Highgrove Surgery

Telephone: 020 8593 9447
Address: 113-115 Marlborough Road, Dagenham, Essex, RM8 2ES
Website: http://www.highgrovesurgery.co.uk

Rebecca gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent surgery, GP, nurse, staff and service.

I recently joined Highgrove surgery as I was very unhappy with my previous local GP surgery.

The care I have received has been excellent so far. The GP I saw, the nurse and reception staff have been polite, friendly and helpful. It was nice to sit and talk to a sympathetic GP that actually makes eye contact and listens rather than just staring at the computer screen and trying to get you out of there as quickly as possible.

It has been very easy to book an appointment and the surgery also has extended hours which is especially helpful for busy and working people. They also remind you with a text about the time and date of your appointment too.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

Paul gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Very good GP surgery.

I have only just joined Highgrove Surgery as I was dissatisfied with my old surgery.

So far the nurse and reception staff have been polite and helpful and it offers extended hours so I can make an appointment around my working hours.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

Highgrove Surgery replied on 29 July 2014

Thank you for your positive comments.

chris spencer gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Wonderful GP's but the reception staff & practice management!!

Sadly like many NHS services, first impressions last.

rude impatient reception staff hiding behind security screens at reception, not 2014, get real!! i havent been to any public service, chemist, hospital recently that have these, perhaps there have been incidents of conflict which dictate they have these horrible screens in the past but forever??

once past these bureaucratic receptionists you get to see nice professional gp's, which is the reason one comes to any gp practice, sadly all tainted by non medical people, who have a customer facing role but lack professionalism.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Highgrove Surgery replied on 19 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are always open to patients complaints, issues, questions and comments to help us monitor and improve our service . I am sorry that you feel the glass screen is not necessary , but the GP's felt because of the hours we work and staff working alone the screen was necessary for staff safety, and to prevent theft which unfortunately had occured in the past when the reception was left unattended for a short space of time.
Unfortunately I cannot respond to your comments regarding the reception staff, as it was not detailed. But if you are unhappy with the service you can write to me, or I would be happy to meet and discuss any issues you may have.
Regards
Practice Managment

Anonymous reviewed Highgrove Surgery

Registration - go prepared for an argument

Popped in to register as I phoned last week and was told between 9-6 would be helpful to the receptionists. I came in around 11.30 to miss the morning rush and was met with a sigh... 'oh we are really busy for registrations'. There was one patient waiting to be seen in the waiting room and the other receptionist on the phone.
I handed my documents over and the proof of address I was using was deemed not adequate enough and not a utlilty bill. It was a mortgage statement I was providing which normally is sufficient for DBS checks so was unsure why this would not be appropriate in this case. I was met with the receptionist stating that they didnt make up the rules. I stated that I was still unsure why and they got rather stroppy stating again they didnt make up the rules... I had to ask does this mean I cant continue the registration which they said no - I asked if I could bring this on the next occasion (when I need to see the nurse) and was told no again. I stated that I did find it rather ridiculous but I would come back (I am entitled to my opinion and I was not rude as I understood they needed to follow the rules but just didnt understand). As I walked round the corner, out of their view they shouted out - 'well dont bother registering here then'! Obviously this got my back up (I am 6 months pregnant) and I went back to them to ask if that was appropriate behaviour to shout that out at me in that way... They started shouting at me stating how I dare question them they dont make up the rules and I am not even registered there. I was so angry when I left and shaking with the sheer rudeness of their behaviour you would not expect from a healthcare receptionist. I dont think it was inappropriate of me to question why my document was insufficient. Some training with dealing with patients is well needed to ensure that they explain themselves clearly and not get frustrated on a whim if the recepient does not understand the reasoning and be able to handle if a patient extends their opinions - I would have understood the reaction if I started screaming, shouting or being abusive but I was the total opposite (dont need to stress my baby out!). Stating they are busy for registrations is also inappropriate... to be honest its not really the potential patients problem if that is the case and they need to keep that opinion to themselves as I was made to feel that I was putting them out taking on a new patient when all they did when I returned was photocopy my documents and set me up a new appointment to see the nurse - not even 5 mins! The surgery is so close to my home and with a child on the way I made the decision to continue the registration... the reviews of the GP's and services provided there would be ideal for my new family - fingers crossed the receptionists there take on board feedback and change their behaviour. I hope I havent made a bad decision - my GP is retiring so I needed to register elsewhere back in my catchement area.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 28 May 2014

Highgrove Surgery replied on 27 June 2014

I am sorry if you felt the reception staff were rude and unhelpful. The staff clearly remember you coming to the surgery, and they strongly deny inapproiate behaviour. May I suggest that if you are unhappy with our service that you ask to speak to the Practice Manager. Feedback is important but unless this is raised in the correct way then nothing can be resolved or learnt from this.

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

great practice

I have been registered with this practice for 14 years and have always had great service.The GPs and nursing staff are excellent.I have always found the reception staff friendly and helpful .The opening times are great for working people and I have had no problems getting an appointment.
Well done to all at the surgery, I am happy with the service and would recommend this practice to anyone.If I did have any issues then I would address them with the surgery directly.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 26 June 2014

E Hebouche gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Very happy with the service

My whole family recently moved here from a nearby GP practice. At our previous surgery we could never get an appointment, service was diabolical. What a change! We are now very very happy . Receptions are kind and professional, we can book appointments online, it offers extended hours, which is very handy for working peaple like me. I can get an appointment at 6.30 am and still go to work. Fabulous!
We have seen only one doctor so far, who is very good, treats you with dignity and care.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 24 April 2014

Highgrove Surgery replied on 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this comment. We are trying very hard to provide a friendly and efficent service to our patients, and are pleased that this is being recognised.

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Reception staff is just rude

The GPS are very nice and polite but reception staff are sooo rude and abrupt.

It seems they don't know how to communicate with people. They made me cry this morning in front of my to kids as I was treated like unhuman.

I know the job is probably stressful, but that is no excuse to shout on me when I said that I will go to A&E with my baby as they couldn't ask doctor to check my daughters lungs.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 29 April 2014

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

excellent surgery

changed my gp as the previous one was terrible.but this surgery has been really helpful. appointments are available , lovely sets of doctors and couldn't ask more.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

Highgrove Surgery replied on 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased that you are happy with the service you have received and will endeavour to keep up the good work.

columbo1961 reviewed Highgrove Surgery

Unapologetic!!

Handed in a letter for a prescription on Weds 10th December 2013 for Nicorette Gum. Trying to give up smoking. Having to wait two days was bad enough. Went into the surgery on Friday to pick up my prescription only to be told it hasn't been done yet and to come back on Monday and "you can buy them in the chemist." I have been with this surgery for nearly three years and this is the first time I have ever come across anything like this. I used to sing their praises but the way I was treated today was disgraceful. No apology - nothing.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 13 December 2013 using FindTheBest

FindtheBest Logo

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Never seen on time and never seen for more than a minute

You will be aware of the fact they are busy, appointments have to be booked over a week in advance! GPs perhaps as a result of this appear not to have the time to talk to you and just listen and hand you a prescription or tell you to come back when symptoms worsen. Just because you are busy doesn't mean you haven't the time to be kind and say a word or two to the patient about their illness. We need to know what caused the illness especially with children in order to know how to prevent it. I went to a private GP once out of desperation and the amount of advice he gave me in 10 mins has lasted me until know with my sons on-going bowel condition. Hardly something I understand to be overreacting.
I have often had go to the out of hours GP as this GP told me I was overreacting or they simply couldn't see me in the next week! The receptionists will book you in sooner if you tell them you will book an out of hours appointment as they told me "we will get into trouble if you call them now please call later or wait to be seen here"??!!!!
After years being kind and patient to all and tolerating below standard service by the GPs (who recommended Queens as a great hospital to give birth in when I asked for nearby hospitals- its rated with a warning on the NHS site lowest 20%!!) hardly look you in the eye when you are being seen, are rude and abrupt, even patronizing at times - I stopped attending this clinic when the receptionists actually called me a rude name laughing in the background and reduced me to tears when I called to check up on an appointment that THEY had booked wrong. I never write reviews, but don't waste your time here.

Following a time when the GP was supposed to call me back (to explain how to book a antenatal appointment a nearby clinic) at a certain time (as promised by the staff and not requested by myself); but did not in-fact call me. I called up inquiring about the call and was dealt with rudely and told that my inquiry was not important enough to be dealt with by the doctor despite the fact that I had not actually requested that I be called. This defensive behavior is clearly evidence in my mind that they had made a mistake however I asked calmly how to proceed and no solution to my problem was offered, and when I politely asked to complain the head receptionist threatened to put the phone down on me and told me that complaining was rude behavior that their practice wouldn't tolerate.
Despite knowing me and my family for years, they pretended to mispronounce my name (turning it into a rude word for a body part) and put me on hold, gave me wrong times for my appointments. I feel bullied and feel sorry as the staff have let their practice down.
It is too distressing to deal with the receptionists and as a result I have since decided to move GPs.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 21 May 2013