5 A DAY portion sizes - how much is a portion of fruit or veg?
For adults, the rough guide below can help you work out whether you're eating your 5 A DAY:
A portion of fruit (80g) is roughly equivalent to:
- a slice or half a large fruit e.g. a slice of melon or half a grapefruit.
- 1 medium size fruit e.g. an apple.
- 2 small size fruits e.g. 2 plums or satsumas.
A portion of dried fruit (30g) is roughly equivalent to:
- a heaped tablespoon of dried fruit
A portion of vegetables (80g) is roughly equivalent to:
- 3 heaped tablespoons of peas, beans or pulses.
- 2 broccoli spears.
- a dessert bowl of salad.
The amount that kids should eat depends on their size and age – there are no set rules. But a good guide to a portion for them is the amount they can fit into the palm of their hand.
Read more about 5 A DAY on NHS Choices