Ritchie Street Group Practice

Telephone: 020 7837 1663
Address: 34 Ritchie Sreet, Angel, London, N1 0DG
Website: http://www.ritchiestreethealthcentre.co.uk

Walk-in appointment

Came for a walk-in appointment at this surgery at the recommendation of the NHS 111 service (a fantastic service - thank you very much) as it was near my office. Although my treatment could be purchased over the counter, the advice was that I should see a GP since I have other related problems that may affect treatment. After explaining this to the duty doctor, they automatically began processing a prescription without examination or explanation. After further prompting I got them to change the medication to an oral one (rather than a cream) since with my little research I thought this is the one I'd prefer and was unable to help any further. The dr simply referred me to my own GP. The appointment lasted all of 30 seconds. It was only the pharmacist in the surgery who took the time to explain it to me properly and talk me through the dosage and expected recovery time. Incredibly disappointing. The GP found it difficult to understand me and made no attempt to practice patient care. On the other hand, the receptionists were fantastic and extremely helpful.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 15 October 2014

Alfonza Perkins gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 1 stars

Rude and unhelpful receptionist, meant to be a multitasking

I went to pick up a prescription to this practice, between 13.30 -14.00, there were 2 people sitting in front, the other one was idle and the other one was typing something. Hence there was no other patient on the queue I went straight to the reception and told them that 'I came to pick up my prescription', they just ignored me or both of them ignored me. Standing up for 2 minutes not saying anything, I just ask, 'Are you going to ignore me', their answer was I am at the middle of doing something and I did not call you on the queue! I was so stunned because I myself work in a doctors surgery and receptionist are multi-tasking. They did not make an effort to acknowledge me, secondly there was no other patient and no queue, so I went straight to them. The way they were typing with one finger, it could be ages by the time they finished what they wererdoing. Do I need to wait to be called before I can go to the reception despite of no other patient, no queue and I was the only one there at the time I arrived? Only then the other one made an effort saying I can help you with that, so they gave me the prescription. I was not happy with the care they are providing and although the previous receptionists were good, they do not seem to be there anymore. I was offered to make a complaint and told them I will put it on their website. The receptionist did not even apologised at all and they were thinking they were right! At the I am working we were slaughtered by a patient who was not even registered because we had a meeting at that day and the surgery provide our lunch. A patient came to ask how to register but he did not have the documentation required at the time he has to come back, and unfortunately I happened to be asking them what do they want for lunch. We were criticised for that because by the time the patient came back the door was shut because we're having a staff meeting. Anyhow that patient still continued to register with us despite saying that he has no confidence with the doctors, because of the way we behaved! So I was just stunned that the receptionist who meant to serve, multitasking wanted me to stood up and waited to be called when there was no other patient at all! At the end I was half-heatedly offered to put a complaint by the other one pretended to look for a complaint form! That receptionist still thought they are doing their job properly, if this is the kind of people they are employing to serve at the front, no skills, no customer care, unrepentant, rude and to the point of ignorant, so I decided to put it on this website. On the other hand I have seen some of the partners and I can only give credit to the the doctor I am registered with but they are always fully booked. So far the registrar I have seen are more credible, more caring than the partners themselves. I will see the registrar all the time because I have every confidence with them to do their job thoroughly.
Some of the partners are grumpy, condescending and un-interested.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

Anonymous gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 1 stars

Would not be my first choice in Islington

The practice is large but has a number of deficiencies. The appointments system doesn't work well. Appointments are sometimes moved without notice as they were recently for my 3 month olds inoculations. On one visit when the auto blood pressure machine was broken nobody seemed able to do it manually and on one visit was told I could only talk about one problem per visit regardless of the facts I had 2. Just switched to Amwell St practice which has been better from the start. Vote with your feet.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 September 2014

Gareth Owen gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 5 stars

Cryotherapy treatment

I saw a dr this morning to arrange the removal of a wart on my finger. They were unsure if the practice could offer this treatment however, but telephoned within two hours to arrange the appropriate procedure. I recently needed tests on my bladder and Street Group Practice arranged this most efficiently. Thank you!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 08 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to post this positive feedback.

Highly satisfactory service

Twice this week I had occasion to visit the practice. On both occasions I was astonished in view of the bad press that GPs all over the country are getting at the excellent and fast
service I received. i arrived on Monday 4th August at 9 a.m. and was seen at 2 minutes past the hour in the Walk in Clinic. Today 6th August I arrived without an appointment at 8 a.m. and saw a very good and caring GP at 8.10 a.m. and came out feeling relieved.
Thank you one and all including the receptionists. I started with the surgery when I was 7 years old when it was the excellent Doctors in Gibson Square, and then it moved to Batchelor Street and now at Ritchie Street which continues the good work.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 07 August 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 08 August 2014

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and bringing some balance to the comments about out service.

Anonymous gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 1 stars

Wrong diagnoses, rude receptionists, unhelpful.

I have been with this surgery for many years , things changed for the worst.

I am a full time working Mum and spent majoirty of my days chasing the surgery to get an app. They don't seem to care that every time i miss days of works to just call in since 8am to manage to get through 15 minutes later to be told there no appointments to cb tomorrow... Can't walk in if not "urgent" . Last week I got an app saw a doctor who just guessed at what my problem could have been, and did nothing about it. So i had to loose another day at work to see another doctor next day, who told me something different and gave me some cream but it did not resolve the problem, and the cream clearly stated on the lable NOT TO USE ON THE FACE !

This week again , called to get an appointment. The receptionist was rude and unhelpful. There were no appointments, may be one in August. There was no walk in if not urgent, basically my problem was left un-resolve and not able to be seen!

I am going to write to the trust as there should be an investigation done and start get real real doctor's in!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 08 August 2014

I am so sorry to read that you had a poor experience at the practice. Demand for appointments is indeed growing and it is not helped with a high number of patients that do not attend their appointments, making it difficult for patients that really need to be seen. We are still working very hard to make improvements to the service and have started a restructure to address the main concerns. I hope your experience is more positive at your next contact with us.

Anonymous gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 1 stars

Doctor refused appointment to toddler with possible meningitis

After waiting on the phone for nearly 20 mins, I finally got through to receptionist. I explained that my 18 month old had a severe rash and I was petrified that it was meningitis. The conferred with doctor, who refused to see my son. I begged them to ask the doctor again as I was desperate. Again the doctor said no.

In tears, I explained that we live 5 mins away and could be there shortly. I just needed to know that my son didn't have meningitis. Again the doctor refused and fobbed us off, telling us to go to A & E.

I had no option but to walk 40 mins to A&E with a sick tired toddler, all the time shaking with fear. When we got to A&E, we had to wait 4 hours to see a doctor. My son was exhausted, sick and very distressed.

Fortunately my son did not have meningitis. The doctor could have told us this in 5 mins. The doctor chose not to. In doing so, they gave me and my son an evening of absolute hell.

In my experience, the doctors at the practice do not care!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 09 June 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 21 July 2014

We are so sorry that you and your son had a poor experience at the practice. The Walkin Service is actually Angel Medical Services and NOT Ritchie Street Group Practice. We are based on the same site. If you have ay other details that you can share, I am happy to investigate the matter.
Practice Manager

Jim Vogiatzis gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 5 stars

GP feedback

I cannot praise my GP at the Ritchie Street Group practice highly enough. They are extremely thorough and professional in dealing with a variety of long term illnesses that I live with and always makes sure they are up to date with current treatments available to me.

The nursing staff are lovely and always go out if their way to put you at ease and have found the receptionists, whether it is face to face or over the telephone to be very friendly, approachable and helpful.

It is also really helpful having a pharmacy on site.

Apostolos James Vogiatzis

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 18 June 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 21 July 2014

Thank you for letting others know of your positive experience at the practice. I have shared your feedback with the team. We appreciate the time that you have taken to show your appreciation.
Thank you.

Unprofessionals

I ve been living in London for almost 2 years and yesterday was the first time I really needed to see a doctor.I had to wait for 3 hours to see a doctor and i was in a real pain. When i finally managed to see them, I received a poor examination and no diagnosis. Afterwards , I went to the reception to make some questions ex. how can i get a blood test, because I don't know how nhs works, and one of the receptionists was very rude, didn't want to give me information. So I left the centre without knowing what I've got and being upset with the rude receptionist

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 20 June 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 08 August 2014

Please do contact us so that we can investigate and address your health needs.

Anonymous gave Ritchie Street Group Practice a rating of 5 stars

Great service

As a patient at Ritchie Street surgery I am extremely happy with the service I receive from the practice. And would recommend it to family and friends. Yes there are times when I can't get to see a GP on the day and time that I want. However since the surgery is now offering a telephone call back service from a GP this eliminates my visit.
When visiting the surgery its great to have a pharmacy on site. So I can email the surgery for a repeat prescription and pick it up from the same place at a time suitable to me.
Checking in for an appointment has been streamlined. I don’t have to wait in a queue anymore; I use the self-check-in automated machine to the right of the reception. I also think the offer an online booking system for appointments. I'll look into that as it would be great for my working hours.
And if I have a friend staying with me who needs to see a doctor rather than wait hours in A&E they can use the Angel Practice walk-in Surgery. It’s based in the same building but offers a walk-in clinic with a doctor.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Ritchie Street Group Practice replied on 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to inform others of your positive experience at the practice. We try very hard to provide an service based on our patients needs. Thank you once again.