Queens Road Surgery

020 7639 1133 136 Meeting House Lane , London, SE15 2UA

Rev Nik Ako gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

My physical and emotional needs have always been attended to

I am a refugee who is now a British citizen. My personal history has meant I have had a lot of personal and sensitive issues. My personal observation is that the Doctors and staff, particularly the Practice Managers, have always gone the extra mile to ensure that both my physical and emotional needs have always been attended to satisfactorily. I am happy to recommend the services of this surgery to friends and family at any time without any doubt.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

Queens Road Surgery replied on 04 May 2017

Dear Patient,

Thank you for taking the time to leave the above feedback about Queens Road Surgery.

We are pleased that we have been able to meet your needs and that you would be happy to recommend us. I have passed your kind comments onto the entire team at the practice.

Krissy M gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service and care

I've lived in London for 5 years and have experienced several different practices. Queens Road Surgery is, by far, the best I've been to. Such friendly, helpful, professional staff that always try to support. The Doctors are all patient and listen, and have given excellent care. I cannot recommend this surgery enough. Well done!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Queens Road Surgery replied on 02 March 2017

Dear Krissy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about Queens Road Surgery.

We try to provide a safe, caring and professional service for all of our patients and it is encouraging to hear about your positive experience.

Not impressed

I went to go and see a doctor about my mental health and simply asked me what drug I wanted to be prescribed (how should I know - I didn't even want or need to be medicated) and I was told to "hurry up" several times when I was sat in front of the doctor crying. I left the appointment feeling worse than when I had gone in. The most recent issue I have had is calling up to book a smear test (an appointment I had already attended once but had not been able to have the procedure due to no one telling me that it has to be done within a specific point of your cycle) to be told that the nurses appointment window for the time that I need to have it done is "blocked". The receptionist didn't have a clue why, I was hazarding more guesses than the receptionist was, and told me to call back on a date closer to the time (when I doubt I will be able to get appointment outside of work hours). I let the first incident slip, doctors work long hours and I did have one success phone consultation. However, standards appear to be low.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 03 February 2017

Queens Road Surgery replied on 02 March 2017

Dear Patient,

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for your poor experience at the surgery. We try and treat all our patients with empathy and respect and I am sorry that we fell short on these occasions.

Our nurse appointments were blocked for the last week of February while we were arranging cover for annual leave. After receiving your feedback we have made sure that all the reception team have been briefed about this.

We have recently added an extra 12 hours of nurse appointments every week to try and make sure that there are convenient appointments available without a long wait. Our nurse works until 7:30pm on Mondays and until 6pm on Tuesdays - Thursdays so please do book an appointment online (southwarkgp.co.uk) or by calling the surgery.

I would be more than happy to meet with you to further discuss the issues that you have raised. Please do send me an email at souccg.qrs@nhs.net.

Just another patient gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Heavily pregnant-stress from reception staff negligence

My wife (heavily pregnant) had an appointment scheduled today. She thought she'd be a few minutes late from work due to trains and called the surgery in advance. The receptionist told my wife if she was 10 mins late her appointment would be cancelled. This sent my wife into panic, she called me to dash to the surgery in time so at least I was physically there to try and secure the booking. I hurried our 7 year old away from her studies and we both ran down there - all the while with the dreaded thought of my 8 months pregnant wife stressed and jogging from the station. As it happens, we all arrived at the same moment, on time for the booking. It was infuriating to find the surgery practically empty, aside from another few 'customers' ahead of us, and with our booking going ahead 20 mins later than scheduled anyway. I queried the reception staff about the matter. The receptionist said they didn't have a clue my wife was pregnant, that computer decides if the booking is cancelled, and it's up to the nurse if the booking then goes ahead. I thought - a doctors receptionist should know in advance who is coming in that day, and have an idea of their condition so as to respond accordingly. Even if that level of service is a struggle, they should at least use their computer to look up a patient should they call to notify of some delay. Simply relaying the late arrival protocol parrot fashion is something the receptionist of a hair salon or nail boutique can afford to get away with. The job of doctors receptionist holds more responsibility, and demands more effort be put in. They went on to inform me they never have late bookings, shortly after which a child patient arrived who was late according to the second receptionist. I also learnt 'the computer' doesn't have as much say over proceedings as the receptionist suggested. All that left the impression the receptionist had more skills in crafting excuses and more interest in reprimanding late patients, than performing the job with the customer as the centerpiece. Of course the practice has to run a tight ship, but there are ways to do that without it being a detriment to customer care. A separate point is that the reception area has a ridiculous security type window with very low opening so patients have to bend down in order to talk to or hear staff. I was first told it was being replaced over a year ago. So that could be an indication of poor management and/or low customer concern. On the bright side, I've not had any problems with the reception any other time, and the doctors and nurses of the practice have always been great.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 13 October 2016

Dear Patient,

Firstly, please accept my apology for the poor experience that you and your wife have had with us at Queens Road Surgery.

As a practice it is important that we have a lateness policy, at Queens Road Surgery all patients are given 10 minutes passed their appointment time to check-in; after which point the appointment system automatically changes the appointment to a DNA (Did Not Attend). With that being said we are aware of the struggles that some patients face and we try to accommodate lateness where appropriate. This decision is always taken by the clinician that the patient is booked in to see.

You have noted that you would expect the receptionist to know the conditions of the patients booked in at the practice; please be assured that due to patient confidentiality the reception team are only permitted to access patient records when deemed appropriate, for example when processing a referral or a medication request. If the patient feels it is important to disclose their condition, they are always welcome to inform the reception team if they feel this will help them be better assisted.

We are sorry that your wife was seen 20 minutes passed her appointment time, unfortunately clinics can be very unpredictable and at times this means a delay in patients being seen.

With regards to our reception desk, please note that the reason this has not been acted upon is because we have been working closely with NHS England to relocate the practice. I am pleased to inform you that we are scheduled to move to 136 Meeting House Lane, SE15 2AU on the 2nd December; we are certain that we can provide a much more comfortable service to our patients from this location.

Once again I am sorry for the poor patient care that you have received from the reception team. Thank you for highlighting this experience to us, this will be shared with the whole team and used to identify training needs within the practice.

We are pleased that you usually have a good patient experience with us at Queens Road Surgery.

I hope this information has been helpful and I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further in person, if you would like to do so please email me at souccg.qrs@nhs.net to schedule a meeting.

Eleanor Barnes gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

A new, impressed patient

After moving down to London, finding a doctors was on the to-do list. Despite the poor reviews for this surgery I joined anyway as I urgently needed a GP appointment. I was unsurprisingly apprehensive due to the slating online review however I couldn't have been more wrong. Everybody from the reception staff to the GP displayed high levels of customer service and professionalism. I received an appointment within 2 days of joining and was even running a little late from work and they reassured me that I would be fine to see the doctor. Don't allow the negative reviews to put you off! Very impressed, thank you to all staff for such a positive first-time experience.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 22 October 2016

Dear Ms Barnes,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you have had a positive patient experience with us at Queens Road Surgery. Your comments have been shared with our whole team.

Anonymous gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Quick, helpful and friendly

I popped in to book an appointment, expecting a long wait, and they happened to have a free slot in 15 minutes. I was very nervous and the doctor was calm, friendly and reassuring. I dread going to the doctor's, but the doctor put me at ease and was nice about me clearly being nervous. I figure it's easy to only leave reviews if something negative happens, so thought it'd only be fair to leave a positive one on here too!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Dear Patient,

Thank you for taking the time to leave the above feedback regarding your appointment with one of our GP's at the practice. We are very pleased to know that you had a good experience with us at Queens Road Surgery. Your comment has been passed along to the whole team.

delores gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Queens Road

This is what I would say about Queens Rd Surgery. I have been attending this surgery for many many years and have seen a lot changes. All the staff there now are very welcoming, always smiling, easy to talk to and a breath of fresh air. They are understanding and knowledgeable and make you feel at ease. Long may they keep up the good work.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 19 August 2016

Dear Delores,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave the above positive feedback. We are dedicated to improving our patients experiences at Queens Road Surgery and are pleased to know that you are impressed with our administrative team. Your comments have been shared with the whole practice.

Anonymous gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Awful surgery, avoid at all costs

The level of service and care at this practice is appalling. The receptionists are rude and unprofessional. The majority of Dr's lack empathy, patience and even a smile.

My routine hospital referral was allegedly sent to King's, after not hearing nothing for three months I was left no option but to call every department possible, to only be told no referral had been sent. This was the beginning of a frustrating cycle of me calling the gp reception team, being told my matter would be chased up and I would be called back, to waiting a week with no call back, having to call the gp myself, being fobbed off with why no one has contacted me, this went on for over a month. It took two further Dr appointments and 6 months from my initial 'referral' for it to actually be sent. It took seven days for me to receive an appointment from the hospital, my hospital appointment is a further 3 months away. Had my referral been sent when it was supposed to, I would have been seen at least 5months ago. To date I have not received no explanation or apology from the reception team, practice management or Dr. My mother also experienced the same issue of her referral not being faxed over so this is definitely not an isolated issue. 3 receptionists and 1 nurse were not even able to photocopy a document of mine between them, so there is no surprise here why our referrals were never sent.

The receptionist, felt it ok to shout 'don't be late', after booking me an appointment with the nurse, I have never been late to a single appointment so was dumbfounded and embarrassed by this comment.

Recently I called to find out my blood test results, as my follow up appointment was cancelled and moved to the following week by the surgery. The receptionist was reluctant, rude and sarcastic when I asked to be told my results, I explained that I understood how to interpret my results as this was something I had been tested for many times over the years. I explained I suffer with anxiety and waiting a further week for my results was a long time especially as the Dr had requested an appointment with me to discuss the findings. After telling me my result I was sarcastically asked 'do you still need to see the Dr', followed by the phone being slammed down on me.

I would not recommend this surgery to anyone. It's hard at the best of times to get the Dr's to listen and involve me in decisions about my care and treatment, staff do not treat people with dignity and respect here.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 03 September 2016

Queens Road Surgery replied on 04 May 2017

Dear Patient,

Thank you for taking the time to leave the above feedback. I am sorry for the negative experience’s that you have had at Queens Road Surgery.

I am be keen to investigate these incidences further. If you would be happy for me to do so please contact me at the surgery on 020 7639 1133.

Adrian gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 1 stars

This place is hell on earth

I came in with an open mind. I wanted this to work out because I know how hard it is for the people that work in places like Queens Road Surgery not to hate their job. I know that they are overwhelmed. I know that they lack fund and resources. I took this all into consideration but time after time having a doctor that wouldn't listen or would tell you to "stop talking" when asking a question is just unacceptable. The doctors don't listen, yell at you then tell you to make appointments without giving you the necessary forms for the next appointment then throw their hands in the air when you come in for said appointment and say "not our fault." The doctors need to re-trained on how to deal with the public. If you don't like dealing with the public, then don't be a doctor.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

Queens Road Surgery replied on 12 August 2016

Thank you for your comment posted on 8th August 2016.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience at Queens Road Surgery. Our aim is to provide a safe, caring and professional experience for all of our patients and I am sad to hear that we fell short on this occasion.

It would be very helpful if we could meet to discuss in more detail what happened and what we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. Please can you send me an email at souccg.qrs@nhs.net so that we can schedule this.

Edward Drake - Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Queens Road Surgery a rating of 1 stars

The local community deserves a better option

The building is in a very poor state of repair and the staff think it's appropriate to prop the front door open with a kitchen bin in hot weather. The nurses and one GP are very good but this isn't consistent across the practice. One GP is exceptionally unhelpful and seems like they don't want to be there while another conducted an appointment in bare feet with their smelly wet socks drying on a radiator. This doesn't show a lot of respect for patients, which is a theme at this practice. It's at the heart of a depressed area and you get the impression that some of the staff think that the patients aren't worthy of their effort.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 28 July 2016

Queens Road Surgery replied on 12 August 2016

Thank you for your feedback posted on 2nd August 2016.

We completely agree with you that the building is not suitable for a modern GP surgery. We are working closely with NHS England to relocate the surgery to a suitable building in the same locality as a matter of urgency.

Despite the challenges of the building, we do aim to provide the best possible level of care for all of our patients. I am sorry to hear that your recent interactions with the surgery have made you feel otherwise. I welcome you to come and meet with me to discuss this further, please email souccg.qrs@nhs.net to schedule a meeting.

Thank you also for highlighting the poor first impression caused by using a waste paper bin to prop open the front door. We will stop doing this immediately.

Edward Drake - Practice Manager