Your health, your way

Your NHS guide to long-term conditions and self care

Concerns and complaints

If you can’t find the services you need, or they don’t exist in your area, talk to your GP or local primary care trust (PCT), the organisation responsible for providing services in your local area.

If you’re unhappy with the treatment or service you receive from your doctor or the NHS, you may wish to make a complaint. It will be considered and replied to by the NHS organisation or the healthcare professional concerned. You can also make a complaint or raise a concern on behalf of another person, with their permission.

All GPs should have a written complaints procedure, which you can find at reception or on the surgery's website. Alternatively, you can also complain to the PCT. Get details of your local PCT.

Find out more about how to complain in the NHS complaints procedure.

A Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) has been established in every NHS and primary care trust. It’s not part of the complaints procedure itself, but it might be able to resolve your problem informally or tell you more about the complaints procedure.

You can also find information on the performance of local services, and rate your hospital and GP surgery, by entering your condition and your postcode into our Find and choose services tool.  

Page last reviewed: 02/11/2012

Next review due: 02/11/2014


The 1 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

rayanlee said on 25 January 2013

As modern life becomes increasingly complicated and consumers are faced with understanding more and more technologies and environments, it can be difficult to know if the user has just misunderstood how a product or service works, or if there is a genuine problem with it. Any good customer service department should be happy to deal with such a customer, in either case. A company needs to know if its products, or the accompanying documentation, are just too complicated for its target consumer market.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Search for services

Get help with all aspects of your long-term condition from the NHS in your area

NHS complaints

If you're not happy with the care you've received, you have the right to complain. Find out how