Carlton House Surgery

Telephone: 0208 370 4900
Address: Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL
Website: http://www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk/

Over 20 years with the doctor

I have received excellent care over the years and have never encountered the problems with reception as have some of your correspondents.

I do agree, however, that the recent appointments system can sometimes be difficult to navigate.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Run by locum doctors providing poor care

This surgery used to be brilliant a couple of years ago. You always got an appointment with your registered doctor.

Now, you can never pre book an appointment with your own doctor, they tell you to call up in the morning of the day you want your appointment at 8am - you are guaranteed not to get through on the phone. When you do, they offer an appointment with a locum doctor.

There is no continuity of care, locum doctor which I took my mum to see today seemed not connected. Gave no confidence to me or my mum. They then forgot to give all the prescriptions so my mum had to send my brother to collect the prescriptions only to find out that a item was left off the prescriptions!!

Extremely stressful as my mother is elderly and my brother and I have to take time off our schedule to take mum to the doctors and this is what we have to deal with.

Why is it that we just simply cannot call up and book an appointment with the Doctor who we registered with. Surely there is a duty of patient and doctor relationship and continuity of care from the same doctor rather than can't be bothered locum doctors.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 10 July 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 14 July 2014

Thank you for your comment. We agree that unfortunately things have changed in many ways in the last couple of years. 2 years ago we had a full complement of doctors offering a full number of appointments for our patients. Unfortunately we have had 4 doctors leave us over the past 3 years and we have not been able to recruit adequate replacements to date. This is not due to lack of effort on our part. There is a national recruitment crisis in general practice because it is chronically underfunded and (despite what people might read in the Daily Mail) is an extremely unattractive place to work at the moment with the workload increasing exponentially and the pay getting worse and worse. We do not choose to use locums to do the work (quite apart from the patient dissatiscfaction they cause us increased workload and also cost us a large amount of money) - but we have had no option unless we are just going to turn around to patients and advise them that there are no appointments available at all.
The GOOD news is that we have recruited 4 new doctors (permanent doctors) who start with us in August and September and we will finally be up to a full complement of doctors again. The next few weeks (July and beginning of August) will not be any better (in fact will be slightly worse) but then we will hopefully return to how things were a few years ago and no longer need locums. We may not be always able to provide appointments with a patient's "registered GP" but should be able to offer continuity of care and service.
It would be good if you were able to come and sign the BMA petition on our front desk awhich is seeking to highlight the recruitment crisis and the funding crisis (today for example 60 practices have announced they will have to close because they can no longer cope; we have had discussions with our MP about whether we can continue in the current climate).
In terms of booking in advance there will be more appointments available in future but these appointments are very often wasted by patients not turning up so we are still planning to offer most appointments on the day. We feel this is better than how most practices are now working where patients have to speak to a nurse or doctor before being offered an appointment. We appreciate that the way we are offering appointments does not suit everyone but this seems to use the time most effectively for most people.
We apologise again for the fact that you feel the service has deteriorated. In many ways we agree with you and are doing our very best to remedy this in a very difficult climate.

Jon Stubbs gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

The most rude and unhelpful recepionist, every time I call!

The GPs and nurses here have always been polite and very efficient (probably due being registered). However the receptionist I sadly always seem speak to is either not taking part in staff training days or is treating people who are either in distress or need a supportive voice in a rude, belittling and extremely unprofessional manner.

When asked if a specific doctor was available "No" was the resounding answer, with no other words of apology were offered. "I'm sorry, no" would seem more appropriate by a front line member of a multi disciplinary team and a suitable alternative offered instead of myself having to finally reinitiate the conversation.

I have on more than one occaision been to the front desk, been treated like I wasn't worth their time and sunsequently asked who I could make an official complaint to. The reply was sadly fashioned to make the practice manager virtually unreachable.

This behaviour is absolutley ridiculous, no wonder A&Es are so busy as I would prefer to visit one than run the gauntlet of seeing/speaking to this person again! It's a shame that someone who is the initial point of contact makes me feel worthless and not going to see my GP

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 18 July 2014

Doug gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Rude, Blunt & Sharp Receptionist & Long Waiting!!

Apart from Some of the reception staff the Dr's are all very nice & helpful.
One thing I Don't like is when you call to make an appointment the receptionist asks why you want to see the Dr... Surely that's confidential between my Dr & I?!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 July 2014

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Surgery fairly good, but appointments system appalling

I have been with this surgery for a couple of years now and except for one incident where I was given what I believe to be misleading medical information, mostly medical care is OK.
The big problem lies with the appt system which favours those who have time at 8am in the morning to sit ages trying to get through to book a same day appt.
I work full time with a demanding job and unless dying can only see the doctor at a certain time on one day, can I ever get this time in advance? No. I get told I have to ring at 8am on the morning I want the appt and 'have a go' at trying to get the appt. At 8am I am trying to ferry children to school and get to work, so when I do manage to get through, 'quelle surprise' no appointments. It favours those who don't work who are able to sit slave like by the phone and ring back for ages.
Its quite quite wrong. People should be allowed to book up in advance, only emergencies should be allowed to push in like this on the day. This ridiculous system led me to have to spend nearly £3000 privately to get seen by Kings Oak to diagnose a problem as I couldnt secure a series of appts at the right time.
Please start letting people book in advance. It is better for planning, and those who cannot work are more likely to be able to come at anytime.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 13 May 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 20 May 2014

I am glad you think the medical care is good here. We hear your problem with the appointments system and do appreciate your frustration. However we have spent hours of time over the last few years trying to sort out an appointments system that works for patients - and the one we currently has is the one that seems to work the best for most people most of the time. We appreciate that it is not perfect - but no system is. We do offer appointments ahead of time. There are usually appointments available within 5-10 working days (although not always) and there are always appointments available 3 or 4 weeks ahead. However these may not be at the "certain time on one day" that you are available and I'm afraid that that is unlikely to be the case. They may also not be with your preferred doctor but again we can not ensure that a patient's favourite doctor is always available at their favourite time to be seen. The more flexible patients are, the more likely they are to be able to be seen at a convenient time.
When we had a system when more appointments could be booked in advance we had large numbers of patients not attend these appointments. With the current ever-increasing workload for GP practices and ever-decreasing resources available to meet the demand, the number of people demanding emergency appointments on the day was becoming unsustainable. We are unlikely to change the current appointment system. You are welcome to see if other local practices are able to offer you what you want although all practices are under the same pressures and are unlikely to offer anything different.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Waiting Times and Complaints Procedure

I booked an appointment for my daughter on Monday of this week. We waited ninety minutes to see a doctor and were given what I believe is completely inappropriate advice. I wanted to fill in a complaint form before leaving but my teenage daughter was too distressed so I took the form home. The completed form was emailed to the surgery on Tuesday morning, I followed up with a phone call 3 hours later as I expected to have received an acknowledgement or have had some contact given the nature of the complaint. It is now Friday and I've still heard nothing back from the surgery.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 23 May 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 14 July 2014

I hope you are now satisfied with the response you've had. Obviously we cannot discuss the details on this forum.

Reception staff are nightmare

The doctors at this surgery are excellent and very caring however the people at reception are one other story. I was subject to racist comment by receptionist and when I asked to speak to the clinic manager I was told somebody will get in touch.it has been 3 weeks and nobody contacted me..need to make an appointment to see my doctor but upset that I might be subject to similar treatment :-(
Reception staff needs serious training.appreciate that they are doing very stressfull job however they should bear in mind that people who request the service are either physicaly or phscologicaly are not well that's why they need service.there is no need for making them more upset. They are the most insensitive people I came across.
If it wasn't for the team of the doctors they have I would definatley change my gp.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 27 April 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 14 July 2014

I am sorry you have had this negative experience. Please use the complaints procedure (either via the website or by phoning the practice manager) to advice us of where and when this comment took place. The practice manager was unaware of your complaint so it was not passed to her. Did you complete a complaints form? (We are unable to pass on verbal complaints). We try hard to make sure all our staff are respectful, helpful and would not tolerate any racist behaviour so we would be grateful if you would follow this up using the appropriate channels.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Appointments at this surgery is a nightmare! They do not let patients know that an appointment has been cancelled by their GP and then when you book an appointment and turn up for it the Receptionist don't know why but someone else is booked in.
Receptionist need to start looking at the slot history they can tell who was booked or not.
With all these mistakes you still don't get given an appointment. What is going on?

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 07 April 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 06 May 2014

I'm sorry you have had a negative experience. Cancelling appointments is something we do very very rarely - usually when a doctor or nurse is unexpectedly unwell and we cannot re-schedule the appointment with another clinician. The receptionists then make every effort to contact a patient to inform them of this change. Sometimes we cannot get hold of patients even though the staff may call them multiple times in the day... Obviously mistakes when booking patients does happen. One of the actions we have taken is to prevent doctors from booking appointments - all patients should now be asked to book appointments through the reception desk which does reduce mistakes. Given that we book over 900 appointments a week our rate of making mistakes is very low (one or two a month) but we strive to improve so, if you want to contact our practice manager with the time and date of the problem you encountered, we will try and work out how to minimise the risk of this happening again in the future.

Justclueless gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Maybe I'm biased but

I've been with this practice ever since I was a young child. As a rule, generally, I'm very healthy, I rarely need to go to the GP. But each time I've been, I've been seen when I needed to be, and aside from one GP who may have been a locum, I've always left feeling very reassured. One doctor in particular is a star! As for booking an appointment, again, I've always gotten one when I needed one urgently. In regards to queries/chasing up results etc, (which is done by the reception staff) I found that the staff were particularly pro-efficient at doing this. Reading all the negative comments left here has surprised me, because going into the surgery, I've never been spoken to rudely; the reception staff have always been courteous.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 03 May 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 06 May 2014

Thank you for your comments. It is always lovely to get positive comments on this forum. We get so many positive comments (to doctors and staff) face to face but this forum is, of course, mainly used by the disgruntled. We understand that - this is an easy place to leave an anonymous comment when someone feels that the service they have received is not adequate - but we also know that that is not a majority opinion. It is therefore reassuring and encouraging to see comments like yours which reassure us that our hard work is noticed and appreciated. I hope you will continue to feel satisfied with the service you receive from us.

Very caring staff

My mother is 88 and in the last couple of years has had a number of health issues. She has had wonderful support from the doctor. Any queries regarding follow up appointments the staff have taken the time to follow up.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 12 May 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 20 May 2014

We are very grateful for your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the trouble to inform us. We like to think we offer an excellent service and we are always glad to know when things have gone well.