Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street

Telephone: 020 8858 0631
Address: (Main Surgery), 48 Burney Street, Greenwich, SE10 8EX
Website: http://www.burneystreetpractice.co.uk

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

The best surgery I have been to

I felt sad to read the negative comments. This surgery is fantastic. The reception staff could not be more helpful and it is not hard to get an appointment. I am very satisfied. 5 stars

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 12 September 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 22 September 2014

Hello
We are pleased to hear that you are happy with our service and appreciate that you have taken the time to enter such a lovely review of the practice. We truly appreciate this and will ensure staff are made aware.
The Partners of Burney Street Practice

Terrible Administration

Whilst the doctors at this practice are lovely, they are utterly let down by the reception and booking staff who are terrible. Getting through on the phone, particularly on a Monday, takes 10-30mins. Once you do the service is superb for small children (as it should be!) but pretty terrible for adults. Worse yet, the booking staff seem to have no idea what they are doing; they booked me in for bloodwork with a nurse who was not authorized to do bloods. Only when I showed up for the appointment two weeks later did they realise the error. No attempt was made to apologise or to slot me in for a new appointment. I was simply offered the option of waiting another two weeks and hoping that they had gotten it right this time.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 25 September 2014

Hello
We are sorry to hear of your experience with Burney Street Practice. We assure you that we strive to provide the best possible care to all of our patients and continue to look at areas of development with all our staff.

The Practice currently has a patient list of over 15000 over the two sites, Burney Street & Wallace Health Centre. Monday's are always exceptionally busy as patients are more likely to call after feeling unwell over the weekend. We have put on extra staff to try and meet the demands of calls to the practice, however this does remain an issue and we are constantly looking at ways to improve on this.

We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you to ascertain why you were booked in with a nurse that could not do bloods, we would also need to look at why you had to wait a further two weeks for a blood appointment, as these are usually available within a week.

As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to approach you directly. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the surgery on 0208 858 0631.

Appalling

My husband has just visited this surgery with a few minor problems (it takes 10 days to see someone so no wonder people make the most of the appointment!) which aren't serious but need resolving. He was made to feel like a liar and the GP unbelivably became angry with my husband when he insisted there was a problem. This has in fact happened before and my husband then went to get a 2nd opinion at a doctors in his hometown and they diagnosed and almost sorted the issue. In fact, that doctor said it was obvious from a basic inspection. However, the GP said at this surgeryn that they could see nothing wrong at all and made my husband feel like a hyperchondriac. All in all, bad medical and people skills. That combined with the rude receptionists make this surgery extremely unpleasant. I have also had the same dismissive treatment when asked for advice on bad period pains, I was fobbed off with painkillers. I then went private and was diagnosed with fibroids and Asherman's syndrome, well done Burney Street!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Hello
We are sorry to hear of your experience with Burney Street Practice. We assure you that we strive to provide the best possible care to all of our patients, so are concerned that you have had the problems mentioned in your comment.

As you have entered this anonymously, we are unable to identify the doctor concerned to approach them on this. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the surgery on 0208 858 0631.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

Receptionists were ok but not the GPs

I thought that the receptionists were very helpful.

However when seeing different GPs for a condition recently I didn't feel like I was treated with respect, as they seem to think that I was making the symptoms up. One sent me away and said to rest and I later had to access emergency medical care.

When I mentioned severe pain most recently the GP changed the subject twice and asked about something else, and said to take aspirin for the fever- which I didn't have!- so presumably they hadn't been bothered to listen to what was wrong at all.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 September 2014

ss gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely appalling service

The receptionist are rude and blunt with no manners. If being ill isn't enough , contacting them is another pain you have to go through.

On the answer service, when calling this gp service , it states 'if you don't want to tell the receptionist the reason for calling, say it is personal', but the receptionists still insist on you telling them when you do this.
It always comes to literally spelling out every detail , just like to a trainee who is new on the job.

The whole service is outdated , with records being lost or taking weeks to find, with excuses used like "they are being passed between our two surgeries", It is like this surgery is suck in the late 70's.
They do not read medical notes properly and seem to think they have the right to tell you your condition rather than a Dr ! Alarmingly, when an emergency call from the Dr is needed, they do not take it seriously and treat everyone as if they are over exaggerating and making false reasons .

The appointments are hard to get within 2 weeks and the Dr only makes emergency calls before 1pm each day, otherwise you have to call again early next morning and start the tedious process again .
The entire staff have bad attitudes , at one visit I heard one receptionist curse a patient behind his back.
The receptionists treat and talk to patients like naughty school children .
Utterly outrageous .

Do your health a favour and choose a different GP . 0 out of 10 - this review also applies to their other branch - Burney Street Practice @ Wallace Health Centre.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear that your experience with contacting the surgery has been a less than positive one. We are alarmed to hear that you have witnessed one of the receptionists speaking ill of a patient and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so that we can ensure this does not happen again. We are constantly striving to meet the demands of patients in giving them access to GP's in a number of ways.

We have a duty doctor service every morning from 8.30am to 11.00am. You can call during this time and request to speak to a GP if you have an urgent medical need and you will be placed on a list. The GP call's in stict order that the calls are placed on the list. The GP will triage the situation and if they feel that you need to be seen in the surgery, you will be offered an appointment on the same day.

As this service is for urgent medical needs, the GP's request that our receptionists ask the nature of the call, so that they can be assured that they are only dealing with urgent calls. They also read notes for any existing medical conditions before making the calls. They can make between 50-70 calls a day, so time is precious and this does help considerably. We do however understand that you may not want to specify the nature of the call, and to say it is personal is acceptable. We do not expect our staff to persue this, and again we would welcome more information on your experience so that we can speak to the receptionist involved.

If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to call the surgery and ask to speak to the Practice Manager or her assistant.

Helen gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Quick when you need urgent treatment

I called up the surgery when I needed an appointment following a suspected tropical disease. They were excellent on the telephone and got me an appointment later that day. I was referred immediately to the Hospital of Tropical Diseases who told me that I would be called up for an appointment in a few weeks. When I passed this message back to the doctors they promptly dealt with the hospital directly to ensure that I was seen sooner. I have recently joined this practice and can not complain at all by the service that I have received. The staff who answer the telephones are friendly and professional and it seems that if you need an urgent appointment they will be accommodating. Something other practices should strive to achieve.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 29 July 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 31 July 2014

Hello Helen
We want to thank you for leaving such lovely feedback about the practice. We are pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. Our staff strive to ensure they deliver the best service they can and we have forwarded your comment onto them so they feel rewarded for their hard work.

Once again, thank you.

Harry gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

On hold for 30 minutes before hanging up

I just tried to call up to register at this GP surgery. Having called up, I was on hold for 30 minutes and did not get an answer. Eventually I decided to hang up without waiting as I had used up most of my lunch break. I am more than happy to hold for 5-10 minutes but I think 30 minutes + is an unacceptable amount of time to keep your patients on hold for.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 02 June 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 26 June 2014

Hello Harry. We are concerned to hear that you had to wait so long for your telephone call to be answered by the surgery. Our aim is to respond to all calls in a reasonable time. 30 minutes is unacceptable, and I apologise that you had to wait for this amount of time.

We would like to investigate this further to see if there may have been a technical issue or training need for our staff.

If you would like to make contact with me to disuss this further, I would be happy to look at our telephone records and try to give you an explanation on why this happened.

Allison Andrews - PA to Practice Manager

Tricia gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic nurses & GPs

Like some other reviewers I was very surprised to read negative comments about this fantastic surgery. Yes the receptionists can be a little frustrating and stand off-ish at times but I can see that they might often need to be. So brusque, maybe, but rude and surly never. The quality of GP care I get (and my 2 year old gets) is fantastic and the nursing care in particular is brilliant. My experience of getting appointments is good - very occasionally I've been offered over a week, but with an option of a doctor's call back. Otherwise, it's nearly always within 3 days. I would highly recommend the Burney Street practice and feel lucky to have them nearby.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 17 September 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 22 September 2014

Hello Tricia
We just wanted to thank you personally for taking the time to enter such a lovely review of our practice. We truly appreciate this and will ensure staff are made aware.
The Partners of Burney Street Practice

Recommended

I had to look up the full address for Burney Street and when I googled up popped these reviews and I just wanted to add a bit of balance...

I'm a Doctor myself (though not a GP) and my primary concern when choosing a GP surgery is the quality of the medical care I receive. I have (unfortunately!) had to use the surgery a lot since I joined both for myself and my son and all the permanent staff and most of the locums I have seen have been very good - one or two are really exceptional.

The other consideration is always access and convenience and I think this is where a lot of the criticisms in the other reviews come from. We have always been able to get an appointment when it has been urgent. Non-emergency care has been more difficult with sometimes a long wait for blood tests or a routine GP appointment, which can be frustrating, but is not life threatening ;) The online booking of repeat prescriptions has been a long time coming, but is there now, which is great.

As regards receptionists, 90% of the time it has been fine. It is a difficult job at times for them - they are gatekeepers to the GPs and often bear the brunt of patient's worries / frustrations. They also can't give appointments that don't exist and can't answer more than one phone call at a time. I realise that doesn't excuse the times when they are rude (especially if you have just walked in and haven't done anything wrong!), but it's the same at any GP practice in my experience.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 18 March 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback which is always welcomed! Your comment has been shared with all staff.

We strive to offer the best service we can, but fully understand that demands cannot be met on occassion and this is frustrating for all concerned, but we will always try and do our best to accommodate a patients needs.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments.

Above Par GP

After reading some of the negative comments about this practice (deciding to look after seeing one through my work), I decided to sum up my own care under the GP.

I have been a patient with this practice since 2001 and whilst I have had a couple of problems with this GP practice, I find that the GP is an excellent surgery most of the time.

I am able to get an appointment most of the time when needed, and a few times, I have even been able to get a same day appointment. Though there is the occasional time when I am unable to get an appointment when I would like, I do understand that the GP practice doesn't just cater to my needs and there are loads others who also need / would like an appointment at the same time.

The contracted GPs are excellent doctors. If the Doctors are unsure about something, they always ask for a second opinion from another GP or consult one of the many books in the practice room. I find that the only GPs I seem to have a problem with when I book an appointment is the odd (not all) locum GPs who tend to brush you off and make you feel like you have wasted your time

Whilst I have had similar problems with some of the reception staff, I do find that most of the staff are very welcoming and always have a friendly attitude - with one who is always helpful.

From what I have heard from other's within the Greenwich borough, I am glad that Burney Street is my GP as there are other GPs that have much less standard of care.

Whilst I have added a couple of negative comments, please note that I am pleased with the GP practice and would not be rushing to change my GP any time soon.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 19 February 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 24 February 2014

Hello. We thank you for taking the time to leave a such positive feedback on our practice. We are pleased to hear that you are generally happy with the service you receive. The practice welcomes all feedback as we rely on this to learn and improve our services. This will be passed onto all members of staff.
Thank you once again.