You are here:

Your rights

  • Carers' rights

A guide to carers' rights

As a carer you have specific legal rights and entitlements. Knowing your rights can help you to get the support that you need.

These rights for carers include:

  • the right to have your needs assessed by your local authority
  • the right to receive direct payments so that you can chose what services to have
  • rights in the workplace

Your right to an assessment

Your right to an assessment of your needs is set out in the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000. This says that all carers aged 16 or above, who provide a "regular and substantial amount of care" for someone aged 18 or over, have the right to an assessment of their needs as a carer.

This is provided by the social services department of your local authority as a way to see if they can offer any support to aid you in your caring role.

If there is more than one carer providing regular care in your household, you are both entitled to an assessment.

The local authority has a responsibility to make sure a young carer’s own wellbeing is looked after and that they receive the necessary support. So, a 16 or 17 year old who cares for someone, even for a limited period, may be entitled to an assessment.

If you are a parent or have responsibility for a disabled child, your needs as a carer are assessed under The Children Act 1989. You have the right to a family needs assessment. You do not need to be the mother or father of the child.

The Carers (Equal Opportunities) Act

The Carers (Equal Opportunities) Act, which came into effect in April 2005, helps to ensure that carers are not disadvantaged because they are caring for another person. The law can help you in three ways.

Your right to know about assessments

The act makes it a legal requirement for all local authorities to ensure that you are made aware of your right to a carer’s assessment.

Your right to have your needs considered

The local authority must ask you about your daily activities when undertaking an assessment of your needs. They should find out if you work, if you want to work and whether you do or want to do any education, training or leisure activities. The authority must take all of these issues into account when deciding what services they give you and the person you look after.

Your right to have authorities co-operate on your behalf

Under the act, your local authority must work with other local authorities, education authorities, housing authorities and health service organisations. These authorities must consider a request for assistance from each other if:

  • a local authority asks for help to plan services for carers or the people they care for, or
  • when the carer’s role would be enhanced by the services provided by another authority. These services can be for either the carer or the person cared for.

Carers and direct payments

Direct payments are payments given by a local authority for those who have been assessed as needing help from social services. They can be issued if you are a carer aged 17 or over.

They can be used to buy services from an organisation or to employ someone to provide assistance. The direct payments can be used to buy the services that you have been assessed as needing to support you in your caring role.

This can be support that may help maintain your health and wellbeing, such as driving lessons, an evening course or a holiday so you can relax and have time to yourself. If you have been assessed as needing domestic help then you are entitled to a direct payment to buy the support services that you need.

Direct payments are meant to give you greater flexibility to organise support and services yourself. They are payments made instead of receiving services directly. There are some circumstances when direct payments cannot be made and your local authority can let you know about these.

Carers and employment rights

Since the Employment Act 2002 became law, working parents of disabled children under 18 have the right to request flexible working arrangements. Furthermore, since April 2007, you also have the right to ask for flexible working if you are a carer of an adult who is a relative or lives at the same address as you.

While you have the right to ask for flexible work in these circumstances, it is important to know that employers are not bound to grant these requests. However, they must give business reasons for refusing a request for flexible working.

Carers also have the right to take unpaid time off work for dependants (the people they care for) in an emergency.

Your NHS rights

You are entitled to expect to be treated in a certain way, as set out under the NHS Constitution. To find out more, visit the NHS rights and pledges page in our section on Choice in the NHS.

Watch the video below to find out about how one carer made sure she was able to exercise her rights.

Caring and discrimination

Find out why carers need to have access to support and advice about their rights.

Media last reviewed: 17/04/2014

Next review due: 17/04/2016


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 89 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


The 7 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

jantwokay said on 21 September 2014

I sympathise with Charlotte. I am over 60, have an autistic adult son who presents with behavioural challenges and both my parents have dementia. However, I have also had to juggle caring with work and my career and pensions have been affected negatively. Because my dependants are adult, I have the right to an occasional day for meetings and that's pretty much it. All support meetings are in the day when I cannot attend and I earn too much to qualify for benefits. I'm just as stuck as Charlotte, and there is little or no practical help for me either. What I gain by being slightly better off than the benefit dependent full time carer I lose in terms of stress and work-related problems and the resentment of colleagues. There are no winners here.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Charlotte Peters Rock said on 22 August 2014

I am a full time carer for one and a part time carer for two others. Where are my Carers' Rights?

I am told that I need to look after my health. If I try to do that, I am aimed either at the local authority (which does not deal in health) or at a range of chatiries, because I am seen as 'a charity case'.

I want the right to 14 days respite, for my demented partner, in a local and suitable facility, to be funded by theNHS (the health agency) so that I can have something to look forward to, in this 24 hours a day, 365 days a year - seemingly with no end - job.. which I am undertaking well beyond my own retirement age.

If I was at work, there would be legislation to protect me from working interminably. As it is, we hear platitudes, sound bites, lies and false promises.. but there is no practical help for those who everyone admits 'save the country a very large amount of money by their caring.

Health need is an NHS problem. We give and give and give.

It is time we had something in return. We need at least 14 days NHS fully funded respite, so that we can guard our own health.

Where is it?

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Solidslug said on 29 December 2013

My wife has been caring for our two autistic boys and challenging girl for the last 5 years having given up her job because it wasn't possible to do both.

Local Authorities have a legal duty to provide a carers assessment... So... That's what Kent has done.... Provided a careers assessment which identifies my wife's needs as a carer.... These remain unmet as their legal responsibility is to provide the assessment, not meet the needs!!!

She has since had a complete mental breakdown, thanks Kent

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Neville Surrell said on 06 November 2013

I am unsure who I should be talking to , I am a full time carer for my wife who has been diagnosed with moderate to severe CHFafter an NSTEMI in 2011.I am very much preoccupied with the concept that I am fighting a prolonged and drawn out, yet inevitable defeat.

I note much work has been undertaken for palliative carers/ loved one's of cancer patients, But the emotional needs of those who are involved in full time daily palliative care of a loved one who is slipping away through terminal conditions other than cancer seems somewhat wanting to me.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Algi said on 28 March 2013

I work 16 hours a week and care full time for my husband who has M.S. he goes for respite every 7-8 weeks and although initially agreed by my store manager he is now refusing my holiday for the agreed dates..........I am having to bargain with him to get my holidays. This Easter weekend I am having to work my usual Friday ans Saturday and an extra bank holiday Monday so I can have the following weekend off while john is in respite. He has told me that a carer needs are not classed as exceptional circumstances and I have signed my contract which states that the management can refuse any requested time off.before I booked the 2013 respite dates I gave him a copy if dates and he verbally agreed them so I could go ahead and book. He now says because I didn't get it in writing he doesn't have to stand by those he right ?

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

MMHP said on 10 September 2012

Very well said!

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

chris gwynne said on 16 January 2012

as much as we would like to believe that the law is on our side it doesn't really do anything at all. i had 3 breakdowns whilst working and being bullied by my managers. i finally became so ill i took redundancy. the union weren't much use to be honest.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Page last reviewed: 13/12/2013

Next review due: 13/12/2015

Call Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053

Confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.

Services near you

Carers emergency scheme

Find out about the carers emergency scheme and how it provides a safety net in the caring system

Carers Direct helpline

If you need caring advice in a hurry, you can call Carers Direct free on 0300 123 1053, or read more about the helpline

Carers: putting yourself first

Information on staying healthy and getting time off and respite so that you look after yourself and are able to keep caring

Carers: how to get practical support

Advice for carers with home care, care homes, equipment and more to help you with caring