Can you help us improve?

Take part in our short survey

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE

01895-233881 20 Pield Heath Road, Hillingdon, Middlesex , UB8 3NG

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Receptionist staff Lack of communication

Over many years I have suffered uncomfortable stomach pains which grew worse over the last year. I persisted for a blood test which they initially tried to talk me out of. I also told them what I wanted to be tested for, after having to do my own research (?!!)
The results came back as positive for Coeliac Disease, which I believe I have had since adolescence from research conducted.
They then sent me for a biopsy in the small intestine and told me the results will come back in one month. I rang in 6 weeks as i didnt hear anything. I spoke to 2 different receptionists across 2 days as neither of them knew what i was talking about when i rang for my biopsy results. They just kept saying to me "your blood test results came back already and confirmed you have Coeliac Disease" which they couldn't even pronounce.

After my chasing and frustration with the incompetent receptionists, someone finally rang me back and told me my results for the biopsy came back as positive. Also, the results had come back within a week of my biopsy, but as no one informed me this information came to me 2 months late.

I could write further issues i have had with the Doctors at this surgery but i will be here all day.
It appears that nowadays you have to diagnose yourself as you have to do your research and tell them what you want! I will now be registering with a new doctor and potentially go private.

I never write reviews as i never have the time but i had to spare the time to write about how poor the service, care and knowledge at this practice is.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 11 April 2016

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 15 April 2016

You saw the doctor on 4th of September 2015 to discuss your abdominal symptoms for the 1st time and the Doctor gave you a blood form. The blood test results were received by the Practice in November 2015 following which you were offered an appointment with the GP. On 16.11.2015 you saw the GP who explicitly told you that you have coeliac disease. It was explained to you that it was a standard procedure to refer patients for specialist gastroenterologist and given a choose and book appointment to see a specialist. You left the consulting room with a fixed time and date of the appointment that the GP booked while you were in the consulting room. The GP also gave you diet advice.
When we refer patients to hospital they investigate patients and see in OPD to discuss the outcome of any investigations, in your case endoscopy and biopsy of intestine. The GP did not tell you that you will have the results within a month and if anyone did tell you this, it may be the hospital specialist who did the test. This histology report would have gone to the consultant in charge who would have informed you of the results during the ‘post endoscopy’ consultation. Your endoscopy and biopsy were done in December 2015. At our end we knew you had coeliac disease based on blood test results and you had been notified about this during the consultation on 16th November 2015.
We have no capacity to inform every patient about test results which hospitals are obliged to inform them as part of their management. If we start doing that we will not have the time to see patients with new undiagnosed problems.
Following your call, the secretary rang the hospital on 24.2.2016 and reminded that you had not had a follow up appointment and we were told you will be seen in the beginning of April 2016.
From our part we have investigated you without delay and made a prompt referral to the specialist. We note you took 2 months to do the blood test when the first doctor gave you the blood test form but since we received the blood tests results on 4th of November 2015 you were seen and given the diagnosis on 16th November 2015 and on the same day the GP booked an appointment to see the specialist for 2nd December 2015. We believe you had the procedure on 23rd of December 2015. We are sorry to learn you had delays in Hospital contacting you for a follow up appointment and you may raise this directly with hospital.
Our receptionists are lay people and we are sorry they could not pronounce ‘Coeliac disease’ to your satisfaction. Be assured they are always willing to help and assist you in every possible way.
The easiest thing to do if you raise any other concerns will be to contact me directly and I will be happy to assist you. We are sorry that you have decided to leave us but we will be doing our utmost to care for the rest of your family members to the best of our ability.

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 2 stars

Absolute misery!

1.Went to the surgery as a routine check for my Urticaria, and was told that they would recommend a private Dermatologist if I had private insurance!! They also said that this was because the NHS was quite backed up and I wouldn't receive any treatment in the very foreseeable future!
2.Faced issues where my son was put on a treatment to eradicate problems of eczema but suddenly the treatment was stopped without even seeing whether the problem was resolved.
3.Subsequent interactions have all been quite bad with the attitude bordering on profiling where we as patients are being singled out.

Several emails to the Practice Manager didn't result in any actions. Have written to the CQC and awaiting some response.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 15 January 2016

Vijaya Raghava reviewed WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE

This is what can happen to you if you badly need your GP!!!!

Dear All,

I just wanted to share and let you know that this is what can happen to you if you are helplessly dependent on this GP!

Called this GP reception on 24th July 2015 on 01895233881 at 9:00 AM, booked an appointment on 03-Aug-2015 at 8:40 AM, turn up for teh appointment and try to check in at NHS, you wont be available on their system, go ask the Reception, and they give you a gentle smile and say something funny happening with our systems, we can give you an appointment next week. Let me wait and see if they have any curtousey to make my appointment next on 11th Aug 2015 at 6:30 PM!

Please Note - You no more get messages or any confirmation from NHS to prove you made a call and got this appointment. This is all verbal. They can decide on whom they wish to see and whom not!

What a Pain if you badly needed to meet and you are obliged to work regular hours where you cant take permissions to suit this GP when they miss their appointments??? Pain in the Back!!!

Cheers,
Vijaya Raghava

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 03 August 2015

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 03 August 2015

I am sorry there was a mix up with your appointment this morning.

Unfortunately it is impossible to confirm why this could have happened, when checking we did not have an appointment for you at 9am this morning on our computer system.

The receptionist did offer you an appointment at 9.40am this morning to try and help but unfortunately you could not wait.

You then asked for an appointment after work one day and we gave an appointment at 6.30pm on 11 August which was the soonest appointment we could offer in a late clinic.

I note your comments about “this is all verbal” and not receiving “confirmation from NHS to prove you made a call”, unfortunately when appointments are made on the telephone there is no system for confirming the appointment made. To make things easier for you, you can register for online bookings so that you can book online in future. Please contact the Surgery for details of how to do this.

Please accept my apologies and do not hesitate to contact me at the Practice if you wish to discuss this further.

Laszlo Takacs gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

New baby registration

I asked the process about the new registration for my new born son over the phone and went to the GP the next day with all the documents they need. The reception staff gave me the forms to fill in, never asked whether I have everything with me just started to close the window. I asked if it is possible to fill and give back straight away and the simple and rude answer was "it is not the right time now". It was 10:48 Wednesday.

Copy from the home page:
"We accept the registration forms and supporting documents only from 11am-12 (Mon-Fri)"

You can imagine I would have needed 5-10 minutes to complete the forms and there we go it is nearly 11 am. A simple "just fill the forms and I can take it in a few minutes" could have been perfect for me.

I am absolutely disgusted with the rudeness and carelessness of the reception staff and really thinking of leaving the GP.

Regards,
Laszlo Takacs

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 20 May 2015

Moh gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

No available appointments! Can see you in 8 to 10 days!

Reading other patients (so many negative) comments, I can truly relate to the most common ones.
The main one is getting an appointment with this surgery. Everyone seem to mention they were told to come in 8-10 days. I called this morning (07/01/2015) for an appointment and was told to come on 15/01/2015.
This is a local GP surgery not a shop delivering a fridge to me house! My health might not wait this long. I don't understand the logic, is my health so unimportant that I have to wait for it to completely deteriorate so I can call for emergency appointment or go to A&E?!? Also, It's so true, the receptionist did advised me to go to A&E too. Every day in the news I hear that the government is asking patients not to go to A&E & to visit the local GP yet the local GP surgery telling me to go to A&E. This is a vicious circle!
The receptionist did also suggest I can request an emergency appointment but correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't this just add to the delay; other patients already having?
The other issue is working hours, 8am - 6pm for 4 days, one half day & no weekends. Again, this is a local GP surgery not a shop, even shops now cater for the majority of public who work at these hours and open for longer hours and the weekends. I appreciate that the surgery is not operated by robots and surgery staff also have the right to reasonable working hours but what alternatives do I have?!? What kind of system is this that runs a surgery at hours not useable to the majority?!?
I have to say though, I haven't had a bad experience with any of the staff and they all seems to be polite and professional and when requested, was given emergency appointment after a short while but I simply cannot put my health (I suffer from bronchitis) in the hand of a surgery that is constantly unavailable... so good luck but I have to look for some other GP surgery.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 07 January 2015

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 5 stars

Invaluable Service

One of the receptionists took the time and trouble to phone me this morning regarding my prescription renewal. This is typical.

As a patient attending the West London Medical Centre for many years, I have always received outstanding service from all the reception staff, practice nurses and doctors.

The doctor is nothing short of brilliant. They and their colleagues have always taken the time to listen attentively, carry out thorough examinations and patiently list the optional courses of action available.

When another superb professional retired years ago, I was initially concerned about the future.

But the doctor has worked wonders. As well as the usual walk-in clinics, they do everything in their, power to encourage folk to break the smoking habit, adopt healthy lifestyles in general and even organises health promoting walks. A glance at the website reveals the wealth of medical services on offer.

In short, the doctor - together with all his colleagues at the West London Medical Centre - provides an invaluable service, a priceless support underpinning the local community.

THW

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 22 January 2015

Anonymous reviewed WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE

Incompetent!/ desperate need of a fix up in all departments!

From the start this centre has never made any good impact whatsoever on me. I see people coming in and out disgruntled by the service they receive. The staff here provide innaccurate informatikn regarding appointments, prescriptions, scans, tests, you name it. You're told something, only later to be told something else by another person. There is a severe lack of communication between the staff and that's only the start of it's problems. I wouldn't in a lifetime recommend this centre to anyone and i would without hesitation seriously refer this place to an inspection from the care quality commission as this centre has been getting away with awful treatment and practices for far too long.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 01 December 2014

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 04 December 2014

We have noted your comment which is the same as the email you sent to the Practice email yesterday.

We have identified you from your email and it would appear that you are not a patient at this Practice.

If you still think this is the correct Practice can I please ask you to contact me because we do not feel we have any problems here that correspond with your comments.

Deanna gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Not good

Fail to care
Ignores patient's symptoms
I find it better to go to chemist and speak to the pharmacist.
Hard to get appointments, I just tried as my asthma check & flu jab due but was told no appointments for this week, you will have to phone back next week. This will probably continue for next few weeks until the only appointment that will be available will be one that I will have to take time off work to attend but as it will have gone on for so long I will have no choice but to accept.
They hold walk in clinic on a Saturday for flu jabs but didn't inform me when this was, when I checked their website I found that it had already be held. When I phoned for my appointment I was told they will not be making appointments for flu jabs until all walk in clinics have been held, the fact that I missed the Saturday one an the other is on a week day when I will be at work didn't matter.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 30 September 2015

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 23 November 2015

I am sorry you had to post a comment here as I am always available to help. Eligible patients start ringing us early to check our walk-in flu clinic times and we inform them over the phone. The dates are also published on our website and in the surgery. I suggest you pro-actively ring or visit out website next season to check the dates for our walk-in clinics. We have one on a weekend especially to assist patients like yourself. We need to get through a large number of patients each season hence we conduct walk in clinics. We also have early and late nurse clinics where we can offer an appointment for flu jabs.
Due to the time of year, we get a high volume of appointment requests. I suggest you register for our online appointment system to help you book appointments at your convenience. Please visit our website for details.

asim reviewed WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE

Registration issue

Hi,
i just want to write down about my registration issue.i went to registration myself,because my wife and son is registered there.But they refused me to register because of passport, because my passport is in home office for renew my visa,that is not a reasonable .After that i am really feeling homeless.its ridiculous i am feeling very low.i dont know where to go for my treatment.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 03 July 2014

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 07 August 2014

I have spoken to all members of staff and nobody has any recollection of meeting you. We do have a new patient registration policy that is applied uniformly to all patients without discrimination. If a patient is not able to meet the standard documentation requirements for registration they are referred to me and you were not referred for my assistance.

If you think we are the Practice where you had difficulty in registering with, then please call 01895 233881 and ask to speak to me .

Yvonne Blowfield
Senior Practice Administrator

Anonymous gave WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Not as good as they once were

I have been at this surgery for three years, am a health care professional myself. I have several issues with this surgery.

The first of which is that it would frustrate me that there was a two hour gap in the middle of the day when the telephone service to the GP was suspended. As most people work 9-5, this middle portion of the day is when most people have their lunch break and are able to call the surgery, I realise that the staff need to have appropriate comfort breaks but they should be overlapped and so at least one person is still able to man the reception. In this day and age, this is completely ridiculous and would be expected of a small village practice, not an inner city busy modern practice.

I have currently started having an ongoing medical problem and have had approximately 4-5 appointments, each of these has been with a different GP meaning that I need to repeat the whole history of the medical problem and history of treatment and where we're upto with it with each of them, which aside from being annoying is actually very draining.

When trying to gain an appointment, having explained that my medications were running out, they were unable to give me an appointment for 8 days. Once my medications had actually ran out, whilst knowing this, the receptionists still took 4 days to process a prescription request despite asking for it urgently, they also refused to have a conversation about it over the phone and insisted on me emailing them, to which they didn't reply.

I have recently moved house and requested to stay with the surgery as they have been dealing with my current medical problem and it wouldn't make sense for another surgery to take it on, I asked the receptionist upon completing the 'change of address' form that someone call me to inform me if they would be unable to continue my care, to which they laughed and said of course they would call me. 10 days letter I had a letter from Primary Care Support Service advising that my GP had informed them that they would not continue care and that I needed to find another surgery or I would be unregistered. This was completely inappropriate. If they were not going to continue my care, they should inform me first not the health authority, particularly given that I specifically asked the question. It makes you seem like a number to this surgery and not a patient.

When I first joined the surgery it was a much smaller practice and I was very happy with the care there, I persistently saw the same doctor making the patient experience much better, since they have expanded, the service has rapidly gone downhill. I hope this surgery quickly realises this and does something about it, but I fear it isn't and won't. In its current state, I would not recommend this practice.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 05 June 2014

WEST LONDON MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 14 July 2014

I wish to comment as I am able to identify you

We close for lunch 12.30-2 because this is an opportunity for clinical staff to catch up on outstanding tasks from the morning & pass messages to the afternoon staff. Staff use this time to complete any admin duties from the morning & handover to afternoon staff. It is not uncommon for GP Surgeries to have a break

I understand the frustration seeing different Doctors but this prevents unacceptable waiting when your usual GP is booked but all Doctors have your records on computer. As the practice list grows we need more doctors

You say when explaining you were running out of medication you had to wait 8 days for an appointment, normally this type of request would be referred to Principal GP for advice & you would be given an emergency appointment or emergency prescription until we could offer an appointment

Our staff are instructed not to accept prescription requests verbally this is to prevent errors occurring

We asked you to email the request and we responded within 2 hours. We noted you attended Urgent care centre for medication before we responded

It is Practice Procedure to advise patients moving out of our catchment area to register with a local Doctor to continue services close to home. It is sometimes undesirable to move surgeries but your new GP will receive all your records & your care continues uninterrupted

I wrote to you on 3 June advising you register with a local GP as you had moved out of our catchment area. We write to patients as a courtesy when moving out of our catchment area advising them to register with local GP

I have spoken to staff & have been informed that nobody laughed at you

I understand you are unhappy with our Surgery but pleased you wished to stay when you moved

When you joined in 2010 we had 3,350 patients & now have 4,200,we have relocated to larger premises with more staff & consulting rooms therefore the service should be as efficient as when we were a smaller Practice

We do advise patients to keep a close check on medications & not wait until they run out before reordering

You would have received a standard response to your email of 8 May, your email request was reviewed & script was printed on the following day.We note you attended the urgent care centre before we responded to your email on 8 May to request medication

We intend to review our standard response to accommodate patients who have inadvertently run out of medication

According to your records it would appear your previous encounters with the Practice have been OK we noted you called on 7 April requesting to be seen & were given an appointment the same morning

Our routine appointments can sometimes mean a wait but as experienced on 7 April emergencies are usually dealt with on the same day

I am sorry that you put your comments online without speaking to me first as we have a complaints procedure in place to address patient concerns and learn from patient experiences

Yvonne Blowfield