Carlton House Surgery

0208 370 4900 Carlton House Surgery, 28 Tenniswood Road , Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3LL

Evelyn gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Feedback about The GP Practice

I have been a registered patient at this GP Practice for the past 8 years. During this time, I have been under the excellent medical care of two doctors who rate amongst the best doctors I have seen.

The reception and nursing staff have, in general, been excellent, helpful and treat me with respect, especially one Nurse and the reception employees.

I was recommended this surgery when I moved to Enfield and have since, in turn, recommended this GP Practice to a number of my new neighbours.

Thanking the doctors, and the nurses and reception staff for your excellent duty of care and help towards me so far.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 April 2017

Thank you very much. This sort of response lifts the morale of doctors, nurses and reception staff who are finding it increasingly difficult to continue in this under-funded under-supported service.

Rude Ignorant Receptionists

I have been registered with this surgery for over 10 years and unfortunately the level of service has gone downhill not to mention the rude and ignorant receptionists.
I went to the surgery to collect some forms and after speaking to the reception they initially said that they could not find them, the receptionist didn't even bother looking properly and looked uninterested and very unhelpful and you could see they had a bad attitude. In my opinion the surgery should not employ individuals who do not know how to deal with patients in a customer facing role. After the receptionist found the forms they were very unclear and unhelpful and just tried to fob me off with out knowing the facts. Then the receptionist got frustrated and said I can't deal with this if that's the case they should not be dealing with the public.
Also the waiting times for an appointment are over 3 weeks and having to wait over 3 weeks to get an appointment is totally unacceptable.

All in all this surgery is no longer a credible practice.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 17 March 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 April 2017

See all the other responses. Our receptionists work very hard in an increasingly unsustainable service. They try to treat patients as "customers" but please remember that our role is to look after ill patients.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Difficulty getting test results

My son attended an appointment with a GP after what looked like an infection of an open wound at the end of March.. He saw a doctor and had a swab taken . The surgery telephoned and left a message on the 12 th April, asking my son to contact the surgery. The following day my son finally got through to the test result helpline and was told that they couldn't give him the results over the phone and he would have to make an appointment, of which the earliest available would be in May or he could have a telephone appointment with the doctor the following Wednesday. My son works and he kept his phone on all day ,awaiting the call. He eventually went to Cricket training in the evening and then had a missed call at 7.20 with a voicemail message saying that if the wound had not healed he would need to make an appointment. He had spent a full week worrying that it was something more serious.. Why could he not have been given the results by the helpline . It just seems so bureaucratic and also a waste of the Doctor's time. In the past a telephone appointment would have an approximate time given as very few people can sit by their phone all day waiting for a call. This system needs looking at.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 April 2017

Carlton House Surgery has not yet replied.

No dignity in queuing outside at 7.55 with 30 other patients

Why does this surgery treat it's patients so poorly that we have to stand in inclement weather outside the surgery waiting to be awarded an appointment for sometime that day - if we are lucky. Is this our modern health service?

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 April 2017

You don't have to stand outside to get an appointment. You can phone (we still had appointments available at 11am on Monday and 10am on Tuesday) or book online. Some patients choose to come down here because they feel it is more convenient than waiting on the phone lines (we don't have indefinite numbers of staff able to answer phones but they are answered as quickly as we are able) or because they want to try and guarantee a particular doctor. Several of my patients (this is a doctor answering this) told me that they had come early and waited outside yesterday in order to get an appointment with me - they then thanked me for the service I gave when they saw me.
We have said many many times (and no doubt will say it many many more times) that this is the modern health service. GPs see more than 9 in 10 of every patient using the NHS and receives less than 7p in every £ given to the NHS (and the total budget for the NHS is woefully inadequate). The Independent and Guardian today have reported that more than 2 in 5 of GPs are considering leaving the NHS due to low morale (caused in part by patients moaning about the system when in fact doctors, nurses and reception staff are working incredibly hard to ensure a safe clinically excellent service). If you want to complain about the fact that this free-at-the-point-of-delivery woefully-underfunded clinically-excellent service is not convenient and that it's hard to get an appointment then please complain to your MP or someone who might be able to actually do something about it. In the meantime we will concentrate on continuing to offer a clinically excellent safe service that is unlikely to also be able to be speedy or convenient.
It's unlikely that any of us will still be here in 5 years time with the way the NHS is going. Maybe when a private company takes over and everyone is paying for their appointments, someone will come up with the perfect appointment system that suits everyone.

Natalie lambert gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

The worst surgery I've encountered

I am astonished at the difficultly in getting an appointment.
I also do not have the time to wait over an hour past my original appointment time.

I also do not appreciate the rude receptionist. I merely asked when i would be seen after waiting 40 mins past my time . I found them to be dismissive and arrogant.

I wish I could say it is a one off situation but it isn't .
I have had to walk away from the appointment numerous times otherwise I would be late for work . It is simply unacceptable.

My wife who had had cervical cancer scares previously was treated disgustingly today by the nurse . My wife asked questions relating to her health and was rudely told they're not the doctor and to stop bombarding the nurse with questions on a Monday morning. My wife rarely visits the doctor. Rest assured an email to the practice manager and ombudsman in on the way as well as deregistering from the surgery.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 20 February 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 April 2017

We are still awaiting the email of complaint to the practice manager / complaints manager. We can't respond to any of this until we have received that. The ombudsman also informs us that there are no current complaints about the practice that they have been sent. Presumably you have now de-registered and found a practice that you are happy with.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Worse surgery in enfield , terrible service at reception

I believe the receptionist are not answering phone calls on purpose . Their line is always busy because they don't hang up the phone so they make people to think they are on the phone with other patients .
Wednesday I called them 61 times than they answered the phone the person in the reception told me there was training on Wednesday.
Thursday morning I called them 55 times then another person told me Thursday there is training . They said there was no training on Wednesday. Looks like they are kidding with people . They just make people fed up so people don't call for an appoitment .
In two days I wasted 1 hour on the phone to someone to answer after all I still couldn't have appoitment .
All I can say SHAME ON YOU

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 February 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 April 2017

There was training on the Wednesday that week. It was compulsory BLS training which 1/3 of our staff were on that day. There was borough-wide training on the Thursday so the practice was closed.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Never any answer on the phones

This has to be the worst surgery possibly going. I've tried to call over the phone to get my test results from the 20th February and i still havemt managed to get through to anyone neither has anyone called me to give me my results. Any other surgery would have posted the results.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 02 March 2017

Carlton House Surgery replied on 12 April 2017

Surgeries do not post results. This would be impossible. We get hundreds of results a day. Even if we had time to post everyone's results, how on earth could we afford to do that? (The NHS is in a financial crisis). Patients would be moaning even more that they couldn't see a doctor or speak to a receptionist because they would be stuffing envelopes with results all the time.
We ask people to call 14 days after their test to get their results. Having surveyed 180 other practices, 0% of them posted results to patients. 14% of them required patients to register online for access to their test results; 8% texted results to patients (we have been considering this but have concerns about safety); the other 78% asked people to telephone for their results after 2 weeks. Given that you posted this "complaint" 10 days (and 8 working days) after your test we probably would not have had the results available to give you anyway.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Impossible to get an appointment

I was almost in tears today after trying to get to see a doctor since Thursday! I have tried the early morning phone queue using my landline, my mobile and my husband's mobile. Impossible. I attended the surgery in person twice today to ask for an appointment, first I was told to spend my journey to work Queuing on a phone, then told to queue from 7.30 a.m outside the surgery with still no guarantee of an appointment on that day. I asked about on-line appointments which I had been unsuccessful in accessing.. I had to go home to get my passport as there were appointments available. When I returned I was given further login details. These did not work, neither did my husband's. No one at the practice had the IT skills to fix th problem and allow me access to see appts even though I could see my prescriptions and medical records. I still have no appt and even asked to see a doctor, any doctor in January. This was refused. I will now waste more of my time, and NHS funds by attending A&E. The waiting room was empty of patients with a queue of 8 people and 1 poor reception trying to do her best under great pressure. Where are alll the doctors and patients? Patients probably at home on the end of their unsuccessful phone queue. What's happened at Carlton house? I've been a patient for 35 years and it's never been this bad!! Why aren't any of these reviews being replied to o the replies publshed?

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for your review. I will answer the various points.
1) The reason we have not been replying to the reviews is that we felt our time was better spent trying to do the work at the practice. Time spent replying (this is one of the doctors) means I am not seeing patients, signing prescriptions, looking at results or managing letters. If I give this role to one of my staff members it means they are not printing out prescriptions, answering the phones or doing another of the myriad of tasks they need to do. However if patients would like replies on this website as a priority we can do this.
2) We offer the vast majority of our appointments on the day. We offer some pre-bookable but they go very quickly. We do not offer more pre-bookable appointments because patients do not attend. Many of our pre-bookable appointments are not attended (around 50%) which is a huge waste of time. We understand that booking on the day is not convenient for everyone but unfortunately we feel it offers the best use of our time. Many practices now do not offer ANY appointments at all without the patients speaking to a doctor (this is called "doctor first" triage). When we trialled this (to a lesser extent) we also had a lot of complaints from patients who felt they wanted the ability to book an appointment themselves and who struggled to talk on the phone at work. We can't offer everything that people want. We currently offer more appointments than ever before and have the same number of patients as we have always had. Unfortunately the demand is increasing rapidly and we are not being paid to provide the level of service that people want. The average person in Enfield wants over 7 appointments a year. We are funded for 2.
3) Our appointment books are not open yet for January. This is a problem we are trying to sort out. Unfortunately our staff have been overwhelmed (as often is the case at this time of year) by patients anxious to get their prescriptions etc because of the bank holidays. We will be opening the appointment book for January and you should be able to get an appointment. Failing that, we do have 100+ appointments every day available to be booked on the day.
4) We have always felt that we offer a very good clinical service. We still feel that. We are proud of our excellent doctors and nurses. We are also proud of our reception staff who do a valiant job in very trying times. However we will not compromise on safety - for our patients or ourselves. We will not see so many patients in a day that we are not practicing safely. Therefore if we are overwhelmed with demand we will re-direct people to the urgent care centre (not usually A and E which would be a waste of patients' time). Attending A and E is potentially a waste of NHS funds - however general practice also uses NHS funds and we still estimate that around 50-60% of people who make appointments to see us do not need to see us.
5) I do not know what time of day you attended. However if the waiting room was empty than that will have been between surgeries. The doctors will have been dealing with phone calls, going on home visits, signing prescriptions (hundreds per day, all of which need reviewing to ensure they are safe), responding to correspondence from the hospital (hundreds per day, all of which need reviewing to ensure that any actions are taken) or looking at test results (many hundreds per day, all of which need reviewing and dealing with). The workload is overwhelming. The doctors are working 12+ hours every single day. The royal college of GPs has started a campaign to remind GPs to take a break and visit the bathroom every day because most doctors are working without any break at all.
6) We are trying our very very best. We appreciate our best might not be acceptable in which case you are very welcome to see if another local practice could offer a service that suits you better.

Anonymous reviewed Carlton House Surgery

GP feedback - appointments

I have tried to getting an appoinment early morning phone queues. I attend the surgery ask for appoinment then told to queue from 7:30 am outside the surgery but no guarantee. Tried to get a pre- bookable appoinment but told there were none available however in advance.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 14 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Carlton House Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Information misleading & appointments difficult to secure.

My intuition tells me that the doctors at the surgery are competent. However it would be difficult to verify this since it has been a mission to actually get an appointment. The receptionists aren't very good at passing on emails or leaving messages when they have been asked by the doctor to contact you. It's also difficult understanding the policies of the the practice because each receptionist says something different. Furthermore, the argument that not having set appointments ensures that people who are unwell can see a doctor straight away is not a convincing one.This is because you could queue/ phone every day if you need to see the doctor and still not get an appointment. In this way someone who has been ill for less time could theoretically be seen before someone who has needed to see a doctor for a while just because they might be more tenacious. Also the belief that people want their appointments to fit into their lifestyles may be true in some cases but it's not true in all cases. When you work it's sometimes very difficult to get the time off to go to the doctors. I'm a teacher and we are always told not to book appointments during school time. I think it's wrong to generalise in that way. One positive thing is that I was impressed that the doctor called me regarding my son (they don't always bother to take the trouble) I hope that one day soon my son can be seen and receive treatment as he's young and struggling.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 16 December 2016

Carlton House Surgery replied on 11 January 2017

Hello

We are really sorry to hear of the problems that you've experienced. we've had problems with systems at the practice, and obviously like every area of the NHS this is our busy time and this makes everything worse. We published a statement on our website at Christmas.

Practice Statement from Carlton House Surgery
We’ve had some feedback lately from our patients and patient group, that unfortunately there have been some issues firstly with getting through on the phones and secondly with access to appointments.
Indeed, it appears that there are ongoing issues with our phone lines and we have for some time been trying to resolve this with the phone company. To compound this, we are significantly short-staffed at the moment and are in the process of recruiting. In the interim, please remember our staff are working very hard to manage your calls and we would appreciate your patience during this difficult period.
Regarding appointments- we are sure you realise that this is our busiest time of year! Our appointments over the Christmas period are largely on the day, to help us manage the acute problems that crop up during the winter season. This also avoids us experiencing the large numbers of DNAs that we experience with pre-bookable appointments.
If you have an emergency, you will be put through to the duty doctor who will triage you for an appointment if appropriate. This service goes on all day for EMERGENCIES/URGENT queries. A doctor calls you back the same day and can book you an appointment that day if needed. Triage will sometimes be closed later in the afternoon if the doctor on call feels that the demand is unmanageable and impacting patient safety. They will then redirect you to other services as appropriate.
For non-urgent issues, there are pre-bookable telephone slots which allow you to talk to a doctor.
Please consider whether you need an appointment or not. Sometimes the Pharmacists can help you. We also have passports at the front desk for the Minor Ailment Scheme, which allows you to get simple medications from them. Out of hours, 111 can also help you access primary care services.
We know that there are problems with our administration and apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Please understand and we are doing our best to sort these issues out, but unfortunately it takes time, especially with the current wider challenges we are facing.
We are all working very hard – please help us to help you.
Wishing everyone a happy healthy 2017.
Best wishes,

The Carlton House Team.

Once all appointments have gone on the day, we offer a triage service for urgent problems. Otherwise telephone consultations can be booked on the day and in advance for non urgent things. if your son needs treatment, you should be able to book one of these telephone slots- urgent on the day or prebookable and a Dr can assess how best to help you and whether he needs to be seen that day on the phone.

Some Gp surgeries are purely triage now , but when we did more of this patients seemed to hate it. Urgent children will always be spoken to or seen on the day if needed.