Torridon Road Medical Practice

Telephone: 020 8698 5281
Address: 80 Torridon Road, London, London, SE6 1RB
Website: http://www.torridonroadsurgery.co.uk/

169 calls to book appointment and 40 minutes

tried to call today to book appointment after 40 mins and 169 calls i did get someone to answer .
Went to my appointment and saw a locom who did not seem very interested in what was wrong with me and could not even tell me what was wrong with me!
Went home and was advised to ask to see another doctor but I would have to go through the whole thing again in the morning!
Or I could be seen in 2 weeks if I wanted to make an appointment!
I have be at this surgery for 20years the staff on reception are helpful but it's so busy I don't think they can cope was in there the week before to pick up s prescription one member of staff on the desk and 8 people waiting in front of me and no one open the other windows to help !
This surgery needs help in a big way

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 July 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice has not yet replied.

Not happy at all

When I moved to the area just over a year ago, the vendor I bought the house from suggested not using Torridon Road, and finding a different GP.
Unfortunately I ignored this advice, but will now be looking elsewhere.

I have no problem with the majority of the reception staff, or booking appointments, and the nurse is brilliant. But the GPs have no time to listen to you at all, (I know this is not just their fault, but their time limits). I find they are quick to prescribe things unnecessarily. For example I was concerned about my daughter's breathing, and thought she may have asthma. I left it a long time, but thought I should see a GP for some support. They suggested it may be mild asthma, and that they could prescribe an inhaler. I was quick to say I did not want my child to have the inhaler unnecessarily, but was sad to see that the doctor was ready to prescribe it.
I mentioned I was feeling quite depressed, but this was just brushed off, which I feel is not helpful.

The final straw is that I am due to fly on Sunday, and my son had chicken pox last week, I was informed I needed a letter to fly. I went to the surgery, and ordered this letter, the receptionist was very helpful. It could take 3-4 weeks later, but they said they would push it through.
I received a call today from a rude member of staff, who was extremely unhelpful, who stated as my son had not seen a GP, that they could not do the letter.
I stated the advice on the NHS website is to keep away from the GP, unless it is severe as it is a minor illness, and extremely contagious. It it well known and can be seen on the NHS website, it cannot be contagious after 6 days after the last spot. A fortnight is enough time for this to not be contagious. My son clearly had chicken pox when we went to the surgery.
I was hopeful, perhaps naively, that common sense would be used, and it could be calculated from when I asked for the letter until the date I was due to fly.
The staff member I spoke to was concerned I had not booked an appointment to see the GP with my son, which I presumed would be seen to be being helpful, as I did not waste a doctors appointment with a needless appointment, and bring a contagious illness to the surgery for a length of time.
I am really disappointed in the surgery, and will hold them accountable if we are unable to fly on Sunday due to their lack of communication.

I will now be changing my GP practice for myself and my family.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 09 June 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice has not yet replied.

Piotr gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Impresive standards of care

I really value Torridon Road Practice, when very recently I had to book an urgent appointment for my 6 year old daughter the staff on reception were very understanding and tried their best to accommodate us. I managed to get my child seen by the doctor in as little as 40min! The doctor carried out the examination and kept me informed throughout the whole procedure providing a detailed explanation of a diagnosis. We left the practice impressed by the excellent standards of care received.
Thank you!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 26 June 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 09 July 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am happy you have had a positive experience at our surgery, as our aim is to provide the best service possible. Your feedback will be passed onto the Practice team, who will greatly appreciate it.

We thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

Anonymous gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

come back in 2 weeks

is your arm falling off, wait for 2 weeks and see how it goes. Dr had the tongue sticks on his desk amongst his car keys. Saw a locum who refused to examine my new born as he wasn't on the system yet. They always have locums at this surgery, you will be lucky to ever see the same Dr twice. Receptions staff are nice. Recently had it confirmed by another health professional that they moved from this surgery due to the poor care

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 21 March 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 22 June 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am saddened to hear that you are not happy with our surgery.

We have four permanent doctors at the surgery; two male, two female. From time-to-time our doctors are on leave, or are busy with other duties in which they are unable to do surgery. We therefore employ locums to cover doctors when our regular doctors are not available or when the demand is high.

I would like to invite you to join our Patient Participation Group (PPG), where it is possible to work within a group to give suggestions on how the practice can provide a better service.

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, if you have any more questions please call me on: 020 8698 5281.

Anonymous gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

Used to be 2nd to none, now day very poor.

Trying to get through in the morning to make an appointment is almost impossible. It is not unusual for me to have called up to 70 times before getting through. The reception staff in general are okay, however, when you are waiting for an hour after the booked appointment time you would imagine that someone would speak to you and explain why you are waiting so long. When I pointed this out to the staff I was greeted with a blank stare and told i would need to speak to the practice Manager. How can this be acceptable, why is my time not important at all to them. If I were 10 minutes late for an appointment then I possibly would not be seen. There is rarely more than one window open although there are two. You can always see staff chatting in the background, even when the phone is ringing off the hook. Bad management is a certainty here coupled with too many patients perhaps? It really is such a shame to see what was such a good practice operating in this way.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 22 June 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with our appointment system.

We have been improving our appointment systems by hiring additional staff and improving our calling systems. Two windows in reception are open when the surgery is busy; this allows the patients to be dealt with quickly and efficiently as possible.

Please be aware our reception staff are discussing work related tasks, whilst during other duties in reception. I am sorry if this has been interpreted as anything else. I have already discussed your feedback with our staff, and have retrained all of them to deal with patient care.
I’m sorry if you have waited that long for your appointment, as it is not acceptable. As emergencies do come up, which doctors have to deal with as priority.

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, if you have any further questions or feedback you would like to provide, please call me on: 020 8698 5281.

rachel70 gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

telephone access

I am the mother of 4 and 5 year olds. I try not to take them to the GP unless I am overly concerned about my son's asthma condition or believe that they may need antibiotics to treat an infection.
I find it almost impossible to obtain a same day appointment if I contact the surgery by telephone. This has actually resulted in my having to take my son to Lewisham Hospital A and E as I was so concerned at my son's symptoms.
When I need to make an urgent appointment, I try calling from 1 minute before 8:00 am and find that the phone is continually engaged until I eventually get through to a reception staff to be told there are no more appointments for that day.
Today, after 35 minutes of repeatedly calling the surgery every few minutes, I actually took my daughter to the surgery arriving there at 8:45am. I was able to make an appointment immediately for 11:am.
These failures to get through on the telephone are very serious to me and should be addressed as urgent by the practice management.
I complained via email to the surgery about this issue approximately 5 days ago and have not received a response about this to date.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 22 June 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am disappointed to hear you are not happy with our appointment system.

We ask patients to only during the hours of: 8:00am – 8:30am, if they require an urgent same day appointment, however sometimes it is not possible due to the high call volume we receive.

Our telephone appointment system is constantly being reviewed, upon feedback from patients and we have recently implemented changes by hiring more staff and improving the calling system, as we aim to improve the telephone queuing time for our patients.

We acknowledge emails which have received within 3 working days and reply within 10 working days. If you have any further questions and feedback, please contact Raj Baranawal (Practice Manager) on: 020 8698 5281.

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

Appalling telephone service

It would appear that the method of making appointments by telephone at this practice has been abandoned. It is a known fact that it is impossible to get through between 8 and 8.30am but historically, you could guarantee to get through after that. I first noticed something was wrong when it took me 4 DAYS to get a response on the 'results' line. I rang constantly between 10am and 12pm, most of the time I got a busy tone. Then when I did get through to select option 3, I had to endure a recorded message for ages. Even more frustrating was the fact that I could not get through to the main reception either between these times. Unfortunately for me, I fell ill on 18 March and needed to see a GP. I rang repeatedly from 8am to 8.45am with no response. The following day I went up to the surgery at 8.02am to find a short queue of 4 people and 2 receptionists making face to face appointments while the telephone rang constantly, going unanswered. I am at a loss as to how a large medical practice can be inaccessible by telephone and I firmly believe that lives are being put at risk by this dangerous change in policy.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 22 June 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am disappointed to hear you are not happy with our telephone system.

Our Practice has over 10,000 patients registered; unfortunately the lines can be busy from 8:00am - 8:30am, therefore we suggest only whose who require urgent appointments call between these times. We frequently review feedback from our patients, as we aim to provide the best care possible for our patients.

We have recently made changes to our telephone systems, and have also hired additional reception staff to manage our services.

We thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

Alketa gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Poor appointment making system

I have been registered with this GP since 2010. I rarely make appointments with the surgery, but every time I do, the same problems occur.

In order to make an appointment, they say one needs to call in the morning between 7am - 9am. I have never been able to get hold of this surgery during this time. The telephone seems busy (or left opened?!) during the whole 7am-9am. When I get through, it always gets picked up after 9am, I'm told that there are no appointments left for the day. I do not need one for the day. I ask for any day, any time, I need to see the GP. I'm told to ring in the morning only to make an appointment!! It's a vicious circle. I find it next to the impossible to make an appointment.

My last time calling to try and make an appointment was today, 16 Feb 2015. I tried to call from 8am. The noise of a busy telephone is heard the whole time, until 9.01am when I was put on hold. At 9.07am I managed to speak to someone who told me that there were no appointments left for the day. I explained that I must have been if not the first (should have been the first), among the first phone calls as I have rung continuously until the phone got picked up. I was told that there were problems with the phone line (these problems have been occurring every time I call, since 2010).

I was told to call the next morning. I said there were no guarantees that the same thing won't happen and that I needed to see the GP. I was told that the best way was to walk there, make an appointment at the reception by 8.00am , in the hope that there would be availability to be seen by the GP. I have been with two other surgeries before this one. I have never had these problems. At this day and time, with the technology and modern means of communications I truly don't understand how this surgery cannot have a better system to make appointments.

I have no complaints against the specialists/doctors/nurses. I have been satisfied with the health staff. It's just the management of the appointments. I find it next to the impossible to make an appointment with this surgery. Even if you walk there, there are no guarantees that you will manage to book an appointment.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 16 February 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 10 March 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am very disappointed to hear that you are not happy with our appointment system and would like to apologise.

We open our surgery from 8:00am, and therefore the telephone lines also open from 8:00am. We have never asked patients to call from 7:00am. I do apologise for the telephone system, we have recently rectified a problem and now our system is working perfectly.

The demand for same day appointments is high, and we have limited appointments, which we are able to offer each day. These appointment slots are given to patients that have called/attended the practice from 8:00am.

We always request patients not to phone the surgery between 8:00am – 9:00am for any service except appointments and emergencies.
I do agree that we have a very high demand between 8:00am – 8:30am, and I am requesting patients to avoid these times, unless it is necessary.

We have different types of appointments which can be made:

1. Routine appointments – can be made in advance.
2. Urgent appointments – can be booked on the same day for urgent medical problems.
3. Telephone appointments – If you want advice, and if necessary a doctor will call you in the practice and see you.
4. Online appointments – if you registered online, you have the option to book an appointment.

We have opened another telephone line in reception to handle the call demand. However we are reviewing this on an ongoing basis, to ensure we are providing the best service for our patients, and we could like to thank you for your feedback.

However if you would like to discuss this any further, feel free to contact me on: 020 8698 5281.

David John gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Poorly run practice that gives little confidence.

It is extremely difficult to get through and make an appointment. I dialed over 200 times without ever getting through! The reception staff are dissinterested and off hand. The notices anround the waiting area are patronising, unfriendly and almost always expressed in the negative: 'don't' won't' 'never', etc. When I get to see a doctor, I feel that I'm not really listened to and that time is short. The whole experience is poor and needs improving. The responses given by the practice to the many complaints here are aynodine and dissmissive. I have been with this practice for many years and these complaints continue over the years, without any improvement. What does it take to get an improvement? Get your act together now!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 17 February 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 10 March 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am sorry you are not happy with a number of things in our practice. We have a patient participation group, and would like to request you to become a PPG member. Where you will have the opportunity to discuss how the service can be further improved with the patient participation group. If you would like to discuss this any further, feel free to contact me on: 020 8698 5281. Thank you for leaving feedback.

Concerned person gave Torridon Road Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Not happy with the service

You can never get through on the phone and there is always a queue in reception. When you do speak to a docter you are bound to get painkillers for almost everything from foot problems to feeling sick.

I am leaving this GP and wont return any time soon.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 18 February 2015

Torridon Road Medical Practice replied on 10 March 2015

Reply from Practice Manager, Raj Baranawal. I am saddened to hear you are not happy with the service at our practice, and are thinking of leaving us. Our main aim is to provide the best service to our patients.

Our telephone lines are usually busy from 8:00am – 8:30am, and we advise patients to only call within those hours, if they require an appointment or it is an emergency. We have recently added an additional reception telephone line, which will reduce the waiting time for our patients. We are constantly reviewing this on an ongoing basis.

The reception queues vary, depending on the time of day. However the reception staff will try their best to respond to patients quickly as possible, to help reduce the waiting times. Two reception windows are open during these busy periods.

Our doctors have the patient’s best interest in mind; whether it is giving advice or prescribing medication. They aim to resolve the patient’s problem.