You are here:

Country-by-country guide

Accessing healthcare in Malta

You will be treated on the same basis as a resident of Malta. Remember, each country’s health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care. If you have to make such a payment , you may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in Malta.

It is important that you ensure that you are treated by a state healthcare provider as you will not be covered for private healthcare. You should be particularly careful if the healthcare arrangements have been made by a hotel or travel representative.

Non-EEA nationals are covered in Malta.


Where to get information while in Malta

Contact the Ministry of Social Policy for information.

Ministry of Social Policy
Palazzo Castellania,
15 Merchant's Street,
VLT 2000,



Emergency numbers

In case you find yourself in an emergency during your stay in Malta, dial 112. You might want to save the number in your phone.

Treatment, coverage and costs


Treatment is available from doctors in public health centres. Remember, for all treatments you must present your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).


It is not necessary to register with a dentist for state-provided dental care.

Acute emergency dental treatment is provided free of charge, however, you should seek a public hospital or health centre as it is not widely available. Most dentists practise privately. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

Hospital treatment

Treatment in the accident and emergency department of a public hospital is free of charge. Remember, for all treatments you must present your EHIC.


Any medication prescribed during inpatient treatment, or for the first three days after you are discharged, is free. However, you will be charged in full for anything prescribed after this period and these charges are not refundable. You must show your EHIC.


Ambulance travel is free in an emergency as long as you can prove you are entitled to treatment. Remember, for all treatments you must present your EHIC.

Air ambulance

No information available 

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

The most common treatments or conditions that require advanced arrangements are listed below. For all other conditions or treatments, you should consult your doctor. Remember, for all treatments abroad you must present your EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advices you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquid: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Air Products: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about how to make travel arrangements, including advice on:

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit who will contact the dialysis unit in Malta nearest to where you will be staying. However, the provision of dialysis will be subject to availability in Malta. 

Leisure or business - using your EHIC in Malta

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access state provided healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed in order to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

How to claim refunds

Contact the Maltese Ministry of Health, Entitlement Unit and show your original receipts.

Minsitry of Health
Entitlement Unit
24 St. John’s Street,

Telephone: 0035 6 21 22 40 71


If you have had to pay for the cost of your care and have been unable to claim a refund during your stay in Malta you should contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle) on 0191 218 1999 (Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm) on your return to the UK. However, this process will take longer than claiming for a refund in Malta. 

Living in Malta

If you're receiving a UK state pension, or in receipt of long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for an E121, which you should then present to the health authorities in Malta.

However, if you move to Malta to live but not work and do not receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare cover, paid for by the UK. In this case, you will need to apply for an E106.

For more details on how to apply for an E121 or E106, visit the  'Moving abroad' section. 

How to register your E121 or E106

Contact the Maltese Ministry of Health, Entitlement Unit, which will issue you with a 'Certificate of Entitlement'. You will need to show this form when seeking treatment in public health facilities.

How to register with a GP

It is not necessary to register with a doctor or dentist.

Working in Malta

This section applies if you have been issued with an E106

How to register your E106

Contact the Maltese Ministry of Health, Entitlement Unit, which will issue you with a 'Certificate of Entitlement'. You will need to show this form when seeking treatment in public health facilities.

How to register with a GP

It is not necessary to register with a doctor or dentist.

Am I still eligible for treatment under the NHS?

UK citizens registered in another EEA country and using an E106 or E121 are not automatically eligible for free treatment in the UK.

You should also visit the 'Planned treatment abroad' section for detailed information.


Page last reviewed: 23/06/2011

Next review due: 23/06/2013

Insect bites

Most insect bites can be easily treated, but if your symptoms are severe, visit your GP as soon as possible


Anyone can get sunburnt, even those with higher levels of melanin

Beach safety

A holiday at the seaside is fun for the whole family. An RNLI lifeguard explains what to look out for to stay safe on the beach.

Media last reviewed: 01/08/2013

Next review due: 01/08/2015