Japanese encephalitis 


Accessing healthcare abroad

It is a good idea to keep a list of important telephone numbers with you when travelling abroad. These should include numbers for:

  • local emergency services
  • a representative of the travel company you booked your visit with
  • your travel insurer
  • the British consulate or embassy in the area you are visiting – GOV.UK has a directory of British consulates and embassies

Read more about accessing healthcare abroad.

Japanese encephalitis is a type of viral brain infection that is spread through mosquito bites. It's most common in rural areas throughout South East Asia, the Pacific islands and the Far East, but is very rare in travellers.

The virus is found in pigs and birds, and is passed to mosquitoes that bite the infected animals. It’s more common in rural areas where there are pig farms and rice fields. It cannot be spread from person to person.

Read more about the causes of Japanese encephalitis.

Signs and symptoms

Most people infected by the Japanese encephalitis virus have either no symptoms, or mild symptoms that are short-lived and flu-like.

In less than 1 in every 250 cases, the infection can spread to the brain (encephalitis) and cause more serious symptoms, such as:

  • seizures (fits)
  • confusion
  • inability to speak
  • paralysis (inability to move certain body parts)

There is currently no cure for Japanese encephalitis. Treatment involves supporting the functions of the body as it tries to fight off the infection. This will usually require the person being admitted to hospital, where you can be given fluids, oxygen and medication to treat any symptoms.

Up to one in every three people who develop more serious symptoms will die, and many of those who survive are left with permanent brain damage.

Read more about the symptoms of Japanese encephalitis.

When to seek medical advice

You should seek immediate medical advice if you have any of the symptoms of Japanese encephalitis and have recently visited, or are still in, an area where the infection is found.

For information about who to contact when you need immediate medical help abroad, visit the GOV.UK website. If you are already back in the UK, see your GP.

Your GP or the healthcare professional treating you will ask about your symptoms, where you have been travelling, what you did on your trip and what vaccinations you have had. If necessary, they may carry out a blood test to see if you have an infection.

How common is Japanese encephalitis?

It’s very rare for travellers from outside risk areas to be affected by Japanese encephalitis. It is estimated that less than one in a million travellers will develop Japanese encephalitis in any given year. There has not been a reported case in a traveller returning to the UK for over 10 years.

The people most at risk are those who live and work in rural areas where the condition is widespread. Around 75% of cases involve children under the age of 15.

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that there are around 68,000 cases of Japanese encephalitis worldwide each year.

Preventing Japanese encephalitis

The best way to prevent Japanese encephalitis is to be vaccinated against the infection before you visit a part of the world where there's a risk of infection. The risk is greater if you're planning to visit rural areas or go hiking or camping.

The vaccine, which is usually only available privately, provides protection against Japanese encephalitis in more than 9 out of 10 people who receive it.

Even if you have been vaccinated, you should still take precautions to reduce your risk of being bitten by an infected mosquito, such as:

  • sleeping in rooms with close-fitting gauze over the windows and doors. If you're sleeping outside, use mosquito nets that have been impregnated with an insecticide
  • covering up with long-sleeved tops, trousers and socks
  • applying a good quality insect repellent to exposed areas of skin

Read more about preventing Japanese encephalitis.

Page last reviewed: 18/03/2014

Next review due: 18/03/2016


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 59 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


The 4 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

lohlathinks said on 27 June 2014

My son caught Japanese encephalitis in Thailand and it was diagnosed in Hong Kong. At first they thought it was meningitis. He was told before he left U.K.that he did not need the vaccination and as it was expensive chose not to have it. I would urge travellers to have the vaccination and take really good precautions against mosquito bites in Thailand.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

willt1985 said on 15 April 2013

If you read the article it ways that "Japanese encephalitis can be fatal in around one in three people who develop these serious symptoms."
So it is 1 in 3 people from the 1 in 250 who develop serious side effects that die.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Skachbow said on 05 November 2012

The same thing struck me - these statements contradict each other:'Most people who are infected by the Japanese encephalitis virus do not develop any symptoms, or they get only mild, flu-like symptoms.
However, around one person in 250 infected by the virus has serious and severe symptoms...Around one in three cases of encephalitis is fatal.'
which is true? or do you mean that 1 in 3 of those who develop symptoms?.....
I'd really appreciate an answer to this - it would affect what decision I make re immunisation....

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

User281147 said on 25 June 2009

This article states that "In most cases the illness is mild", however goes on to say that up to 60% of people develop serious inflammation of the brain, which can lead to permanent brain damage or death.

Can you clarify if this is a mild or serious illness?

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Travel illnesses and vaccinations

Travel vaccinations and avoiding infectious diseases abroad, including hepatitis A, malaria, yellow fever and polio

Travel insurance

Having both travel insurance and a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will save you a lot of money in case of an emergency