Walking is great exercise too!
Did you know that everyday walking is good for you? It doesn't have to be hours slogging around in the middle of nowhere; any brisk walk over 10 minutes counts – whether it's to the shops or walking the dog.
Walking is pretty special. Most of us do it everyday so it's easy to take for granted, but walking is not only good for your health - it can even make you look and feel better!
For more information, see walk4life.info
Why walking is brilliant
- You don't have to plan it, so you can be spontaneous! All you need are your feet and a pair of trainers or comfy shoes.
- You can do it whatever the weather. If it's raining, don't be put off, grab a coat and wellies and get out there. The kids will love jumping in the puddles too.
- It's sociable – take a friend and have a good natter. Or have a nice long chat with your family.
- It's a great way to make short journeys instead of taking the car; and you save money.
- You're probably doing it already.
- It's free!
Back to top
Walking and exercise: did you know?
- Walking is good for bones and muscles: helping your kids grow up big and strong.
- It burns calories: in fact a brisk walk burns the same amount of calories as a run over the same distance!
- It builds stamina.
- It helps beat stress: walking can make you feel good and more relaxed.
- It can cut your risk of heart disease by up to 50%, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and the risk of some cancers
- It boosts your immune system for 24 hours
- It can even lower your blood pressure.
Back to top
A few quick ideas:
The secret is to keep walking fun for kids: once they see it's enjoyable and not a chore, you're on to a winner. So come on, show lots of enthusiasm!
Got any great tips for staying healthy by walking? Why not share them on our Facebook page?
Get the family walking everyday
From walking to school to taking the dog out, it's easy to fit in a bit of walking every day.
Make walking part of the event
Whatever you've got planned for the day, why not walk there? Whether it's the swimming pool or cinema just leave the car at home.
Walk the dog
Dogs know walking is good for you. Find out why it's such a feel good exercise, by taking your dog - or the neighbour's - out every day.
Get off the bus early
If the weather's nice, walk the first part of your journey and get on the bus a couple of stops later – or get off a few stops early.
Make a day of it!
Many cities and towns have organised walks that you can join and there are also plenty of walks in more rural settings. Kids will enjoy themes ranging from nature, to local history.
Back to top