Highgrove Surgery

020 3817 4117 Highgrove Surgery, Barking Community Hospital, Upney Lane , Barking, Essex, IG11 9LX

BIG.E gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Waiting times

No mater what time of day you call it is instantly no nothing for 2 weeks . Its like just talking to a robot . No 2 weeks or call the hub . The hun dont have doctors that you no and they no you and have seen you and now your history without going thou it with a hub doctor everytime you need something . My Doctor is a top doctor and the only doctor i lime to see and i got told by one staff member one the phone when i called to see them and ony them i was instantly told . No
No appointments for them untill mid november . Lol . I called back the next day and got one with them for a week later ??? Its sounds like another case of i cant be bothered to look . I have been in your waiting room when i see with me own eyes the person at the desk just pick up the phone and with out even looking on the computer said sorry i have check sorry we got nothing for to weeks . They did not even look at the computer . Jokers .

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 10 May 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 30 May 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your comments. We are always open to patients complaints, issues, questions and comments to help us monitor and improve our service .

We are sorry you had cause to complain.

Our current waiting time for a routine appointment is 10 working days excluding Saturday extended hours. We offer urgent on the day appointments.

Further to our urgent on the day appointments we are supported by the hub which offers daily appointments for urgent medical care.

We are sorry you feel you have cause to complain. If you feel you are not receiving a satisfactory service from the surgery I would be more than happy to discuss your issues with you.

Practice Manager.

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 2 stars

You've become just like other GP Practices

I changed some years ago from another surgery to yours due to long waiting times. I only read positive feedback about your surgery and how friendly the reception staff was and it I can say it was all true at the time. No long waits, call up in the morning and got an appointment on the same day or next day.

Since a year, however, things have drastically changed. Not sure if it's due to the location move, but you are nothing better than the previous surgery. Unfriendly receptionists, 2 weeks waiting times.

One contacts their GP when they have an emergency. Your answer to this is two weeks waiting time or call the emergency line which is constantly engaged and impossible to get through. I find this very strange as whenever I visit your surgery, you message board reads, we have x number of no-shows and your reception area is practically empty.
Your doctors have wealth of knowledge and are very caring, but that's just not enough to keep me as a client.

I, therefore, cannot recommend this practice.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 02 May 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 30 May 2017

We are sorry you had cause to complain.

The surgery is offering on line services where you can book appointments order repeat medications. Please ask a receptionist to help you with this service if you feel it may help in any way. The wait for appointments is not due to the location move, however patient demand has increased, there are also issues with patients failing to attend for booked appointments. If you are experiencing problem's with our reception staff l would be more than happy to discuss these concerns with you.
Susan Hayes Practice Manager.

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Was great in Dagenham and now terrible in Upney!

This surgery is a disgrace and it's not because of the receptionists (most of them are sooo lovely!), it's the doctors who are disgusting. I earn pay more than £7K a year into the NHS via NI contributions and I wait on average 2weeks for an apt. They never give me the prescription I need and refuse to see you if you're as little as a couple mind late - but it's okay for them to keep you waiting more than 20mins when they're running late!!! Absolutely disgusting! One Dr is terrible too. If you're profession is to care for people, then treat them with respect!!!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 27 March 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 27 April 2017

Dear Patient
We are sorry you have had cause to complain. If you would like to contact me to arrange to meet and discuss your concerns so that we can fully investigate your issues raised.
Once again we apologise that you had cause to complain

Netra Chemjong reviewed Highgrove Surgery

Give me a solution

I'm a member of Highgrove surgery since 2009 and still a member after moved from Marlborough road. I recently visited Barking Walk in centre in emergency issue, they checked and asked me to go to King George Hospital A & E for further check up. After whole day checking in hospital, doctor asked me to get hold to my GP . Now I called to book an appointment to my GP and receptionist told me the nearest available date is 10 May. I explained my case of history but the receptionist told me that the only available date is in 10 May. I have a pain in my left chest and still have minor pain , shall I still need to wait 20 days to see my GP ?

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 27 April 2017

Dear Patient
We are sorry you had cause to complain and you are experiencing problems accessing the surgery, access to GP appointments is a Local and National issue.
Once again we apologise that you had cause to complain.
Please contact me to arrange an appointment to discuss the specific issues you have raised.

Slap-dash at best

We (family of 4, 2 children) have been with Highgrove Surgery for years and have been with them since they were located in Marlborough Road, before moving to the Barking Community Hospital. Services have gone downhill since the move, several of the very good GPs have since left the surgery. Appointments are usually not available within a week even in urgent cases such as significant respiratory problems, leaving not much choice other than having to resort to the Walk-In Centre or, worst case, the A&E department. One family member currently suffers from a very painful throat infection which had been going on for 4 weeks, as no appointment was initially available with Highgrove, we contacted the Walk-In Centre, where we were given antibiotics. Doctor's comment: "Surprised you were even able to eat seeing the infection is that bad, the body has done what it could, and as it was unable to fend it off, it has now given up and the infection keeps getting worse." Medication was then taken diligently for 3 days despite a severe rash on toes and hands due to allergic reaction to the penicillin, so we went back to Highgrove only to be told to "Just stop taking the Antibiotics even if the course had only been half finished seeing the throat was already improving" (and not yet cleared/healed)but no different course of medication was provided. It is my opinion that, without proper assessment of the condition, it is at best slap-dash if not negligent to advise a patient to stop treatment with antibiotics half way through the course of medication, particularly if the condition has not cleared entirely. This day and age it is (ought to be) public knowledge to complete a course of antibiotics, and not just suspend it as symptoms get better. If the treating GP had good, founded reasons for their decision then well and good, but as usual no information was provided. People are being treated like cattle, not intelligent human beings. This level of service is unacceptable to someone who pays his taxes and contributions, and frankly I cannot see any improvements being available other than move to a different part of the country, hoping things may be better elsewhere.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 10 January 2017

Dear patient
Thank you for your comments. We are always open to patient complaints, issues, questions and comments to help us monitor and improve our service .
We are sorry you had cause to complain.
A GP would not normally advise to stop taking medication before finishing the course of treatment unless there is cause to do so.
Could you please contact me to discuss the specific issues you have raised in so we can thoroughly investigate and respond to your complaint.

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Smear test

I recently had an appointment for a smear. I cannot express enough praise for the outstanding care i received from the lovely nurse. I was dreading it after the last few have hurt considerably and being told its because they were unable to find my cervix?! Yet this time i didnt even know the nurse had done it, they were extremely professional and gentle. Excellent care. Also myself and my husband have found this surgery to be the best we have ever been registered with. Doctors and staff are always kind, considerate and always listen to your problems and any concerns you may have. Top surgery!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 February 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 20 February 2017

Dear Patient

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we very much appreciate your positive response to our care and service provided by our practice Primary Health Care Team.

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Brilliant doctors, useless receptionists

My family and I have been registered with the practice for almost 9 years now and have always been satisfied with the service received by the doctors. The only problem in that practice are the receptionists. They are often rude, not listen to your concerns, and not willing to help at all. I am not able to book an appointment anymore because they are always taken and in several occasions have had to end up in A&E with my little girl to get treatment as the next available appointment was in 2 weeks time. At other times,scheduled appointments have been cancelled last minute with out offering an immediate alternative, leaving us out of options and putting our health at risk.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 10 February 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 20 February 2017

Dear patient

We are sorry you had cause to complain.

If you are not getting the help and support from our practice staff l am more than happy to investigate as we do not wish our patients to attend A&E for matters that could be treated by the GP.

In the past week our practice nurse has had a family emergency which needed to be dealt with and her appointments were cancelled, however we have a locum nurse in place to support the practice needs.

jinxy gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

service

we joined this surgery about a year ago and i can safely say its the best move we as a family have made the staff are always polite very helpful weather you go in person or on the phone and the doctors thumbs up guys your doing an amazing service we would differently recommend this surgery for an outstanding service

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

Highgrove Surgery has not yet replied.

Christine gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great staff especially the nurse

I have always been a fan of Highgrove Surgery, all the staff provide an excellent, caring and human service. Today, I particularly want to praise the nurse. I attended an appointment for a smear and while it wasn't my first time, it's a procedure I dread. The nurse was sensitive to my anxieties and their efficiency coupled with a gentle demeanour made it the easiest smear I've ever had. I did take their name but I'm not allowed to mention it here so I hope my praise will reach them.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 09 August 2016

Highgrove Surgery replied on 11 August 2016

Thank you very much in taking the time to write such a positive review. Your comments have been greatly appreciated by the staff.

appointment cancelation Saturday

How am I supposed to cancel a Saturday appointment when there is no receptionist to answer a phone?. I find this unbelievable and u have the nerve to txt me that I have missed my appointment whilst on the phone it said surgery closed so how do I cancel an appointment?

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 19 March 2016

Highgrove Surgery replied on 19 March 2016

Dear Patient,
Our website and practice leaflet state clearly that the phone lines are closed on Saturday mornings.
We provide appointments on Saturdays to cover extra demand and reduce waiting times - we are not contractually obliged or paid to offer Saturday appointments. For that reason, staffing levels are kept to a minimum and we are unable to answer calls.

We do request that patients cancel appointments in good time - at least 24 hours in advance - in order for us to be able to offer the appointment to other patients.

Our Saturday surgery only lasts for 3.5 hours. Therefore a cancellation on the day does not allow us to offer the appointment to other patients.
Consequently, if you fail to attend on a Saturday a note will be added to record your non-attendance and you receive a text message informing you about this.

May we kindly ask that you give us plenty of notice in future should you be unable to attend for a booked appointment, so other patients can benefit.
Thank you for your understanding.
Highgrove Surgery