Underwood Surgery

01242580644 139 St Georges Road , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3EQ

Anonymous gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

poor

really good unless you need to see the GP... or nurse... or anyone...

shocking expect to wait 30 days for an appointment

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 September 2017

Very caring health professionals

I am very happy with the level of care my family receive from Underwood Surgery. The GPs are very caring and considerate, and are very willing to listen.
Very good at getting same day appointments for babies / children. Triage system works well also.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Anonymous reviewed Underwood Surgery

A good doctors

The surgery give priority to seeing young children quickly which is very reassuring. Triage calls work really well too when something feels urgent. It's not a just a phone call with the doctor as they will often ask you to come in the same day if they think it's necessary.

The reception staff are businesslike and effective. The waiting times for an adult are a week to three weeks depending on how busy the surgery is. Three weeks is too long and sign of the times but the triage system is there for emergencies so in the ten years we've been coming, my family and I have never felt underserved.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

great little surgery

Very friendly little surgery with patient staff who will move mountains (speaking from an experience I had to do with emergency prescriptions) to assist.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Anonymous gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Patronising and rude reception

The reception staff seem to think they're above anyone, I hate phoning in to book appointments or query things due to how rude I often find them to be. They seem to judge everything, even making a snide comment when I asked for information on the contraceptive pill (which I actually needed for my periods). Get new reception staff and maybe the surgery will do better.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Underwood Surgery replied on 16 August 2016

We are sorry that you had the above poor experiences when you have telephoned our surgery and spoke to our receptionists.
We have a selection of information leaflets in our waiting room including those on contraception.
If you hate phoning to book an appointment then there is the option of attending in person at the surgery to request an online password so that you can book appointments without having to telephone.
Thank you the comments which are feedback to our team.
Doctor Robin Hollands

Tim gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Rude and abrupt.

I am currently serving in the forces and was on leave when I had chronic ear ache and needed some professional advice from my old practise which I used before joining the service. Because I used to be a patient at this surgery I thought the staff would be familiar, which proved wrong. When I entered the surgery it was completely empty and the staff were at the back of reception unaware of my presence. When they did finally notice me stood there I explained I needed to see a doctor for this pain I was experiencing and the receptionist replied by saying the doctors are all in between clinics and that if have to register and a doctor would call me. I explained that my problem needed to be seen urgently as I couldn't recurve any medical help until I rejoined my unit the following week. On hearing this an appointment suddenly appeared later that afternoon. However I needed to fill out a temporary patience form that had been partly previously completed on the carbon paper as a result of a lack of care from the staff and customer confidentiality. I was asked what doctor I use at work but I explained that we don't have designated doctors in the force and one of the receptionist said " it's SMO in the RAF" when I replied I'm not in the RAF. The way the receptionist came across was abrupt and short. When I had finally completed the form I asked who I was booked in with and the reply was "a doctor" which wasn't what I was after. I felt considering I was the only patient in the surgery and a new customer I should have been treated like any other and with the respect we all deserve as people regardless of our backgrounds. I will never return here after this appointment.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016

Excellent practice

All the doctors and other staff that I have met at this practice have been approachable and caring, as well as good at what they do. The practice has an excellent telephone triage system that makes it easy to get help on the same day if you have an urgent or acute problem (either over the phone or in the surgery if the phone call establishes that that's needed), and the online booking system also makes it straightforward to see when you can get an appointment with a particular doctor several days ahead, if that's what you need.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

SJG gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Good service for my elderly mum

My elderly mother recently moved to Cheltenham from Scotland. They registered with Underwood as it is the most convenient for her. She had a bit of a rocky start mainly due to her age/health/confusion but once we got all the issues ironed out, around Consent and sharing of information, she has nothing but good words to say about the surgery, Dr is very patient with her, involves mum in decisions and gives me a courtesy call if we are not sure that mum has shared all the necessary details. Please pass on my thanks to all receptionists who probably have some very strange conversations with mum and to all the staff for their time and patience in a demanding environment. Keep smiling!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 July 2016

Denise Cox gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Surgery

I have been with this surgery all my life and fully intend to stay put. All of my concerns are treated quickly and sympathetically and the reception staff , who I know are always busy are always smiling and kind. Occasionally it is tricky to get through on the phone but that is simply the volume of calls. Only once have I ever been treated in a difficult manner by a receptionist and I was apologised to immediately by the doctor. Not a bad record in 55 years of care. Super surgery. Nurses are a delight and the doctors are so kind. Would recommend to anyone

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 10 October 2015

Underwood Surgery replied on 10 November 2015

Thank you for your positive comments. We know that getting through on the phone can be tricky, and our online booking system is helping to reduce the demand, but there are unfortunately still occasions when it's really busy.