Highgrove Surgery

020 3817 4117 Highgrove Surgery, Barking Community Hospital, Upney Lane , Barking, Essex, IG11 9LX

Slap-dash at best

We (family of 4, 2 children) have been with Highgrove Surgery for years and have been with them since they were located in Marlborough Road, before moving to the Barking Community Hospital. Services have gone downhill since the move, several of the very good GPs have since left the surgery. Appointments are usually not available within a week even in urgent cases such as significant respiratory problems, leaving not much choice other than having to resort to the Walk-In Centre or, worst case, the A&E department. One family member currently suffers from a very painful throat infection which had been going on for 4 weeks, as no appointment was initially available with Highgrove, we contacted the Walk-In Centre, where we were given antibiotics. Doctor's comment: "Surprised you were even able to eat seeing the infection is that bad, the body has done what it could, and as it was unable to fend it off, it has now given up and the infection keeps getting worse." Medication was then taken diligently for 3 days despite a severe rash on toes and hands due to allergic reaction to the penicillin, so we went back to Highgrove only to be told to "Just stop taking the Antibiotics even if the course had only been half finished seeing the throat was already improving" (and not yet cleared/healed)but no different course of medication was provided. It is my opinion that, without proper assessment of the condition, it is at best slap-dash if not negligent to advise a patient to stop treatment with antibiotics half way through the course of medication, particularly if the condition has not cleared entirely. This day and age it is (ought to be) public knowledge to complete a course of antibiotics, and not just suspend it as symptoms get better. If the treating GP had good, founded reasons for their decision then well and good, but as usual no information was provided. People are being treated like cattle, not intelligent human beings. This level of service is unacceptable to someone who pays his taxes and contributions, and frankly I cannot see any improvements being available other than move to a different part of the country, hoping things may be better elsewhere.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Highgrove Surgery replied on 10 January 2017

Dear patient
Thank you for your comments. We are always open to patient complaints, issues, questions and comments to help us monitor and improve our service .
We are sorry you had cause to complain.
Our current waiting time for a routine appointment is 10 working days excluding Saturday extended hours. We offer urgent on the day appointments.
Further to our urgent on the day appointments we are supported by the hub which offers daily appointments for urgent medical care.
A GP would not normally advise to stop taking medication before finishing the course of treatment unless there is cause to do so.
Could you please contact me to discuss the specific issues you have raised in so we can thoroughly investigate and respond to your complaint.

Susan Hayes
Practice Manager

jinxy gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

service

we joined this surgery about a year ago and i can safely say its the best move we as a family have made the staff are always polite very helpful weather you go in person or on the phone and the doctors thumbs up guys your doing an amazing service we would differently recommend this surgery for an outstanding service

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

Christine gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great staff especially the nurse

I have always been a fan of Highgrove Surgery, all the staff provide an excellent, caring and human service. Today, I particularly want to praise the nurse. I attended an appointment for a smear and while it wasn't my first time, it's a procedure I dread. The nurse was sensitive to my anxieties and their efficiency coupled with a gentle demeanour made it the easiest smear I've ever had. I did take their name but I'm not allowed to mention it here so I hope my praise will reach them.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 09 August 2016

Highgrove Surgery replied on 11 August 2016

Thank you very much in taking the time to write such a positive review. Your comments have been greatly appreciated by the staff.

appointment cancelation Saturday

How am I supposed to cancel a Saturday appointment when there is no receptionist to answer a phone?. I find this unbelievable and u have the nerve to txt me that I have missed my appointment whilst on the phone it said surgery closed so how do I cancel an appointment?

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 19 March 2016

Highgrove Surgery replied on 19 March 2016

Dear Patient,
Our website and practice leaflet state clearly that the phone lines are closed on Saturday mornings.
We provide appointments on Saturdays to cover extra demand and reduce waiting times - we are not contractually obliged or paid to offer Saturday appointments. For that reason, staffing levels are kept to a minimum and we are unable to answer calls.

We do request that patients cancel appointments in good time - at least 24 hours in advance - in order for us to be able to offer the appointment to other patients.

Our Saturday surgery only lasts for 3.5 hours. Therefore a cancellation on the day does not allow us to offer the appointment to other patients.
Consequently, if you fail to attend on a Saturday a note will be added to record your non-attendance and you receive a text message informing you about this.

May we kindly ask that you give us plenty of notice in future should you be unable to attend for a booked appointment, so other patients can benefit.
Thank you for your understanding.
Highgrove Surgery

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Best GP surgery

I have joined Highgrove Surgery a few years ago, as this was my partner surgery. I can only praise the staff at reception for always going the extra mile to help. The doctors and nurses are always very professional and keen to involve me in managing my care.

I don't understand all the negative comments here, as both my partner and I have always been very satisfied with all aspects of the surgery.

I have and would warmly recommend Highgrove Surgery to all my friends and family.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 23 February 2016

Highgrove Surgery replied on 26 February 2016

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. It is very important for us that patients have a positive experience and its good to heard that you are happy with the service we are providing.

Average

I find this surgery so frustrating! They can be excellent but i feel the admin staff are not interested in any patient care unless you are deemed one of their "favourites" i have witnessed this many times.
There is currently no nurse there on most days delaying all kinds of treatment for patients. And all they can do is apologise.
I find the reception staff very very rude and unhelpful. Bordering on leaving the surgery because of this. Dissapointed.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 10 October 2015

Getting worse and worse

I really liked the GPs and the surgery until they moved to Barking Hospital, it seems that since then it is impossible to book an appointment as they are 'fully booked'. The earliest appointment they could give is in 2 weeks time! it is appalling, they do not even consider if you appointment was urgent. I am seriously considering to go somewhere else.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 23 October 2015

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 1 stars

More concerned with efficiency than patient care

I waited 40 minutes for a scheduled appointment but that wasn't the problem, I hardly ever visit the doctor but was told by the lead GP I would need to come back another time if I wanted to go over the10 mins consultation time. Surgery more concerned with being efficient than caring for patients. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 13 August 2015

Anonymous gave Highgrove Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Obscure review, as too hard to get through 'security'

Have not actually joined this practice, but would love to, as one of the doctors was my GP for over 20 years.I don't pay the utility bills in our house, so nothing in my name at that address - bank statement (at address)/ passport/ letter from current doctors/letters from prescription payment card etc no good, so can't join.Most else done on line, the modern way.Found reception staff quite abrupt, bordering on rude, except for the member of staff when i popped in for an application.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 27 July 2015

Highgrove Surgery replied on 26 October 2015

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the registration process. We do ask for proof of address for all patients who wish to register with the practice.We do understand that in certain circumstances patients cannot produce utility bills, and we will take bank statements or other forms of proof.I am sorry if you found the staff abrupt, but if you wish to discuss this with me I am more than happy for you to contact me. Lynne Burnham Practice Manager

I'm appalled

This surgery was a really bad experience. Their website is full with incorrect information. The staff was extremely unhelpul.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 April 2015

Highgrove Surgery replied on 07 April 2015

We are sorry to hear that you felt the need to write the above review. Unfortunately, you do not tell us what your 'bad experience' actually was, so we are unable to comment or resolve the issue - the same is true about your comment regarding unhelpful staff. I assume that your comments regarding the website relate to the NHS choices pages. This website is not our responsibility, we do not design it and do not commission this website and we are currently unable to update our address details on this site.

Our own website www.highgrovesurgery.co.uk has the up-to-date details as far as we know.
As always, we are happy to hear and act upon any constructive criticism about the contents of that site.