Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street

020 8858 0631 (Main Surgery), 48 Burney Street, Greenwich , SE10 8EX

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Great doctors, appalling reception staff

Once again, absolutely appalled by the lack of care or even basic manners from Burney Street's reception staff. After seeing a brilliant doctor at Wallace Street this morning and being referred for a blood test I was told by an incredibly rude member of staff that there is not one single person who could perform a simple blood test and I would instead have to go elsewhere. This would not be a problem had it been conveyed politely, however this is apparently impossible for Burney Street. Better training for staff with regards to care, or education on manners wouldn't go amiss.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 22 June 2016

Good morning
We are sorry to hear that you have not received the level of service we would expect from our reception staff. Our staff are regularly trained in customer service to ensure they have the appropriate tools for dealing with patients. We apologise if this has not been the case on this occasion.

We currently do not have a phlebotomist on site, so are referring our patients to other service providers in the area which would either be another doctors surgery or Queen Elizabeth Hospital. We hope to have a new phlebotomist in place in the next few weeks.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

GPs are good, if you can get an appointment

It is unfortunate that the reception staff are always so rude to patients on the telephone. It is unclear why.

If you are unwell or concerned about receiving test results, the last thing that you need is to be spoken to you rudely by your local GP surgery and for the staff to behave as though you are an inconvenience in their day. I appreciate that the GP surgery is probably very busy, but I don’t see that as an excuse to not speak to people politely, or to say the odd please / thank you.

I have found the GPs to be very polite and helpful. Unfortunately, however, it is very difficult to get an appointment. The surgery only appears to offer same-day (emergency) appointments or a fortnightly appointment – nothing in between. Two weeks is a long time to wait if you are anxious about a health problem, particularly if you then need to be referred to someone else. It is often over a month before you are then seen by the referral doctor/nurse. Again, the same issue is that when you politely ask if there are any earlier appointments, the reception staff are rude and unhelpful.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 10 May 2016

Hello
Thank you for your comments on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced difficulties with our reception staff.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further as you touch on a number of points. If you would like to discuss this, please call the surgery and ask to speak to myself, Allison Andrews or the Practice Manager, Jennifer Peters.

Regards
Allison

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Dr is a great GP!

Although we rarely see the same GP, every time we see a new one they are excellent. I just wanted to say what a great GP the Dr is - we got an emergency same day appointment for my little girl and they provided a telephone as well as face to face consultation. Excellent manner and good advice.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 04 February 2016

Good morning
We just wanted to pass on our gratitude for leaving such lovely feedback on NHS Choices. This has been passed onto all members of staff for a much needed boost!

We all thank you very much.
The Staff of Burney Street Practice

Really poor appointment planning

Having seen the doctors (3 weeks required for an appointment) to try and get on the minor surgery waiting list i was called whilst at work and couldn't take the call, i did however return the call 31 mins after they left a voicemail to be told that all the bookings were now taken and I'd have to wait till the next month to see if there was a chance i could book it in.

Whilst i understand that they probably are busy, having to wait at least a month now is really poor service, ultimately as like most people I have to work and to lose the appointment because i couldn't take the call (even though I called back within 20 mins, but there was no answer) in such a short turnaround time is really really bad customer service. It's compounded by the fact that if they have 1 day next month they didn't bother to offer me an appointment then, rather just be part of a poor lottery that essentially disadvantages those who work in full time employment.

We're asked to consider the staff and doctors at the surgery but there's no consideration for patients..

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 25 November 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for taking the time to enter your comments on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear of your frustrations with our appointment system.

Unfortunately, as you have entered your comment anonymously, I am unable to make direct contact with you to discuss the situation directly.

Minor surgery appointments are usually held twice a month, but this depends on whether the doctor qualified to carry out these procedures is available. We currently have 123 patients awaiting minor surgery. When the appointments become available (we currently plan 4 weeks ahead) our Health Care Assistant calls patients from the list in strict order. If she doesn't receive an answer, she will move onto the next patient and so on until the session has been booked. We unfortunately, can't leave the slots available awaiting a patient to return the call as this may become a wasted slot.

The reception team should notify the HCA that a call has been returned, and the next available appointment should be offered. If this is not yet on the system, then it is highlighted on the list that they should receive first preference.

Our next available appointment is on Wednesday 6th January 2016 at 4.20pm. I have held this slot. If you would like to give the surgery a call and leave a message for myself confirming your details and that you accept this appointment, then I will make the appointment for you. My name is Allison Andrews. I only work on Thursday's, so if you would like to speak to me in person, then please do give me a call.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

Waiting time for an appointment

The minimum waiting time for a an appointment with the GP is more than 3 weeks.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 27 October 2015

Hello
Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. To clarify your point.......

Our current waiting time for a routine appointment with a GP is 13 days. If you are requesting an appointment with a particular GP, then the lead time to wait for that GP can be longer.

We do offer on the day appointments for anyone that has a medical emergency. We also offer a duty doctor telephone triage service daily, again for anyone that has an urgent medical need.

We also have very experienced practice nurses that generally have appointments available on a daily basis that can deal with general minor illnesses, cuts, bruises, sexual health.

Christina. gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Probably the Best GP Practice in London!

I have been a patient at this surgery for over five years and I am not one for writing reviews but on this occasion I decided to. I cannot agree with the negative reviews posed here. This is been my on-going experience of this practice.

1. Some of the GPs at this surgery I have met are the best you are going to find in
London!
2. Without question they always listen and understand your concerns.
3. They include you in a very clear course of action that is required.
4. They treat you in a professional and courteous manner and are always thorough.
5. This practice including the nurses always put patients first and genuinely cares;
putting you at ease and are so cooperative and friendly.
6. Of course there are times when appointments run a few minutes late but that
happens, it’s not deliberate, it’s not rocket science, this is a very busy practice. In
any case they always apologise, even those fantastic receptionists who are handling numerous telephone calls whilst
checking you in.
7. Like many other patients, I have to remember too that just like us, they are human
and have their difficult days too.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 08 August 2015

Hello
Thank you so much for submitting such a positive review on our practice.

All staff members strive to offer the best service possible in such a difficult time and we truly appreciate it.

T Beaumont gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic surgery

I am amazed by some of the negative reviews for this practice. I've been with it for over 15 years and I have consistently great treatment. Today, I saw an absolutely wonderful nurse for my daughter's pre-school booster - this nurse was brilliant with my daughter, caring and just great at the job. The doctors are always excellent too. Yes, there are occasional issues getting appointments when you want them and it's frustrating but the care is just so good and the problems are minor compared to convenience. There is also an excellent Grab-a-doc service in the borough for anything out of hours or at weekends.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Good morning
Thank you so much for leaving such positive feedback on NHS Choices.
We really do appreciate hearing that the practice and it's staff are doing well, it means a lot to us.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Surgery has been fantastic but today was horrific

Reception staff are friendly and helpful, although always seem so busy.
Doctors have previously been informative, helpful and professional, today's trip I was met with over an hour wait, a rude, unhelpful and unprofessional doctor and no apology for the wait - very disappointed.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear of your experience during your most recent visit and apologise on behalf of the practice that you were kept waiting so long.

There are times when medical emergencies cause the GP's or Nurses to run late with their clinic, but you most certainly should have received an apology for being kept so long.

If you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to do so if you would like to make contact.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

Inability to process vital information on time

Since registering with this surgery I have encountered a litany of errors. I have decided to highlight the issues I experienced so that anyone choosing to register with this surgery is aware of this surgery's shortcomings.

1) Prescription sent to the wrong chemist for collection - even though the correct location was explicitly highlighted on the form.

2) Made an appointment 6 weeks in advance to see a specific doctor. Phoned the day before to check the time of my appointment, and was informed that it had been cancelled by the doctor's secretary. No prior notice was sent to advise me of this, so had I not phoned, I would no doubt have just turned up on the day only to be turned away.

3) Referal letter was promised by a doctor. Rang up one week later to confirm it had been sent. The receptionist informed me that no such letter existed and to call back one week later.

4) The surgery's opening hours are only suitable for those who do not work.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 08 July 2015

Good morning
Thank you for leaving your feedback on NHS Choices. As you have entered your comments anonymously, I am unable to investigate further and make direct contact with you to discuss the issues raised. I would be happy to discuss them further if you would like to call the surgery.

To touch on the points raised :-

Prescription Requests - It has always been the GP's role to do these requests during their day and we have been able to turn these around in 24 hours. However, as the demand is now so high with over 15,000 patients, the lead time on doing the prescriptions is in danger of increasing causing impact to the patient.

The practice has identified the need for creating a role specific to processing prescription requests. We now have a dedicated member of the administration team who is responsible for doing the prescription requests. For those more complex, they are working directly with the GP in ensuring they are done in a timely manner. We are also hoping this irradicates the errors made in the prescriptions being sent to the wrong chemist, as has happened with you and with other patients at the surgery. We are not saying this happens regularly, but it has happened. As this is a new role, it is being closely monitored to see if it is effective for both the patient and the practice.

Cancellation of appointment - The practice policy is to make contact with all patients that are booked in to see a GP or Nurse if the clinician has called in sick or is not available due to unforeseen circumstances. I am sorry if this was not the case with your appointment, and can only comment further on your specific case by speaking with you.

Appointments - We have a range of appointments suitable for everyone. We are open for routine appointments from 7am to 6.30pm Monday to Thursday with the last appointment being at 5.30pm. Fridays, we are open from 8.00am to 6.30pm. We also run a duty doctor telephone triage service for emergencies where the patient can call and be added to a list for a call back. When the practice is closed, a patient can attend a walk-in centre closeby for medical attention.

If you would like to discuss any of this further, we would of course be happy to speak with you directly.

Rushed Along

I waited 4 weeks for an appointment. I arrived on time but as the computer system was down and the receptionists were chatting, I was only attended 2 minutes after my app time. I was called in by the Doctor and greeted with "you are late so this is going to have to be quick" or something to that effect. From them on I was rushed through the appointment and rushed out of the door 9 minutes later.
I pay my tax and only go to the doctor when I need to. Doctors should be trained to have a better attitude. I realise they are under pressure (as most of us are) but that is no excuse for a bad attitude.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 19 May 2015

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 27 May 2015

Good morning
We are concerned to receive your comments posted on NHS Choices with reference to your appointment and the attitude of the GP that you saw.

We would like to be given the opportunity to discuss this in more detail with you. However, we are unable to make direct contact with you as you have left your comments anonymously.

If you would like to discuss this further, please call the surgery on 0208 858 0631 to speak to the Practice Manager.

Regards