You are here:


Help with emergency planning

The first step you should take when planning for an emergency should be to get an assessment of your needs. All carers have a legal right to an assessment carried out by the social services department of the local authority of the person you look after (or someone acting on its behalf). If you haven't had an assessment, ask for one: it can give you access to further help.

When you have the assessment, ensure that it covers what would happen in an emergency. This should come up automatically but it may not, so be prepared to ask. If you've already had a carer's assessment and planning for an emergency was not covered, you can ask the local authority to look at your assessment again and put this right.

You can find contact details for your local authority using the directory of local carers' services.

Carer's tip from Netbuddy

"It might be a good idea to choose someone from your family to be the person's guardian in case of death. You should ensure that person is familiar and keep them up-to-date with needs."

Visit Netbuddy to read more carers' tips like this

Who can help you make an emergency plan?

Every carer who has an assessment should be asked about emergencies and offered help to plan for them. Government guidance on the Carers and Disabled Children's Act 2000 clearly says that planning for unexpected events must be included in a carer's assessment.

If you provide care for someone with a mental health problem under the Care Programme Approach, there should be a written care plan that includes unexpected events. If you provide regular and substantial care for a person on the Care Programme Approach, you should have your own written care plan. This should include what action to take in specific, defined circumstances.

The social worker involved in your carer's assessment should be able to help you with planning, and they will probably be the first person you discuss this with.

To create an emergency plan that fits your needs, you will need to know:

  • the name, address and any other contact details of the person you look after
  • details of who you and the person you look after would like to be contacted in an emergency – this could be friends, family or professional people involved in the person's care
  • details of any medication the person is taking
  • details of any ongoing treatment they need

You can register with a carers emergency scheme in your area. If you do, a skilled worker trained to look at your individual situation may be able to help you make your emergency plans.

Watch the video below to see how a carer has benefitted from the peace of mind offered by a local carers emergency scheme.

Carers emergency scheme

Gordon Conochie from the Princess Royal Trust for Carers and Crossroads Care explains the carers emergency scheme, which gives peace of mind to carers. David, who cares for his partner Martin, carries a carers emergency card. It identifies him as a carer, and who he cares for, in case of an emergency. Please note that since this video was published the above organisations have become Carers Trust and Gordon Conochie is no longer working for the organisation.

Media last reviewed: 17/04/2014

Next review due: 17/04/2016



How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 16 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating

Page last reviewed: 09/04/2014

Next review due: 09/04/2016

Call Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053

Confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.

Services near you

Get the right medicine

Make sure you mention any medicines you take when you visit a hospital, dentist or new GP

Carers' assessments

Find out if you qualify for support from social services through a carer's assessment