Carlton House Surgery

0208 370 4900 Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road , Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Impossible to get an appointment

I was almost in tears today after trying to get to see a doctor since Thursday! I have tried the early morning phone queue using my landline, my mobile and my husband's mobile. Impossible. I attended the surgery in person twice today to ask for an appointment, first I was told to spend my journey to work Queuing on a phone, then told to queue from 7.30 a.m outside the surgery with still no guarantee of an appointment on that day. I asked about on-line appointments which I had been unsuccessful in accessing.. I had to go home to get my passport as there were appointments available. When I returned I was given further login details. These did not work, neither did my husband's. No one at the practice had the IT skills to fix th problem and allow me access to see appts even though I could see my prescriptions and medical records. I still have no appt and even asked to see a doctor, any doctor in January. This was refused. I will now waste more of my time, and NHS funds by attending A&E. The waiting room was empty of patients with a queue of 8 people and 1 poor reception trying to do her best under great pressure. Where are alll the doctors and patients? Patients probably at home on the end of their unsuccessful phone queue. What's happened at Carlton house? I've been a patient for 35 years and it's never been this bad!! Why aren't any of these reviews being replied to o the replies publshed?

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for your review. I will answer the various points.
1) The reason we have not been replying to the reviews is that we felt our time was better spent trying to do the work at the practice. Time spent replying (this is one of the doctors) means I am not seeing patients, signing prescriptions, looking at results or managing letters. If I give this role to one of my staff members it means they are not printing out prescriptions, answering the phones or doing another of the myriad of tasks they need to do. However if patients would like replies on this website as a priority we can do this.
2) We offer the vast majority of our appointments on the day. We offer some pre-bookable but they go very quickly. We do not offer more pre-bookable appointments because patients do not attend. Many of our pre-bookable appointments are not attended (around 50%) which is a huge waste of time. We understand that booking on the day is not convenient for everyone but unfortunately we feel it offers the best use of our time. Many practices now do not offer ANY appointments at all without the patients speaking to a doctor (this is called "doctor first" triage). When we trialled this (to a lesser extent) we also had a lot of complaints from patients who felt they wanted the ability to book an appointment themselves and who struggled to talk on the phone at work. We can't offer everything that people want. We currently offer more appointments than ever before and have the same number of patients as we have always had. Unfortunately the demand is increasing rapidly and we are not being paid to provide the level of service that people want. The average person in Enfield wants over 7 appointments a year. We are funded for 2.
3) Our appointment books are not open yet for January. This is a problem we are trying to sort out. Unfortunately our staff have been overwhelmed (as often is the case at this time of year) by patients anxious to get their prescriptions etc because of the bank holidays. We will be opening the appointment book for January and you should be able to get an appointment. Failing that, we do have 100+ appointments every day available to be booked on the day.
4) We have always felt that we offer a very good clinical service. We still feel that. We are proud of our excellent doctors and nurses. We are also proud of our reception staff who do a valiant job in very trying times. However we will not compromise on safety - for our patients or ourselves. We will not see so many patients in a day that we are not practicing safely. Therefore if we are overwhelmed with demand we will re-direct people to the urgent care centre (not usually A and E which would be a waste of patients' time). Attending A and E is potentially a waste of NHS funds - however general practice also uses NHS funds and we still estimate that around 50-60% of people who make appointments to see us do not need to see us.
5) I do not know what time of day you attended. However if the waiting room was empty than that will have been between surgeries. The doctors will have been dealing with phone calls, going on home visits, signing prescriptions (hundreds per day, all of which need reviewing to ensure they are safe), responding to correspondence from the hospital (hundreds per day, all of which need reviewing to ensure that any actions are taken) or looking at test results (many hundreds per day, all of which need reviewing and dealing with). The workload is overwhelming. The doctors are working 12+ hours every single day. The royal college of GPs has started a campaign to remind GPs to take a break and visit the bathroom every day because most doctors are working without any break at all.
6) We are trying our very very best. We appreciate our best might not be acceptable in which case you are very welcome to see if another local practice could offer a service that suits you better.

Anonymous reviewed Carlton House Surgery

GP feedback - appointments

I have tried to getting an appoinment early morning phone queues. I attend the surgery ask for appoinment then told to queue from 7:30 am outside the surgery but no guarantee. Tried to get a pre- bookable appoinment but told there were none available however in advance.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 14 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Information misleading & appointments difficult to secure.

My intuition tells me that the doctors at the surgery are competent. However it would be difficult to verify this since it has been a mission to actually get an appointment. The receptionists aren't very good at passing on emails or leaving messages when they have been asked by the doctor to contact you. It's also difficult understanding the policies of the the practice because each receptionist says something different. Furthermore, the argument that not having set appointments ensures that people who are unwell can see a doctor straight away is not a convincing one.This is because you could queue/ phone every day if you need to see the doctor and still not get an appointment. In this way someone who has been ill for less time could theoretically be seen before someone who has needed to see a doctor for a while just because they might be more tenacious. Also the belief that people want their appointments to fit into their lifestyles may be true in some cases but it's not true in all cases. When you work it's sometimes very difficult to get the time off to go to the doctors. I'm a teacher and we are always told not to book appointments during school time. I think it's wrong to generalise in that way. One positive thing is that I was impressed that the doctor called me regarding my son (they don't always bother to take the trouble) I hope that one day soon my son can be seen and receive treatment as he's young and struggling.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 16 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 11 January 2017

Hello

We are really sorry to hear of the problems that you've experienced. we've had problems with systems at the practice, and obviously like every area of the NHS this is our busy time and this makes everything worse. We published a statement on our website at Christmas.

Practice Statement from Carlton House Surgery
We’ve had some feedback lately from our patients and patient group, that unfortunately there have been some issues firstly with getting through on the phones and secondly with access to appointments.
Indeed, it appears that there are ongoing issues with our phone lines and we have for some time been trying to resolve this with the phone company. To compound this, we are significantly short-staffed at the moment and are in the process of recruiting. In the interim, please remember our staff are working very hard to manage your calls and we would appreciate your patience during this difficult period.
Regarding appointments- we are sure you realise that this is our busiest time of year! Our appointments over the Christmas period are largely on the day, to help us manage the acute problems that crop up during the winter season. This also avoids us experiencing the large numbers of DNAs that we experience with pre-bookable appointments.
If you have an emergency, you will be put through to the duty doctor who will triage you for an appointment if appropriate. This service goes on all day for EMERGENCIES/URGENT queries. A doctor calls you back the same day and can book you an appointment that day if needed. Triage will sometimes be closed later in the afternoon if the doctor on call feels that the demand is unmanageable and impacting patient safety. They will then redirect you to other services as appropriate.
For non-urgent issues, there are pre-bookable telephone slots which allow you to talk to a doctor.
Please consider whether you need an appointment or not. Sometimes the Pharmacists can help you. We also have passports at the front desk for the Minor Ailment Scheme, which allows you to get simple medications from them. Out of hours, 111 can also help you access primary care services.
We know that there are problems with our administration and apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Please understand and we are doing our best to sort these issues out, but unfortunately it takes time, especially with the current wider challenges we are facing.
We are all working very hard – please help us to help you.
Wishing everyone a happy healthy 2017.
Best wishes,

The Carlton House Team.

Once all appointments have gone on the day, we offer a triage service for urgent problems. Otherwise telephone consultations can be booked on the day and in advance for non urgent things. if your son needs treatment, you should be able to book one of these telephone slots- urgent on the day or prebookable and a Dr can assess how best to help you and whether he needs to be seen that day on the phone.

Some Gp surgeries are purely triage now , but when we did more of this patients seemed to hate it. Urgent children will always be spoken to or seen on the day if needed.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Couldn't get a pre - bookable appointment when I called toda

Tried to get a pre- bookable appointment but was told there were none available however far in advance. Only option to get seen at a time I can get off work is go to A+E and wait it out. All very politey handled when I called but obviously extremely over subscribed or under staffed surgery. Shocking really.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 15 November 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for your response.
We do not offer many pre-bookable appointments because so many patients fail to attend them. Most of our appointments are offered on the day. This is similar to many other practices. Other practices will not offer any appointments at all and all patients have to speak to a doctor or nurse before they are offered an appointment (again on the same day). This is the way we find best to manage the workload.
We are neither over-subscribed (same number of patients for the last 16+ years) or under-staffed (more doctors and more appointments than ever before).
The problem is demand. The demand is ever increasing and the funding is ever shrinking.
We are a doctors' surgery. We exist to see patients who are ill. This does mean that patients might need to be seen at a time that is not necessarily convenient for them. Many of our patients want to be seen at particular times because it suits their lifestyle. Unfortunately sometimes when people need to see a doctor, they may need to take time off for that.

Embarrassing Service

I've been linked to the surgery for over 40 years. Currently the surgery is a shambles. You can never get through on the phone, they lose repeat prescription requests then claim a treatment I've been on for 20 years is not logged as a repeat prescription (quite important as it's an inhaler!), queues outside the door when trying speak to anyone face to face. If this was a commercial business, it would be bankrupt in weeks.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 08 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for your comment.
The irony is of course that we are a commercial business - however a business that can neither charge its clients, set its own business plan for working, charge an appropriate fee for services rendered or decide to stop doing unprofitable business. We are a business that has to provide services to patients but is paid by NHS England (ie from the government) and is hugely underpaid and overworked. We are paid for seeing patients twice a year. We are seeing patients on average over 7 times a year.
This is the political reality of working in the NHS in 2016. It does not look as though it is going to get better. We believe (along with the majority of NHS workers) that the current government is deliberately underfunding (hugely) the NHS, and in particular primary care, in order that it fails and a private service will take over. We believe that the majority of patients will mourn the passing of the NHS when it happens (we certainly will) and yet don't comprehend what is happening now.
All evidence suggests that doctors and nurses are amongst the most trusted professions - and journalists and MPs the least. Yet when we try and explain what is happening people choose to bury their heads in the sand. The junior doctors' strikes were the thin end of this.
We are genuinely trying our best to see patients, offer an excellent clinical service, practice safely (for our patients and ourselves) and continue to run the practice. We are sorry that the service you have received is not what you think it should be. We would like it to be better but we are trying our hardest.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

22 years as a patient at Carlton House

My experience is of kindness, help and courtesy.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 11 October 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you. We appreciate your taking the time to write a comment.

Gone downhill

I really feel this surgery has gone downhill over the last year. It is very difficult to get an appointment, you have to wait on the phone for a long time and I rarely see the same doctor twice. One receptionist has been repeatedly rude and unprofessional towards me and my husband. I asked to speak to the practice manager and was told 'there isn't one'. I asked to speak to their line manager and was told 'you'll have a long wait and they will say the same as me'. Actually, the line manager did at least have some sympathy for me - I was very upset by this point as my young son had been very unwell and the surgery really hadn't tried to help us at all. Our urgent prescription request was ignored - there does not seem to be any safeguards in place for processing urgent correspondence as it all goes in the same letterbox. Ours was not actioned even after 72 hours. I ended up wasting the doctor's time over the phone when really we just needed a prescription. Each time I tried to explain the situation to the reception staff they just glazed over and said 'there's nothing I can do', without even listening. There is no excuse for staff to be rude and dismissive, when you go to the doctor it is because you are unwell, worried and stressed and just a little bit of sympathy and kindness goes a long way. I am usually a very patient person but this particular receptionist pushed me to the end of my tether. Some of the doctors here are very good but the administrative side is poor.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 31 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 11 January 2017

Hello
We are really sorry that you experienced these problems. You have correctly been informed that sadly we are without a Practice Manager. We have new receptionists training and stressed longterm receptionists. As this is our busy season - it has been a difficult time and staff are trying to be helpful where they can. If you have a particular issue with an incident with a member of staff, it's really helpful if you can write or email the surgery directly. Where patients have had difficulties, unless we know the situation we can't use it as an example in staff training.

I don't know the exact situation from your post, but with urgent medication requests not on repeats, especially for children we will often want to speak to the patient - hence this might have been the need for a phone call.

Around Christmas on the website www.carltonsurgery.co.uk we listed a statement explaining our current situation as follow:

Practice Statement from Carlton House Surgery

We are all working very hard – please help us to help you.
Wishing everyone a happy healthy 2017.
Best wishes,

The Carlton House Team.

Worst surgery there is

Forget ever getting an appointment at this place. Unless you want to wait a month you have to call for on the day appointments. The receptionists are so rude and unsympathetic to needs regarding medication. I had to go cold turkey on my daily medication because of their stupid policy of only getting prescriptions ready on Thursdays. Not to mention I called at least 50 times (that was the actual number on my call history just for that day) to get an on the date appointment to get an emergency prescription. I was always told by this place that I had to phone for appointments and you couldn't just come in to book one. When I was next in asking for an emergency prescription I was asked why I didn't come in to book an appointment to which I replied the rule I was told was that you could only call. I was immediately shot down and looked at like I was lying because they've never told anyone that. I told them of my frustrations of it being impossible to get through to them on the phone. Again I was shot down with a scathing reply that "the phones are always answered here". I was so angry to the point of tears. When I finally got my prescription after 5 days of withdrawal they'd changed my medication to a brand that wasn't stocked in the 3 pharmacys that I went to that day. Honestly I have so many issues with this place and only ever encounter frustration when dealing with this place. Going to be changing asap. I'd give zero stars if possible. Truly the worst thing about this surgery are the horrible reception staff. I'be literally never had anything other than horrible encounters with them.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 07 October 2016

Carlton House Surgery has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

dont register here if you work-actually even if you dont

almost impossible to get an appointment, today I asked to book an appointment anytime within the next 2 weeks -there are none available for the next 4 weeks. this was once a good surgery but now has gone so far downhill I don't know even with help if it can recover. sadly I notice your books are open for new patients totally unprofessional behaviour, you don't seem able to mange a service for those you have. Often there are no female doctors available, this is extremely difficult for some of us, there is absolutely no consistency with the service, even when some of us have life long difficulties, if you are lucky enough to get an appointment (it will have to be on the day- so tough on your job or clients or working hours) it will be with whoever is left. I do know surgeries are suffering- not sure why, but its not fair to expect hospital accident and emergencies to pick up where the surgeries are failing when the surgeries are continuing to take new patients to the detriment of those they already have

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 12 August 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 13 December 2016

Please see the responses above which will answer many of your points. NHS England does not allow practices to close their books so this is not unprofessional behaviour - it is part of our contract. We have 7 female GPs out of 11 so there are more female GPs available than male. If appointments are gone with those doctors then you will be offered an appointment with whoever is left. I am not sure what you would like us to do to make this better?

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Rant

Hardest drs surgery to get an appointment with, phones engaged majority of the time or the lines are shut. Doctors rush you to get your appointment over with, they don't diagnose you properly! Feed you false information! Was told to contact my Health Visitor regarding a referral my child's health issues.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 02 August 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 January 2017

see previous responses with today's date.
(It is often appropriate to ask a HV about the health issues of an under-5 year old).