Drug addiction: getting help

If you have a problem with drugs, there's a wide range of addiction services that can help.

Some of these services are provided by the NHS, and some are specialist drug facilities run by charities and private organisations.

You can use the service search to find your nearest NHS drug addiction support services.

This guide to getting treatment for a drug problem will steer you through the options, so you can find help that works for you. If you have a problem with drugs, you have the same entitlement to care as anyone coming to the NHS for help with any other health problem.

With the right help and support it's possible for you to get drug free and stay that way.

Where to get help for drugs

A good place to start is to visit your GP. Your GP can discuss your concerns with you, assess the nature of your problems and help you choose the most appropriate treatment. Your GP might offer to treat you or might refer you to your local specialist drug service.

Many drug treatment services accept self-referrals so, if you're not comfortable talking to your GP, you might be able to approach your local drug treatment service directly.

You can find information about local drug treatment services on the Frank website.

If you’re having trouble finding the right sort of help, call the Frank drugs helpline on 0300 123 6600. An adviser can talk to you about the different options.

Your drugs keyworker

If you are seen at your local drug treatment service, you will first be assessed and, if you are deemed appropriate for treatment, you will then be allocated a keyworker. Your keyworker may be a doctor, a nurse or a drugs worker.

Your keyworker will help you organise the treatment that you need, develop a personalised care plan with you and be your first point of call throughout your treatment. You’ll see your keyworker for regular one-to-one sessions during your treatment.

Charity and private drugs treatment

Outside the NHS, there are many voluntary sector and private drug and alcohol treatment organisations that can help you. As well as residential rehab centres, community services of various types are provided by voluntary organisations. These include structured day programmes, outreach and harm reduction services, counselling services, aftercare and housing support services.

These organisations will usually be linked to NHS services in your area. 

Further information on drugs treatment

For more specific information about treatments, go to:

Page last reviewed: 08/10/2014

Next review due: 08/10/2016


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 98 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


The 1 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

kimms said on 20 October 2011

I also think that treating the addicts like normal people is the best way to approach them, it would make them open up and accept the idea of receiving treatment more easily. Having them accepting the treatment is a huge step towards recovery, I think most of those who start using the drug again never really wanted to get treatment from the start and went for it in order to please their family. Anyways, overcoming an addiction is like struggling to overcome another evil self and attending something like
heroin rehab centers helps a lot, but in the end it's up to you if you stay away from drugs or not.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Services near you

Find addresses, phone numbers and websites for services near you

Cannabis: the facts

How cannabis affects you, the risks, and where to find help if you're trying to quit weed

Illegal drugs in pregnancy

Find out about the risks of illegal highs in pregnancy

Heroin: getting help

Where to get help and the treatment options available if you've got a problem with heroin.