Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre

Telephone: 020 8275 6410
Address: Somerset Gdns Fam Hth Ctr, 4 Creighton Road, Tottenham, London, N17 8NW
Website: Website address not added

Not one to choose

I have been a patient here for 15 years, simply because it is close to my home. I would not recommend it as a place to register, even though it is constantly seeking new patients.. It is really difficult to get an appointment, being forced to ring straight away at 8am, and constantly re-dialling because it is busy. Once you can actually get to be seen by a doctor, the care is generally good, but the hassle of actually getting to be seen adds to the stress of being ill.

There is no flexibility with the reception staff. You must ring before you can get an appointment. If you cannot ring at 8am, you cannot get an appointment at all. (It doesn't matter what the issue is, or how ill you are, and I suspect that this surgery's system contributes a fair amount to the pressures on A&E at the North Mid. When you can't be seen, repeatedly, just what do you do?) You must fit into the system of waiting at least two days for a prescription, no matter what the circumstances. There are no non-urgent appointments available, and forget about routine checks or being able to book an appointment in advance for anything.

It doesn't work well with as joined up carers in the health service, as the reception staff act more as gatekeepers to prevent contact with doctors. My 2 year old granddaughter was just discharged from hospital, and we were asked to go to the GP to get some medications that the hospital was unable to supply us with. Seemed a reasonable response, but no... I was made to feel like I was trying to obtain illicit drugs for a toddler, rather than essential medicines on an urgent basis. I was told they would "try" to get it seen as an emergency, and that I "might" be able to get it the next day, when she needed the next dose that night.

I am anonymous in submitting this review only because I do not want to risk getting even poorer service.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 26 February 2015

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 5 stars

thanks

I am new to this practice and cannot believe the amount of services it provides.
well organised and very modern

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 01 February 2015

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre has not yet replied.

Glenn Calderwood gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

Breach of patient record confidentiality?

This week when making an appointment to see a nurse practitioner, someone labelled "dispenser" went on the patent record system in reception. Is this either ethical or evel legal? I worry about my records now.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 13 December 2014

Aila gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 5 stars

Very professional

What I liked

When i needed an emergency appointment ( i found a lump in my breast) they booked me for the same day, actually 1 hour after !!!
Staff very friendly, give good advice and take time with each patient.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 26 November 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Thank you for your positive comment. It is good that we have been able to offer you excellent care. It really helps the team's motivation when we receive positive feedback.

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 2 stars

Getting an appointment is a nightmare

The surgery operates a telephone booking system which requires you to phone early in the morning and then wait for a doctor to phone you back. Most times the phone is busy and by the time you get through all available appointments are taken. Several times I have been told that there are not enough GPs available to see anything but emergencies. This despite the fact there are at least 8 GPs at the practice. Appalling! And they encouraging new patients to register.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 05 December 2014

Impossible. ...

Been tryin to make an appointment for the past 3 days and everytime I call its busy and when they finally pick up I get told that I have to call the next day. .. Had to go to A&E to actually see someone because I can never be able to get an appointment here....
I try not to use this gp because you could be dying and they still wont see you and they will tell you to call back between 8-9pm.. It's impossible to see a gp.
I wouldn't recommend this gp to anyone, it's a hassle and inconvenience.
I actually have an allergic reaction all over face and body to something for which the A&E department told me I need to go to my gp to book an appointment to see a dermatologist by yhe time I actually get an appointment my reaction would've probably gone n the gp wouldn't even know what it was..
It's a pathetic telephone system that needs to either improve or change. ....

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 18 December 2014

Improvement needed at Somerset Gardens

I have been a patient at the surgery for over twenty years. Seeing a doctor at the surgery is nigh impossible. Everyone is told to ring at 8.00 am; the line is constantly engaged and if you do get throught to speak to someone you are told ring on the next day all allocations are gone. Patients are not able to book an appointment with a doctor because the doctor decides whether the patients call warrants an appointment. I am distressed trying to speak to a doctor at the surgery. The service they offer is appalling especially if you have a serious condition.

The Health Authority should investigate this surgery.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 13 November 2014

Anonymous reviewed Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre

Rude GP

I, along with my young children have been registered with this practice for many years and cannot fault the care given to us by our usual doctor. My son and his sister were recently unwell and I had to make last minute appointments for them to be seen by a different doctor at the practice. Out of necessity rather than choice I had to bring their other young sibling along to appointment. I found this doctor to been unprofessional and extremely rude. During the consultation I was harshly told to 'control my babies!' And that they were 'not responsible for them' when they were understandably upset and were unable to sit still for long following the long wait time and being confined in the doctor's room. This is what young children do when they are sick and presented with an unknown environment. The GP's lack of compassion and rudeness brought me to tears and made what was already a stressful worrying situation even worse. I have read the other many negative reviews left by other patients and the fact that the Somerset Gardens Practice has not responded to any of the reviews says it all really doesn't it?

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

We do understand how difficult it can be for parents when they are unable to get care for their well children when seeing a GP. It is very difficult too for GP's trying to treat an ill child when they are aware of a mother's stress and distraction having to control the siblings. We are very sorry you feel the doctor was unprofessional and rude, but we do hope your two sick children's problems have resolved.

Very possibly the worst GP practice in London

Getting an appointment to see a GP at this practice has been a struggle for years. It has put me off attempting to see a doctor until the situation becomes urgent.

The latest appointment system involves phoning the practice (if you go in to get an appointment you will be turned away no matter how ill you are), then wait for a GP (you appear to have no choice as to who this will be) to call you back and decide whether or not they will see you. This process takes no account of the urgency of the problem or that the person ringing might actually have other commitments, like a job! If they need to "ration" appointments it might be an idea to stop taking on new patients.

In my experience, the doctors seek the minimum information from the patient, make assumptions on that basis and get the patient out as quickly as possible - I do not want to take up their time with a chat but taking a few minutes more to get all the information the patient has about their condition might actually help to better assess the appropriate treatment for that person. On this basis, snap judgements are made ... its because you smoke, are overweight, don't take enough exercise etc. It feels like they are more concerned with ticking the box for having discussed the latest heath issue or target with the patient rather than addressing that individual person's specific problem. This is a concern because it leaves you with very little confidence in the diagnosis and treatment you are given.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your experience when attempting to make a doctor's appointment. Also for your feelings about your consultation. It is very true that we are required to gather specific information relating to patients, and as you say, boxes have to be ticked. We are sorry you feel your specific problem was not addressed or taken seriously. Comments relating to consultations are passed to our medical staff to ensure they are aware of patient views. I do hope your future experience with our appointment system improves and please contact me if this is not the case.

tensi gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

Don't register here !

They don't want to book any appointments at the front desk or on the phone, because they are fully booked on the date ( but I've asked for an appointment in 2 weeks time, not on the date !) , and as a pregnant patient you have to have your normal checks !

The staff is incapable and treat the patients with apathy when you ask for your rights !

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 23 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Thank you for your comment. Customer service is very important to us and your comments will be discussed with our reception staff. As you know. all patients requiring to see a Gp do have to telephone on the day they wish to be seen and speak directly to a doctor. In your case the doctor would then arrange an ante-natal appointment for that day.