Carlton House Surgery

02083704900 28 Tenniswood Road , Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL

A.J gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Bad repeat prescription service

Now having to allow 2 weeks for repeat prescriptions to be done. Both parents house bound but irratic system as to prescriptions being sent from surgery to designated chemist for delivery.
Chemist and parents often have to phone repeatedly to find out if prescription done and where it is. Often just left at surgery In a box. Staff have to spend lots of time looking for them .

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 05 August 2017

CRG gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Positive Experience

I have recently had two telephone appointment's and one face to face appointment this morning. All three experiences have been positive. The GP I have seen this morning was so thorough and supportive of my needs. I have felt like I was listened to at every stage and given a very professional and polite response. I cannot speak highly enough of how this interaction has left me feeling back in control of my well being. Well done to the fantastic GP that I saw this morning, not only are you professional and knowledgeable but you struck the right chord with me in regards to emotional care and well being. Keep up this great work.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 21 August 2017

Eleanore Honey gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

The surgery is shocking!!

I find the surgery reception staff to be shockingly unhelpful & damm right rude. when your not feeling well you do not need someone on the other end of the phone being rude intimidating you as if you do not need a doctor. i would not call for a doctors appointment unless it was necessary.
i find the doctors to be helpful when they want to be i feel more insulted after leaving.
The only thing i would say is i had a screening & the nurse was fantastic

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 03 July 2017

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Friendly GP Service

I know this Surgery is not considered the best however I have to say that I think its one of the better ones in the area. I managed to make an appointment on the day after coming down at 8am rather than calling. which I must say I found easier as usually you can never get through on the telephones. I know others will find this difficult with work but again I manage to make an evening appointment when I do have to work.
straight away I came to the front desk and was greeted with a lovely smile from a receptionist. I made my appointment and had to wait around 10 minuets then was seen by a lovely doctor.
now for the negative points.
never enough appointments for the main Doctors. always been seen my salaried but im okay with that as all doctors are doctors and can see your records.
would like to say a massive thank you again for the receptionist on the front desk as their smile was a good start to the morning.
keep up the good work Carlton but maybe change a couple of things i.e more appointments, better telephone system.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 05 July 2017

Amy gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Poor services & false economy.

I was sent away by the receptionist when repeated prescription for my disabled husband was not signed - even though it was handed in a week ago & I was told to colle t it 10 am 2 das ago. Another fragile gentleman came in, must be in his 90s with walking stick & breathless was also sent away by another receptionist without even asking when he submitted his prescription. I later found him waiting at the bus stop nearby. He must live a distance away. It's appalling & no sympathy shown to patients who need a little help.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Staff went out of their way to help

I can't thank the reception staff and doctors at Carlton House enough for the speed at which they provided me with a referral letter. After realising I was eligible for an ultrasound under my private health cover, I required a referral letter at very short notice to be able to attend the appointment. The reception staff were very understanding and tried to print one off for me but when that didn't work they then made a special note for the doctor asking if they could provide me with one. The doctor did so that morning allowing me to attend the ultrasound the same afternoon. I can't thank them enough for helping me at a very stressful time.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 04 August 2017

Thank you for posting a positive comment. It was very much appreciated.

Best wishes.

CARLTON HOUSE SURGERY

Laura gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Overall, happy with Carlton House

I have been a patient at Carlton House for five years. I am quite happy with the service overall, but I have a few remarks:
- it's very difficult to get hold of the receptionists on the phone. I know two telephone numbers for the reception and often I am not successful with either of them. Sometimes, by dialling one number, the phone rings for a long period and nobody answers, whereas the other line sounds like it were not in use.

- in my opinion, the referrals are a serious problem. Patients are referred to a specialist only in certain, strict circumstances. In other words, only when a health problem is clearly present. Sometimes, even when there is an ongoing issue that needs to be assessed by a specialist, the General Practitioners try to sort it themselves, perhaps by asking the patient to collect their own sample. It happened to me. I was sure I had quite a bad infection, but, yet I was requested to collect a swab. The test came up negative only because the tissues were so dry that I was no able to pick the sample. The doctor concluded there was no infection, despite the symptoms I had described. I then decided to go to a private doctor, who detected a strong infection. Some health aspects should be investigated immediately and cannot wait too long. Also, health is about prevention as well as treatment and I think the NHS should allow its patients to be seen by specialists more often, even only for a general check-in.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

quite happy with the staff

I have been quite happy with the reception staff. They always manage to get me an appointment and I have found the receptionists to be quite patient with me when at times I have been quite anxious on the telephone and the same can be said for the doctors.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 12 July 2017

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Atrocious telephone and appointments system

After over 15 years of being registered at this surgery I have moved elsewhere. This surgery feels dangerously oversubscribed. The care of the GP's themselves is good from my experience. The main problem is if you have a full time job, good luck ever managing to get an appointment in the first place.

The appointments system in place is beyond a joke. This surgery insists on holding back the majority of their appointments, meaning you have to enquire on the day in the hope of securing an appointment on that same day. The reception staff advise that you either stand outside the surgery at 7.30-8am before opening in the morning amongst a queue of other people, or try their phone lines at 8am. This inevitably means that it is near on impossible to get through to the reception staff via the phone at this time in the morning. If you have a job to get to, children to care for etc - how on earth can you remain on hold for such unreasonable lengths of time. The surgery is self inflicting this grievance on themselves by advising everyone to ring at the same time!
Additionally, the surgery seem to close the phone lines before last appointments have started, why?

The phone lines in general are appalling from my experience, I have extreme trouble getting through to a human being at most times of the day, especially if you ring their 'general enquiries' line. I have numerous examples of being on hold for aeons, and at times being cut off/not having a dial tone at all.

I was never bothered in years gone by about which GP I saw, I imagine you could have some incredibly long waits if you wanted to see one specific GP. The only way I could even potentially get an appointment within a month this year has been via the 'Hub' service. Annoyingly, the general reception staff at Carlton House seem unable to access the 'Hubs' appointment system, meaning you have to ring/go into the surgery to enquire about this once external 'Hub' reception staff arrive to take over. Even this was very hit and miss and if the only way I can get an appointment is to be sent to Edmonton, then something is not working.

I appreciate the staff at Carlton House are working under difficult conditions. However, at times I have been left very unsatisfied with the way the reception staff have treated my enquiries - often the only way to actually get somewhere is to kick up a fuss which I do not enjoy doing. However it is clear they are under a lot of pressure, largely due to the over subscription of the surgery and it isn't surprising they aren't always full of smiles.

From my positive experience at my new surgery where pre-bookable appointments are readily available within a reasonable timeframe - It doesn't have to be like this. I understand a huge number of people needlessly waste booked appointments and do not show up. However there must be another way forward than to restrict appointments in such a way that it is incredibly difficult to even book one if you have any responsibilities

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 04 August 2017

Thank you for your comment.

We are very sorry to hear that you have decided to leave the Practice after 15 years. We can only apologise for the difficulties you have experienced.

We are aware that our appointment system needs to be reviewed and we are in the process of doing this. We are also aware that the telephone access we have been providing with regards to all incoming calls, is not acceptable, which has resulted in patients become frustrated and angry. We have made some tentative steps in dealing with this problem by investing in a new telephone system, which should be fully operational by 4/8 and so we very much hope that this improves the service patients receive.

We are not sure why the reception team found it difficult accessing the Hub appointments and will therefore be discussing this with them, providing additional training wherever needed. We are also sorry to hear that the service you received from the staff was less than positive. We will be addressing these issues in the coming weeks and look towards offering a better ‘customer service’ experience for our patients, following additional staff training.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the poor service you have received and wish you well for the future.

Best wishes.

CARLTON HOUSE SURGERY

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Hopeless Surgery

Thankfully I don't fall ill very often, but when I've required assistance from them, Carlton House have failed miserably.

From charging an extortionate amount to sign off a private medical insurance claim - yes private, so taking the burden away from the NHS, then taking weeks to do this; losing repeat prescription requests then getting them wrong (I have two inhalers, not one!); and now refusing to sign a medical certificate to confirm I am fit enough to participate in an overseas sporting event, with their recommendation for me to go private.

The above combined with rude, abrupt and uncaring staff leaves surgery in a complete mess.

NHS cuts?

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 15 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback.

To address your concerns:

1. Private work is of lower priority than NHS work. We do our best to get these reports completed in our own time i.e. time we wouldn't normally be working - but without compromising the day to day care of our patients. We cannot justify cancelling NHS clinics to do private work more promptly. The fees are based on the standard BMA recommended pricing structure. From your post, I am unsure why you feel that completing a private report takes any burden off the NHS? As you may understand, we have limited time in our day and our NHS responsibilities must come first.

2. I am sorry you have had a problem with your repeat medication. We recognise this has been an issue and our new practice manager is working on a solution to improve the process. Without knowing more specifics I cannot make any further comment. I am also sorry that you find the staff rude and abrupt. Our staff aim to offer the best service they can, but at times work in very stressful conditions, although this is no excuse for rudeness. We are looking to organise more in-house training to improve patient experience.

3. The private note to say you are fit for an overseas sporting activity is fraught with risk for us as doctors. If anything happens to you, we undertake responsibility when we sign the document. Consequently, we never sign something to say 'you are fit for...'. We are happy to provide the event organisers with medical information about you but the responsibility must lie with you and your choice to participate. I hope this makes sense.

We would be happy to discuss this in more detail if you would like to meet with us. This feedback does feel like it is a result of a mismatch of your expectations of what we can and what we should provide, mainly with respect to private work. Hopefully, I have articulated the reasons for the above concerns clearly.

Best Wishes