Pregnancy and baby

Rights and benefits for parents

Working out what benefits and rights you’re entitled to and making claims isn’t always easy. You can get advice from the following organisations:

  • Your local Jobcentre Plus, Citizens Advice Bureau, library or other advice centre.
  • Some local authorities have welfare rights officers. Phone your social services department and ask to speak to one.
  • Some voluntary organisations offer information and advice on benefits and rights at work. Try Gingerbread and Working Families
  • For advice on rights at work, call ACAS on 0845 747 4747.
  • The Money Advice Service is designed to help new parents plan their finances. Its website covers budgeting, state benefits, coping with the cost of bringing up children and childcare, maternity and paternity rights, savings and work. You can also call the Money Advice Service helpline on 0300 500 5000.

Information about parental benefits

If you want to find out more about your rights and benefits as a pregnant woman, or as a new parent visit GOV.UK.

GOV.UK has information on Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP), which you may be able to get after your baby is born, if you were working when you became pregnant and meet certain other conditions.

You may also qualify for benefits such as Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit.

The Department for Work & Pensions has detailed guidance on qualifying for maternity benefits.

The Child Maintenance Options also has important information about the different child maintenance options available if parents decide to separate.

Page last reviewed: 21/01/2014

Next review due: 21/01/2016


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 5 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


Image alt text

Get pregnancy and baby emails

Sign up for week-by-week emails about your pregnancy and baby, with advice from experts, mums and dads

'Planning our meals was key to saving'

Rob and Lisa used the Eat4Cheap challenge to save money and get creative in the kitchen

Services near you

Get help with all aspects of your parenting from the NHS in your area