How do I register as a temporary resident with a GP?

If you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

To register as a temporary resident with a GP:

  • use the Find services directory to find GP surgeries in the area – you'll need a surgery that covers the area where you're staying
  • contact the surgery and ask to register as a temporary resident

The surgery will ask you to complete a GMS3 form (PDF, 80.56kb). 

You can register as a temporary resident with a GP in England if you are in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than three months.

Why should I register as a temporary resident?

You can register temporarily with a GP near where you're staying if you're ill or need medical advice while you're away from home – for example, if you're working, studying or on holiday.

You'll still remain registered with your permanent GP, but you can see your temporary GP for up to three months. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

Your temporary GP will pass details of any treatment you have to your permanent GP, who will add the information to your medical records.

What information do I need?

Try to have the following information with you when you see your temporary GP for the first time:

  • details of any medical conditions you have
  • details of medical conditions you've had in the past
  • the name of any medicines you're currently taking
  • details of anything you're allergic to
  • contact details for your permanent or previous GP

Read the answers to more questions about NHS services and treatments.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 15/08/2014

Next review due: 28/02/2017