You are here:

Care and support

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is the new benefit that is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people with a disability aged 16 to 64.

As with DLA, PIP is designed to help you meet some of the extra costs you may have because of a long-term health condition or disability.

Claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Anyone aged 16-64 who wants to claim a disability benefit will have to claim PIP from June 10 2013.

Most DLA claimants will not be assessed for PIP until October 2015 or later. However, some current DLA claimants in Wales, the Midlands, East Anglia and the north of England, are already being asked to claim PIP.

For more information, see At what age can I claim PIP? below.

To make your claim, call 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777) to register your details and you will be sent the how your disability affects you form.

Am I affected by the change from DLA to PIP?

Use the online Personal Independence Payment checker at GOV.UK: PIP checker to see how and when you may be affected by the move to PIP.

Who qualifies for PIP?

To qualify for PIP, you must have needed help with extra costs caused by a health condition or disability for three months or more (although you can make a claim sooner than this). You must also be likely to need help for the next nine months

You must meet the residence and presence rules.

At what age can I claim PIP?

You can claim for PIP if you are aged 16 to 64 years.

If you are under 16 you should claim DLA for children instead.

If you’re 65 or over, you should claim Attendance Allowance (AA) instead.

If you had a claim for DLA that ended within the past year and you were aged 65 and over and you were aged over 65 on April 8 2013, you can renew your DLA claim, otherwise you can claim PIP instead.

If it’s more than a year since your DLA award ended, and you are aged 65 and over then you must claim AA instead.

To claim, contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0845 850 3322 (textphone 0845 601 6677).

How much PIP will be paid?

PIP is paid as two separate components. These are:

  • a PIP daily living component
  • a PIP mobility component

The PIP daily living component and the PIP mobility component can be paid at the standard rate or the enhanced rate, depending on your needs.

The rates for Personal Independence Payment are:

  • standard daily living component £53 per week
  • enhanced daily living component £79.15 per week
  • standard mobility component £21 per week
  • enhanced mobility component £55.25 per week

How Personal Independence Payment is paid

The amount you get is based on how your health condition or disability affects how well you carry out "everyday activities". It takes into account the difficulties you face and the help you would need to do them – even if you don’t actually get any help.

The decision about whether you receive PIP for daily living depends on your ability to carry out certain activities, including:

  • preparing food
  • eating 
  • managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
  • washing and bathing
  • managing toilet needs or incontinence
  • dressing and undressing
  • communicating verbally
  • reading
  • mixing with other people
  • making decisions about money

The decision about whether you receive PIP for mobility depends on your ability to move around and to plan and undertake a journey.

How the DWP will decide if a claimant is entitled to PIP

Once you have started your claim by phone, you will be asked to complete a "how your disability affects you" form. On the form you will be asked to describe your condition or disability and how it affects you.

You should include any supporting evidence you have, including details of your doctor or of another health professional who is best placed to offer advice about your condition.

Most people will have to attend a face-to-face consultation with a health professional as part of their claim.

Everyone will have a varying level of ability to carry out the activities outlined above. Some people will be able to complete an activity without help, while others may not be able to complete the activity at all. For each activity, a point score is decided based on this level of ability and need (the point scores increase as needs increase).

The PIP assessment also takes into account where support is needed from other people to carry out an activity. This can include supervision (to stop accidents happening), prompting (to remind or encourage someone about the activity, but not physically help) and assistance (where a carer needs to be physically present to do or intervene with an activity).

The standard rate of the PIP component is paid if a person has a total score of from eight to 11 points (inclusive). The enhanced rate of the PIP component is paid if a person has a score of 12 points.

If the DWP decides that you are eligible for PIP, this decision will be reviewed periodically to make sure it remains correct and continues to help to meet your needs.

If the DWP decides you are not eligible, or you are unhappy with your PIP claim in some other way, you may want to ask for the decision to be reconsidered. If you are not satisfied with the response after this, you may wish to appeal.

The official source of information on benefits is GOV.UK.

Special rules for terminally ill people

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will deal more quickly with claims for PIP from people who have a terminal illness and are not expected to live for more than six months.

These people will not be required to attend a face-to-face consultation, or to fulfil the three-month qualifying period for claiming PIP.

Providing the conditions are met, both the daily living and the mobility component of PIP will be paid straight away.

A DS1500 medical report (available from your doctor, nurse, social worker or palliative care nurse) will help to support the claim. As PIP is claimed by phone it is important that the DS1500 has the patient’s date of birth, postcode and, if possible, National Insurance number on it. 

PIP if your circumstances change

If you are getting PIP it is your responsibility to tell the DWP if your circumstances change because this can affect how much you get. For example, tell the DWP if:

  • the level of help you need changes or your condition changes
  • you go into hospital or a care home for more than four weeks
  • you go abroad for more than four weeks

You can contact the DWP on 0845 850 3322 (textphone 0845 601 6677) to let them know how your circumstances changed.

PIP and hospital stays

PIP is not usually paid if you are in hospital when you claim, but will be paid when you leave. However, it may be paid if you’re a private patient and you’re paying without help from the NHS, or if you are in a hospice because you are terminally ill.

PIP and going abroad

It is possible for you to continue to get PIP if you:

  • go abroad for 13 weeks or less, or
  • go abroad temporarily to get treatment for your incapacity or disability

You must get agreement from the DWP before you go abroad. You can contact the DWP on 0845 850 33 22 (textphone 0845 601 6677) to let them know about you going abroad and to seek agreement.


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 25 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


Page last reviewed: 10/04/2013

Next review due: 10/04/2015

Call Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053

Confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.

Find services near you

Caring money worries?

Find out what benefits you might get if you care for an ill or disabled person

On a budget

Articles and videos on living on a budget and coping when money is tight. Includes healthy eating, fitness and managing stress

Living with a disability

Get practical, financial and emotional support, whether you're disabled or a carer