Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street

Address: (Main Surgery), 48 Burney Street, Greenwich, SE10 8EX
Website: http://www.burneystreetpractice.co.uk

ss gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely appalling service

The receptionist are rude and blunt with no manners. If being ill isn't enough , contacting them is another pain you have to go through.

On the answer service, when calling this gp service , it states 'if you don't want to tell the receptionist the reason for calling, say it is personal', but the receptionists still insist on you telling them when you do this.
It always comes to literally spelling out every detail , just like to a trainee who is new on the job.

The whole service is outdated , with records being lost or taking weeks to find, with excuses used like "they are being passed between our two surgeries", It is like this surgery is suck in the late 70's.
They do not read medical notes properly and seem to think they have the right to tell you your condition rather than a Dr ! Alarmingly, when an emergency call from the Dr is needed, they do not take it seriously and treat everyone as if they are over exaggerating and making false reasons .

The appointments are hard to get within 2 weeks and the Dr only makes emergency calls before 1pm each day, otherwise you have to call again early next morning and start the tedious process again .
The entire staff have bad attitudes , at one visit I heard one receptionist curse a patient behind his back.
The receptionists treat and talk to patients like naughty school children .
Utterly outrageous .

Do your health a favour and choose a different GP . 0 out of 10 - this review also applies to their other branch - Burney Street Practice @ Wallace Health Centre.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear that your experience with contacting the surgery has been a less than positive one. We are alarmed to hear that you have witnessed one of the receptionists speaking ill of a patient and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so that we can ensure this does not happen again. We are constantly striving to meet the demands of patients in giving them access to GP's in a number of ways.

We have a duty doctor service every morning from 8.30am to 11.00am. You can call during this time and request to speak to a GP if you have an urgent medical need and you will be placed on a list. The GP call's in stict order that the calls are placed on the list. The GP will triage the situation and if they feel that you need to be seen in the surgery, you will be offered an appointment on the same day.

As this service is for urgent medical needs, the GP's request that our receptionists ask the nature of the call, so that they can be assured that they are only dealing with urgent calls. They also read notes for any existing medical conditions before making the calls. They can make between 50-70 calls a day, so time is precious and this does help considerably. We do however understand that you may not want to specify the nature of the call, and to say it is personal is acceptable. We do not expect our staff to persue this, and again we would welcome more information on your experience so that we can speak to the receptionist involved.

If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to call the surgery and ask to speak to the Practice Manager or her assistant.

Helen gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Quick when you need urgent treatment

I called up the surgery when I needed an appointment following a suspected tropical disease. They were excellent on the telephone and got me an appointment later that day. I was referred immediately to the Hospital of Tropical Diseases who told me that I would be called up for an appointment in a few weeks. When I passed this message back to the doctors they promptly dealt with the hospital directly to ensure that I was seen sooner. I have recently joined this practice and can not complain at all by the service that I have received. The staff who answer the telephones are friendly and professional and it seems that if you need an urgent appointment they will be accommodating. Something other practices should strive to achieve.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 29 July 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 31 July 2014

Hello Helen
We want to thank you for leaving such lovely feedback about the practice. We are pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. Our staff strive to ensure they deliver the best service they can and we have forwarded your comment onto them so they feel rewarded for their hard work.

Once again, thank you.

Harry gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

On hold for 30 minutes before hanging up

I just tried to call up to register at this GP surgery. Having called up, I was on hold for 30 minutes and did not get an answer. Eventually I decided to hang up without waiting as I had used up most of my lunch break. I am more than happy to hold for 5-10 minutes but I think 30 minutes + is an unacceptable amount of time to keep your patients on hold for.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 02 June 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 26 June 2014

Hello Harry. We are concerned to hear that you had to wait so long for your telephone call to be answered by the surgery. Our aim is to respond to all calls in a reasonable time. 30 minutes is unacceptable, and I apologise that you had to wait for this amount of time.

We would like to investigate this further to see if there may have been a technical issue or training need for our staff.

If you would like to make contact with me to disuss this further, I would be happy to look at our telephone records and try to give you an explanation on why this happened.

Allison Andrews - PA to Practice Manager

Recommended

I had to look up the full address for Burney Street and when I googled up popped these reviews and I just wanted to add a bit of balance...

I'm a Doctor myself (though not a GP) and my primary concern when choosing a GP surgery is the quality of the medical care I receive. I have (unfortunately!) had to use the surgery a lot since I joined both for myself and my son and all the permanent staff and most of the locums I have seen have been very good - one or two are really exceptional.

The other consideration is always access and convenience and I think this is where a lot of the criticisms in the other reviews come from. We have always been able to get an appointment when it has been urgent. Non-emergency care has been more difficult with sometimes a long wait for blood tests or a routine GP appointment, which can be frustrating, but is not life threatening ;) The online booking of repeat prescriptions has been a long time coming, but is there now, which is great.

As regards receptionists, 90% of the time it has been fine. It is a difficult job at times for them - they are gatekeepers to the GPs and often bear the brunt of patient's worries / frustrations. They also can't give appointments that don't exist and can't answer more than one phone call at a time. I realise that doesn't excuse the times when they are rude (especially if you have just walked in and haven't done anything wrong!), but it's the same at any GP practice in my experience.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 18 March 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback which is always welcomed! Your comment has been shared with all staff.

We strive to offer the best service we can, but fully understand that demands cannot be met on occassion and this is frustrating for all concerned, but we will always try and do our best to accommodate a patients needs.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments.

Above Par GP

After reading some of the negative comments about this practice (deciding to look after seeing one through my work), I decided to sum up my own care under the GP.

I have been a patient with this practice since 2001 and whilst I have had a couple of problems with this GP practice, I find that the GP is an excellent surgery most of the time.

I am able to get an appointment most of the time when needed, and a few times, I have even been able to get a same day appointment. Though there is the occasional time when I am unable to get an appointment when I would like, I do understand that the GP practice doesn't just cater to my needs and there are loads others who also need / would like an appointment at the same time.

The contracted GPs are excellent doctors. If the Doctors are unsure about something, they always ask for a second opinion from another GP or consult one of the many books in the practice room. I find that the only GPs I seem to have a problem with when I book an appointment is the odd (not all) locum GPs who tend to brush you off and make you feel like you have wasted your time

Whilst I have had similar problems with some of the reception staff, I do find that most of the staff are very welcoming and always have a friendly attitude - with one who is always helpful.

From what I have heard from other's within the Greenwich borough, I am glad that Burney Street is my GP as there are other GPs that have much less standard of care.

Whilst I have added a couple of negative comments, please note that I am pleased with the GP practice and would not be rushing to change my GP any time soon.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 19 February 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 24 February 2014

Hello. We thank you for taking the time to leave a such positive feedback on our practice. We are pleased to hear that you are generally happy with the service you receive. The practice welcomes all feedback as we rely on this to learn and improve our services. This will be passed onto all members of staff.
Thank you once again.

Receptionist not pleasant

It is unfortunate that the receptionist does not seem to have any common courtesy or understanding with patients coming through the door which could be very unwell. It is a real worry that there seem to be so many reports on here of the same bad experiences and still nothing seems to have happened to change this receptionist's unpleasant behavior. I came in to the surgery in November last year and was greeted a person who was somewhat too busy to see to me and extremely un-engaging. I have since visited only the other day to be seen by the same person who again was very dismissive and made me feel very unwelcome and l left feeling frustrated, upset and angry.

A receptionist, i'm sure others will agree, requires a friendly, positive personality who can be cheerful and patient towards patients who could be feeling very unwell and in a low state of mind.

Unfortunately I cannot say what the GP's are like as I have not go that far, which is a shame as the negative review so far is at the front desk!

Please, please ensure actions are taken to give patients more respect.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 18 January 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 21 January 2014

Hello. We are very sorry to hear of your experience with our receptionists. Please be assured that we take all comments, whether good or bad seriously. Unfortunately, I am unable to contact you directly as you have left your comment anonymously. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact the practice. Regards, Allison Andrews

Excellent practice

Despite some of the negative reviews, I have had no problems at all. The doctors I have seen have always been extremely knowledgeable

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 14 January 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 14 January 2014

Hello. Thank you so much for leaving a positive review of the Practice. We welcome feedback whether negative or positive, and use these in training to improve our services. We will make sure that everyone is aware of your comment.

GP feedback

I've been going to this practice for 5 years and the doctors have always been great. I'm afraid I cannot say the same about one of the reception staff. Their manners are very aggressive over the phone and in person, sound angry and scary and every time I've tried to book an appointment over the phone they were so rude that they've made me cry a few times. I cannot understand how no one is doing anything about them. Also, once they made me wait to give me an appointment until they had 2 toast with jam and a hot drink, have breakfast at home and treat people better!

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 09 January 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 10 January 2014

Hello. We are deeply concerned to hear of your experience with one of our receptionists at the practice. Please be assured that we do take all feedback seriously whether it is negative or positive and this is not the type of behaviour that we condone. As you have entered your comments anonymously, I am unable to make contact with you. I would therefore like to invite you to contact me at the surgery to discuss this further so that the appropriate action can be taken. Kind regards, Allison - PA to Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

I also just waked out of this place because of reception

I just moved to the area and had an large and painful abscess burst over the weekend and would like a dr. to have a look. Called about registering and trying to get an emergency appointment and was told to come down and fill out paperwork and they would see what they could do. Upon arrival I asked was it possible for me to register this afternoon and get an AM emergency appointment(We've moved about a 5 minute walk away) and reception told me that I should go back to my old practice where I used to live and not to register there yet. I'm confused. Completely different from what I was told on the phone and I think I was talking to the same person. Quite a first impression!

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 25 November 2013

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 12 December 2013

Hello
Thank you for taking time to add your comment to NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear of your first experience during your visit to our surgery. We welcome feedback whether positive or negative as it enables us to see where we can improve on our services.

As the comment you placed was anonymous, we have been unable to speak to you directly to discuss this further. On speaking to the reception team we were able to identify the receptionist involved in this circumstance and have found that she genuinely thought she was acting on your best interest, as you had already been in pain over the weekend. Registration with the practice can take up to 48 hours, and it was the receptionists understanding that you had been offered an appointment at your previous surgery. Whilst we were happy to register you with us, she didn't want you to miss the opportunity to be seen on that particular day and make you wait any longer while the registration was in process. We sincerely did not mean to cause any further distress in this situation and hope that you will consider our practice in the very near future. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

receptionists are purely rude.

They are rude and aggressive. I wanted to register temporarily but was shouted at and interogated. They were attempting to force me into registering permanentaly which I was not going to do and after much debate I finally got my way. However, the doctor was reasonable and the nurse which I had a blood test with was lovely, which made having blood taken a little more bearable!

Visited in March 2012. Posted on 11 November 2013

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 12 December 2013

Hello. Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices.

We are sorry to hear of your experience with our reception team during your visit to the surgery. As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to speak to you directly and find out more about this situation. We welcome all feedback whether positive or negative and use this in training our staff.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you if you would like to. If so, please do call the surgery to speak to the Practice Manager or her PA.