Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street

Address: (Main Surgery), 48 Burney Street, Greenwich, SE10 8EX
Website: http://www.burneystreetpractice.co.uk

varusa gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 4 stars

Really Good at sucking Blood

This Practice has the most amazing staff and nurses. They are kind and gentle. I have to say, if there is anybody that I must have my blood drawn from, I would have it be them for their sheer finesse and skill.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 15 April 2015

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street has not yet replied.

S gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Uncaring , lazy & inefficient.

I have evidence and experience of GPs & staff at this surgery -

"deliberately" not updating important facts & information on patients medical files.

They constantly disrupt prescriptions and stop repeat prescriptions without warning or communication.

No real professional help or advice is given without strong insistence from the patient .

Nothing positive to say ... only that you will be happier patient without this surgery.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 25 March 2015

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 30 March 2015

Good afternoon
We are sorry to see your comment on NHS Choices, and would ask that you make contact with the practice to discuss this matter further.

The practice does have protocols in place for prescriptions, and we would be interested to hear of the difficulties you are having so that we can ensure the correct protocol is being followed.

With regard to "deliberately" not updating important facts and information on medical files, again we would be interested to hear of the circumstances surrounding this as this is a serious allegation which needs to be fully investigated.

Please give the surgery a call on 0208 858 0631 or 0208 469 1111 to speak to either the Practice Manager or her assistant.

Rachel gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful treatment from the nurse

I had an appointment for a smear test and to discuss having the contraceptive implant fitted with the nurse. First off the receptionist was extremely helpful, and helped me to work out the best combination of appointments for my treatment, calling me back immediately to ensure that I had a double appointment and wouldn't feel rushed. When I attended the appointment for the smear test (which everyone knows is a far from pleasant experience!) the nurse could not have been more wonderful. They took their lead from me in that I needed to keep chatting to distract me from what was happening, and was friendly and empathetic throughout. The nurse made it as comfortable, un-embarrassing and painless as possible. It was my first smear and they made it an experience I would not be afraid to repeat in the future. When it came to discussing my contraceptive options they were well-informed, wanted to know as much as possible about me to make sure it was the best possible decision, and went above and beyond to make sure I was happy. I left feeling confident in my treatment and extremely well looked-after. I have recommended that my friend attend this practice due to the care I received.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 16 February 2015

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 17 February 2015

Dear Rachel
Thank you so much for taking the time to enter such lovely comments and feedback on our Nurse Caroline. We are glad to hear that your experience was positive and helpful.

I have passed this onto all of the staff at the practice and have personally congratulated Caroline.
Allison for Burney Street Practice

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

The best surgery I have been to

I felt sad to read the negative comments. This surgery is fantastic. The reception staff could not be more helpful and it is not hard to get an appointment. I am very satisfied. 5 stars

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 12 September 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 22 September 2014

Hello
We are pleased to hear that you are happy with our service and appreciate that you have taken the time to enter such a lovely review of the practice. We truly appreciate this and will ensure staff are made aware.
The Partners of Burney Street Practice

Terrible Administration

Whilst the doctors at this practice are lovely, they are utterly let down by the reception and booking staff who are terrible. Getting through on the phone, particularly on a Monday, takes 10-30mins. Once you do the service is superb for small children (as it should be!) but pretty terrible for adults. Worse yet, the booking staff seem to have no idea what they are doing; they booked me in for bloodwork with a nurse who was not authorized to do bloods. Only when I showed up for the appointment two weeks later did they realise the error. No attempt was made to apologise or to slot me in for a new appointment. I was simply offered the option of waiting another two weeks and hoping that they had gotten it right this time.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 25 September 2014

Hello
We are sorry to hear of your experience with Burney Street Practice. We assure you that we strive to provide the best possible care to all of our patients and continue to look at areas of development with all our staff.

The Practice currently has a patient list of over 15000 over the two sites, Burney Street & Wallace Health Centre. Monday's are always exceptionally busy as patients are more likely to call after feeling unwell over the weekend. We have put on extra staff to try and meet the demands of calls to the practice, however this does remain an issue and we are constantly looking at ways to improve on this.

We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you to ascertain why you were booked in with a nurse that could not do bloods, we would also need to look at why you had to wait a further two weeks for a blood appointment, as these are usually available within a week.

As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to approach you directly. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the surgery on 0208 858 0631.

Appalling

My husband has just visited this surgery with a few minor problems (it takes 10 days to see someone so no wonder people make the most of the appointment!) which aren't serious but need resolving. He was made to feel like a liar and the GP unbelivably became angry with my husband when he insisted there was a problem. This has in fact happened before and my husband then went to get a 2nd opinion at a doctors in his hometown and they diagnosed and almost sorted the issue. In fact, that doctor said it was obvious from a basic inspection. However, the GP said at this surgeryn that they could see nothing wrong at all and made my husband feel like a hyperchondriac. All in all, bad medical and people skills. That combined with the rude receptionists make this surgery extremely unpleasant. I have also had the same dismissive treatment when asked for advice on bad period pains, I was fobbed off with painkillers. I then went private and was diagnosed with fibroids and Asherman's syndrome, well done Burney Street!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Hello
We are sorry to hear of your experience with Burney Street Practice. We assure you that we strive to provide the best possible care to all of our patients, so are concerned that you have had the problems mentioned in your comment.

As you have entered this anonymously, we are unable to identify the doctor concerned to approach them on this. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the surgery on 0208 858 0631.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

Receptionists were ok but not the GPs

I thought that the receptionists were very helpful.

However when seeing different GPs for a condition recently I didn't feel like I was treated with respect, as they seem to think that I was making the symptoms up. One sent me away and said to rest and I later had to access emergency medical care.

When I mentioned severe pain most recently the GP changed the subject twice and asked about something else, and said to take aspirin for the fever- which I didn't have!- so presumably they hadn't been bothered to listen to what was wrong at all.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 September 2014

ss gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely appalling service

The receptionist are rude and blunt with no manners. If being ill isn't enough , contacting them is another pain you have to go through.

On the answer service, when calling this gp service , it states 'if you don't want to tell the receptionist the reason for calling, say it is personal', but the receptionists still insist on you telling them when you do this.
It always comes to literally spelling out every detail , just like to a trainee who is new on the job.

The whole service is outdated , with records being lost or taking weeks to find, with excuses used like "they are being passed between our two surgeries", It is like this surgery is suck in the late 70's.
They do not read medical notes properly and seem to think they have the right to tell you your condition rather than a Dr ! Alarmingly, when an emergency call from the Dr is needed, they do not take it seriously and treat everyone as if they are over exaggerating and making false reasons .

The appointments are hard to get within 2 weeks and the Dr only makes emergency calls before 1pm each day, otherwise you have to call again early next morning and start the tedious process again .
The entire staff have bad attitudes , at one visit I heard one receptionist curse a patient behind his back.
The receptionists treat and talk to patients like naughty school children .
Utterly outrageous .

Do your health a favour and choose a different GP . 0 out of 10 - this review also applies to their other branch - Burney Street Practice @ Wallace Health Centre.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear that your experience with contacting the surgery has been a less than positive one. We are alarmed to hear that you have witnessed one of the receptionists speaking ill of a patient and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so that we can ensure this does not happen again. We are constantly striving to meet the demands of patients in giving them access to GP's in a number of ways.

We have a duty doctor service every morning from 8.30am to 11.00am. You can call during this time and request to speak to a GP if you have an urgent medical need and you will be placed on a list. The GP call's in stict order that the calls are placed on the list. The GP will triage the situation and if they feel that you need to be seen in the surgery, you will be offered an appointment on the same day.

As this service is for urgent medical needs, the GP's request that our receptionists ask the nature of the call, so that they can be assured that they are only dealing with urgent calls. They also read notes for any existing medical conditions before making the calls. They can make between 50-70 calls a day, so time is precious and this does help considerably. We do however understand that you may not want to specify the nature of the call, and to say it is personal is acceptable. We do not expect our staff to persue this, and again we would welcome more information on your experience so that we can speak to the receptionist involved.

If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to call the surgery and ask to speak to the Practice Manager or her assistant.

Helen gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Quick when you need urgent treatment

I called up the surgery when I needed an appointment following a suspected tropical disease. They were excellent on the telephone and got me an appointment later that day. I was referred immediately to the Hospital of Tropical Diseases who told me that I would be called up for an appointment in a few weeks. When I passed this message back to the doctors they promptly dealt with the hospital directly to ensure that I was seen sooner. I have recently joined this practice and can not complain at all by the service that I have received. The staff who answer the telephones are friendly and professional and it seems that if you need an urgent appointment they will be accommodating. Something other practices should strive to achieve.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 29 July 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 31 July 2014

Hello Helen
We want to thank you for leaving such lovely feedback about the practice. We are pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. Our staff strive to ensure they deliver the best service they can and we have forwarded your comment onto them so they feel rewarded for their hard work.

Once again, thank you.

Harry gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

On hold for 30 minutes before hanging up

I just tried to call up to register at this GP surgery. Having called up, I was on hold for 30 minutes and did not get an answer. Eventually I decided to hang up without waiting as I had used up most of my lunch break. I am more than happy to hold for 5-10 minutes but I think 30 minutes + is an unacceptable amount of time to keep your patients on hold for.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 02 June 2014

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 26 June 2014

Hello Harry. We are concerned to hear that you had to wait so long for your telephone call to be answered by the surgery. Our aim is to respond to all calls in a reasonable time. 30 minutes is unacceptable, and I apologise that you had to wait for this amount of time.

We would like to investigate this further to see if there may have been a technical issue or training need for our staff.

If you would like to make contact with me to disuss this further, I would be happy to look at our telephone records and try to give you an explanation on why this happened.

Allison Andrews - PA to Practice Manager