Check here for alerts

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street

020 8858 0631 (Main Surgery), 48 Burney Street, Greenwich , SE10 8EX

Appalling service

I have to completely agree with the large number of patients who have also complained about the treatment you get in this surgery. The receptionists are always plain rude, they have no manners whatsoever and treat patients in an awful way. Furthermore, they never answer the phone. This is bad enough as it is, but you also have two wait two weeks to get a routine medical appointment, a total joke! I will be changing practices soon, had enough.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Good morning

We are sorry to hear that you have cause to complain about the service you have received at the practice. We expect our receptionists to treat all patients in a welcoming and friendly manner. As you may appreciate, the telephones are very busy, and although the perception is that they do not answer the phone, we can assure you that they answer as many calls as possible. A number of patients take up a lot of time on the telephones which impacts the call answering levels. We receive in the region of 200 calls per day with the most busy time being first thing in the morning.

The practice has almost 16,000 patients. We have 9 doctors and 4 nurses who work across both sites (Burney Street & Wallace Health Centre) daily. The practice offer approximately 1400 appointments per week and our current wait for a routine appointment with a GP is 8 working days. We are not open on Saturday or Sunday. We offer on the day appointments for those with medical emergencies and a duty doctor telephone triage service daily for the same.

With winter setting in and flu season upon us, it has got extremely busy and we are doing our best to ensure that our service levels remain as good as they have always been. We apologise that you have had a negative experience with the practice and if you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Awful practice - it used to be good

This practice could not be worse!! You can never get through to them by phone, the receptionists are mega rude and you need to wait two weeks to get an appointment!! Disgusting!!!!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Good morning
Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to make direct contact with you to discuss this further. The practice has almost 16,000 patients. We have 9 doctors and 4 nurses who work across both sites (Burney Street & Wallace Health Centre) daily. The practice offer approximately 1400 appointments per week and our current wait for a routine appointment with a GP is 8 working days. We are not open on Saturday or Sunday.

As you may appreciate, the telephones are very busy. We receive in the region of 200 calls per day with the most busy time being first thing in the morning.

We apologise that you have had a negative experience with the practice and if you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to. .

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Great doctors, appalling reception staff

Once again, absolutely appalled by the lack of care or even basic manners from Burney Street's reception staff. After seeing a brilliant doctor at Wallace Street this morning and being referred for a blood test I was told by an incredibly rude member of staff that there is not one single person who could perform a simple blood test and I would instead have to go elsewhere. This would not be a problem had it been conveyed politely, however this is apparently impossible for Burney Street. Better training for staff with regards to care, or education on manners wouldn't go amiss.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 22 June 2016

Good morning
We are sorry to hear that you have not received the level of service we would expect from our reception staff. Our staff are regularly trained in customer service to ensure they have the appropriate tools for dealing with patients. We apologise if this has not been the case on this occasion.

We currently do not have a phlebotomist on site, so are referring our patients to other service providers in the area which would either be another doctors surgery or Queen Elizabeth Hospital. We hope to have a new phlebotomist in place in the next few weeks.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 1 stars

Poor adminstrative services and rude reception staff

After being registered with the surgery for 6 years I submitted my usual repeat prescription and three weeks later still the prescription wasn't available. On contacting the surgery I was told I had been unregistered, with no explanation. I was informed by the receptionist that I would have to resolve this myself by going through the hassle of registering again, despite this clearly being a mistake made by the surgery. Thoroughly unimpressed by how poorly the receptionist handled this and the way they spoke to me on the phone.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Good morning
Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to make direct contact with you to discuss this further and look into the situation. The practice do not deregister patients unless they are requested to do so by our registration services run by NHS England. This can be because the patient has registered with another practice, has not been seen in the practice for 3 years or more, or if they attend a walk in service had have been mistakenly registered as a patient there.

We would be very interested in finding out who you spoke to on reception so that we can take the appropriate action with them. If you would like to give the practice a call and speak to either Allison Andrews or Jennifer Peters the practice manager, we can look into what has happened and offer a solution to this.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

GPs are good, if you can get an appointment

It is unfortunate that the reception staff are always so rude to patients on the telephone. It is unclear why.

If you are unwell or concerned about receiving test results, the last thing that you need is to be spoken to you rudely by your local GP surgery and for the staff to behave as though you are an inconvenience in their day. I appreciate that the GP surgery is probably very busy, but I don’t see that as an excuse to not speak to people politely, or to say the odd please / thank you.

I have found the GPs to be very polite and helpful. Unfortunately, however, it is very difficult to get an appointment. The surgery only appears to offer same-day (emergency) appointments or a fortnightly appointment – nothing in between. Two weeks is a long time to wait if you are anxious about a health problem, particularly if you then need to be referred to someone else. It is often over a month before you are then seen by the referral doctor/nurse. Again, the same issue is that when you politely ask if there are any earlier appointments, the reception staff are rude and unhelpful.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 10 May 2016

Hello
Thank you for your comments on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced difficulties with our reception staff.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further as you touch on a number of points. If you would like to discuss this, please call the surgery and ask to speak to myself, Allison Andrews or the Practice Manager, Jennifer Peters.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Dr is a great GP!

Although we rarely see the same GP, every time we see a new one they are excellent. I just wanted to say what a great GP the Dr is - we got an emergency same day appointment for my little girl and they provided a telephone as well as face to face consultation. Excellent manner and good advice.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 04 February 2016

Good morning
We just wanted to pass on our gratitude for leaving such lovely feedback on NHS Choices. This has been passed onto all members of staff for a much needed boost!

We all thank you very much.
The Staff of Burney Street Practice

Really poor appointment planning

Having seen the doctors (3 weeks required for an appointment) to try and get on the minor surgery waiting list i was called whilst at work and couldn't take the call, i did however return the call 31 mins after they left a voicemail to be told that all the bookings were now taken and I'd have to wait till the next month to see if there was a chance i could book it in.

Whilst i understand that they probably are busy, having to wait at least a month now is really poor service, ultimately as like most people I have to work and to lose the appointment because i couldn't take the call (even though I called back within 20 mins, but there was no answer) in such a short turnaround time is really really bad customer service. It's compounded by the fact that if they have 1 day next month they didn't bother to offer me an appointment then, rather just be part of a poor lottery that essentially disadvantages those who work in full time employment.

We're asked to consider the staff and doctors at the surgery but there's no consideration for patients..

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 25 November 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for taking the time to enter your comments on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear of your frustrations with our appointment system.

Unfortunately, as you have entered your comment anonymously, I am unable to make direct contact with you to discuss the situation directly.

Minor surgery appointments are usually held twice a month, but this depends on whether the doctor qualified to carry out these procedures is available. We currently have 123 patients awaiting minor surgery. When the appointments become available (we currently plan 4 weeks ahead) our Health Care Assistant calls patients from the list in strict order. If she doesn't receive an answer, she will move onto the next patient and so on until the session has been booked. We unfortunately, can't leave the slots available awaiting a patient to return the call as this may become a wasted slot.

The reception team should notify the HCA that a call has been returned, and the next available appointment should be offered. If this is not yet on the system, then it is highlighted on the list that they should receive first preference.

Our next available appointment is on Wednesday 6th January 2016 at 4.20pm. I have held this slot. If you would like to give the surgery a call and leave a message for myself confirming your details and that you accept this appointment, then I will make the appointment for you. My name is Allison Andrews. I only work on Thursday's, so if you would like to speak to me in person, then please do give me a call.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 2 stars

Waiting time for an appointment

The minimum waiting time for a an appointment with the GP is more than 3 weeks.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 27 October 2015

Hello
Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. To clarify your point.......

Our current waiting time for a routine appointment with a GP is 13 days. If you are requesting an appointment with a particular GP, then the lead time to wait for that GP can be longer.

We do offer on the day appointments for anyone that has a medical emergency. We also offer a duty doctor telephone triage service daily, again for anyone that has an urgent medical need.

We also have very experienced practice nurses that generally have appointments available on a daily basis that can deal with general minor illnesses, cuts, bruises, sexual health.

Christina. gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Probably the Best GP Practice in London!

I have been a patient at this surgery for over five years and I am not one for writing reviews but on this occasion I decided to. I cannot agree with the negative reviews posed here. This is been my on-going experience of this practice.

1. Some of the GPs at this surgery I have met are the best you are going to find in
London!
2. Without question they always listen and understand your concerns.
3. They include you in a very clear course of action that is required.
4. They treat you in a professional and courteous manner and are always thorough.
5. This practice including the nurses always put patients first and genuinely cares;
putting you at ease and are so cooperative and friendly.
6. Of course there are times when appointments run a few minutes late but that
happens, it’s not deliberate, it’s not rocket science, this is a very busy practice. In
any case they always apologise, even those fantastic receptionists who are handling numerous telephone calls whilst
checking you in.
7. Like many other patients, I have to remember too that just like us, they are human
and have their difficult days too.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 08 August 2015

Hello
Thank you so much for submitting such a positive review on our practice.

All staff members strive to offer the best service possible in such a difficult time and we truly appreciate it.

T Beaumont gave Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic surgery

I am amazed by some of the negative reviews for this practice. I've been with it for over 15 years and I have consistently great treatment. Today, I saw an absolutely wonderful nurse for my daughter's pre-school booster - this nurse was brilliant with my daughter, caring and just great at the job. The doctors are always excellent too. Yes, there are occasional issues getting appointments when you want them and it's frustrating but the care is just so good and the problems are minor compared to convenience. There is also an excellent Grab-a-doc service in the borough for anything out of hours or at weekends.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Burney Street Practice @ 48 Burney Street replied on 23 July 2015

Good morning
Thank you so much for leaving such positive feedback on NHS Choices.
We really do appreciate hearing that the practice and it's staff are doing well, it means a lot to us.