What if I’m not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare?

If you’re not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your local authority will discuss with you whether you may be eligible for support from them.

Care provided by local authorities

Local authorities, such as town, city, borough, metropolitan and county councils, provide social and community care services, including:

  • personal care at home, such as help with bathing, dressing and getting up and going to bed
  • delivery of hot or frozen meals
  • day centre facilities
  • care provided in a care home

What if I still have health needs?

If you’re not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, but you have health needs, the NHS may still pay for part of your care. This is sometimes known as a joint package of care.

One way this may happen is through NHS-funded nursing care. For more information, see What is NHS-funded nursing care?

Another way is for the NHS to provide other funding or services as part of your care plan.

Whether you’re eligible for NHS continuing healthcare or not, you can still use all the NHS services in your area, in the same way as any other NHS patient.

Will there be a charge?

There is no charge for the NHS part of a joint package of care.

Local authorities are allowed to charge for the services they provide, and most of them do so. If your local authority is part-funding your care package, you may have to pay towards the cost of their part of the care, depending on your income and savings. Some authorities have set maximum amounts that you can be charged, which varies from area to area.

Read the answers to more questions about caring, carers and long-term conditions.

Further information:


Coping with a long-term condition: the care plan

In this video, find out how a care plan helps patients take control of their condition by setting out goals that cater to their individual needs.

Media last reviewed: 27/04/2015

Next review due: 27/01/2018

Page last reviewed: 29/04/2015

Next review due: 31/08/2017