WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE

Telephone: 01895-233881
Address: 20 Pield Heath Road, Hillingdon, Middlesex, UB8 3NG
Website: www.londongp.org.uk

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Extremely poor service - register elsewhere!

I have been registered with the practise for a few years now and would not recommend it at all. I have never been able to get an appointment without a 7-10 day wait which is completely unacceptable. The receptionists are brusque and at times quite rude, some of the staff have very poor spoken English. They also advise people to "just go to A&E if you want to be seen sooner than a week's time which is ridiculous and totally inappropriate. A&E is not a walk in GP service and should not be used as such. I have found the medical knowledge of the doctors quite shaky at times. Overall, extremely poor service and I would not recommend at all.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 31 March 2014

Rude Staff

This GP gets through a number of staff, I think the ones that stay are taught to be as rude to patients as they can. When you approach the reception desk, you are totally ignored, despite the face that the receptionist has looked at you, then turns away and goes off to do something else and leaves you standing there. This has happened to me and my husband on a number of occasions when we have gone in to collect prescriptions. The glass partition is kept closed and patients are ignored, even if there is a queue forming. The Dr has forgotten to send referrals and emails that I have sent them have been lost or overlooked.

I feel they need to review the staff they take on, and give them basic training on how to deal with patients and emails.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 07 March 2014

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Where are the doctors with the right attitude to patients?

My family and I are registered at the clinic for over 7 years but the year 2013 is the last. I've never been happy with the staff, the receptionists never smile to patients, they can not do nothing without the consent of the owner, absolutely nothing.
I even got the impression that if someone from the staff is nice, smiling and helpful, quickly loses their job in this facility.
In previous years, I had a few unpleasant visits to the GP, after which I had a feeling of frustration. A common advice for treatment was quoted: "When you go to your country, you have to visit a doctor there." !? I live and work in England, why do I have to fly abroad to the doctors?
From day one, I had the feeling that I am not treated seriously, and already certainly not as an individual patient, just as another grumpy patient who needs to be settled for another 10 minutes.
Many of these and other situations that could be described here but what scares me the most in this facility is the fact that it resembles a funeral home and the administrations of patients, not the clinic with helpful and friendly staff.
A few months ago I had a panic attack caused by symptoms that I found when I went for help I was seen by a doctor who showered me the names of any disease and without emotional approach to my person. They did not even asked about the attack and my emotional state, at my request on the merits of medication for sedation, even I did not get any reply.
I live in a big stress and afraid of the fall into depression and I know that I need to escape from the surgery as soon as possible, I record myself and the rest of the family to another where people work with a human approach and understanding.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 27 December 2013

Will be going Private

I dislike this surgery with a passion. The waiting room is usually over crowded and some posters are falling off the walls.
Reception staff don't seem to understand patient confidentiality, even between family members.
One GP is the rudest and most uncaring person I ever met.
I last went to them complaining of insomnia and suicidal thoughts are after a serious long term relationship fell apart and I was left homesless. They laughed in my face and told me to get over it. It wasn't until I showed them that I had been self harming that they stopped laughing. I felt degraded and so embarrassed because of them.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 26 July 2013

earlyhigh gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Lies about appointments times - horrible surgery and staff

Me and my family (including my 2 year old daughter) always are forced to wait lengthy times despite being given certain appointment times which this surgery refuses to keep as it seems to have little or no respect or regards for their patients health.

Personally speaking, as a working man who finds it difficult to get time off work, I find this type of unprofessionalism completely unacceptable. I am asthmatic as well in my 40's with certain health problem care requirements - I truly cannot afford to be mistreated by my GP's surgery.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 24 July 2013

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 02 August 2013

We are very sorry to learn you have been experiencing delays. Let us reassure you first we don’t lie about appointment times. We give appointments at 10 minute intervals which is standard in General Practice. The Nurse is given 20minutes for certain conditions, in fact, you had a 20 minute appointment with the Nurse on that day . We try very hard to keep to set appointment times and usually this is possible although sometimes there are inevitably unavoidable delays. On occasions the Doctors or Nurses may have a patient that needs more than the standard 10 minutes. Clinicians may come across a patient with bereavement or one who has complex issues. Occasionally doctors have to refer patients to the Hospital and contacting a Hospital Duty Doctor to discuss this can take lots of time as well. The Nurses also have to approach the Doctor for advice from time to time and this can also take more time. There may be a time when you or a member of your family require extra time with a Nurse or Doctor and I am sure you would appreciate the extra care in such circumstances and this would then lead to other patients appointments being delayed.

I have investigated the incident and the nurse had a few challenging patients on that day who required more time than the usual 10 minutes. However, my investigation also reveals that you came to the reception desk and swore at the female receptionist before leaving after 20 minutes of waiting. You have no right to swear at our staff because you had to wait for more than 20 minutes. We have a zero tolerance policy .We have the responsibility of protecting our staff from abusive behaviour. We will enact the practice policy regarding this.

Anonymous reviewed WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE

Can never get appointment at this GP!

I have been with West London Medical Centre for just over a year. I find the receptionists incredibly rude asking you what wrong with you when they are not allowed to ask. They argue the toss constantly making you feel undervalued. I can never get an emergency appointment, twice now I ended up in A+E!

They don't listen to you and end up giving you the wrong precriptions which is a waste of my money! Really angry and I am finding a new GP who understands patient care and dignity!

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 27 June 2013

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 02 September 2013

All our staff are trained to ask basic questions concerning the reason why the patient is requesting an emergency appointment. This is to help the Doctor as he has to prioritise the messages. This information is requested with respect and confidentiality. The staff do not argue while receiving information about the perceived emergency. Neither do they undervalue any of our patients. We are pleased to say that they receive compliments on a daily basis from patients. We don’t normally ask for the reason to see a doctor for routine appointments. However, we do ask the reason to see the nurse because some conditions need a double appointment with the nurse. There are occasions when a call back is delayed due to circumstances beyond our control like incorrect or unreachable telephone number. We have looked through the records of emergency appointment requests and noted on 27th June, we had one incident when the doctor could not get through to the patient due to an incorrect telephone number that was left. We could not find a working telephone number from the patient’s records. When the patient rang again, we obtained the correct telephone number and informed the doctor. Before the doctor rang, we were informed that the patient was going to A&E and a call back was no longer necessary.

We have gone through our significant event log and are unable to find any incidents where wrong prescriptions were given. We are unable to verify this as a true incident. Please contact our senior practice administrator to discuss this and any other difficulties you may have. We will look through your concerns via our in house procedures.

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Disgusted with the service and Gp!!!

It's unbelievable to imagine to know a Gp surgery exists the way this one does!!
The service by reception staff is rude, arrogant underming.
The Gp also undermines you, makes you feel stupid, is rubbish at referrals and the service is disgusting.
Had we have known this surgery is rubbish we would have never joined!!
Stay away!

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 20 June 2013

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 18 July 2013

We are the fastest growing practice in Hillingdon and our practice list has doubled over years in the absence of any major housing projects locally. Most of our patients come to us by word of mouth. We have also moved into new premises in order to expand our services to meet the new demand. Our patients are delighted with new premises that was opened by the Mayor of Hillingdon . We were also partners with local council in promoting physical activity during the London Olympics and the walks project we set up as a result of this is very popular. The number of doctors and healthcare and admin staff has gone up to improve our services to our patients. Majority of doctors are members of Royal college of GPs and principal GP is the lead GP for Continuing professional GP education in Hillingdon and has been appointed as a GP appraiser for North West London . The doctors and nurses do not undermine the patients.
The hospital referrals are only made when they are clinically appropriate and lots of services are moving to community as part of on-going reconfiguration of NHS. This can leave some patients frustrated because they are not allowed to see a hospital specialist . We do many procedures in house and refer patients to community services to ensure patient gets the best service in closer to home.
We take pride in our staff at The West London Medical Centre for always being helpful and courteous.
We constantly update training to ensure that staff manage patient requests and carry out their duties in an efficient and polite manner.
We encourage our patients to raise any concerns with senior practice administrator first in order to address any concerns via the in house procedure.

Stay Away

Reception very unhelpful bordering on rude - doctors not much better. I have now changed my GP so not my problem anymore.

Visited in October 2012. Posted on 14 May 2013

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 18 July 2013

We are very sorry to learn that you found receptionists and doctors unhelpful. We will be very keen to learn more about your specific experiences that will help us to improve our services.
We are constantly receiving chocolates, biscuits and thank you cards from patients complimenting us on our standard of care and our concern for their welfare.
We encourage our patients to raise any concerns with the senior practice administrator first in order to address any concerns via the in house procedure.

Flabbergasted gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Rude, unhelpful and treat patients with contempt!

Couldn't agree more with other reviewers - this surgery is an absolute disgrace. I went there yesterday to register as I have recently moved to the area. I arrived at approx. 3:15 pm and was told in no uncertain terms that 'we only accept registrations between 11-12 and 2-3 pm'. Looking at the overview page on this website it clearly states: 'We are currently accepting new patients - Please register during reception hours' which on the day in question were 8-12 and 2-6 pm. . No mention there of these specific times for registration. Now the surgery was empty and there were 3 receptionists doing nothing in particular so I would expect any half-decent customer service personnel to at least try and be helpful. All I got from them was a parroted rendition of 'It is practice policy - we cannot accept the forms at this time, I am only doing my job'. Well I think you will find that is exactly what you weren't doing. Your job is to help patients and not cause unnecessary grief!

Literally all that was required was for me to hand in 2 forms which had already been filled and for them to take 2 photocopies of my ID and there was a working copier just 1 meter away! Conservatively I would expect this process to take 1-2 minutes at most - but no they preferred to spend 20 minutes continually telling me: 'It is practice policy - we cannot accept the forms at this time'. They could not explain the reasoning behind this policy or even why their website information is so wrong and why I should have to take another afternoon off work just so that they could stick to their ludicrous practice policy. Having waited 30 minutes for the doctor to arrive - apparently the only person who can explain this 'Practice Policy' that must be rigidly adhered to - I decided to leave as I was with my 3 year old daughter and I will certainly not be returning!

Shame on you.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 11 May 2013

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 18 July 2013

We are very sorry to learn about your experience.
The overview of the page you are referring is the NHS Choices standard template and does not reflect practice policy .We are unable to edit this . However , there is a link to our practice website in the how to register section of NHS choices site and our practice website has all the details needed.
With regards to new patient registration times, we would like to state that we do accept these during off peak hours. While submitting the new patient details we get some rejected by NHS registrations department due to incomparability of details. For the benefit of prospective patients we meticulously check all details on each and every application form to avoid any delays in the registration process. We wish to offer a high quality service to our existing patients and we make sure the service provision is not interrupted while we welcome new patients.

We had a busy surgery at that time and the receptionist did not have time to accept your documents . There were other patients queuing and she felt the overwhelming need to serve them but was unable to do so due to prolonged conversation explaining the practice policy. The other 2 receptionists were very busy answering phone calls from our patients and were unable to help you. Some of the frustrated patients have given us written report in support of practice staff.

We have, however, noted your comments and added 2 extra 30 minutes sessions in the evenings to help prospective patients. These are 6-630pm on a Tuesdays and Thursdays and this was put in place in the middle of May 2013.

We encourage our prospective patients to raise any concerns directly with senior practice administrator first in order to address any concerns via the in house procedure.

JD gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Worst GP practice I have ever experienced!

The receptionists are really rude. They do not even try to be helpful and cannot explain the most basic of 'Practice Policies' no matter how nonsensical . Additionally the doctor has a really high opinion of themselves.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 10 May 2013

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 18 July 2013

I am very sorry to learn your experience but let me assure you that we are committed to delivering best care to our patients.
Our duly qualified doctors are committed to the care and peer education. The principal GP was voted in by NHS Hillingdon peers as ‘ GP of the Year ‘ in 2009.

Please visit the my health London website to see results of patient survey

No organisation can run without policies and protocols and they are in place to ensure safety of patients and staff as well as smooth running of day to day work. The receptionists will explain to best to their ability but should you need clarification of any policies please contact our senior practice administrator who will be more than happy to explain