks on the carpet are inevitable. The carpets, furniture and walls are regularly cleaned but unfortunately some marks [such as ingrained chewing gum] simply do not lift despite our very best efforts. We are sorry you feel there is no privacy as we do make every effort to offer patients privacy; this includes a barrier to keep other patients back from the desk and signs offering a quiet place to talk if a patient feels they need this. Our receptionists work extremely hard and often under difficult and challenging circumstances; it is sad to say that whilst many of our patients are most kind and polite, this cannot be said for all and the receptionist can often be on the receiving end of some extremely unpleasant and unnecessary behaviour. We are a very caring organisation and we do our absolute best to meet the needs of our patients. Unfortunately this website is not a true reflection of what our patients or monitoring organisations such as CQC really think. More information is available on our website www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk which includes our recent patient survey and CQC pilot inspection report. Thank You – Debbie Morris – Practice Business Manager

M. H. gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Not impressed

I called on a Tuesday morning and spent many minutes holding for someone to answer my call. Then when I did speak to a receptionist I was informed that the next available appointment would be 2 weeks away. I asked about emergency (same day) appoitments and was informed that I didn't quality, as was the case with a telephone appointment.

When I visited the doctor I had to wait over half an hour to be seen, and spent literally 2 minutes with the doctor who was very dismissive of my symptoms (in fact I intend to get a second opinion since the symptoms could be something serious).

I am not at all impressed with this surgery and will be looking elsewhere to find an alternative. I really do feel that on the whole (doctors and reception staff) treat patients with indifference, which I finid disturbing, since this is peoples' health they are dealing with.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 16 March 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 18 March 2015

I am sorry you had a bad experience when you contacted the surgery. We do try our best to answers the phones quickly but if we are particularly busy or unexpectedly short-staffed, this can sometimes take a little longer that we would like. My apologies, we will try to improve this for you. If you would like to contact me directly, I would be happy to look into this more specifically for you as some of the information you seem to have been given is not quite correct. I would like to reassure you that there are always emergency appointments available and a patient will always be offered an appointment or telephone call with a Doctor on the same day, if they have an immediately necessary or urgent problem without further information regarding the precise detail of your call, it is hard to explain why you may have been left feeling that there was nothing we could offer. We are very sorry that you have been left feeling dissatisfied; I would like to assure you that we are a very caring organisation and we do our absolute best to meet the needs of our patients. Unfortunately we do not consider this website to be a true reflection of what our patients or monitoring organisations such as CQC really think. More information is available on our website www.holdenhurstsurgery.co.uk which includes our recent patient survey and CQC pilot inspection report. Thank You – Debbie Morris – Practice Business Manager

Dreadful

Firstly, I have to say that I really don't like leaving negative reviews - I very rarely do so and only when I feel it's warranted.. In this instance I feel I have to let people know how utterly dreadful this surgery is so that others are aware of the issues if they are considering joining this surgery.

I wholeheartedly agree with other comments in that the appointments system is ueseless. Having to wait weeks to see a doctor is very poor indeed, as is the attitude of sfaff - including most of the medical staff I regret to say. Being met with abruptness and indifference is not something that patients should accept or expect. If this was a private company I would ask for a refund, however because it's free it seems perfectly acceptable to treat patients in this manner?

I saw a doctor (finally after having to wait 2 weeks) and was told to 'come back if the problem persists' - unbelievable! After having to plead for an x-ray appointment which was finally offered, I found that the form contained a request to x-ray a different area than where I had the problem. I did not waste my time going to the hospital for an x-ray as no irregularities would be found.

Re the attitude of doctors: We are no longer living in the Victorian era where doctors were the educated elite and patients were uneducated and not medically aware. With 21st century technology we are now aware of our bodies and can research medical conditions to seek out possible diagnoses prior to making an appointment with the doctor. This doesn't of course substitute years of medical training and I am not suggesting it does, but when a patient (who knows their own body) is stating that something is wrong, it should be taken seriously - we should not expect to be fobbed off especially as so much knowledge is widely available.

I have decided to join an alternative local surgery.

Holdenhurst Road Surgery - please get your act together.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 25 March 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice has not yet replied.

Useless surgery

Generally, when people are ill they call up and want an appointment; they don't plan to be ill two weeks in advance! I cannot understand how I am always offered an appointment that is so far away. There is a strong mix of doctors at this place too, being extremely good and sympathetic while one is extremely patronising and uncaring.

Today, I will be finding another GP.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 25 February 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 25 February 2015

We are genuinely sorry that you are unhappy with the Surgery. Two-week waits are for routine appointments to deal with ongoing, chronic or non-acute medical conditions, they are not intended to address acute/immediate needs. If you have a more urgent problem or need to be seen or to speak with a Doctor on the same day, then this can be arranged for you. The strong mix of doctors we hope most patients will find to be a good thing. We have 7 GPs working at the surgery and as your rightly identify, all have different ways of working and approaches. A style that suits one person will not necessarily suit another and so every patient is welcome [and encouraged] to see their preferred GP[s]. If there is one that does not suit your particular style then please ask the receptionist to book with a different doctor and this can almost always [excluding some urgent/same day appointments] be accomodated.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this individual situation with you personally and in confidence. Please feel free to call me directly. Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. Debbie Morris - Practice Business Manager

Jane Johnson gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 4 stars

Communication

I came last month for an extra blood test, I saw a nurse who neither acknowledged me when I said good morning nor did they give me any kind of eye contact at all. I found them extremely rude. Fortunately I am not frightened of needles and it was done very quickly but other people are not like that.
There is no excuse for rudeness in this day and age.
It does not cost anything to be polite and courtious.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 02 March 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 18 March 2015

I am sorry that you felt that one of our nursing team was rude. If you could contact me and give me some more details, I would be more than happy to feed this back to the individual as part of their individual learning. I am confident that the nursing staff we have would be very sorry to think this is the way one of them has been perceived and I will of course feed back to the team as a whole so that they are aaware of the way you felt. I hope you will take with good faith that I am sure this was unitentional. Please accept our apologies.

rudeness in abundance

Where do I start. Needed an appointment for my 4 year old son due to a bad cough was told rudely on the phone unless it was an emergency the next appointment wasn't for another 2 weeks so I stated I thought it was serious enough to warrant an appointment sooner than that. I told the receptionist my son was at school and was promptly told it's not an emergency if he's well enough for school. I was offered a telephone appointment which to be fair was not good enough how could the doctor hear my sons cough talking to me. I accepted and spoke to a very caring doctor who put my mind at ease and told me to call back for an appointment if it didn't ease in the next few days. He would be seen straight away. It didn't ease so I called back and was told next appointment in 2 weeks I explained I'd already spoken to a doctor and the doctor said to call back and get an appointment straight away. Was again rudely spoken to and told a doctor wouldn't say that. I hung up and decided to take my son straight over in the hope of getting am appointment. When I got there I was again rudely told no appointments but to go home and call the surgery and they would get a doctor to call me back and they would decide if he needed to be seen straight away. What an absolute joke my son at this point was coughing badly in the surgery to the point a little old lady got up and said to the receptionist he can have my appointment to which the receptionist replied no he can't. Fortunately at this point the doctor who I had spoken with previously on the phone came out and took the receptionist aside obviously telling them to book my son in. High five to the doctor. Obviously the receptionist wasn't happy they had their judgement overruled and said just go and sit down. My son was seen within 15 minutes and given antibiotics for a chest infection. These receptionists need more training in people skills I appreciate it is very hard to get appointments these days be I sympathize with the doctors but come on a small cough in a young child can turn into something nasty very quickly. On another point you have a notice up saying our phone calls to you are very important why then have I just sat for 11 minutes listening to the ring tone with no pick up. Would it not make more sense in such a busy surgery to have a rota for the receptionists where they just answer the phone not book people in then answering the phone if they have a spare minute. Just a thought.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 16 February 2015

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 17 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to enter your response and I am sorry you felt we had let you down in this instance. You raise several points which we have take seriously and I would like to discuss with you to obtain more detail. If you would be kind enough to contact me in confidence it would enable me to review the timing of these events and as necessary ensure that the appropriate member [s] of staff receives the guidance they need. Please call Debbie Morris on 01202 587111

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 5 stars

It is difficult to understand all the negative comments.

I have absolute confidence in the surgery and all it's staff.
I have been present when the occasional patient abuses the receptionists, uncalled for in any circumstances. The receptionists manage difficult patients with the utmost courtesy, and i have never heard anything but politeness from all of the staff, unfortunately i cannot say the same for some of the patients.
Except for the delays sometimes in answering telephone calls ( I will be absolutely honest). unsurprising, considering the amount of patients you have.
The doctors & nurses are also first class, and do consider myself and my wife lucky to have registered with this surgery.
Thank you all, and may you continue to give excellent service to your patients, a five star service in every aspect.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 11 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 12 October 2014

It is extremely uplifting to read your comments; thank you for taking the time to leave your views on this website. My heart usually sinks when I receive and email to say a comment has been left as so very often and as I have mentioned in previous posts, it is a sad fact of life that this website is mostly used by thoe wishing to leave negativite comments. The very positive feedback we often get from our patients comes via our patient surveys and in cards, letters and comments made directly to the surgery.

As the Manager of the surgery, I know how very committed each and every member of staff is and how very hard they all work to offer excellent service. As you correctly identify, this can sometimes be under really challenging circumstances and particularly for our reception team who are in the front line. Holdenhurst Road is a very busy surgery; testament its overall popularity and the excellent service that we do offer. I do apologise if we are still not managing to pick up calls as quickly as you would like. I regularly review telephone calls both in and out and try to adjust staffing levels to deal with current demand; it is not an easy balance particularly with more and more patients wanting increased telephone access to Doctors and Nurses. Add in that we are working from challlenging premises without any additional spce for more staff and the reality of occassional unexpected absence; I hope you can appreciate how it hard it can be. I fully appreciate we do not always get it right but I would like to reassure you that we will continue to do our best to improve on this aspect of service as we know that it is important to you. On the whole, we do feel that our patients are very considerate to the demands of a busy surgery and that they are both appreciative and grateful for the high levels of service we endeavour to offer; there is nothing quite as rewarding however as when a patient takes the time to tell you that, particularly publicly!!! Once again, thank you for taking time out to leave this comment.

Mr king gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

the poor standands

this gp service is poor and best and im speaking from experience the doctors palm u off when there unsure and them telling u whats wrong or getting to the cause of ur health issue take so long

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 28 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 17 February 2015

We are very sorry you were unhappy with the service you received. Some conditions can be difficult to diagnose and it can take longer in certain circumstances particularly where there are a number of potential complaints that it could be. In situations like this, the doctors follow recommended pathways to order tests etc. It is difficult to make any further comment without additional information but if you would like to contact me, I would be very happy to look into it for you and take a second clinical opinion.

Awful!!!!!

Worst drs surgery ever!!! Takes 40 minutes to get through by phone, waiting over an hour for every appointment, to then find the receptionists booked your appointment with a Dr that cant do it even though you clearly specified what needed doing!! Would not recommend surgery!!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 12 October 2014

I am sorry to read your comment and apologise if a mistake was made when booking your appointment. If you waited 40 mins for the call to be answered then I would agree that this is unacceptable; I am aware that at very busy times there can be some delay but I have not been made aware of it taking this long. If you could tell me what time of day you called and the number you called from, I can check this on the computerised telephone system for you and take the matter up with the staff concerned. With regard to the procedure apparently being booked with the wrong doctor, again, it is hard to comment or look into this for you without more information. The staff in reception have a list of procedures and details of which procesures doctors can and cannot undertake. I would apologise once more if an error was made but can assure you that if it was it would have been a genuine human error and is not something that I have known happen before. Unortunately, as I was not informed about these problems at the time and without additional information it is impossible to comment further; if you would like to contact me personally, I would be more than happy to look into the matter for you.

Anonymous gave Holdenhurst Road Practice a rating of 3 stars

Brilliant GPs let down by rude, unprofessional receptionists

Very disappointed to have to leave this review as all the gps I've seen at this practice have been excellent, spending as much time as necessary on appointments and genuinely caring (one was close to tears talking to me once and said how worried they had been!). Sadly, they are let down badly by rude, unprofessional, ignorant reception staff. When being asked why i wanted to have a phone appointment today and giving the reason as a tooth infection (yes, normally dealt with by a dentist but as mine is due to awaiting oral surgery under the care of my gp) i was laughed at and told i must mean a gum infection. Er, no, that was not what i meant. I work in medicine, so i know what I'm talking about especially when it comes to my own health. I then said, as i always do, that i am usually on phone at work so if i don't answer straight away to call back. I was then lectured that they can't spend all day calling people who don't answer their phones. I'm especially offended by this attitude as i work on a medical helpline and if i spoke to my patients in this manner i would be severely reprimanded. Complaint to practice management is in the works - which will include praise of the wonderful gps I've seen and how disappointing it is that their ignorant and offensive reception staff seem determined to get a patients back up before they even speak to a doctor.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

Holdenhurst Road Practice replied on 11 September 2014

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Doctors, we are sorry that you have not felt happy with the service received from the receptionist. As the Manager at Holdenhurst Road, for our patients I believe we should be providing not only excellent clinical care but also excellent customer service. I had not responded until now as I understood you would be contacting me directly; unfortunately I have not yet received anything from you but if you still feel you wish to contact me, please do; I would like the opportunity to look into this matter more specifically for you. As part of our continual development, these post are shared with all member of the team here and so staff will be made aware of your views. Nevertheless in the meatnime, please accept my apologies for the way you report you were spoken to.