Carlton House Surgery

Telephone: 0208 370 4900
Address: Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL
Website: http://www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Appointments at this surgery is a nightmare! They do not let patients know that an appointment has been cancelled by their GP and then when you book an appointment and turn up for it the Receptionist don't know why but someone else is booked in.
Receptionist need to start looking at the slot history they can tell who was booked or not.
With all these mistakes you still don't get given an appointment. What is going on?

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 07 April 2014

Carlton House Surgery has not yet replied.

Poor customer service

Reception staff always rude and never have time for you when you ring. I dread ringing as I always feel like I'm being a pain to them when ringing for the simplest of query.

Poor communication between staff and customer, a simple phone call to update would be sufficient. Told different things when ringing resulting in having to order an emergency repeat prescription due to lack of communication.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 26 March 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 26 March 2014

I'm sorry you feel our staff are "always" rude. I accept our staff are very busy with many queries per hour but we expect them to be courteous and helpful. It would be helpful for us to have some feedback (via our website at www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk) giving details of staff member, times, dates and problem. This website is not really useful for dealing with issues in any meaningful way. With 12,500 patients it is difficult to know what problem you feel that could be dealt with by a phone call to update you (perhaps this is something you could let us know on the website) but we are always willing to take on board suggestions. We do have a suggestions area on the website so perhaps you could let us know there.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Receptionist need to go on customer service training

Doctors are wonderful but front of house staff ie receptionists are not so great. They are rude and obnoxious and I dread going in there because I know I will be spoken to rudely as they treat you like you are too much trouble. They should learn manners and courtesy

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 11 March 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 25 March 2014

I am sorry that you have had this experience with our reception staff. We would hope that our staff would be courteous and helpful to all our patients - and we do get many positive comments about them as well as some negative comments. It would be very helpful if you were able to detail the time of issues that you have with staff as well as the individual staff member and bring this to the attention of our practice manager (via our new website - www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk) as we are constantly trying to improve standards. Specific information is more helpful to us than general comments.
We are pleased that you find the doctors to be good...

Heather gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Patient for 21 years

Excellent GPs. We use as a family. We have always received good advice and been able to make appointments. Toilets should be clean but side issue. Seeing a doctor you have faith in and bring able to make appointments far more important. As a family we always feel safe.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 10 March 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 25 March 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you find the appointment system acceptable and that you find the doctors to be good. We always strive to provide a good service. Thank you for taking the time to give a positive response.
(We will be monitoring the situation with the toilets closely over the next few weeks. They are obviously cleaned daily but we will be monitoring to see what else needs to be done).

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Long term patient

I have been attending Carlton House for 30 years and have always been exceptionally pleased with the quality of Doctors. It makes me feel quite sad reading some of the reviews as yes the surgery does need updating but for me quality of care is far more important. The toilets may be unsatisfactory at times but this is often because of lack of cleanliness and respect shown by members of the public. I have always received excellent care from not only my GP but any other doctor that I have seen. Maybe if patients took note of how many "Did not attends" there are every month they would understand why it is sometimes difficult to get an appointment when they want. So Carlton House keep up the good work .

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 08 March 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 March 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the care you have received from us. We do strive to give good quality to our patients.
We are aware that the building needs updating and we are working towards this. Unfortunately funding in general practice is currently at its lowest level for some years and we are currently unable to afford the work that is needed - but it is something we want to achieve when we can.

Dirty surgery

On a recent visit to the practice it seemed not only dirty but on accessing the patient toilet no paper towels, no toilet roll and electric hand dryer not working.

I also saw a doctor I have not seen before and may have been a locum, very poor consultation and will have to try and remake an appointment - through the terrible appointment system to see my regular doctor. I have not been informed of who will be my new doctor!

Poor surgery

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 19 February 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 19 February 2014

I am sorry you have had a similar problem to our last comment. Our hand dryers are currently working and I am not aware that they have not worked recently - hopefully you informed the reception desk at the time. There are no paper towels in the toilets because of the hand dryers (and because patients have unfortunately flushed them down the toilets previously). I am sorry there was no toilet roll - as mentioned before we would all hope that patients would inform the staff when they finish the toilet roll but unfortunately this does not always happen.
We would love to have specific feedback (in person or via our website www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk) about specific instances where people are unhappy with individual consultations (we have a complaints procedure specifically for this) or the appointments system. We do our best to provide a service that people are happy with. We promise that we will try to give a caring considerate approach to all patients. We cannot promise that every patient will be able to see the doctor of their choice at the time of their choice on the day of their choice but we do do our best. Our new appointment system means that, if you telephone in the morning, you should be offered an appointment that day.

Infection control

This practice does not know the meaning of infection control. Attended practice recently and no toilet roll or hand towels available in patient toilet.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 18 February 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 19 February 2014

Thank you for informing us that there was no toilet paper when you attended recently. There are no hand towels in any of the patient toilets (or staff toilets) because we have functioning hand dryers (air dryers) which are considered much better from an infection control perspective. The toilets are inspected regularly to ensure that our patients have left them in a condition in which they would like to find them. We would hope that patients would inform us when they have finished the last toilet roll so the staff can replace them. Unfortunately we do not have the manpower to inspect toilets after every use. In this case we were obviously not informed and the toilets had not yet been inspected.
In terms of our infection control you may wish to look at the report from CQC (care quality commission) which is published on our new website www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk which was a very positive report.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional service!

I have been a patient at this surgery since I was 8 I am now 34 , I have 2 children one of whom has autism. I have always found the doctors at Carlton house to be very good , they are compassionate and care about the well-being of patients . I have always been seen when I needed to be seen as do my children .doctors are fantastic with my son that has autism as he is unable to communicate what he feels they listen to me when I feel there is something wrong , he feels comfortable with the doctors because they are friendly and make the visit fun for him. I recently had a scare with my 18month old baby I was seen immediately referred for bloods which the amazing doctor pushed through for the next day and to be seen by a paediatrician at hospital all results where back within the next day worked fast and spared my family the awful worry!
Love the surgery very professional amazing doctors would recommend them to my friends and family!
I think patients should use a little more compassion to the efforts and overload that the surgery has to deal with every day . Can't please everyone!

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 29 January 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 19 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience. We know from many face-to-face comments, cards and letters that the vast majority of our patients are happy with the service they receive from us - but few people take the time to access a website to inform others. Thank you for doing so. it makes us feel rewarded for all our hard work and effort.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Excellent GP but service and book process dire

The GP I see is excellent but the service in general is awful.

It was difficult before to get an appointment but now have just been told that the process for booking appointments has changed and now I cannot book an advance appointment with my GP at all.

Apparently the system has changed so that you can't book more than 4 months in advance, even though my GP told me to do so, so now all I can do is ring on the day this time next month.

This is very annoying as I have to work and now there is complete uncertainty as to whether I can even get an appointment that day and what time it will be.

Sort this out please!

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 29 January 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 19 February 2014

We have tried many times over the years to find a booking process that suits everyone. It can't be done. Our current booking process seems to be working better than others we have tried. You CAN book in advance - up to 4 weeks in advance - but these appointments do go very quickly so it is unusual to be able to book between2 days and 3 weeks in advance. Unfortuntely when we had more appointments available for booking in advance many of these appointments were wasted by patients who did not attend. The majority of our appointments now have to be booked on the day and most people seem content with this service. We appreciate that not everyone will be satisfied but we cannot have a booking system that pleases 100% of our patients unfortunately.

Anonymous reviewed Carlton House Surgery

Unavailability of Doctor

I rang to make an appointment in November 2013 and there was not a pre-booked appointment with my GP for almost a month! As my condition was not urgent, I took that appointment. They told me to come back to see them at end of January. I rang last week to make an appointment and was told there are no pre-booked appointments available at all. In other words, if I want to see my GP I have to ring each day to see if any appts available. If not, I have to ring again the next day, and so on. Are GPs so out of touch with ordinary working people that they believe this is acceptable service? The surgery doesnt open until 8.15am so if you work a long way from home, you would obviously be on your way to work at that time. Also, the phones are constantly engaged for hours first thing in the morning. Then if you manage to get through and if there actually is an appointment that day, you then have to request time off work to come all the way back home again to make the appointment! If the appointment is in the morning, you'd have to come home, then go back to work again. if the appointment is in the afternoon, you would not have time to get back to work afterwards! Where on earth is the patient care in that system? Thats if you can even get time off of work to see the GP! At least if you can pre-book, you can make arrangements. Trying to get an appointment could go on for days and days going through the same process to try to see your GP. Its scandalous that the Surgery believe this is acceptable for their patients. Maybe the docgors and practice manager need to spend some time in the real world to see what it is like for most working people at the moment. What chance have you got to actually get to see a doctor when you need to with a system like that! Absolutely appalling.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 24 January 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 19 February 2014

You CAN book an appointment in advance. You can book an appointment up to 4 weeks in advance. the amjoirt of our appointments however are available on the day because this is the system that seems best to fit the needs of the majority of our patients. As I look at the appointment system today there are 53 appointments available to be booked for a doctor in exactly 4 weeks time.
On the day appointments are easy to get - like all practices our phone lines are indeed busy in the mornings but we have 8 phone lines and most days we have already made around 40 or 50 appointments by 8.30 am. It is relatively rare for a patient to telephone in the morning, wanting an appointment that day, and not to be given an appointment.
Our telephone lines open at 8am not 8.15am.
I am sorry that the system is not ideal for you. However, as we have already said, we have spent hours of time and effort trying to sort out appointment systems over the years that suit most people and lead to the fewest numbers of wasted appointments by patients not turning up (this is unfortunately much more common with pre-booked appointments) and this seems to suit the majority of patients the best at the moment.
Also the more flexible patients are able to be in terms of the doctor they are willing to see the easier it is to see a doctor sooner.