Beaumont Street Surgery

01865 311811 28 Beaumont Street, Oxford , Oxfordshire, OX1 2NP

Anonymous gave Beaumont Street Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Great GPs, receptionists need to be less rude : upsetting

The GPs are very warm, helpful and knowledgeable. Easy to get appointment. Receptionists are off putting and can be sarcastic, arrogant and rude. Very glad when my pharmacist offered the surgery repeat prescription service which meant less contact with the receptionists.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 12 August 2016

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 12 December 2016

I am sorry to read this entry by an anonymous patient. Sorry for a number of reasons, not least of all because this sort of comment does not help me to improve the services we offer.
I have spent many hours talking with the practice manager, the other doctors, reception and thinking about what positive responses I can make.

1. Please leave your name when making a comment so that I can identify the individual event and improve on it. The Americans call them PDSA cycles, but in short you look at what you are doing, plan to do something better, do it, and measure it to see if you have improved. They are likened to a spiral of continuous improvement and we are a learning and adapting practice.
2. Join our Patient Participation Group. When I first joined the NHS in the early 80’s the doctor sat at the top of a virtual hierarchical tree and patients and nursing staff (and baby doctors like me) were terrified of these awe inspiring people at the top of the hospitals and abilities. Much has changed in the past 30+ years and we now see ourselves as much as partners, as equal members of a team of experts, all having mutually supporting roles and equally important parts to play. My patients are the “experts in their symptoms”, I have expertise in diagnosis and recognition of what is normal and what not, and so on. All of us, receptionist included are vital to this service; none can function well without the other. The increasing role of the patients in shaping their services is not new, but has been formalised into what are known as Patient Participation Groups. They will be the non-executive directors of the NHS, of the future. They will help make some of the difficult and challenging decisions about rationing, and apportioning emphasis when the true core NHS services are finally revealed. Join a PPG and help shape the local services, help improve your practice and take pride in that result.
3. When my grandfather was a doctor his medical textbooks have no references to the medications we now all take for granted. Sulphonamide was an antibacterial, which was known to help with infections. This was long before the discovery of penicillin, vaccinations, and any treatments for diabetes or Asthma. People would have part of their stomachs removed for acid related ulceration, when milk drips did not help. In short we have come a long way in the last 100years. But we now face a different problem, with antibiotic resistance, 80% of people with asthma not taking their inhalers correctly, Flu and meningitis vaccinations being declined for fear of catching something from the vaccine. It is as if the pendulum has swung too far the other way. There are now Long term conditions which require long term medication, not to treat the symptoms, but to prevent the onset of the consequences, Heart attack, Stroke, Asthma attack, and so on. We now use medications to keep someone well rather than wait until they are acutely severely ill. However too much blood pressure treatment and the blood pressure too low, you might faint and fall and break a limb. Not enough and the blood pressure remains raised, negating the effects we were trying to achieve. Some drugs require regular blood test to watch for changing in metabolic function, which would then need a change, or stopping the medication. It has become more much complicated.
We will always be as helpful as we can when people are running out of medications, but this requires people to come and be followed up at regular intervals to check all is ok. It really is in the best interest of us all, and not because I am trying to be difficult.

Shane gave Beaumont Street Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Surgery

The best surgery to be registered at. The GPs are very considerate and make sure they follow up on the treatment. I regret relocating outside of Oxford, haven't found a practice as good.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 November 2016

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 11 January 2017

Thank you Shane for leaving your kind words of encouragement, I hope you will find another surgery with which you can make a positive relationship.

Changing GP surgeries can be an anxious time particularly if you have found someone you can relate to. But do not worry, as the 30,000 GPs out there are all drawn from a wide cross section of personalities and all share the same desire, to help.
Choosing a surgery has had much written about it, and 75% of the time it is based purely on geography. Much is based on friend’s experiences, and how individuals you may know have got on at a particular practice. There is nothing better than actually meeting the person and deciding if you like them or not. Nowadays most of us are part time and have also subspecialised, so you will register with a practice or a group of practices, and find that a test or procedure, or specialist opinion is given or made by someone other than your named GP. This is actually very good practice and means you will get the best the practice can offer.

I am delighted that we were what you were looking for, and I am confident there is another practice out there that will be just what you need.

Truly exceptional practice

I have worked as an interpreter/translator for 4 languages from 1999 - 2007 for public services including GP practices and hospitals all over UK and this practice is by far one of the very best in the country. I also studied medicine for three years before I dropped out to do another degree, so I have a reasonable idea how the system works.

Our first born had a number of health related issues for two years, despite numerous appointments with a Paediatric Consultant, visits to our previous GP and A&E, no one picked-up on his issues. No one listened or seem to have cared enough to pick-up on them even some of them were quite obvious.
Once we moved to the area and registered with the practice, from the very first visit, they listened so well, almost all of his issues were diagnosed and eventually treated. The same is true regarding health issues me and other members of my family have had.

They have managed to create an ecosystem within the practice that every member of staff provides a high standard of care.

The reception staff, nurses, midwives, health visitors, and GPs:
- Listen; You do not feel like a symptom presented needing treatment, but rather you feel like an actual human being.
- Care and respect; you do not get asked personal questions by the reception, unless it is necessary, the other staff all show they care and respect your privacy and dignity.
- Knowledge; all the staff we have dealt with, have been very resourceful taking the time needed to explain treatment, side effects, what to expect. When they seemed unsure, they were upfront about it and told us they had to consult a colleague, a book, a site, a journal.
- Are being humans; I have yet to hear anyone in that practice say "the system wont allow me", they bend backwards and forward to make the system work for you, and when it cant, then they explain why not. You dont feel like you are dealing with robots with limited set of functions/commands, who leave no room for understanding.

With a GP like:
- One doctor is honestly by far one of the very best GPs I have ever came across; knowledge, skill, experience, etc.
- Another doctor simply radiates passion and care for the profession and their patients.

You do not hear them complain about time restrictions, even though one knows that they have them just like every other GP in the country. You do not see them compromising on the medication they prescribe, even though they themselves could save more money (no thanks to the new scheme introduced by the Government).

Unlike other practices, when they say we are open on Saturdays, they are actually open. They provide long opening hours on certain days in case if you cant visit your GP in normal working hours.

I genuinely believe that they deserve to win awards for being the best in the country and for others to learn from them.

I have to admit, there is one receptionist, who is very helpful just like the others, but very rarely smiles when dealing with patients.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 17 May 2016

"My friends would say that it is unusual for Dr Carr to be lost for words, but on this occasion there is really only one. Thank you. Thank you for making the time and effort to post this review, thank you for the kind words and the warmth of your comments and thank you for recognising what is our fundamental driving philosophy and how it is not just one group in an organisation who are important. Each person has a pivotal role in the delivery or care and at every stage that an individual has the opportunity to shine. We are all bouyed up by your kind words, do help us to continue to provide the sort of care you wish for"

Great doctors

I've only been to the GP twice for a simple yet persistent problem that I have. Both doctors have been extremely understanding, friendly and careful in explaining the issues I was having with my body. I'm really happy with their services.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 08 February 2016

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 30 March 2016

I remember discovering that it was as hard to receive positive feedback, as it was to receive negative. Somehow we would get use to the constant tabloid barrage of criticism about care in the NHS.
But like a bright light in a dark place the swell of pride when something goes well and is acknowledged is so very rewarding you wish you could bottle it.
We all go into medicine for a plethora of reasons but none do it to make mistakes, or make people unhappy. It is a vocation that draws you to want to serve others and to use the gifts and skills you have in the service of others. For which we are rewarded.
Thank you for this reward, as it means much to us. At a time when many parts of the service are dissected and counted, measuring an un-measureable factor becomes too difficult. Measuring the measurable tells but half the story. Kindness, empathy, time, the extra mile for a vulnerable person in a time of need is invisible within out current system, unless someone goes out of their way to make it visible.
Thank you.
May we continue to be a safe source of comfort and kindness, friendliness and understanding.

Victoria Foster gave Beaumont Street Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Thoroughly impressed.

I had accidentally booked an appointment in the practice next door, as I have just moved to Oxford and it was all a bit confusing. Although next door would not honor my appointment, after explaining the situation to the receptionist they were extremely understanding. The receptionist suggested I could book in for an appointment the following morning, but when I stated I needed emergency contraception as I would run out of the pill, the receptuonist actually contacted a doctor left in the building to see if there was anything they could do (as the surgery was due to close very soon). I managed to get an appointment (which really surprised me as this is not something which ever happens!) and not only that but the doctor was kind and did a full consultation to make sure the pill was still the right one for me. I couldn't recommend this surgery more after this experience as they went above and beyond, and did not have to do half as much as they did for me. Working in a GP environment can be stressful but despite this, they were respectful and kind to me despite my blunder which was not their fault in any way. Thank you so much! :)

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 16 October 2016

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 08 November 2016

Thank you Victoria for you kind words and for leaving your name, I am sure that the doctor and receptionist who arranged this and saw you will be quite pink with happiness that you have written.

I remember having my leg pulled by colleagues when stood up to make a speech about clinical practice in the West Country, and “ how difficult it was for me to be right all the time”.

I was quite correctly reminded that we are mortal and we will all make mistakes, forget appointments or run out of medications. (Turn up 30 minutes late for their Saturday surgery!)

It is a fact of our human system that we have built in a degree of understanding from both sides of the counter. As I get older and will in turn spend more time as a patient than as a clinician I would wish to go to a surgery like the one we have here at 28.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is a very famous quote but it has at its heart a degree of compassion for the fact we are all fallible and will sooner or later require the understanding and help of another.

May you always be met with a helpful response from our surgery because that’s what makes us tick. Thank you

Robin Carr

28 Beaumont Street Practice

This is a small and friendly practice. I would recommend this practice to anyone because all the staff, including doctors and nurses, seem to try to do all they can to help you. Sometimes you have to wait for your appointment time, but then you do get quality attention when you are seen. The reception staff are very helpful too.

The practice is located in one of the grand old terraced buildings in Beaumont Street. One down side is there is no parking except in public spaces, so would not be ideal if you like to travel to places by car. Its right in the centre of town so very accessible by public transport.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 29 May 2015

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 17 September 2015

Thankyou is the word this entry inspires. Practicing 21st century medicine from historic buildings has a number of challenges, some are listed here. However it is not the fabric of the place but the people within it that deliver the service and make it what it is. We are a happy surgery and hope that it is obvious, pleased and proud of what we can do. We are developing our strengths and looking to mitigate some of the drawbacks of a 5 storey terraced building has. In the end, it is what happens in the consulting room that counts, and that could be done anywhere with great professionalism.

Reception

I have been a patient at the surgery for many years and the reception are staff are always very polite and helpful. My prescription request is always dealt with swiftly and I never have a problem getting an appointment.

Very impressed with the new Doctor team.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 07 March 2014

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 17 September 2015

Thankyou for these kind words. In these days when you cannot turn on the radio without hearing an NHS bad news story it is wonderful to receive some positive feedback. I am sure the constant reference to failing targets and missed outcomes has a corrosive effect on the whole service. Caring about other people is not a skill you can learn, or go on a course, it comes within, and what is what attracts people to join the health service. Measuring only the numeric is likely to produce very inhuman form of medicine. The softer uncountable moments, kindly reassuring words on the phone when you are anxious count for much and can often go unnoticed. Thank you for noticing. It means a great deal to all of us.

Val Walton reviewed Beaumont Street Surgery

office staff

I have been a patient at this practice for many years and the office staff were always extremely helpful but this has changed considerably now. They are not at all helpful and in my personal experience recently the person I talked to was very rude and I disconnected my call.
We are coming up to the Christmas holiday and as I will be away from Oxford I tried to order a repeat prescription but I eventually telephoned to try to sort out my request. In desperation I am now obliged to visit the surgery in person . This is not good from a surgery reception.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 23 December 2013

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 16 December 2014

It is always sad to read such a review about your own surgery and I am sure that it was an unhappy person who made this comment. No doctor, nurse or receptionist starts the day trying to be a problem, it is a deep yearning to help others that has driven us all into the caring service.
But all of us will recall the times when the “last straw breaks the camel’s back” and through pressure of work or other pressures, unseen ,internalized, but still there, that then causes anyone one of us to be short.
Each and every conversation on the phone is unique, but unknown to the person calling will be the countless other calls taken by a receptionist. Balancing the anxieties and wants of those calling in with the abilities of a surgery to meet those wants and needs, and it is a difficult balancing act.
We all hear how the NHS is under pressure, and how some practices have responded, but we listen very carefully to what our patients say, take on board their comments and feedback( no matter how uncomfortable that maybe) so that we can improve.
I am sorry to this person who was distressed by their contact with the surgery, and we will internalise this and change to see if it can be avoided in the future.
I have spent a career of looking at the qualities in systems; “restlessness for improving things”. This comment will only make us all try harder. But do understand the difficulties a practice experiences with looking after lots of people. Dr Carr.

Anonymous gave Beaumont Street Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Rude and unhelpful

The staff here are rude and unhelpful. There are often locums who have no interest in finding anything out about you. I would not recommend this surgery.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 25 October 2013

Beaumont Street Surgery replied on 16 December 2014

I am sorry to read this post and comment about “our staff”, because it is such a general accusation. When someone calls into a surgery they are often distressed or anxious and this is a potent mixture of emotions. In the event that a wish is not met, or not delivered in a timely fashion it can be interpreted in a number of ways. My experience of reception,( and yes I have spent a day as a receptionist) is that it is a difficult job and pretty thankless. They try their very best to deliver what an individual has requested.
Some things require the advice of others or permission from authority to act upon; and this delay can sometimes be seen as deliberate, or obstructive. Many of the systems put into place in a practice are born out of previous experience, or the experiences of others. We all try to learn, every step of the way from one another, and not just medical things, but also in the delivery of that medicine.
I am sorry that this person would not “recommend this surgery to others” as I believe “others” will miss out. I have had the pleasure of working in a number of GP surgeries in the UK and abroad, and the young team of doctors and nurses, managers and reception staff, is one of the nicest I have worked with.
75% of the time a patient chooses a GP surgery on the basis of geography, and 25% it is a mixture of word of mouth, personal recommendations or the facilities or services that surgery offers. GPs are not allowed to advertise, as they do in North America. In Oxford where there are many practices and dozens of GPs an individual is spoilt for choice, and often it may take a change or two to find the GP you want. It was once said “there are 39,000 GPs and 39,000 ways of doing general practice”. I could not agree more with this statement, as we are all individuals and a great part of our consulting style is based on our own personality. You may want a GP who is younger, or older, male or female, town or country, and so the list goes on. One thing you can be sure of, is we are all capable, able and passionate about our craft. That also goes for “locums” who are not as described “no interest in finding out about you.”
I did a number of locum posts in Oxfordshire before settling in one area, and I did not undergo a personality change. It is very much more difficult as a locum, because you do not know what has gone before, but this should not be interpreted as a particularly bad thing.
You will find us all asking very similar questions as part of our “history taking”. In traditional UK medical practice the doctor takes a history, or story, from a person, and from a combination of cross referenced validated questions that we all learn, you come to about 80% of the diagnoses. If you fail to ask questions, or you assume you know the answer, you can miss vital clues, or subtle changes in symptoms. Which is why the locums often make certain diagnosis more than the existing doctors. Locums are also very individual, like every doctor.
We do ask doctors to do locums in the surgery, and we try to keep the number low so that they get to know us and we them. I hope you will look upon them in a different light, many are just starting out, like I was. Dr Carr