You are here:


Complaints about assessments

If you or the person you're looking after want to complain about a decision made by social services, you can use the statutory complaints system.

Since April 1 2009 a new procedure has been in place for making complaints to your local authority. If you made a complaint before April 2009, the previous regulations still apply to you.

If you want to complain about your local authority, you should do so in writing or verbally to the complaints manager within 12 months.

Your local authority will respond within three working days to acknowledge receipt of your complaint. They will then discuss with you how long your complaint is likely to take to investigate. They must respond fully within six months unless a different time period has been discussed and agreed with you.

Each local authority is responsible for arrangements for dealing with complaints, so contact your local authority for a copy of their complaints procedure.

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from your local authority, contact the independent Local Government Ombudsman. The ombudsman investigates complaints about local councils.

Judicial review

In some cases where there is a serious error of law, it may be possible to apply to the High Court for a judicial review of the decision made by the local authority.

The time limit for applying for permission for a judicial review is three months from the date of the decision you want to complain about. This three-month maximum period of time is strictly applied.

This type of legal action is expensive unless you qualify for public funding (legal aid). You will need the help of a solicitor who specialises in this type of work. This area of law is called community care law. To find a qualified solicitor, visit The Law Society website or contact your Citizens Advice Bureau.


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 30 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


The 4 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

Richardemartin said on 23 October 2014

I will be glad to leave a comment, I am not receiving the correct treatments for my ankle injury on my right leg. I went to see a specialist in this problem and the first thing he mentioned was my mental illness I had. My appointment was cut from thirty minutes to fifteen minutes, I felt as if he was not listening to me and the appointment was rushed. I have still had NO follow up appointment even though I still get the crippling pains in my ankle and shins.
I also saw a GP about my varicose vein I have had on my right leg since I was burn with this problem, I had three operations on this leg back in the late 90s and the early 2000s.
I am still getting bad and uncomfortable pains in my leg, all I am being told is there is nothing they can do because the funding for these operations has been stopped. I try and stay active, I am not over weight weighing 67kg at the age of 41 and still managing to keep fit and eat well, I get problems with my leg all the time when I'm at work, sometimes I'm in that much pain I have tears in my eyes because of the pains. Yet there is nothing they can do, I am currently having to claim ESA while I'm of sick because of this problem. I would like to know why this is not considered an important problem which needs sorting out. The NHS say they cannot fund the operation I need, and the support socks which are not much help, I have to pay full price for.
Yet you hear in the news that they are paying for heroine addicts fix of methadone and now planning to reward over weight people because they are loosing weight and finally looking after there selves. These problems are both self inflicted and yet they get treatment for those problems. Yet my problem is not considered important enough to treat.
I want to know why they are rewarding these people for getting there selves in these situations.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

User607966 said on 19 October 2011

I find this website extremely difficult.I registered for CHOICES, although resident in Scotland and I want to leave a comment about having a colonoscopy on the page where the other 3 people left messages, but I do not know how to do this. Please advise so I can comment on the wonderful service at the Royal Infirmary Glasgow and comment about the colonoscopy procedure.Thank you in advance of you advising me how to do this. Yours , David R.Anderson.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Rob Finch said on 01 April 2010

S Perry,
Thanks for your comments - this page has been under review and has now been updated to reflect the current complaints procedure.
Many thanks.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

s perry said on 22 March 2010

hello this complaints procedure is out of date since april last year

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Page last reviewed: 19/08/2013

Next review due: 19/08/2015

Call Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053

Confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.

Services near you

About Healthwatch

Healthwatch is a new independent consumer champion that gathers and represents the views of the public about health and social care services in England