Hiccups 

Introduction 

Hiccups are not usually serious and in most cases they only last for a few minutes. 

Digestive health

Find out how to beat common digestive problems like bloating and indigestion

Hiccups occur when the diaphragm suddenly and involuntarily contracts (tightens), resulting in a hiccup sound being produced at the top of the windpipe.

The medical name for hiccups is "singultus".

The diaphragm is a thin membrane of muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdomen (tummy). It is underneath the ribcage and helps to control breathing.

Hiccups are a reflex action, which means that you do not have any control over them. Hiccups are not usually serious and in most cases only last a few minutes.

Long-lasting hiccups

In rare cases, hiccups can last for a long time. Hiccups that last more than 48 hours can be categorised into:

  • persistent or protracted hiccups – a bout of hiccups that lasts for more than 48 hours
  • intractable hiccups – a bout of hiccups that lasts longer than a month

Who gets hiccups?

Hiccups are common and most people will get them at some point during their life. They can affect people of any age, including babies. Men and women are equally affected by episodes of short-lived hiccups.

However, for reasons that are unclear, persistent and intractable hiccups are more common in men. Intractable hiccups are more common in adults. These types of hiccups can be tiring and upsetting, and can make eating and drinking difficult.

It is important to remember that persistent and intractable hiccups are rare and usually caused by another underlying health condition. In 80% of cases of persistent or intractable hiccups, a cause can be identified. The remaining 20% of cases usually have a psychological cause.

Read more about the causes of hiccups.

Treating hiccups

Most hiccups will pass quickly and usually only last a few minutes. Treatment is not usually required.

However, in cases of persistent or intractable hiccups that last longer than 48 hours, further investigations are needed to identify the cause and appropriate treatment.

Read more about how hiccups are diagnosed.

As well as treatment for underlying conditions, there are also self-help techniques that may help some people to stop common types of hiccups.

Read more information about treating hiccups

Page last reviewed: 05/09/2012

Next review due: 05/09/2014

Ratings

How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 72 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating

Comments

The 1 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

ypri said on 18 February 2011

I had a case of persistent hiccups once. I had the hiccups for over two weeks - was in the US at the time. Went to a doctor who ended up putting a tube through my nose to my stomach to release trapped air - worked a treat! I found some good treatments that got me temporary relief at http://www.get-rid-of-hiccups.com

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Embarrassing conditions

Self care tips for treating embarrassing conditions, including bad breath, flatulence, smelly feet, piles and sweating