You are here:

Country-by-country guide

Accessing healthcare in Slovenia

You will be treated on the same basis as a Slovenian resident. Remember, each country’s health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

It is important that you ensure you are treated by a state healthcare provider as you will not be covered for private healthcare. You should be particularly careful if the healthcare arrangements have been made by a hotel or travel representative.

Swiss nationals are not covered in Slovenia.



Anyone wanting to travel or move to Slovenia is advised to update their tetanus injection as well as considering jabs against hepatitis A and B, typhoid, raibies and diphteria. This is especially important if you are planning to visit any rual areas.



Where to get information while in Slovenia

The Health Insurance Institute of Slovenia (HIIS) will be able to provide information.

Health Insurance Institute of Slovenia (HIIS)
24 Miklosiceva Cesta

Telephone: 0038 6130 772 20

Information is also available online just visit the 'UK in Slovenia' website provided by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).


Emergency numbers

In case you find yourself in an emergency during your stay in Slovenia, dial 112. You might want to save the number in your phone. 


Treatment, coverage and costs


You should consult a doctor that is registered with the Health Insurance Institute (HIIS). Even with your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you may have to pay a standard patient contribution towards your treatment. If you can't provide an EHIC, you will be asked to pay the full treatment costs.
This is non-refundable.

The same conditions apply if you seek a dentist during your visit.

Hospital treatment

You will need a referral for inpatient hospital treatment.


You can go to any pharmacy in Slovenia. Medicine charges may vary depending on your prescription. This is non-refundable.


Emergency services are free of charge. However, a doctor has to confirm that you are really in need of an ambulance. If you use an ambulance and no urgency is declared, you will have to pay up to 70% of the ambulance service charges. This is non-refundable.

Air ambulance

No information available

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

The most common treatments or conditions that require advanced arrangements are listed below. For all other conditions or treatments, you should consult your doctor. Remember, for all treatments abroad you must present your EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advices you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquid: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit who will contact the dialysis unit in Slovenia nearest to where you will be staying. The provision of dialysis will be subject to availability in Slovenia. 

Leisure or business - using your EHIC in Slovenia

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access state-provided healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed in order to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

How to claim refunds

There is no refund system in Slovenia.


Living in Slovenia

If you're receiving a UK state pension, or in receipt of long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for an S1, which you should then present to the Slovenian health authorities.

For more details on how to apply for an S1, visit the  'Moving abroad' section.

How to register your S1

You will need to contact the Health Insurance Institute (HIIS). Additionally, you might be asked to provide a copy of the original S1 and a proof of identity.

Early retirees

From July 1 2014 you are no longer able to apply for residual S1 form.
If you already have a residual S1 this will not affect you – it will continue to be valid until its original expiry date. Find out more about the new rules.

Working in Slovenia

This section applies if you have been issued with an E106, your posting is for less than two years and you are using an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access healthcare.

How to register your E106

You will need to contact the Health Insurance Institute (HIIS). Additionally, you might be asked to provide a copy of the original E106 and a proof of identity.

How to register with a GP

No information available


Am I still eligible for treatment under the NHS?

UK citizens registered in another EEA country and using an E106 or E121 are not automatically eligible for free treatment in the UK.

You should also visit the 'Planned treatment abroad' section for detailed information.


Page last reviewed: 23/06/2011

Next review due: 23/06/2013

EHIC changes

You will no longer be able to claim a refund in the UK for most patient co-payments for treatment received after July 1 2014

Travel health videos

Watch our travel health videos and get ready for your next holiday, including tips on beach safety and how to apply sunscreen

travelling with the kids

Travelling with children

Travel health for children, including advice on sun protection, pool safety, medicines and travel sickness

Healthy holidays

How to keep your family healthy during the summer holidays. Includes beach safety, camping safety and free activities