You are here:

Seeking medical treatment in Europe

What is the S2 route?

The S2 (formerly E112) route entitles you to state-funded treatment in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. Treatment will be provided under the same conditions of care and payment as for residents of that country. This could mean you have to pay a percentage of the costs personally.

For example, in some countries, patients cover 25% of the costs of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a 'co-payment charge'. The state covers the other 75%. If you received treatment under this healthcare system, you would be expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country. For example, for an operation that costs £8,000 of which you're expected to pay a standard patient co-payment charge of 25%, you will pay £2,000. The state will pay the remaining £6,000 to the institution treating you. However, you may be able to claim back some or all of the co-payment when you return to the UK. To apply for a refund of the co-payment, you will need to contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on 0191 218 1999 or overseas.healthcare@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.

In some countries, as in the UK, care is completely free. This means the S2 will cover 100% of the costs of your care, so you would not be required to pay any treatment costs upfront. Please note that the treatment covered by an S2 cannot be experimental treatment or a drug trial.

How to apply

To be issued with an S2 form, you will need to apply for funding (PDF, 69kb) prior to treatment. NHS England will decide whether or not to approve your application and will need to be satisfied that:

  • A UK NHS consultant has recommended in writing that you be treated in the other EEA country, and that a full clinical assessment has been carried out to demonstrate that the treatment will meet your specific needs.
  • The costs of sending you abroad for treatment are justified. The health commissioner is responsible for spending money efficiently and fairly, in the interest of all the patients they look after.
  • The treatment is available under the other country’s state health scheme.
  • You're entitled to treatment under the NHS.

If NHS England approves your application, you will be issued with an S2 form. You will need to take this form with you to the other member state in which you will be receiving treatment. For more information, contact NHS England.

Maternity

S2s to cover maternity care in another EEA country are processed differently. For more information see our section Giving birth outside the UK.

Comments

The 2 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

campogirl said on 23 May 2013

I am living in Spain and as a pensioner I am registered for Spanish health care. I need to come to England for a follow up cancer review following treatment I received while in England, and believe I need a S2, Can I get it from England or do I need to get it in Spain.

The web site I have looked at seems to talk about going abroad for health treatment. How do I do the opposite?

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

anobium said on 02 November 2012

Can anyone advise re form S1, that is how to apply etc. I have a UK address but spend most of my time abroad. The EHIC card is apparently not the same as the S1 but I have not been able to get info.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Page last reviewed: 24/09/2013

Next review due: 24/09/2015

S2 eligibility criteria

To be eligible for the S2 route you must:

  • be ordinarily resident in England
  • be receiving treatment in the state sector
  • be able to prove that the hospital will accept an S2 
  • provide a letter of support from your UK consultant
  • provide an estimation of cost
  • provide the proposed dates of treatment 

 

Travel health videos

Watch our travel health videos and get ready for your next holiday, including tips on beach safety and how to apply sunscreen

Dental treatment abroad

Thinking about going abroad for dental care? Find out about potential problems and how to minimise the risks