Carlton House Surgery

Address: Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL
Website: http://www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

First class service

The surgery reception area has undertaken a much needed refurbishment although I really feel the receptionists are rather exposed. The practice is very busy and there are usually people at the desk just waiting to book in and I've often seen people refusing to use the booking in system works for me. The staff are always helpful and polite also very welcoming especially a Monday morning when I would imagine this is one of the busiest times. It's always nice to see your that the regular reception staff don't get me wrong the newer ones are very pleasant to but as I'm a regular I always feel happy seeing one of them. Well the nurses are always nice and helpful, always approachable. The new doctors too are as happy as the nurses. My old doctor retired sometime ago and there is now to many to choose from. I've decided to carry on seeing the same one, they take the time to listen very understanding and appreciate that. So Carlrton please carry on your good work I think most of us patients do not realise the hard work you all put in to the surgery run as smoothly as it does.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 19 May 2015

Carlton House Surgery has not yet replied.

glad I have moved

Thankfully I will never have the misfortune of having to return to Carlton house.

The doctors are good but trying to get an appointment is ridiculous. A week is the standard response.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 April 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 30 April 2015

In the current climate with the NHS in the state it is in, a week is a common response for many surgeries. Actually we offer nearly all our appointments the same day as most of our patients now understand so a week would be a very unusual response for us and definitely not the standard response.
All of the doctors at the surgery are working 11-12 hour days. We cannot work any harder than we do. General practice is paid for 2 consultations per patient per year; on average patients attend 5-6 times a year. There is a recruitment crisis because very few doctors want to go into general practice due to the working conditions (very long hours, not particularly good pay despite what you might read in the Daily Mail, falling pay, increased demand etc) - we are fortunate to have a full complement of doctors offering significantly more appointments (to the same number of patients) than we did a few years ago. But the practice earns significantly less money than it did and we cannot afford more doctors, nurses or other staff. If anyone has any great ideas about how to manage demand in this situation we would be happy to hear those suggestions. Most practices are managing by triaging all requests for doctors' appointments (we tried this and it was very unpopular) or by stopping offering appointments at all and expecting patients to turn up and queue (we may have to go down this route). Of course you are welcome to come on this website and moan but it cannot change anything as we are doing absolutely the best we can.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Improving!!

I reviewed this surgery 2 years ago as I was exasperated to say the least. However, I do have to acknowledge the improvements in all areas and I have to say the last few GP's myself or family have seen have been incredibly nice, kind and I was really impressed. Even the reception staff seem a bit nicer and slightly less 'difficult!'!! Keep it up Carlton House!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 24 March 2015

Thank you for making the effort to come back and leave a more positive review. 2 years ago things were very difficult here. They are never going to be easy - general practice is incredibly busy - but we now have a more stable team and hopefully you are seeing the results of that reflected in your experience.

Yve Smith gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful reception staff!

I am so impressed with the reception staff at this surgery, particularly one that I often speak to on the appointments line. They are so kind and helpful always when I ring up about my 90-year-old mother, who is a patient. They always do their very best to see that patients needs are met and is very reassuring and efficient. I know that the receptionists at this surgery, as with any London surgery, are extremely busy, and 'in the front line' so they have a very demanding job, and it is lovely that the staff at Carlton House still maintain very high standards when dealing with their patients. The doctor and ancillary staff are also wonderful. I rate this surgery very highly.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 24 March 2015

Thank you very much. We really appreciate your taking the time to write a positive review. We believe we do a good job and it is lovely to hear that some of our patients (and their relatives) appreciate it!

E Dean gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent surgery

So far I have had only positive experiences at the surgery. The newly renovated reception area is clean and bright. It is possible to book a routine appointment with the doctor of your choice as long as you don't leave it to the last minute! Admittedly, it can be difficult to get through on the phone at 8am to book an emergency appointment but I'm not sure I have a better suggestion. I've had no problems with reception and they have dealt with my queries appropriately.

I saw a doctor who I found to be very kind and understanding and their support has been invaluable. Plus I have been seen on time at every appointment!

I would definitely recommend this GP practice - they are doing a brilliant job considering the appalling state of the NHS these days.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 30 April 2015

Thank you for your comments. They are helpful to us and make us feel that our hard work is appreciated.

Really disappointed

I call the GP this morning after a terrible and painful night, looking for an emergency appointment, (8:00am) just to be told that there is no appointments available for the day "But'. The doctor will call me back..... After calling back my self at 11:45am I was told that the Dr will call, I wasn't given time or more information... Over twelve hours of excruciating pain so I decide to phone the GP again at 14:45, to realize that thy only open half day.
I should be told when the doctor will call so at the lis I can take a paint killer o so. Don't leave me with the hope of having a drug soon to calm my rheumatic paint
Thank you so much for the care and respect you Carlton House Surgery.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 26 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 30 April 2015

Unfortunately we cannot give a time for a call as we are so busy we cannot guarantee that time. We shut for half a day, one day a month on the last THursday of the month (except for August and December) because of required local training. Barndoc cover us during this time. I am sure you received a call back when the doctor returned from this half-day teaching and hopefully were satisfied with your response. It is always wise to take painkillers if you are in pain.

Carla gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Happy with Reception staff, Dr's & Nurses

I have always been treated well by all members of staff from Carlton House Surgery. The Reception staff today were brilliant from the first phone call to me going in to collect some forms. They couldn't have been more polite, helpful, respectful, understanding & efficient. New refurbishment looks good also

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 27 February 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 04 March 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are very grateful for your kind words.

Stay away

Nothing much more to say. Discourteous staff, appointments almost never available and zero information on tests. This is from someone who rarely visits the surgery.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 04 March 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 24 March 2015

It is hard to know where to start with this review.

If you ring for test results you will be given test results (assuming they are back from the lab). If you are unhappy with what the reception staff report to you then you can ask to speak to a GP (but the staff only tell patients what they have been advised by a GP). I'm unclear what "zero information" means. If you need clarification you can ask to speak to a GP.

We have hundreds of appointments a week, every single one of which is full, 95% of which are filled that morning. There are lots of appointments available and hundreds of patients a week manage to book them. What you might mean is that appointments with the doctor of your choice are almost never available (which is the case with some of the doctors, some of whom do mainly managerial work and others of whom do many other things such as coil fits or minor surgery which takes them away from routine appointments). Unfortunately we can no longer run a system where you can always see the doctor of your choice. We have tried to make this clear in leaflets and on the website.

It is impossible to offer good accessibility and also to offer continuity. If we offered continuity (is always see the same doctor) we would probably have a waiting time of months for some doctors which is not acceptable. We offer accessibility. Most weeks and most days it is very easy to get an appointment with a health care professional. However you do have to ring in the morning to ensure this.

A very significant number of our appointments are taken up with matters which are not particularly medical and often do not need a doctor at all. If you can suggest a way to manage this we would love to hear it.

As we have repeatedly requested, if our staff are discourteous then please take a name and report them to the practice manager. Otherwise we can do nothing.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding service

I have been a patient at this surgery for 15 years. My daughter has been a patient at this surgery for 3 years. I am very happy with the care provided to us at the surgery.

I have found the medical care provided by the doctors to be outstanding. I am a patient of one GP. They are a very experienced doctor. They are so compassionate and amazingly dedicated to their profession. I have also had very positive experiences with other doctors at the surgery.

I have found the nurses to be real treasures. They have fulfilled their roles with such warmth and humor, that they are a pleasure to see.

With regard to the appointments system, I called the surgery at 840 am today. I was offered an appointment at 1130 am today.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to all at the surgery for doing a difficult job very well.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 26 January 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 02 February 2015

Thank you for your kind words. We do our best to provide an excellent service and are happy that you are pleased. We will pass your comments on to all the staff.

Rude uncaring staff

Ludricous appointment booking system, office staff are rude and uncaring, misinformation given to patients. Never see same doctor twice (unless you want to wait 2 months for an appointment). Have never been seen by a doctor within half hour of actual appointment time, they never apologise for keeping you waiting (have waited for 1.5 hours once without a simple apology). No flexibility whatsoever. Modern technology, initiative and common courtesy has clearly steered clear of this practice, have never experienced the like.
I have quite bad asthma and have never been called in for a review, they give me the same repeat prescription constantly without checking my BP, peak flow or anything - very concerning. No doctor takes responsibility for their patients here.
You have to call them when you need something like a gyno appointment - they don't remind you - how concerning is that for women that don't remember.
My 2 very young children were both give asthma pumps (my son has not got asthma, just had a cough once), but have never been contacted to do an asthma review on either of them - simply terrible.

I have been a patient for 4.5 years and my named Dr I have seen once. I am now looking for a new surgery, a shame as this one is very close to where I live and is very convenient, but I have serious concerns for patient welfare at this practice. I will be moving my entire family away from this practice as soon as I am able to switch to a new one as I simply have no faith in this one.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 21 January 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 02 February 2015

I am sorry that you feel that the appointments' system is ludicrous. Unfortunately we know that one system will not suit everybody - however we feel this system suits the majority of our patients and we have far fewer complaints since starting this system. We accept that it is difficult to see the same doctor all the time - this is the price we have all had to pay for increasing access (a requirement). By increasing access one automatically has to reduce continuity. I am also sorry that you feel our staff are rude; we wpould ask that you give us names and times as we feel that our staff are normally respectful and polite and would like to know when they fall short of this.
In terms of asthma reviews, actually we do do regular reviews on all our patients with chronic conditions (although you are correct - we would not routinely check your BP if you have asthma). However we do expect patients to bear some responsibility for their own health and therefore do expect them to try and remember when their smear is due for example. Likewise we would expect people to come to see us if they feel they need to rather than waiting for us to ask them to see us. (Although we do actually spend thousands of pounds a year on sending written and text reminders to patients). We are not complacent and we are always striving to do better - however we do feel that our patient care is excellent and we are proud of the very good service we offer in extremely difficult circumstances.
I am sure you are right to look for another practice that is more to your liking as all practices are different and another one may offer you more of what you feel you need.