Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre

Telephone: 020 8275 6410
Address: Somerset Gdns Fam Hth Ctr, 4 Creighton Road, Tottenham, London, N17 8NW
Website: Website address not added

Glenn Calderwood gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

Breach of patient record confidentiality?

This week when making an appointment to see a nurse practitioner, someone labelled "dispenser" went on the patent record system in reception. Is this either ethical or evel legal? I worry about my records now.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 13 December 2014

Aila gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 5 stars

Very professional

What I liked

When i needed an emergency appointment ( i found a lump in my breast) they booked me for the same day, actually 1 hour after !!!
Staff very friendly, give good advice and take time with each patient.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 26 November 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Thank you for your positive comment. It is good that we have been able to offer you excellent care. It really helps the team's motivation when we receive positive feedback.

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 2 stars

Getting an appointment is a nightmare

The surgery operates a telephone booking system which requires you to phone early in the morning and then wait for a doctor to phone you back. Most times the phone is busy and by the time you get through all available appointments are taken. Several times I have been told that there are not enough GPs available to see anything but emergencies. This despite the fact there are at least 8 GPs at the practice. Appalling! And they encouraging new patients to register.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 05 December 2014

Impossible. ...

Been tryin to make an appointment for the past 3 days and everytime I call its busy and when they finally pick up I get told that I have to call the next day. .. Had to go to A&E to actually see someone because I can never be able to get an appointment here....
I try not to use this gp because you could be dying and they still wont see you and they will tell you to call back between 8-9pm.. It's impossible to see a gp.
I wouldn't recommend this gp to anyone, it's a hassle and inconvenience.
I actually have an allergic reaction all over face and body to something for which the A&E department told me I need to go to my gp to book an appointment to see a dermatologist by yhe time I actually get an appointment my reaction would've probably gone n the gp wouldn't even know what it was..
It's a pathetic telephone system that needs to either improve or change. ....

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 18 December 2014

Improvement needed at Somerset Gardens

I have been a patient at the surgery for over twenty years. Seeing a doctor at the surgery is nigh impossible. Everyone is told to ring at 8.00 am; the line is constantly engaged and if you do get throught to speak to someone you are told ring on the next day all allocations are gone. Patients are not able to book an appointment with a doctor because the doctor decides whether the patients call warrants an appointment. I am distressed trying to speak to a doctor at the surgery. The service they offer is appalling especially if you have a serious condition.

The Health Authority should investigate this surgery.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 13 November 2014

Anonymous reviewed Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre

Rude GP

I, along with my young children have been registered with this practice for many years and cannot fault the care given to us by our usual doctor. My son and his sister were recently unwell and I had to make last minute appointments for them to be seen by a different doctor at the practice. Out of necessity rather than choice I had to bring their other young sibling along to appointment. I found this doctor to been unprofessional and extremely rude. During the consultation I was harshly told to 'control my babies!' And that they were 'not responsible for them' when they were understandably upset and were unable to sit still for long following the long wait time and being confined in the doctor's room. This is what young children do when they are sick and presented with an unknown environment. The GP's lack of compassion and rudeness brought me to tears and made what was already a stressful worrying situation even worse. I have read the other many negative reviews left by other patients and the fact that the Somerset Gardens Practice has not responded to any of the reviews says it all really doesn't it?

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

We do understand how difficult it can be for parents when they are unable to get care for their well children when seeing a GP. It is very difficult too for GP's trying to treat an ill child when they are aware of a mother's stress and distraction having to control the siblings. We are very sorry you feel the doctor was unprofessional and rude, but we do hope your two sick children's problems have resolved.

Very possibly the worst GP practice in London

Getting an appointment to see a GP at this practice has been a struggle for years. It has put me off attempting to see a doctor until the situation becomes urgent.

The latest appointment system involves phoning the practice (if you go in to get an appointment you will be turned away no matter how ill you are), then wait for a GP (you appear to have no choice as to who this will be) to call you back and decide whether or not they will see you. This process takes no account of the urgency of the problem or that the person ringing might actually have other commitments, like a job! If they need to "ration" appointments it might be an idea to stop taking on new patients.

In my experience, the doctors seek the minimum information from the patient, make assumptions on that basis and get the patient out as quickly as possible - I do not want to take up their time with a chat but taking a few minutes more to get all the information the patient has about their condition might actually help to better assess the appropriate treatment for that person. On this basis, snap judgements are made ... its because you smoke, are overweight, don't take enough exercise etc. It feels like they are more concerned with ticking the box for having discussed the latest heath issue or target with the patient rather than addressing that individual person's specific problem. This is a concern because it leaves you with very little confidence in the diagnosis and treatment you are given.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your experience when attempting to make a doctor's appointment. Also for your feelings about your consultation. It is very true that we are required to gather specific information relating to patients, and as you say, boxes have to be ticked. We are sorry you feel your specific problem was not addressed or taken seriously. Comments relating to consultations are passed to our medical staff to ensure they are aware of patient views. I do hope your future experience with our appointment system improves and please contact me if this is not the case.

tensi gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

Don't register here !

They don't want to book any appointments at the front desk or on the phone, because they are fully booked on the date ( but I've asked for an appointment in 2 weeks time, not on the date !) , and as a pregnant patient you have to have your normal checks !

The staff is incapable and treat the patients with apathy when you ask for your rights !

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 23 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Thank you for your comment. Customer service is very important to us and your comments will be discussed with our reception staff. As you know. all patients requiring to see a Gp do have to telephone on the day they wish to be seen and speak directly to a doctor. In your case the doctor would then arrange an ante-natal appointment for that day.

Waste of time

This surgery is a waste of time and additional stress to your health condition. Whoever considers to register there i strongly advise you think about it twice. The booking system is a joke and seems to only work for those who sit at home all the time it is not helpful or available for those who work full time. The doctors never give you enough time to carefully listen to what your problem is and only seem to know paracetamol as a remedy for everything! I have suffered really bad back aches for some time now and was prescribed with paracetamol-joke !they rely on assumptions rather then refer for further examination and give you as minimal time as possible which doesn't even allow you to fully express what the symptoms are etc. one of the doctors I saw not long ago totally ignored the recommendation from A&E for a scan when I suffered from prolonged abdominal pain and did not even give me eye contact for the duration of my appointment when i spoke to them, no social skills whatsoever rude and with an attitude as soon as I entered the room and before I said anything. Each time I visited this surgery I left frustrated and on the verge of crying as I felt not listened to and ignored which is not how you should feel when you seek help from health professionals who should at least show empathy. Going to doctors is not anybody's pleasure you go there because you have a reason therefore you should be treated with respect this has not been my experience in this surgery so I would never recommend it anyone! today I re- registered with another one with positive reviews so hopefully ill be more satisfied.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 29 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. The appointment system we now have in place allows our GP's contact with many more patients than any previous system. We also offer appointments early morning and late evenings for working patients. We see you have now re-registered with another practice which we hope is more acceptable to you.

Mary Powell gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

User unfriendly appointment system

The telephone based appointment system introduced last year is no improvement. Have to call between 8 am to 10 am to ask the doctor to call back, and then I MAY get an appointment that day. Not much use to anyone who is working for starters, as it may not be possible to take the return call when it happens or leave work at short notice to come to an appointment they deign to give. Even if not working, this is a disruptive system.

When I was contacted last week by the surgery to say the GP wanted me to make an appointment, I called back in an afternoon only to be told that the receptionist could not book an appointment, I had to call back next morning 8-10 am to make my appointment, EVEN THOUGH it was the GP asking ME to make an appointment.

When I do try to call between 8 and 10 am it takes ages to get through and then it may be 1 pm or later before the GP calls. GP often tries to deal with the issue over the phone rather than make a face to face appointment. When they do want me to come in for an appointment, it has to be on that day as I cannot book in advance.

This is a totally user unfriendly system. Reception staff are clearly very busy but are often not willing to listen or be flexible. They will just repeat the line about having to call in before 10 am to request a call back from the GP who will then offer an appointment if they think it necessary. I have been made to feel as if I am a nuisance or a worthless person but my experience of this appointment system.

It is not realistic at the moment for me to register at another surgery for a number of personal reasons, but I will probably do so as soon as it is practical for me to make this change.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 September 2014

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 04 December 2014

Your comments are very useful to us, and although this appointment system suits many more patients than any previous system, we can totally see the frustrations you encountered. Patient feedback allows us to adjust our way of working and changes will be incorporated as necessary. For working patients as yourself the doctors do offer early morning and later evening appointments which would have been more acceptable to you. Please contact me directly if you encounter any further problems. Practice Manager