Carlton House Surgery

Address: Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL
Website: http://www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk/

Carla gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Happy with Reception staff, Dr's & Nurses

I have always been treated well by all members of staff from Carlton House Surgery. The Reception staff today were brilliant from the first phone call to me going in to collect some forms. They couldn't have been more polite, helpful, respectful, understanding & efficient. New refurbishment looks good also

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 27 February 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 04 March 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are very grateful for your kind words.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding service

I have been a patient at this surgery for 15 years. My daughter has been a patient at this surgery for 3 years. I am very happy with the care provided to us at the surgery.

I have found the medical care provided by the doctors to be outstanding. I am a patient of one GP. They are a very experienced doctor. They are so compassionate and amazingly dedicated to their profession. I have also had very positive experiences with other doctors at the surgery.

I have found the nurses to be real treasures. They have fulfilled their roles with such warmth and humor, that they are a pleasure to see.

With regard to the appointments system, I called the surgery at 840 am today. I was offered an appointment at 1130 am today.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to all at the surgery for doing a difficult job very well.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 26 January 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 02 February 2015

Thank you for your kind words. We do our best to provide an excellent service and are happy that you are pleased. We will pass your comments on to all the staff.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Rude uncaring staff

Ludricous appointment booking system, office staff are rude and uncaring, misinformation given to patients. Never see same doctor twice (unless you want to wait 2 months for an appointment). Have never been seen by a doctor within half hour of actual appointment time, they never apologise for keeping you waiting (have waited for 1.5 hours once without a simple apology). No flexibility whatsoever. Modern technology, initiative and common courtesy has clearly steered clear of this practice, have never experienced the like.
I have quite bad asthma and have never been called in for a review, they give me the same repeat prescription constantly without checking my BP, peak flow or anything - very concerning. No doctor takes responsibility for their patients here.
You have to call them when you need something like a gyno appointment - they don't remind you - how concerning is that for women that don't remember.
My 2 very young children were both give asthma pumps (my son has not got asthma, just had a cough once), but have never been contacted to do an asthma review on either of them - simply terrible.

I have been a patient for 4.5 years and my named Dr I have seen once. I am now looking for a new surgery, a shame as this one is very close to where I live and is very convenient, but I have serious concerns for patient welfare at this practice. I will be moving my entire family away from this practice as soon as I am able to switch to a new one as I simply have no faith in this one.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 21 January 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 02 February 2015

I am sorry that you feel that the appointments' system is ludicrous. Unfortunately we know that one system will not suit everybody - however we feel this system suits the majority of our patients and we have far fewer complaints since starting this system. We accept that it is difficult to see the same doctor all the time - this is the price we have all had to pay for increasing access (a requirement). By increasing access one automatically has to reduce continuity. I am also sorry that you feel our staff are rude; we wpould ask that you give us names and times as we feel that our staff are normally respectful and polite and would like to know when they fall short of this.
In terms of asthma reviews, actually we do do regular reviews on all our patients with chronic conditions (although you are correct - we would not routinely check your BP if you have asthma). However we do expect patients to bear some responsibility for their own health and therefore do expect them to try and remember when their smear is due for example. Likewise we would expect people to come to see us if they feel they need to rather than waiting for us to ask them to see us. (Although we do actually spend thousands of pounds a year on sending written and text reminders to patients). We are not complacent and we are always striving to do better - however we do feel that our patient care is excellent and we are proud of the very good service we offer in extremely difficult circumstances.
I am sure you are right to look for another practice that is more to your liking as all practices are different and another one may offer you more of what you feel you need.

Suzan gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

not what i expected

receptionists were often rude and patronising and always unhelpful. i understand that is was a busy practice but always being unhelpful is not acceptable. Never saw the same GP even though i always requested(seems to be a high turnover??worringly so!) When i did get to see GP it felt like i was being rushed along and out of the consulting room. Today i had enough and have registered at a new practice. Totally different experience! Happy to have left Carlton House Surgery!

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 17 February 2015

Carlton House Surgery replied on 04 March 2015

We are sorry you felt our receptionists were "always" unhelpful. This would not be acceptable to us and we often overhear our receptionists going above and beyond the call of duty to be helpful to be patients. I'm sorry this was not your experience but without dates, times and names of who you found unhelpful it is difficult to change things. We have a remarkably low GP turnover compared to many practices - however all of our turnover in the last 14 years has been within the last couple of years. Prior to 2012 we had not had a doctor leave for 12 years. Since then we have had 3 GPs retire and a number of doctors remain for relatively short lengths of time; we have another doctor retiring this year. I'm afraid this is a pattern you will see across general practice at the moment. All GPs are working extremely hard and extremely long hours and this is unsustainable. Again I'm sorry you felt as though you were being rushed out. Our appointments are only 10 minutes long so maybe you should have booked a double appointment - however feedback with regard to our consultations is actually extremely high and we do try to give patients as much time as possible. We are pleased you have found a new practice that meets your requirements - we are aware that not every practice can be what every patient wants and are happy you have found that elsewhere.

EN2 family gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

brilliant surgery!!!

Been at this surgery all of my life (nearly 40 years) and have not got a bad word to say. Ive always got through on the phone. Always got an appointment or offered a phonecall from a gp if no actual appointments left. Sometimes have waited up to an hour but surely this is expected? The gp will be running late if dealing with a serious health problem or a patient that may be unable to undress fast for an examination etc etc. Thats life. I like that we are dealt with thoroughly. I would be unhappy if we weren't! Also where else would you go and wait in comfort and have a health concern thoroughly checked?? I expect if I have a doctor's appointment or any other appointment that it will take time out of my day. If I was unable to do this I would go to the walk in centre at a more convenient time. After speaking to friends abouts theirs i would hate to have to go anywhere else aswell as due to cuts in the nhs and a massive drop in gp's practising that this is one of the best in the area. 10 out of 10.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 10 November 2014

Thank you for your kind words. You are absolutely right that the NHS cuts and the disproportionate way that this has been applied to general practice means that we are under more pressure than ever before. We are doing our best under difficult circumstances and are very grateful when this is recognised. This does not mean we are not seeking to improve of course where this is possible.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Over 20 years with the doctor

I have received excellent care over the years and have never encountered the problems with reception as have some of your correspondents.

I do agree, however, that the recent appointments system can sometimes be difficult to navigate.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 10 November 2014

Thank you. THe appointments system has been running now for a year or so and hopefully is becoming easier.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Out of date information

The information on NHS Choices is incorrect. You do not stay open until 7.00pm and I have never been able to get an appointment at that time.

Also when are you going to bring in Online appointment booking please. Telephone access is appalling and we are then told no appointments and someone will call - some hours later.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 10 November 2014

I'm afraid your comment is incorrect. We do stay open till 7pm (our doors are never locked before this time) and we offer appointments (a mixture of telephone, pre-bookable and emergency) appointments up to this time. Obviously we have 12,500 patients so not all of them will be able to be offered the latest appointment of the day. On-line booking will come. Unfortunately this comes with costs attached and we are currently assessing how this can work. If you access us by telephone once all the appointments on the day have gone then we will ask a doctor to call back and assess whether or not you need an emergency appointment. Telephone access is as good as it can be. We have multiple lines and multiple staff answering thm - it is difficult to see how we could improve this.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Run by locum doctors providing poor care

This surgery used to be brilliant a couple of years ago. You always got an appointment with your registered doctor.

Now, you can never pre book an appointment with your own doctor, they tell you to call up in the morning of the day you want your appointment at 8am - you are guaranteed not to get through on the phone. When you do, they offer an appointment with a locum doctor.

There is no continuity of care, locum doctor which I took my mum to see today seemed not connected. Gave no confidence to me or my mum. They then forgot to give all the prescriptions so my mum had to send my brother to collect the prescriptions only to find out that a item was left off the prescriptions!!

Extremely stressful as my mother is elderly and my brother and I have to take time off our schedule to take mum to the doctors and this is what we have to deal with.

Why is it that we just simply cannot call up and book an appointment with the Doctor who we registered with. Surely there is a duty of patient and doctor relationship and continuity of care from the same doctor rather than can't be bothered locum doctors.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 10 July 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 14 July 2014

Thank you for your comment. We agree that unfortunately things have changed in many ways in the last couple of years. 2 years ago we had a full complement of doctors offering a full number of appointments for our patients. Unfortunately we have had 4 doctors leave us over the past 3 years and we have not been able to recruit adequate replacements to date. This is not due to lack of effort on our part. There is a national recruitment crisis in general practice because it is chronically underfunded and (despite what people might read in the Daily Mail) is an extremely unattractive place to work at the moment with the workload increasing exponentially and the pay getting worse and worse. We do not choose to use locums to do the work (quite apart from the patient dissatiscfaction they cause us increased workload and also cost us a large amount of money) - but we have had no option unless we are just going to turn around to patients and advise them that there are no appointments available at all.
The GOOD news is that we have recruited 4 new doctors (permanent doctors) who start with us in August and September and we will finally be up to a full complement of doctors again. The next few weeks (July and beginning of August) will not be any better (in fact will be slightly worse) but then we will hopefully return to how things were a few years ago and no longer need locums. We may not be always able to provide appointments with a patient's "registered GP" but should be able to offer continuity of care and service.
It would be good if you were able to come and sign the BMA petition on our front desk awhich is seeking to highlight the recruitment crisis and the funding crisis (today for example 60 practices have announced they will have to close because they can no longer cope; we have had discussions with our MP about whether we can continue in the current climate).
In terms of booking in advance there will be more appointments available in future but these appointments are very often wasted by patients not turning up so we are still planning to offer most appointments on the day. We feel this is better than how most practices are now working where patients have to speak to a nurse or doctor before being offered an appointment. We appreciate that the way we are offering appointments does not suit everyone but this seems to use the time most effectively for most people.
We apologise again for the fact that you feel the service has deteriorated. In many ways we agree with you and are doing our very best to remedy this in a very difficult climate.

Jon Stubbs gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

The most rude and unhelpful recepionist, every time I call!

The GPs and nurses here have always been polite and very efficient (probably due being registered). However the receptionist I sadly always seem speak to is either not taking part in staff training days or is treating people who are either in distress or need a supportive voice in a rude, belittling and extremely unprofessional manner.

When asked if a specific doctor was available "No" was the resounding answer, with no other words of apology were offered. "I'm sorry, no" would seem more appropriate by a front line member of a multi disciplinary team and a suitable alternative offered instead of myself having to finally reinitiate the conversation.

I have on more than one occaision been to the front desk, been treated like I wasn't worth their time and sunsequently asked who I could make an official complaint to. The reply was sadly fashioned to make the practice manager virtually unreachable.

This behaviour is absolutley ridiculous, no wonder A&Es are so busy as I would prefer to visit one than run the gauntlet of seeing/speaking to this person again! It's a shame that someone who is the initial point of contact makes me feel worthless and not going to see my GP

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 18 July 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 10 November 2014

We would really like to hear from you as to who this was and when. We try to ensure our staff are appropriate. Our practice manager certainly is accessible so you should not have been told she was not. Please email her or use the practice website to reach her (www.carltonhousesurgery.co.uk) and we will try and address your complaint through the correct channels.

Doug gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Rude, Blunt & Sharp Receptionist & Long Waiting!!

Apart from Some of the reception staff the Dr's are all very nice & helpful.
One thing I Don't like is when you call to make an appointment the receptionist asks why you want to see the Dr... Surely that's confidential between my Dr & I?!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 July 2014

Carlton House Surgery replied on 10 November 2014

We have listened to patient feedback and we now only ask this when a patient says that they need to see a doctor urgently and cannot wait for an appointment. Thank you for your feedback.