Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Carlton House Surgery

Telephone: 0208 370 4900
Address: Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL
Website: http://www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk/

Bob Pite. gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Excellent recent experience

I try not to bother the GP too much but finally had to make an appointment (okay My wife made me). Phoned at 8:30am and got an appointment in a very professional way for a couple of hours later. Doctor very supportive and helpful. Altogether an excellent experience, and we get all this free at the point of delivery.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 12 August 2015

L. Thornton gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Surgery

I'm so pleased to have Carlton House as my surgery, especially when I listen to the trouble my friends and family have with theirs. I have always found the Receptionists to be extremely helpful, patient and respectful, despite doing such a stressful job. I recently witnessed them dealing with a very awkward patient and I was impressed by the way they managed to maintain such professionalism. Certainly more than I could have done! My GP always ensures I understand my treatment plan, and I constantly leave feeling positive and reassured. They've been wonderful with me over an extremely stressful few years. Honestly, I could not wish for a better service.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 21 August 2015

v_lou gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Lovely Receptionist, Lovely Doctors, Lovely Surgery...

I moved to London in February 2015 and up until now have never needed a doctor....Carlton house was the nearest one to me and was so worried about visiting because of the reviews.

However, booking the appointment on Monday, although it took me an hour to get through, I I spoke to a lovely member of staff who helped me fill in a form over the phone and booked me an appointment for that same day.

2 days later, I had to go back for a different issue (not my week for my health unfortunately) and I was treated with the same helpful manner.

Both the Nurse and Doctor that I went to see last week were terrific. Helpful, Friendly, Understanding and Compassionate.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

First class service

The surgery reception area has undertaken a much needed refurbishment although I really feel the receptionists are rather exposed. The practice is very busy and there are usually people at the desk just waiting to book in and I've often seen people refusing to use the booking in system works for me. The staff are always helpful and polite also very welcoming especially a Monday morning when I would imagine this is one of the busiest times. It's always nice to see your that the regular reception staff don't get me wrong the newer ones are very pleasant to but as I'm a regular I always feel happy seeing one of them. Well the nurses are always nice and helpful, always approachable. The new doctors too are as happy as the nurses. My old doctor retired sometime ago and there is now to many to choose from. I've decided to carry on seeing the same one, they take the time to listen very understanding and appreciate that. So Carlrton please carry on your good work I think most of us patients do not realise the hard work you all put in to the surgery run as smoothly as it does.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 19 May 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 02 June 2015

Thank you for your kind words. You are right - it does take a lot of hard work to keep the surgery running smoothly and we are glad you are happy with the service you are receiving.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Feedback

Lets start with the positives, of which there are plenty:
1) They are a lovely bunch who provide a wonderful service! I turned up late to an appointment, and rather than send me away, they asked the Dr if I could still be seen. They do a difficult job, and they do it well!
2) The actual clinicians are incredible. Yes, I'm not particularly picky about who I see, if I'm ill, I'm ill and I'll see whoever is available. This means that I've seen a lot of the clinicians at Carlton House, and they are wonderful. They tell you in detail what your diagnosis is and the reasons behind your illness. They are very clear in what available treatment plans there are, and you always leave feeling reassured.
3) The surgery itself is spick and span. Its very nice and clean, even if there is a less 'homely' touch after their refurbishment.
4) Appointments. Personally, I've never had a problem getting an appointment; you call up at 8:00am, and get an on the day appointment, if you want to pre-book, yes, there is usually a week long wait, but, this is a national average. If they don't have an appointment, they will call you back. Ok, yes, this may be late during the day, but, we as patients, need to realise that the demand on clinicians is enormous.
On to the slightly less positive points:
1) Although I am aware that you do do extended hour clinics- and I appreciate that you're open until 7pm each day, it would be nice if there were more extended hour clinics- maybe close earlier one day of the week and run a clinic on a Saturday morning? I'm not holding my breath for this, because who wants to work Saturdays and, where's the money for it.
2) It would be nice if the Practice Manager was available to talk to on the phone. I understand that they would prefer any comments etc in writing, but, I do believe that if a patient has made the effort to call specifically to speak to the Practice Manager, they should be able to speak to them- even if it is only for a few minutes.
3) Although the responses to the negative feedback on this site have been refreshingly honest, they could be a little more professional. There is no need to yank a tigers tail when it's snarling at you.

To conclude: the surgery offers a good service, they are doing the best they can with the little they have, yes, there is room for improvement, but nowhere/ no body is perfect.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 14 August 2015

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

I have no complaints

I really don't understand the negative reviews, I have been a patient at this surgery for the last 10 years and 99% of the time have been able to get an appointment when I need one and that includes if I am asking for an appointment early morning or late evening and even emergency appointments. I have seen a few different doctors over the years, hardly saw my own, but that did not make any difference to me as I got the help that I needed. All in all a recommended surgery. Everyone stop complaining......

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 13 August 2015

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

glad I have moved

Thankfully I will never have the misfortune of having to return to Carlton house.

The doctors are good but trying to get an appointment is ridiculous. A week is the standard response.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 April 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 30 April 2015

In the current climate with the NHS in the state it is in, a week is a common response for many surgeries. Actually we offer nearly all our appointments the same day as most of our patients now understand so a week would be a very unusual response for us and definitely not the standard response.
All of the doctors at the surgery are working 11-12 hour days. We cannot work any harder than we do. General practice is paid for 2 consultations per patient per year; on average patients attend 5-6 times a year. There is a recruitment crisis because very few doctors want to go into general practice due to the working conditions (very long hours, not particularly good pay despite what you might read in the Daily Mail, falling pay, increased demand etc) - we are fortunate to have a full complement of doctors offering significantly more appointments (to the same number of patients) than we did a few years ago. But the practice earns significantly less money than it did and we cannot afford more doctors, nurses or other staff. If anyone has any great ideas about how to manage demand in this situation we would be happy to hear those suggestions. Most practices are managing by triaging all requests for doctors' appointments (we tried this and it was very unpopular) or by stopping offering appointments at all and expecting patients to turn up and queue (we may have to go down this route). Of course you are welcome to come on this website and moan but it cannot change anything as we are doing absolutely the best we can.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

patient in distress

personally i dont mind seeing any gp but the fact that on the one ocassion i actually need to see my named gp, i am told to wait over 2 weeks or 'ring everyday at 8am for an on the day appointment' is absolutely infuriating. I am unwell and almost at crisis point at present but it does not warrant presenting at the nearest A & E as that would be an inappropriate use of an already overstretched service. Even if there are no appointments available and the surgery is very busy, it would be nice to have a friendly, approachable, compassionate receptionist who doesn't just give automated responses to patients. You need to remember that calling your GP surgery is more than just a telephone call, it's a cry for help from people in various levels of distress. Sad to say after 7 years as a patient, its unfortunate that i've more bad than good experiences. As a suggestion, perhaps investing more in mindfulness/ mental health training, more resources and receptionists with a genuine passion for helping people in need would help improve things. For the record, I'm in tears as I write this

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 27 May 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 02 June 2015

I'm sorry you have been upset by this. It is very difficult for our receptionists to know how to handle these requests as they are occurring several times a day every day and it can be difficult for them to respond with the same level of compassion every time. We have discussed this with them. We no longer run a personal list system as this is impossible in the current political climate where we have to prioritise access over continuity of care. However we do understand that many patients prefer to see a particular doctor. If you were told that you were unable to see that particular doctor then that is because your doctor was either full with other patients, doing management work within the practice or on holiday/study leave. The only reason you would be told that is because there was not an appointment available. We are delighted to have 11 excellent GPs at the practice and any of the GPs are capable of managing a problem if it feels important enough that you cannot wait for your preferred doctor. It would certainly not be warranted to go to A and E when there would have been either an appointment with another doctor or a triage call with the duty doctor who could then arrange an appointment with you if necessary. Investing in more resources would be fantastic - unfortunately with the state of the NHS currently we are unable to invest in anything and are struggling to maintain the service as it stands.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Improving!!

I reviewed this surgery 2 years ago as I was exasperated to say the least. However, I do have to acknowledge the improvements in all areas and I have to say the last few GP's myself or family have seen have been incredibly nice, kind and I was really impressed. Even the reception staff seem a bit nicer and slightly less 'difficult!'!! Keep it up Carlton House!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 24 March 2015

Thank you for making the effort to come back and leave a more positive review. 2 years ago things were very difficult here. They are never going to be easy - general practice is incredibly busy - but we now have a more stable team and hopefully you are seeing the results of that reflected in your experience.

Yve Smith gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful reception staff!

I am so impressed with the reception staff at this surgery, particularly one that I often speak to on the appointments line. They are so kind and helpful always when I ring up about my 90-year-old mother, who is a patient. They always do their very best to see that patients needs are met and is very reassuring and efficient. I know that the receptionists at this surgery, as with any London surgery, are extremely busy, and 'in the front line' so they have a very demanding job, and it is lovely that the staff at Carlton House still maintain very high standards when dealing with their patients. The doctor and ancillary staff are also wonderful. I rate this surgery very highly.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 24 March 2015

Thank you very much. We really appreciate your taking the time to write a positive review. We believe we do a good job and it is lovely to hear that some of our patients (and their relatives) appreciate it!