Caring for older relatives

Caring for an older disabled relative can have practical, financial and emotional challenges. But you’re not alone.

Carers Direct helpline

Get free, confidential information and advice on caring by calling the Carers Direct helpline: 0300 123 1053. Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), and 11am to 4pm on weekends.

There's lots of information and advice for carers in Your guide to care and support.

Alex Fox, assistant director of The Princess Royal Trust for Carers (now Carers Trust), answers questions on where to find practical and emotional support.

I’ve just started to care for an older relative. What's the first step to getting help?

Contact your local council to apply for a carer’s assessment.

As a carer, you’re entitled to an assessment of your needs. This is called a carer’s assessment, and it identifies the help that you need to care for your relative properly. This is separate from the community care assessment (section 47 assessment), which evaluates your relative's needs.

The Carers Trust has a national network of 144 carers' centres that can help. These centres offer a range of services, from information and advice, to emotional support, to education and training. You can find your local centre on its website.

What is evaluated at a carer’s assessment?

The carer’s assessment is not about how good you are at caring. It assesses how much support you need.

When you're filling in an assessment, be realistic about what your relative’s needs are. Think about the days when their needs are most severe. Don’t feel shy or underestimate the amount of support that your relative needs, otherwise you may end up getting inadequate support.

As a result of the carer’s assessment, someone may be sent to help you with the personal care of your relative, which will enable you to take short breaks from caring. You may also receive help with home adaptations and emotional support.

What is a section 47 assessment?

The section 47 assessment is a community care assessment of the support that your older relative needs. This is also called a health and social care assessment. It's carried out by your local social services department.

You may be entitled to help with caring for your relative, making home adaptations, getting specialist equipment and taking short breaks from your caring role.

Local authorities have their own policies on charging for the support that they provide based on the assessment.

My relative wants to continue living in her own home but needs some extra help to do this. What support is available to her?

Your relative may be eligible for home help. This usually means that a visitor will come to their home in the morning and during the evening.

The type of help available varies across local authorities. It also depends on your relative's mobility and how easily they perform personal care tasks, such as getting up, getting dressed and cooking a meal.

You can learn more in local authority funding for care and support.

My older relative is moving into our home. What help is available to us?

When your relative lives with you, this doesn’t affect your eligibility for support. You’re still entitled to a carer’s assessment and the support that may result from it. Take a look at this video on caring for a parent at home.

We're struggling to afford the costs of being carers. Are we entitled to financial help?

If you're aged between 16 and 65 and caring for 35 hours a week or more, you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.

Where can I find emotional support?

There are carers' centres in most areas and these can offer ongoing emotional support and advice. Staff will explain your options to you.

The centres also run groups for carers who want to meet other people in the same situation. They'll organise activities and social events for carers, who say they often feel isolated. The support and friendship of other carers can be important in helping you to cope in your caring role.

How can I arrange a short break from caring?

Caring is physically and emotionally demanding, so taking short breaks is important.

Learn more about how to arrange short breaks from caring, and your entitlement to them, at the Carers' breaks and respite care page.

Certain charities also provide breaks for carers. Find out about the types of breaks they offer.

Page last reviewed: 30/04/2014

Next review due: 31/08/2016


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 15 ratings

All ratings

6  ratings
4  ratings
1  ratings
0  ratings
4  ratings

Add your rating

Services near you

Find addresses, phone numbers and websites for services near you

Your NHS Health Check

Millions of people have already had their free "midlife MOT". Find out why this health check-up is so important

Caring and sharing your home

There can be many benefits to welcoming someone you care for into your home, but there are practical considerations too

Carers Direct helpline

If you need caring advice in a hurry, you can call Carers Direct free on 0300 123 1053, or read more about the helpline

Giving someone power of attorney

How using powers of attorney can help the person you look after put their affairs in order

Care services near you

Search for CQC-registered homecare services and care homes with and without nursing in your area

Living with a disability

Get practical, financial and emotional support, whether you're disabled or a carer