Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre

020 8275 6410 Somerset Gdns Fam Hth Ctr, 4 Creighton Road, Tottenham , London, N17 8NW

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

Big mess in reception and surgery!

Its not a first time having problem with Somerset Gardens. Today I Called to book appointment, and I'm told 2:30. I went there at 2:15. Waiting till 2:45. I went to the reception desk and I was informed that my appointment is at 3:30 because the nurse doesn't have time! The receptionist didn't even say sorry for your waiting! At 3 I ask again, and the receptionist said they will try to push me before other patient. And they then said they would speak to nurse! But I'm not blind, the receptionist was sitting just at reception! At 3:15 I ask again and the receptionist said there is still someone in there, but I will be next! At 3:45 I went again to reception to ask if the receptionist is playing some kind of game with me? The receptionist said, no, but there is still someone with nurse! I ask how is it possible that nurse is seeing one person for 50min!!! The receptionist didn't say anything!! So I just leave, because I got home, kids, work! I don't have time to waste!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 01 August 2016

Ella gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

System and Receptionists are appalling

I've ended up calling 96 times while at work to try and book an appointment. I was unfortunate enough and unable to even have a telephone consultation as all appointments were book and I was told to call back the following day. This is a system that only benefits the unemployed and definitely not working people.
Shocking. It's a shame as I do believe the GPs are quite good.
Receptionists behaviour is appalling to say the least: a receptionist keeps on rolling their eyes as you speak with them and they are ever so abrupt. It's not the best welcome a person could get.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 04 June 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 08 June 2016

Thank you so much for letting us know of your difficulty getting through to our Admin Staff, and we can see how frustrating this has been for you. Our staff do try to answer incoming calls as quickly as possible and since this appointment system was introduced in November 2013 double the number of patients have been able to have consultations with our GP's. We were aware at that time that our telephone capacity had to be increased but BT have taken until 13 June 2016 to install the fibre to allow more lines to be installed. We do hope you will find an improvement in the future.

Our staff have been made aware of your findings as we do wish to offer a welcoming and efficient reception to all our patients.

Thank you once again for taking the time to let us know of your findings

Concern about booking appointments

The main concern I have with this practice is to do with the way patients are required to book their appointments. I found this unsafe and unfit for purpose.

Currently, all patients are required to call between 8 am and 10.30 am in order to book an appointment – urgent or regular. You cannot book your regular appointments in advance. The danger with this approach is that everyone –those needing both, an urgent and regular appointment - calls at the same thus making it impossible to get through to the operator as the line is constantly busy between the timeframe of 8 am and 10.30 am. Once you get through (if you do – I never did) it apparently works fine and you will get your appointment, however, the biggest issue lies with getting through to them.

It might be good idea for the practice to streamline the calls in order to ensure patient safety and service quality are met sufficiently by opening two phone lines – one for urgent, and the other one for regular appointments, while at the same time keeping their 8 am to 10.30 timeframe for booking appointments. In this way, patients would get better chances of getting through to the operator, in particular vulnerable patients and those needing an urgent appointment. In addition, providing an online platform for booking regular appointments with a doctor may also help to relive some of the phone calls and allow for alternative ways of booking appointments that some patients might prefer.

Other than booking appointments, I found the practice satisfactory.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 08 June 2016

We would like to thank you for your observations relating to our appointment booking system. We are so sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered but we would say that most patients are able to get through to us. We are also aware though that others have experienced similar problems to yours. This appointment system has allowed double the number of patients to contact a doctor, and we were aware in November 2013 when it started that we required more telephone lines. Unfortunately, BT have taken until next week, 13 June 2016, to install the necessary onsite fibre work. We feel this should improve our patient experience.

We are so very sorry that your experience was not up to the standard we would like to provide, and the suggestions you have made will be raised at our next Patient Particiation Group Meeting.

Nurses and Health Care Assistant appointments may be booked on line, and prescriptions also may be ordered on line and sent electronically to your Pharmacy of choice.

The Practice Manager is always available to discuss any issues you may have and once again thank you for bringing to our attention.

Julie Catlin gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 5 stars

Professionalism of the receptionist to help.

14/07/2016. Telephoned the clinic this morning. got through on second attempt, which was very pleased with. Explained my situation, thought I would need to talk to the Doctor, but receptionist was able to help me direct. The receptionist made a phone call to enquire about and hospital appointment and called me back with-in the hour, with an answer, that solved my original query. The receptionist was also very pleasant in their manner. Ever since we came to this surgery everyone has been great, receptionist, nurses and doctor's, all very pleasant and have dealt with any matter or question to an excellent standard. I would and have highly recommended the surgery to people. If you wish to use this information you may.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 July 2016

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 3 stars

Appointments!!!

I was pressing re dial this morning from 8.00am until 9.25am and after 316 calls got to speak to the receptionist who dealt with my call very well but its outrageous that I had to call that many times in order to get an answer.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 14 April 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 08 June 2016

We have been aware that some patients have great difficulty in getting through to us on the telephone. We intended to increase our call capacity when this appointment system started but unfortunately it has taken BT over two years to install the necessary facilities to enable more telephone lines to be installed.

Our Admin Staff do their best to answer calls as quickly as possible and we do hope you won't experience such a delay in future.

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 4 stars

Good surgery with some improvements needed

Three members of my family reggistered in with this surgery. While some gps better than others we have been looked after.
However, if you want to book apointment for the same day its very difficult to get through but once you do you generally get a follow up call and they give you an apointment for same day.
The reception staff very poorly in customer service. They make you feel like they are doing you a favour! They should be informative, helpful and friendly. They are recruiting for patient participation group and didnt have any info. I wonder if they really want to improve the practice

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 07 March 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 08 June 2016

Thank you for your very helpful comments.

We are aware that it is sometimes difficult to get through to our surgery when our telephone lines are very busy. We have been waiting for over two years for BT to provide extra capacity and hopefully this will be installed very soon.

Regarding your comments regarding our Customer Service, it is very disappointing for us to read what you have to say, and we apologise for your experience. We do spend time training our staff and they will be made aware of your findings. We agree they should be informative, helpful and friendly, and this we do try to achieve. We do hope you will see improvements in the future.

If you email us on somersetgardens@nhs.net we will be happy to send you details of our Patient Participation Group.

Anonymous gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 1 stars

Doesn't get any worse than this

If you need to see a doctor at this surgery forget it . The appointment system is ridiculous. Staff here enjoy making life as difficult for patients as possible. Even when blood test results come back and you need to speak to the Doctor about them they still won't give you an appointment. All you get is call back tomorrow. Seriously go somewhere else.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 05 April 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 08 June 2016

We are sorry to read your comments and would like to say that most patients are happy with consulting over the telephone with the doctor. When tests are requested and normal results are received, the doctor will insert comments which the Admin Staff can relay to the patient. For test results which need further advice the patient will be added to that doctor's list.

For your particular problem the Practice Manager would like to speak to you to regarding this experience in order that we may improve our service to you.

Waste of time!

I have been a patient at this surgery all my life and to say this is a shabby service is an under statement!
I mean when did getting any kind of help from your doctor get so hard?

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre has not yet replied.

Theresa Collins gave Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre a rating of 5 stars

My extra efficient treatment this morning

I would like to thank the team who looked after me this morning. I was called to my appointment on time, at 9.15am. I was seen by the Practice Nurse, I could not have the test I attended for due to feeling unwell. I was seen immediately by a G.P who provided me with the relevant, medication, and letters to attend the hospital for further tests. I am very grateful, that I was treated promptly, and with dignity and respect. On the way out I made a new appointment with the receptionist who was cheerful and helpful and finally the pharmacist, who took my prescription, to which it was dealt with immediately. Overall I had a very satisfactory experience at this practice, delivered by a great team.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

Somerset Gardens Family Health Care Centre replied on 08 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you were happy with the treatment you received earlier this year. We do hope you are keeping well and that we can provide you with the same service if you have to contact us in future

Avoid if you can

I have been a patient of this surgery for more than a decade, because it is simply down the road from my house. But the service is really, really difficult to access. Getting an appointment at a convenient time (i.e. not necessarily on the same day, particularly for non-emergencies) is impossible. Once you gain access to the doctors, the care is good, mostly, but trying to see a doctor is very difficult.

I am very concerned about their administration, having found a load of letters that had been dumped in the road, addressed to women and stuffed into envelopes in such a way that you could clearly see they were writing to women who were pregnant. I was invited by letter twice in to have a smear test, and duly booked an appointment, only to be told that I was too early, and that they couldn't do the test for another three months!

In summary, the medical care is ok, but the reception and administration is appalling.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 23 February 2016